Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Drifter posted:

DD comics have a lot of mysticism and yeah, alternate martial art spirit dimensions and ancient martial arts demons et cetera.

XboxPants posted:

1x08 In the comics Stick has his own order of Good Magic Ninjas called The Chaste. That shirtless guy one of them, someone named Stone. He is listed in the credits.

Cool thanks. That name is hilarious and explains his cliche goony Jedi no fun no family no love thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
1x12

Anyone else hoping for J Jonah Jameson after Urich was fired? "Hey, now he can go write for the Bugle... aw crud"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I caught the Absorbing Man Easter egg in ep2 and felt like some kind of nerd champion.

This is really good.

I'm also super hoping for the Punisher as a villain, since he's basically DD's opposite in every way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Xtanstic posted:

RI'm surprised Wesley died like such a chump, but I'm pretty glad they gave the moment to Karen Page.

Hilariously Wesley was the only thing that could have saved Ulrich's life. If he just told Fisk, they both would have gotten killed and that's that. If Fisk wasn't distracted, he gets the call and they are both dead. Wesley getting the call and trying to scare her into shutting up would have saved both their lives and kept Fisk from getting worked up. As an added bonus, it would have made no difference to how vulnerable Fisk was in the end. Indeed, nothing the main characters did outside the last episode mattered very much in bringing down Fisk. This is the totality of what they did: Daredevil beat up a cop, and protected another one. That's it. And it was enough, but those are the only two meaningful things our group did to actually take down Fisk. Karen did all that for nothing.

quote:

I seem to have grasped that Stick and the shirtless guy is an Iron Fist reference

Nope, that would be the Hand. Stick works for a group called the Chaste, which was founded by a member of the Hand. A member of the Hand that knew the original founder 500 years ago, and is still kicking today. They are supposed to be closer to the Hand's roots before it went evil and served a demon.

quote:

What's the deal with Gao and her 'I'm going home farther than China' talk? Alternate dimension?

All her stuff is a bunch of Iron Fist references, and she's probably from one of a few alternate kung fu dimensions.

quote:

Also what's the deal with the kid in the container that Stick killed? Some martial art prodigy meant to be molded into a weapon? Or was he like carrying some sort of bioweapon inside of him or something?

Ha ha ha, of course not. No, he was probably possessed by the demon that runs the Hand. They call it The Beast.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

General spoiler:

There's an awful lot of Iron Fist nods in this series, while I didn't notice anything for Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Guess the mystical elements of Iron Fist are a lot harder to sell to an audience that starts with Daredevil.
It makes a lot of sense for this one to connect a whole bunch to Iron Fist since the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones series will have a ton of overlap (Luke himself is gonna be in a bunch of Jessica Jones' series). It is a bummer that I think they're doing Iron Fist last though, as it's the one I really really really want.

Maybe Daredevil will end up being one of the Immortal Weapons in the tournament that they better be loving using as the entirety of the Iron Fist series.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

etalian posted:

It also benefit by having 13 episodes, instead of going with double of the number like Agents of Shield.

Felt more arc driven and focused instead of getting stuck in the monster of the week trap.

Agents of Shield went Monster of the Week because they had to write half their season without blowing the major twists in Winter Soldier. They basically had to write storylines without Hydra or Cosmic universe or any recognizable characters from the comics. As soon as Winter Soldier came out, they dropped that crap.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Hilariously Wesley was the only thing that could have saved Ulrich's life. If he just told Fisk, they both would have gotten killed and that's that. If Fisk wasn't distracted, he gets the call and they are both dead. Wesley getting the call and trying to scare her into shutting up would have saved both their lives and kept Fisk from getting worked up. As an added bonus, it would have made no difference to how vulnerable Fisk was in the end. Indeed, nothing the main characters did outside the last episode mattered very much in bringing down Fisk. This is the totality of what they did: Daredevil beat up a cop, and protected another one. That's it. And it was enough, but those are the only two meaningful things our group did to actually take down Fisk. Karen did all that for nothing.

Nope, that would be the Hand. Stick works for a group called the Chaste, which was founded by a member of the Hand. A member of the Hand that knew the original founder 500 years ago, and is still kicking today. They are supposed to be closer to the Hand's roots before it went evil and served a demon.

All her stuff is a bunch of Iron Fist references, and she's probably from one of a few alternate kung fu dimensions.

Ha ha ha, of course not. No, he was probably possessed by the demon that runs the Hand. They call it The Beast.

First part: yeah part of what drove me insane was how vulnerable and exposed Karen was while trying to investigate Fisk, and ultimately what she ended up uncovering was tenuous as hell and seemed like a very inconsequential thing to die over.

Also for the other part: It really doesn't get old when I discover how wacky comic things are after seeing them in a more 'grounded' MCU setting. :allears:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

cams posted:

It makes a lot of sense for this one to connect a whole bunch to Iron Fist since the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones series will have a ton of overlap (Luke himself is gonna be in a bunch of Jessica Jones' series). It is a bummer that I think they're doing Iron Fist last though, as it's the one I really really really want.

Maybe Daredevil will end up being one of the Immortal Weapons in the tournament that they better be loving using as the entirety of the Iron Fist series.

This is kind of an unrelated thought, but for all the complaining people tend to do when casting has the audacity to make a character black, I really see no reason why they couldn't make Danny actually Chinese.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like the current Avengers think they are crazy, but then you use the phrase "Alternate kung fu dimension", and you realize they are just kind of loving about with toys while some real freaky poo poo is going down. Which does make me wonder when they are going to cast Iron Fist.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
1x10

"Are you trying to tell me you didn't take Spanish to snuggle up to what's-her-name...the Greek girl?" :allears:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

This is kind of an unrelated thought, but for all the complaining people tend to do when casting has the audacity to make a character black, I really see no reason why they couldn't make Danny actually Chinese.
this is entirely speculation about the iron fist series, of which we know nothing, so i'm not going to spoil it

if i were writing that series, i'd be fine with making him chinese as long as he were VERY american-chinese. like, completely separated from his origins, for multiple reasons. firstly because i'd be having a show written and created by americans about a chinese guy going off to a mystical realm and learning magic kung fu. secondly, and connected to the first point, it is a huge part of everything that has been the iron fist character that he is a rich, prissy boy that is given magic kung fu and forced to use that power for good. again, no real concrete reason why he has to be white, but it's these things and him being a rich white guy being a fish out of water in a mystical kung fu setting that make it so interesting, at least to me. again, i think it'd be fine if you made him like a third or fourth generation chinese american, but i do think it adds a lot to the story being told that he is a rich, white guy who has been sheltered his entire life and is now thrown into a mystical world of magic and ninjas and kung fu.

i'd actually have been more cool making daredevil chinese cause being a white dude has little to do with the daredevil character. though a chinese catholic from hell's kitchen who's dad was a boxer in the late 70s-early 80s is pretty hilarious.

cams fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 12, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Hilariously 1x13 Wesley was the only thing that could have saved Ulrich's life. If he just told Fisk, they both would have gotten killed and that's that. If Fisk wasn't distracted, he gets the call and they are both dead. Wesley getting the call and trying to scare her into shutting up would have saved both their lives and kept Fisk from getting worked up. As an added bonus, it would have made no difference to how vulnerable Fisk was in the end. Indeed, nothing the main characters did outside the last episode mattered very much in bringing down Fisk. This is the totality of what they did: Daredevil beat up a cop, and protected another one. That's it. And it was enough, but those are the only two meaningful things our group did to actually take down Fisk. Karen did all that for nothing.

1x13 I thought this too at first; there's a scene near the end where Foggy's like "And we beat Fisk! All that legal work we did was worth it, we took him down." And I was thinking "wait, no you loving didn't, none of the poo poo you did make a lick of difference."

But it did, if you follow back everything that happened. Daredevil only was able to find the location the hiding partner was at because of some poo poo that Karen dug up in the last episode. And so that was based on tons of other stuff they had done throughout the series.

The visit to Marlene Fisk was totally pointless though, you're right about that. They... maybe could have cut this down to 10 episodes.

Unless there was a scene where Karen used that story to convince Foggy to recommit to the crusade. That might have happened, I remember her talking about it with someone. Ugh, it was like 4am+ when I was watching those later episodes. Next time I'll put some breaks in between.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

cams posted:

this is entirely speculation about the iron fist series, of which we know nothing, so i'm not going to spoil it

if i were writing that series, i'd be fine with making him chinese as long as he were VERY american-chinese. like, completely separated from his origins, for multiple reasons. firstly because i'd be having a show written and created by americans about a chinese guy going off to a mystical realm and learning magic kung fu. secondly, and connected to the first point, it is a huge part of everything that has been the iron fist character that he is a rich, prissy boy that is given magic kung fu and forced to use that power for good. again, no real concrete reason why he has to be white, but it's these things and him being a rich white guy being a fish out of water in a mystical kung fu setting that make it so interesting, at least to me. again, i think it'd be fine if you made him like a third or fourth generation chinese american, but i do think it adds a lot to the story being told that he is a rich, white guy who has been sheltered his entire life and is now thrown into a mystical world of magic and ninjas and kung fu.

Figured, just wanted to stay on the safe side. That's pretty much what I had in mind, just keep the exact same Danny Rand character except he happens to also be Chinese.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Beyond the obvious "What the gently caress is wrong with you, why does the kung fu character have to be Chinese?", you also get the people who would tie it to the Tibetan independence movement. It's a giant loving hassle with no upside that's just a different shade of racist on a racist character.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I say that because I sure as hell would have appreciated an Asian superhero hanging out with Daredevil on TV as a kid.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Who's that familiar looking fellow on the plaque?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

Figured, just wanted to stay on the safe side. That's pretty much what I had in mind, just keep the exact same Danny Rand character except he happens to also be Chinese.
yeah, it could work, i just think it would completely change the theme having a completely sincere story about a chinese kid going off and learning magic kung fu. sure he can still make fun of it and such but i think it puts it one step away from the point of the story.

i would just really, really want to avoid a vibe of "ancient chinese secret, huh?"

but i mean nothing i've brought up is a concrete reason why it wouldn't work, just why i as a white american guy would be wary about doin it. i feel like if i were going to introduce a chinese hero to the mcu, i'd rather it not be the magic kung fu guy.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I'm all done and show blew my expectations away. Favorite thing:

The Fisk character was tremendous television. The stuff with Vanessa and the childhood flashbacks were both engrossing. Almost certain I wouldn't dig the mystical stuff that I assume is on the way in a second season compared to how down-to-earth everything was in this season. But whatever comes I'm definitely in, and before watching this I was basically "meh, superhero show, I'll give it a whirl."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Raserys posted:

General spoiler:

There's an awful lot of Iron Fist nods in this series, while I didn't notice anything for Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Guess the mystical elements of Iron Fist are a lot harder to sell to an audience that starts with Daredevil.
Luke Cage Spoiler: Claire Temple is a Luke Cage nod.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I am aware of the implications in wanting the magic kung fu dragon fist man to be Chinese, but poo poo, the odds of any other Asian-American superheroes appearing within the next decade is approximately 0.5%, I want to take any chance there is.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

I say that because I sure as hell would have appreciated an Asian superhero hanging out with Daredevil on TV as a kid.
yeah, and i totally understand why. i am a complete liberal dicksuck who is totally for the forced diversification of the american canon. i just think there are good reasons not to do it.

Raserys posted:

I am aware of the implications in wanting the magic kung fu dragon fist man to be Chinese, but poo poo, the odds of any other Asian-American superheroes appearing within the next decade is approximately 0.5%, I want to take any chance there is.
this is the real bummer part of it. when i was writing my reply i was trying to think of other marvel guys that would make sense to do it with that are logically coming up in the universe and it's tough.

black bolt actually comes to mind as a guy they could totally make chinese without ANY detraction from his character whatsoever

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A rich black guy/kid would work as well as a rich white guy/kid, but anything other than bald loving happenstance connecting Danny Rand to all of this weird poo poo and mysticism would hurt the character at least a little. Best if no one can read any spiritual/racial destiny stuff into it at all.

Hell make the character a fat black gay woman.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Heathen posted:

Who's that familiar looking fellow on the plaque?

I was wondering if I had missed him somewhere :allears:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

A rich black guy/kid would work as well as a rich white guy/kid, but anything other than bald loving happenstance connecting Danny Rand to all of this weird poo poo and mysticism would hurt the character at least a little. Best if no one can read any spiritual/racial destiny stuff into it at all.

Hell make the character a fat black gay woman.
Gabourey Sidibe is... THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Luke Cage Spoiler: Claire Temple is a Luke Cage nod.

I admit I'm reaching on this, but also Luke Cage: He was wrongly arrested for being a heroin dealer. Should they choose to pick up on this they could use Gao's heroin.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Heathen posted:

I admit I'm reaching on this, but also Luke Cage: He was wrongly arrested for being a heroin dealer. Should they choose to pick up on this they could use Gao's heroin.

What would have been really cool would be Stryker being part of one the crews, but none of them made sense to employ him.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Raserys posted:

Colleen Wing could show up if they keep doing Netflix shows, she's tied to the Heroes for Hire crew. Nico Minoru if Runaways ever happens (hahaha). Amadeus Cho if they ever do another Hulk movie (hahahahahahahahaha).

Of course, Quake is half-Chinese in the MCU, if that does anything for you. (hey did you happen to notice anything about almost all the Asian superheroes being ladies, what a strange coincidence)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Boogaleeboo posted:

Indeed, nothing the main characters did outside the last episode mattered very much in bringing down Fisk. This is the totality of what they did: Daredevil beat up a cop, and protected another one. That's it. And it was enough, but those are the only two meaningful things our group did to actually take down Fisk. Karen did all that for nothing.
That's overstating a bit. The only reason that (series spoilers) there even was a police officer for them to bring to the government was because Matt had been disrupting the well-oiled machine of Fisk and his associates to the point that they could make such mistakes, leave such loose ends for the good guys to exploit. Remember that the whole reason snitch cop's partner got shot in the first place was because Fisk was trying to turn the city against Matt, because the Devil of Hell's Kitchen had been causing enough trouble to make Fisk look incompetent to his peers, thereby inciting him into this sort of drastic measure. Heck, the literal only reason anyone even knows Fisk's name is because Matt beat it out of someone, which forced Fisk to go public in order to circumvent the fact that they were going to out him anyway.

And his fellow kingpins haaaated that. They hated Fisk being a public figure, they hated and feared the least bit of light shone on the smallest fraction of their activities, which is part of why they eventually considered Fisk a liability and turned against him. The whole delicate balance between five self-possessed crime lords was thrown out of whack by Matt's activities throughout the series, which led to the exact right circumstances to be able to take down Fisk in the finale.

During which, the only reason the good guys were able to find the cop was because Karen noticed a discrepancy in Owlsley's financial records...which, again, the only reason they know Owlsley's name is because of Matt...and the only reason they had those records at all was because Foggy had prostituted himself for information reached out to his ex at the rival firm. And then -- get this -- if Wesley had still been alive at this point? He could very well have found out about Owlsley's activities beforehand and covered them up further because Fisk had asked him look into his money, and the only reason Wesley wasn't around was because Karen had been snooping into Mama Fisk.

All in all? The last episodes felt a bit slower which might've made it seem like our heroes weren't doing much of anything, but the fact is that Fisk's fall was one big domino effect that had been going on since the beginning of the series.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

XboxPants posted:

Colleen Wing could show up if they keep doing Netflix shows, she's tied to the Heroes for Hire crew. Nico Minoru if Runaways ever happens (hahaha). Amadeus Cho if they ever do another Hulk movie (hahahahahahahahaha).

Of course, Quake is half-Chinese in the MCU, if that does anything for you. (hey did you happen to notice anything about almost all the Asian superheroes being ladies, what a strange coincidence)

Here's the solution to all these problems: A Hercules show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Raserys posted:

Here's the solution to all these problems: A Hercules show.

I didn't want to say it because it's too perfect.

loving DO IT MARVEL.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Wave 2 of Defenders with She-Hulk, Herc, Runaways, and Moon Knight, I take checks in the mail.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

XboxPants posted:

Runaways: The priest Matt keeps talking to is Father Lathom. Father Lathom was first mentioned in the Runaways comic.

quote:

Quake: Daisy Skye Mary Sue Poots THAT'S NOT HER NAME Quake Johnson was sent to the St. Agnes Orphanage. This is the same orphanage Matt was sent to.

Only slightly more represented than Black Women are Asian Men That Aren't Ninjas.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Heathen posted:

Runaways: The priest Matt keeps talking to is Father Lathom. Father Lathom was first mentioned in the Runaways comic.

Quake: Daisy Skye Mary Sue Poots THAT'S NOT HER NAME Quake Johnson was sent to the St. Agnes Orphanage. This is the same orphanage Matt was sent to.

Only slightly more represented than Black Women are Asian Men That Aren't Ninjas.

Sorta getting onto a tangent, but there's a ton of Asians and minorities of every type in X-Men. I'm sure we'll continue to get a lot of them... in minor non-speaking roles. Does Colossus count as Asian? He was born in Siberia.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raserys posted:

Wave 2 of Defenders with She-Hulk, Herc, Runaways, and Moon Knight, I take checks in the mail.
a 13 episode runaways netflix series that is just a complete adaptation of the first run would be amazing.

cast jaden smith as alex so that ending can be really, really satisfying.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

someusername posted:

I'm not sleeping tonight. Only up to Ep2 and the stairway not-chainsaw sold me for life.

Same. Shivering and eyes are burning from a fever, should have been in bed hours ago, and now I'm watching Fisk trying to woo a woman on her front steps and it's heartbreaking.

It is a little hard to take some of this seriously, as I live in Manhattan. I'm watching with my roommate. I've been through the whole Daredevil comics series and she's never read one, and we had to suspend disbelief about the condition of Hell's Kitchen, or that criminals would be so interested in it and there would never, ever be police around. 9/11 happened, writer dudes. Yeah this poo poo goes down, but it doesn't happen so close to Midtown or the Financial District. Also there's CCTV everywhere! The real money's to be made selling real estate to Chinese billionaires seeking to hide their money outside their country, and those negotiations don't happen where the apartments are.

I just had to keep explaining to my roommate: "Um, this was written in the 60's. So, yeah, people made money on the low time boxing circuit, two broke lawyers would totally open their own practice, and that was magic radioactive toxic waste he was splattered with, because Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and blah blah blah. But hey, it's way better than all the lovely Marvel shows you watch on Hulu."

Also, Matt can TOTALLY see. Those contacts are not good enough.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Isn't Marvel Hercules a giant rapey rear end in a top hat?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

Same. Shivering and eyes are burning from a fever, should have been in bed hours ago, and now I'm watching Fisk trying to woo a woman on her front steps and it's heartbreaking.

It is a little hard to take some of this seriously, as I live in Manhattan. I'm watching with my roommate. I've been through the whole Daredevil comics series and she's never read one, and we had to suspend disbelief about the condition of Hell's Kitchen, or that criminals would be so interested in it and there would never, ever be police around. 9/11 happened, writer dudes. Yeah this poo poo goes down, but it doesn't happen so close to Midtown or the Financial District. Also there's CCTV everywhere! The real money's to be made selling real estate to Chinese billionaires seeking to hide their money outside their country, and those negotiations don't happen where the apartments are.

I just had to keep explaining to my roommate: "Um, this was written in the 60's. So, yeah, people made money on the low time boxing circuit, two broke lawyers would totally open their own practice, and that was magic radioactive toxic waste he was splattered with, because Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and blah blah blah. But hey, it's way better than all the lovely Marvel shows you watch on Hulu."

Did you not buy the idea that when the Chitauri invaded during Avengers, and completely destroyed Hell's Kitchen, and essentially got Super-Katrina'd, that could have this much of a negative effect? The CCTV all got blowed up. All the businesses got blowed up. No one with money lives there anymore 'cause they either died or moved because their house was blowed up. That would have made things worse, right?

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I thought I knew him from somewhere.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Petr posted:

Isn't Marvel Hercules a giant rapey rear end in a top hat?
Nope, that's DC (Along with...y'know, actual mythology). Marvel Hercules is an awesome dude.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

dj_clawson posted:

Cool. I live in Hell's Kitchen and I didn't give a poo poo because it is a television show.