Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

BrianWilly posted:

Nope, that's DC.

Public domain characters are too confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

XboxPants posted:

Did you not buy the idea that when the Chitauri invaded during Avengers, and completely destroyed Hell's Kitchen, and essentially got Super-Katrina'd, that could have this much of a negative effect? The CCTV all got blowed up. All the businesses got blowed up. No one with money lives there anymore 'cause they either died or moved because their house was blowed up. That would have made things worse, right?

It did take Ground Zero a while to come back, but now it's an expensive, up-and-coming neighborhood that my brother and his fiance were being priced out of (they live next to the Freedom Town). And the police force is super crazy about areas that were recently damaged by "terrorism" in any form. It hurts the general image of the gentrification of the city, which there are many people with lots of money and vested interests to protect. I know the show tries to explain this away many times with references to Avengers, but kidnapping white children? That would be front page news. And the guy who Daredevil tells to "leave Hell's Kitchen?" He's probably happy to save on rent moving to Washington Heights.

Daredevil clearly takes place in an alternate reality Hells' Kitchen.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

dj_clawson posted:

It did take Ground Zero a while to come back, but now it's an expensive, up-and-coming neighborhood that my brother and his fiance were being priced out of (they live next to the Freedom Town). And the police force is super crazy about areas that were recently damaged by "terrorism" in any form. It hurts the general image of the gentrification of the city, which there are many people with lots of money and vested interests to protect. I know the show tries to explain this away many times with references to Avengers, but kidnapping white children? That would be front page news. And the guy who Daredevil tells to "leave Hell's Kitchen?" He's probably happy to save on rent moving to Washington Heights.

Daredevil takes place in an alternate reality Hells' Kitchen.

Bear in mind that TMNT's New York, which features a gang of ninjas going on a city-wide purse-snatching spree, was originally a parody, in part, of Daredevil's setting. To some extent, they just had to embrace the source material.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

Holy poo poo.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think TV or movies or books are for you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It took me like four references and a newspaper headline before I realized that "the incident" wasn't 9/11.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

moths posted:

It took me like four references and a newspaper headline before I realized that "the incident" wasn't 9/11.

But you know, in a way it is.

Hey, so I feel like Vincent D'Onofrio went to some cosmetic surgeon recently and said "make me look like a little like Michael Ironside"

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

cams posted:

yeah, it could work, i just think it would completely change the theme having a completely sincere story about a chinese kid going off and learning magic kung fu. sure he can still make fun of it and such but i think it puts it one step away from the point of the story.

i would just really, really want to avoid a vibe of "ancient chinese secret, huh?"

but i mean nothing i've brought up is a concrete reason why it wouldn't work, just why i as a white american guy would be wary about doin it. i feel like if i were going to introduce a chinese hero to the mcu, i'd rather it not be the magic kung fu guy.

As a white American guy, I'd say it's just best to just put the token minority heroes out there. OK, so a lot of the minority characters are stereotypes, but it at least gives the minority characters a foot in the door, and gives minorities heroes they can look up to.

I wanted to be Peter Parker when I grew up. Some other kids wanted to grow up to be Luke Cage. It's kind of a dick move that we had to like different superheroes because of race. It turns out Peter Parker and Luke Cage are awesome together.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 12, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I still think that Cage and Iron Fist should be folded into one show called Heroes for Hire, but maybe that's because that rocks and I want season 2 of Daredevil like now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm honestly really, really looking forward to Luke Cage. And I fully admit a lot of it has to do with the current social climate mixed with the choice of showrunner...along with the hype that this show has given me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished it. I never watched any of the other Marvel TV series because I guess I assumed they wouldn't be all that great, but man, I started this one after hearing overwhelming praise for it and I'm very glad I did. This one knocked it out of the park. It completely obliterates most of the MCU in terms of quality. All the performances were great, the characters were strong and developed really well (I think Fisk and Foggy were my favorites), the fight scenes were incredible, the cinematography was probably the best I've seen from anything Marvel-related in the past several years outside of Punisher War Zone, etc.

Basically this went way above and beyond my expectations and I seriously hope we get a season 2 eventually.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

Its almost as if its fictional.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Does Daredevil have a steady girlfriend or is he a revolving door? It seemed like Karen had a thing for him halfway through the series but then Foggy was always with her, but then Foggy went back to Marci.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Eddain posted:

Does Daredevil have a steady girlfriend or is he a revolving door? It seemed like Karen had a thing for him halfway through the series but then Foggy was always with her, but then Foggy went back to Marci.

In the comics he's a total manslut.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
1x13
The more I think about the finale, the more overall disappointing it was, but it did give satisfying closure to the characters if not the whole story, mostly.

Karen knowing Spanish is also a nice nod to the comics, but make me worry a lot about her backstory.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Eddain posted:

Daredevil doesn't really have a Lois Lane waiting for him that he has to marry because continuity says so. In the comics he had a fling with Karen Page, but that didn't work out, and he's still a bachelor.

There is no canonical romantic interest to drag the story down like on Arrow or The Flash. In fact, one of his best villains is a crazy ex. Matt Murdock regularly sticks his dick in crazy, and has to pay for it afterward.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 12, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure Agent's of Shield costs 3 to 5 million per episode as well. So saying budget is a issue is obviously not the case.

quote:

Assuming the budget is spread between the five series equally (although it would make sense to spend a little more on The Defenders miniseries), each episode will feature a budget of roughly $3.3 million. That doesn’t come close to touching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ridiculous budget of $14 million for the pilot alone, but it is in keeping up with several other, high-quality shows.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/marvels-netflix-bound-tv-shows-cost-whopping-200-million/#ixzz3X5eDwAUH
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/marvels-netflix-bound-tv-shows-cost-whopping-200-million/

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
His last wife was driven insane.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Deadpool posted:

The deal on season two is this, the entire Marvel/Netflix deal was already budgeted for five shows at $200 million. There would be time to do another season of Daredevil before the Defenders team up if they wanted, but it would have to be a separate deal that would have to be funded separately. They also would have to worry about oversaturation of the Marvel brand on Netflix and whether a potential season two would mess up whatever they have planned story wise for the other shows. So yeah they could do it if they work out the money for it, but we probably won't know that for a bit.

Perhaps in hindsight, it might have been a smarter move for them to just ride the Daredevil train for a couple of years and see where it leads, possibly into some Orange is the New Black/House of Cards type stratosphere. What is indisputably a top quality show might now just get buried under this media blitz, and the team that created possibly not being able to fully reassemble.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

That doesn't actually say anything about AoS's budget per episode though. It's not exactly crazy that the budget for the pilot would be way bigger than the rest of the episodes. AoS has a 22 episode season, they're not spending $300+ million on it. The link they provide to the other story about the AoS budget just repeats the same rumor that the pilot supposedly cost around $14 million, but even notes that that isn't particularly huge for a major TV show.

Anyway just finished this and echoing everyone else's praise. Could probably count the number of scenes that didn't quite work for me on one hand. Just absolutely loving excellent all the way through. Foggy and Karen's writing and actors deserve some kind of award for managing to make the "goofy sidekick and gorgeous woman become friends" story not only bearable but actually fun to watch, with believably awkward moments where it was appropriate.

I wasn't particularly excited for Marvel's Netflix shows since I don't read comics and don't really know any of the other heroes involved, but god drat did this get me hyped to see what else they have coming.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That was really good, but I think that the new suit combined with the old wrap mask would have looked way cooler. Those face masks always look goofy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1x13

Am I the only one who thought that final beat with Karen and Matt outside was the office was her figuring out he was Daredevil?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Wesley looks like he should have a ponytail

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, so far I am not liking this Kingpin very much. (1x07) Kind of a weenie, right? Okay, they showed us how he got super violent when he smashed the Russian's head in the car, but the reasoning behind it just made him look like a super goon, like it was the only woman who's ever smiled at him and in his mind, she was already supposed to become his waifu. D'Onofrio seems to be trying to play him as a really quiet, subtly menacing villain and it's not working for me so far. My mental Kingpin is a cigar-chomping Tony Soprano type with a much more forceful personality, probably from the old cartoon show, but it's been a while -- I'm certainly open to another interpretation. I just don't see how agoraphobic, scared-of-women Kingpin takes control of a city's underworld.

I'm watching 1x08 while I type this, and I'm watching these Kingpin flashbacks, sure, but they're pretty by-the-numbers so far with the aggressive and possibly abusive father, and they still aren't adding any more menace to the adult Kingpin scenes. e: Right now the old Chinese lady is calling him sloppy and he looks like he's about to cry. Shouldn't the overlordest of mob overlords have a thicker skin? Oh, wow, he flipped a table and yelled at his assistant. Total goon.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 12, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Eddain posted:

Rosario Dawnson should fill this role because she's :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've only just had time to start this so I'm way behind.

1x4

The scene where he rescues Claire from the russians was so amazing. Especially the part where when she realizes he's there she just laughs maniacally and says "If you want to know his name... ask him yourself." Claire owns.

This show is amazing

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PaganGoatPants posted:

Rosario Dawnson should fill this role because she's :allears:

In the Comics wasn't Typhoid Mary originally a nurse? or am I thinking of a different Character?

It would be pretty hilarious.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

My ultra nitpick is holy GOD Wesley's ears were red in some of his scenes. (I'm not sure if it was always him, maybe other characters too). Indoor shots. Maybe they didn't have heat? It was genuinely distracting. Maybe put some make-up on that or something if you're doing an HD tv show, I just can't look away, it's like Rudolph but with ears.

I only noticed this in the hospital when he was on the phone.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Drifter posted:

In the Comics wasn't Typhoid Mary originally a nurse? or am I thinking of a different Character?

It would be pretty hilarious.

I don't remember, but the REAL Typhoid Mary was a chef who had typhoid fever and refused to be quarantined at first. She would just leave the hospital and start working in food services in another city. And then people would get typhoid fever. It was a public health problem.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I actually like the Kingpin and his group more than I like any of the other characters. Took till Stick showed up before I even gave a drat about the Daredevil character, and until episode 9-10 when his identity was revealed to his closest friend with some more backstory that I finally warmed up to him. It just feels like there's way more going on with the Kingpin and his story, his power struggles with his fellow crooks, his machinations to always be a step or two ahead. I was almost rooting more for him than the actual main character.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

I've only just had time to start this so I'm way behind.

1x4

The scene where he rescues Claire from the russians was so amazing.

1x4

I don't know why, but the scene where he learns she's in danger over the phone, sprints down the street, into an alley, and parkours his rear end up to her floor had me dying. It's also amazing gif material, though this show has no shortage of that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Need a gif of the hallway fight Microwave hitting that guy in the head that got a swift rewind, very funny

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
1x2

Jesus christ that fight in the hallway was amazing. I wish it had more doors and it was just 10 minutes of Matt moving down it while mooks keep pouring out from the side rooms.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Every time I see foggy I can only think of this image:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rocksicles posted:

Need a gif of the hallway fight Microwave hitting that guy in the head that got a swift rewind, very funny

1x02

I got more, but apparently timg doesn't work with spoilers, so I'll wait until the spoiler rule lifts.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Watched through episode 6 so far... I am completely in love with this show. It is so hard not to read all these spoilers, but I'm resisting.

Also, my favorite line so far is the counterproposal.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Daredevil is so enjoyable it's making the wait for Alias all that much harder, so close after all these years.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This series was good. Minor thoughts that have stuck with me:

1x13, whole thing.

I am SO loving GLAD they didn't fridge Karen. I was totally expecting them to, from about halfway through that episode. She tells Foggy and Matt to get their poo poo together and has a conversation with Ben that just reeked of I'm-about-to-get-offed (even included a 'I'll call you in the morning,' which is almost as bad as being 3 days from retirement.) I was convinced she was about to bite it and ready to get really mad that one of the only women in the show was about to be dropped off a cliff to get Matt and Foggy to start talking again. Holy hell was I relieved when she didn't. I'm still a bit disappointed with her arc as a whole -- I wanted a flashback or two and a bit more meat to her motivations -- but at least she didn't get fridged.

Series could use some more ladies around in general. Basically all the villain NPC's are dudes, and I guess it makes sense for street toughs but were there any female cops? I think one got snipered but I dunno if any had a single line. Elektra will help with this. At least the ones they did have were all pretty drat competent -- well, the lawyer-lady whose name I forget is mainly good at stealing files without getting noticed and they don't have much of her on-the-job doing lawyer stuff, but if she's made partner you can assume she knows what she's doing. Madame Gao was great too but they had to keep her totally enigmatic so she's less a character and more a force of nature.

The fights fell off a lot in the back half. Still good, but the one in episode 2 was definitely the highlight. Daredevil flips too much. Got distracting by the end. Might be a symptom of marathoning. I think there's 2 parts -- one with the Russian in the tunnels and one in the last episode by the truck -- where he defeats a full-auto automatic weapon by flipping directly through the line of fire. And when he corners Fisk in the alley he FLIPS into place before posing. I dunno.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 12, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
1x08

WHAT THE gently caress!? Daredevil is BLIND!?

Did anyone else get this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dan Didio posted:

1x08

WHAT THE gently caress!? Daredevil is BLIND!?

Did anyone else get this??

Such a dickhole