Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Disney Infinity mixed with the Lego games basically. From what I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I guess that's a little more tolerable than horse armor DLC, at least you get something in the real world for your money.

I'm definitely not in the target market though because it seems colossally stupid to me. :v:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Does anyone have a link handy to that article that discussed some of their 'failed' experiments with this sort of thing? I remember reading about a lego smartphone app that let you build a car out of lego and take a photo of it, then you could race with that car in the game (never released to the general public, just a test). I think the article said that they saw it as a failure because the kids wanted to play with the app more than the lego. I get a feeling this game might have that sort of thing in it. In the trailer the dude rebuilds the little car into a scorpion car and they use it to leave with.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I'm surprised it doesn't have a robot, since that seems to be their go-to for vehicle alt builds these days. That's pretty impressive though, usually the alternate vehicles are a lot more similar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm a little bummed they used dark blue instead of normal blue.

If it was normal blue that set would be a goldmine of slopes and curves for classic space stuff. It even has a light grey engine nozzle.

I mean I'm still going to buy the poo poo out of it, but the color dictates how many I buy. :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress you, Lego. :argh:

Thank gently caress it looks like they won't be doing Star Wars stuff for this.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

Does anyone have a link handy to that article that discussed some of their 'failed' experiments with this sort of thing? I remember reading about a lego smartphone app that let you build a car out of lego and take a photo of it, then you could race with that car in the game (never released to the general public, just a test). I think the article said that they saw it as a failure because the kids wanted to play with the app more than the lego. I get a feeling this game might have that sort of thing in it. In the trailer the dude rebuilds the little car into a scorpion car and they use it to leave with.

This is basically Robocraft. Except you build a tank and shoot other people's tanks.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I might be interested in that stuff, but not if they are stupidly hard to come by like the Nintendo ones

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ahhhhhhhh that little delorean!

Edit: VVV All the skylanders and poo poo are RFID.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 9, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how it scans the builds. Is there a serial code on the stand or something?

Because I could see people just building stuff out of their own stock and getting "free" DLC in the game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

I wonder how it scans the builds. Is there a serial code on the stand or something?

Because I could see people just building stuff out of their own stock and getting "free" DLC in the game.

It doesn't. Or at least I'm pretty sure the builds are purely cosmetic/for fun. The stands are what determine gets loaded in the game.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

xzzy posted:

nfc tags inside the base

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yet

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wonder if Star Wars stuff is going into Disney Infinity at some point.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

smackfu posted:

I wonder if Star Wars stuff is going into Disney Infinity at some point.

It is. 3.0, if the rumors are to be believed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I play more video games than I care to admit and I still can't wrap my head around what those games are. Is it like an RPG and you play as the characters you buy the toys of?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

NESguerilla posted:

I play more video games than I care to admit and I still can't wrap my head around what those games are. Is it like an RPG and you play as the characters you buy the toys of?

It's like DLC, except physical, and therefore it costs a LOT more. In this case, the toys are actually Lego and therefore good, rather than dodgy Spyro figurines.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
gently caress. My kids are too young to care about Skylanders, and they know the Disney characters but not the game, but they've been irredeemably poisoned by my Lego love for me to be able to pass this up :sigh:

$170AU is a shitload to pay for a starter pack, though. Even with an actual buildable Lego 'portal' and minifigs. It does support up to 7 things on it at once and they're already making a big dance how this portal should last years, unlike the Skylanders ones that get a new (required) model every 9 months.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Aaronicon posted:

gently caress. My kids are too young to care about Skylanders, and they know the Disney characters but not the game, but they've been irredeemably poisoned by my Lego love for me to be able to pass this up :sigh:

$170AU is a shitload to pay for a starter pack, though. Even with an actual buildable Lego 'portal' and minifigs. It does support up to 7 things on it at once and they're already making a big dance how this portal should last years, unlike the Skylanders ones that get a new (required) model every 9 months.

It's just a bloody NFC reader isn't it? How on earth can they require new ones? The Wii U has one built in for Christ's sake :psyduck:

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It's just a bloody NFC reader isn't it? How on earth can they require new ones? The Wii U has one built in for Christ's sake :psyduck:

Yes but it only supports [x] number of items on the reader at once! Because reasons! The first time they had to add support for up to 4 NFC chips (the swappable characters) and the second time they had to support those PLUS the little crystal things as well! And add sound! AND LIGHTS!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Aaronicon posted:

$170AU is a shitload to pay for a starter pack, though...

And AUD50 for the Back To The Future set / AUD25 for each 'Fun Pack'. :retrogames:

I feel like I should pre-order the BTTF set if nothing else because I know it'll sell out in seconds and if I decide I want to play it down the track I don't want to have to pay eBay scalper prices.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ohhh my lord I cannot not buy that. That is the cutest goddamn Delorean I've ever seen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The game is also being made by Traveler's Tales, same as all the other (pretty good) Lego games. gently caress my wallet.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
Where did you guys see the aus cost? Trying to figure out how much this is going to cost me in Canada

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dumb question, but what is the stuff under the hoverboard supposed to be?

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

smackfu posted:

Eh, probably nothing important. Makes it look like if it were on display in a store or museum or something. Just some additions to add a little more substance to the piece.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Fozzie Bear posted:

Where did you guys see the aus cost? Trying to figure out how much this is going to cost me in Canada

https://ebgames.com.au has a big preorder banner at the top of the page.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That little Delorean looks better than the big one. One of the worst sets I've ever seen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

That little Delorean looks better than the big one. One of the worst sets I've ever seen.

Yeah it needs a lot of fixing to look good. I fixed the front bumper and hood on mine, but still haven't found a fix for the windshield that works at all.

Lego should really redesign it and come out with a proper version in a few years.

Especially when compared to the ecto-1. Goddamn that's a nice model.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

xzzy posted:

Yeah it needs a lot of fixing to look good. I fixed the front bumper and hood on mine, but still haven't found a fix for the windshield that works at all.

Lego should really redesign it and come out with a proper version in a few years.

Especially when compared to the ecto-1. Goddamn that's a nice model.

I actually didn't dislike the Delorean, aside from the windshield, until I got the ECTO-1.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The Ecto-1 and the Speed Champions sets are showing that the designers are really stepping up their game.

I remember when every single car Lego designed was 4 studs wide, even semi trucks.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

smackfu posted:

It's probably the special brick that has the NFC chip in it that's read by the game.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

EvilJoven posted:

The Ecto-1 and the Speed Champions sets are showing that the designers are really stepping up their game.

Agreed. A coworker and I tried to make up for the fact that you'll never see those three cars raced against each other by doing our own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRK1jj9t_QQ

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Agreed. A coworker and I tried to make up for the fact that you'll never see those three cars raced against each other by doing our own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRK1jj9t_QQ

No race car noises? C-

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Funny enough, that was going to happen on an upcoming episode of Top Gear. Apparently Farrari plays about as nicely as Jeremy Clarkson.

E: Apologies. My reading compression doesn't kick in until my fourth cup of coffee. Seems your post was alluding to just that.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 11, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Found my old Legos at my parents house, which was awesome but at the same time there are so few parts from the 80's/90's that are really exciting. So many squares. So few hinges, round stuff, cool windshields, no technic. :sigh: I wanna build some spaceships.

The funny thing is half of it is from Lego space stuff. They just didn't make a wide variety of parts back then I guess.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Kickstart carbon fiber stickered LEGO?

Yes or not?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What's everyone's favorite themes? I'm a big fan of the 'standard' kinda stuff (Creator/Expert, Castle, Pirates, Egypt, Arctic) but I found myself liking the Movie sets a lot just because they're surprisingly detailed builds, and I'm a sucker for action features :3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Found my old Legos at my parents house, which was awesome but at the same time there are so few parts from the 80's/90's that are really exciting. So many squares. So few hinges, round stuff, cool windshields, no technic. :sigh: I wanna build some spaceships.

The funny thing is half of it is from Lego space stuff. They just didn't make a wide variety of parts back then I guess.

You got slopes and tiles and wings, what more do you need. Plus transparent bits, gun bits, and poles and lots of things that look like rocket engines. Everything a kid needs to build an epic spaceship. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alabaster White posted:

What's everyone's favorite themes? I'm a big fan of the 'standard' kinda stuff (Creator/Expert, Castle, Pirates, Egypt, Arctic) but I found myself liking the Movie sets a lot just because they're surprisingly detailed builds, and I'm a sucker for action features :3:

I wish they would have merged the Indiana Jones line with the Johnny Thunder line.