Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's early spring in new england, what were you expecting

Smash a window, make a makeshift knife out of glass and string. You can do this in your first ten actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Blackray Jack posted:

I'm doing my best to follow the 101 guides but man, this game is excruciatingly tough and all my games have me dying outside my shelter or just nearby. I've been doing static spawns and no matter where I go there are zombies or wildlife ready to kill me, all because I just need a knife to level up the first batch of skills. Even the passive spawn begins taking on things like smokers and giant mosquitoes and crap like that very quickly. And it's ALWAYS RAINING OR SNOWING NO MATTER WHAT TIME I START so cue the immediate freezing and whatnot. What on earth is up with that? How in the hell do people manage?

You can also, in a pinch, bump up the amount of points you have to spend on a new character in the options menu. If you find yourself really struggling you can try and bump up your points and give yourself a few decent traits or bump up your dodge/melee/unarmed to get yourself started.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also use the curtains to make a makeshift sling or two so you can carry lots of stuff. If you're cold, cutting up another curtain sheet will yield lots of rags for cobbling together some hand wraps or something, or a kaffiyeh if you have a cutting implement (you might need at least 1 tailoring, I forget).

You can use a sharp rock for butchering at first. A regular rock is sufficient to smash a locker or display rack, and it has hammering 1 so it can craft a spike, which lets you make a makeshift knife if you don't want to make a glass shiv for whatever reason.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Early on you are dumb and hapless, but you get stronger quickly. Train up on regular zombies one at a time with the best melee weapon you can craft, hopefully one you can block with because you will get bit and infection is a big problem early on. Even if you do have a safe resting spot, you have to make sure you get enough to eat and drink or it'll make you slow and vulnerable. It comes down to luck really, if the first house you blunder into has a basement owned by a weapon collector you could be very well set, a decent knife or sword plus a shotgun, powerful pistol or smg will let you explore without too much risk. If the first zombie you run into bites you and the wound is very deep then you'll have to find some way to clean the wound or the pain and infection will kill you quick.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Does turning on wander spawns respawn zombies?

I like the idea of hordes, but not if it's just going to make towns unclearable.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Regarding infection, if you get bit you can use a knife to cauterize your wound to try and kill the infection before it sets in. You need a source of heat first though, so a lighter, a matchbook or soemthing like that. You can also use a soldering iron.

It isn't guaranteed and it hurts a shitton (like you might expect) but if you don't have disinfectant , a first aid kit or antibiotics then its pretty much your only bet.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blackray Jack posted:

I'm doing my best to follow the 101 guides but man, this game is excruciatingly tough and all my games have me dying outside my shelter or just nearby. I've been doing static spawns and no matter where I go there are zombies or wildlife ready to kill me, all because I just need a knife to level up the first batch of skills. Even the passive spawn begins taking on things like smokers and giant mosquitoes and crap like that very quickly. And it's ALWAYS RAINING OR SNOWING NO MATTER WHAT TIME I START so cue the immediate freezing and whatnot. What on earth is up with that? How in the hell do people manage?

The evacuee starts with a knife, you can then crash Windows to get during and curtains for rags. There's an emergency jacket in every shelter as well. You can smash the benches fit written needles and you use your first day to prepare for a night raid in the curry. Smash houses and look for A GROCERY or hardware store to get setup and sleep during the day. You could even build a bed in the basement for extra safety. Static npcs will protect you while you sleep.

Use the item browser and make sure you get a screwdriver and craft a hammer quickly to deconstruct things. A crowbar or cudgel is a good starting weapon.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

nftyw posted:

Shoggoths are just silly, even if you shoot em in the face with a shotgun they regenerate almost instantly. Also armor. My favorite way of dealing with them is to lead them into a slime trap since blobs are WAY less dangerous.

So here's the deal with shoggoths. Any item on the ground they can touch will be used to heal them up in a single turn. Shotguns, guns, and anything that isn't an energy weapon or caseless drops items around you when you fight.

Get a laser gun, or switch to melee and you'll tear them a new one really quick.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Archonex posted:

Does turning on wander spawns respawn zombies?

I like the idea of hordes, but not if it's just going to make towns unclearable.

Wander spawns create small to vast hordes of zombies that *patrol* around pretty much anywhere, inside towns or in the wilderness. The horde can cover a 20 tile diameter and contain 100s(1000s?) of zombies that will stay in a loose group and supposedly get drawn to noise and I guess smell if they catch a scent.

As far as I can tell they haven't been updated in quite some time and playing around with the debug monitor it wasn't clear how exactly they were operating. All the separate hordes are persistent and seem to move around at a decent rate, not sure if they respawn once they get cut down or if the actual zombies only get spawned when you're close or stay the same composition. I like the idea but it didn't seem to behave how I'd expect, they never came to my safehouse or anything but maybe I was lucky.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

So here's the deal with shoggoths. Any item on the ground they can touch will be used to heal them up in a single turn. Shotguns, guns, and anything that isn't an energy weapon or caseless drops items around you when you fight.

Get a laser gun, or switch to melee and you'll tear them a new one really quick.

Brass catchers are also pretty easy to make out of rags.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ahahahaa you can't disassemble the .50cal found in m2 turrets

gently caress you, game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Ahahahaa you can't disassemble the .50cal found in m2 turrets

gently caress you, game.

You can take the gun off the vehicle, put the bullets back in it, and shoot it hilariously badly however!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I chucked an incendiary out of the exit from a LMOE to help clear out a zombie horde assaulting the building. This had an interesting series of results:

1. Closing the door prior to the grenade going off did nothing to stop the flames from coming inside. What's worse, apparently the loving air ignited inside the room. My character wasn't killed, but they received one point of damage from the heat and their pants hilariously burned off in in a single turn.

2. After figuring that this was probably a bug, I cheated in some first aid kits to dick around. Healing myself, I went back upstairs to discover that the fire was still going several hours later.

3. Figuring that a fire going with no means to burn anything was odd, I cheated in a Rivtech power armor and toggled it on after reloading it. This gave me temporary immunity to fire since the RM-whatever armor has climate control systems and is completely closed off when turned on. Except things got odd again. I stepped into the fire to try to leave. The small fire didn't kill my character. What did was something else after that Y/N request. Do you want to step into the airborne incendiary?

This instantly killed my character. Apparently airborne incendiary is code for "can melt through steel in a heartbeat". What the hell just happened here, and how do you get past a fire that's so hot it can't even extinguish itself?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 12, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Archonex posted:

This instantly killed my character. Apparently airborne incendiary is code for "can melt through steel in a heartbeat". What the hell just happened here, and how do you get past a fire that's so hot it can't even extinguish itself?
Doesn't going downstairs effectively freeze time on the surface since it's then out of the reality bubble? I think you needed to hang out upstairs for a while in order to have the fire die out.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

Doesn't going downstairs effectively freeze time on the surface since it's then out of the reality bubble? I think you needed to hang out upstairs for a while in order to have the fire die out.

Tried that too, actually. I forgot to mention it, but I used the long range teleport to try and get out to see if it would burn out. Which was kind of necessary since my character was being burnt alive just by being in the LMOE's interior entry room. It didn't seem to effect it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Does the game have any pistols that shoot rifle ammunition yet?

Just want my .223 revolver.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Archonex posted:

Tried that too, actually. I forgot to mention it, but I used the long range teleport to try and get out to see if it would burn out. Which was kind of necessary since my character was being burnt alive just by being in the LMOE's interior entry room. It didn't seem to effect it.

Did you try using a fire extinguisher on it?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

The best you've got is the RM99 revolver and RM103A automagnum, both of which use 8x40mm caseless, shared by the RM51 assault rifle and the RM88 battle rifle. At least, according to the wiki. While not technically a rifle round, there's also a 12 gauge pistol.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pretty sure there is, in fact, a .223 revolver. The "holdout" or something. Can't remember the name and don't think I have one in this save.

Archonex posted:

Apparently airborne incendiary is code for "can melt through steel in a heartbeat".

Obviously a conspiracy. We all know that jet fuel ca

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm fairly sure I've seen a 5.56/.223 pistol too but I can't recall the name of it.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

The 'L2037 Backup' chambers .223.

If you're ever looking for a particular item/want to check something the CDDA item browser is a worthwhile place to stop. Probably major spoilers for inexperienced players, though.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 12, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Did you try using a fire extinguisher on it?

Not really. I should have tried that. Admittedly I thought it would go out eventually. I just didn't realize it was some sort of terrifying cloud of hellfire up until my character was melted by it.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Strumpie posted:

If you're ever looking a particular item/want to check something the CDDA item browser is a worthwhile place to stop. Probably major spoilers for inexperienced players, though.

I stand corrected. I even looked in the browser.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I have a revolver of some sort that can mount a shitload of mods, including a conversion. :stare: If I live long enough to grind up to the requisite skill level, I'm going to see if I can bodge a sniper conversion onto it and make a ridiculous scoped sniper revolver like the one in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Strumpie posted:

Excellent.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Guns seem cool but I dread learning another subsystem when I'm still making driving and mechanics make sense.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
At their most basic you just need to know how to fire "f" reload "r" (mash it if you're using shotguns/revolvers) and change to burst mode "F" and you're golden. You don't need a lot of skill to point a gun at the head of some zombie right next to you and pull a trigger.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Angry Diplomat posted:

I have a revolver of some sort that can mount a shitload of mods, including a conversion. :stare: If I live long enough to grind up to the requisite skill level, I'm going to see if I can bodge a sniper conversion onto it and make a ridiculous scoped sniper revolver like the one in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

What's the name of it?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Havent played in ages, but gonna give this another try. Is there a default "Play this mod instead, poo poo-head!" version currently? Or is playing Stable ok?

Can you still start with different backgrounds like Army Guy etc, or was that GDA only?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
All of GDA got merged in.

Including the things goons like to bitch about, like bondage gear.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

I thought sniper conversions were only for rifles? I know the homemade hand cannon that fires .45 I threw together for shits and giggles has room for a conversion mod.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

nftyw posted:

At their most basic you just need to know how to fire "f" reload "r" (mash it if you're using shotguns/revolvers) and change to burst mode "F" and you're golden. You don't need a lot of skill to point a gun at the head of some zombie right next to you and pull a trigger.

And the pass time button ".". A crucially important piece of using guns many people forget - gotta recover from that recoil!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

GlyphGryph posted:

And the pass time button ".". A crucially important piece of using guns many people forget - gotta recover from that recoil!

This is a lie. Just get a lot of ammo, a double stacked magazine, and a nice gun. Brrrrrrrrrrrt!

edit: In other news, it looks like people want to scale the time it takes to craft and build with what you set your season length to. I use long seasons, because I don't like changing my clothes every week with the changing weather. Unfortunately a lot of people think that it's OP. So it looks like I'll get to look forward to it taking hours to cook scrambled eggs every day.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/11955

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 13, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Making a shitload of noise by emptying your mag so zombies surround you and you can't possibly miss indeed sounds like a solid strategy. May as well get drunk as gently caress to make it fun!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That makes more targets to kill, so yeah. It's fun. Zombies aren't really a threat anyways, so if I can have them come to me rather than the other way around I'll do it.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

All of GDA got merged in.

Including the things goons like to bitch about, like bondage gear.

why do people bitch about fetish gear? its a key component of the apocalypse

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Slaapaav posted:

why do people bitch about fetish gear? its a key component of the apocalypse
Never seen Mad Max, I suppose. It's tragic.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I dunno. It's like we're divided into camps by some great cataclysm, those pro leather bondage gear, those against it.

All I'm saying is the anti camp should just walk away.

Just walk away.

edit: The experamentals are getting a lot of neat stuff too. Regenerating underbrush, lots of low tech weapons for your tribal runs, and nifty things like that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Solid Poopsnake posted:

What's the name of it?

It's the RM99 revolver. It uses caseless ammunition, and can mount like 10 different mods and a conversion at the same time.

nftyw posted:

I thought sniper conversions were only for rifles? I know the homemade hand cannon that fires .45 I threw together for shits and giggles has room for a conversion mod.

I looked at the mod and yeah, it says rifles. What kinds of conversions are there for pistols?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's the RM99 revolver. It uses caseless ammunition, and can mount like 10 different mods and a conversion at the same time.

I looked at the mod and yeah, it says rifles. What kinds of conversions are there for pistols?

The item explorer has a list of gun mods.

http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/gunmods/pistol/bore