Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

zfleeman posted:

Just wanted update and say this remote is working famously with my setup. The Sony RMVLZ620.

Seconding this as long as you have some time to spend programming it. Main drawback (compared to previous Sony remotes such as the 600) is it's super picky when learning ir.

The main benefit of the Sony's is they're super cheap and you can program a macro in to the component select button that will properly switch you to that mode 100% if you program it right (discrete on codes, etc). Very girlfriend/in law friendly.

Also check out the Harmony 650. Although I've never used it, folks seem to like it and its on sale for $50 frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My Onkyo SR606 is still getting the job done. When I had the HDMI go out, I just spent $10 on Amazon for new capacitors and $10 at a local electronic repair shop for the 15 minute soldering job and it works like a champ still after 5+ years :colbert:

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

89 posted:

My Onkyo SR606 is still getting the job done. When I had the HDMI go out, I just spent $10 on Amazon for new capacitors and $10 at a local electronic repair shop for the 15 minute soldering job and it works like a champ still after 5+ years :colbert:

Which capacitors did you replace? Most guides seem to recommend replacing all the 100uF caps, which I did, albeit they had a variety of voltage ratings. Also, what awesome place do you live in that you have a local electronics repair store? I live just outside Philadelphia and the only place I could get caps was at a Microcenter, 20 miles away, and I basically had to buy every 100uF cap they had in stock (yes I could have ordered online but that would have meant waiting 4+ days).

I guess it could be worse for the $100 I paid for it on craigslist. The analog is actually sounding pretty good, I got some DSP plugins for foobar2k that seem to help out with music at least.

Edit: also wtf, my center channel always gets set to -5.0dB.

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 18, 2015

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

new TV bench, added some LED accent lights. Too bad my camera phone sucks dick.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
That looks incredibly distracting

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Time to bring the true theatre experience of distracting cellphone lights home.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Who doesn't love attention being called to equipment and cables?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

Who doesn't love attention being called to equipment and cables?

I already ordered replacement cables, the length on them was too short, but I thought I did pretty well :shrug:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That is some decent cable management, have to give you props there because I'm super lazy with that stuff.

However the point I think everyone else, and myself, are trying to make is all you're really doing with that lighting is calling attention to a bunch of equipment (that isn't super appealing) and taking away from what the main focus should be, your tv.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The Dave posted:

That is some decent cable management, have to give you props there because I'm super lazy with that stuff.

However the point I think everyone else, and myself, are trying to make is all you're really doing with that lighting is calling attention to a bunch of equipment (that isn't super appealing) and taking away from what the main focus should be, your tv.

I can solve this by just saying the wife wanted them because of her eye sight in the dark, but I actually don't mind the look, I also hosed up and bought the flat white LEDs instead of the color ones but IKEA is an hour away and I just said gently caress it :negative:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pop 'em behind the screen and it'll look fine, it's just a bit odd to be highlighting stuff that you don't need to see.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nah, it looks cool and could be dimmed during the movie. I would extend the lighting behind your display for that black level trick CRT makers don't want you to know about.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Nah, it looks cool and could be dimmed during the movie. I would extend the lighting behind your display for that black level trick CRT makers don't want you to know about.

People still make CRTs?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Photex posted:

I can solve this by just saying the wife wanted them because of her eye sight in the dark, but I actually don't mind the look, I also hosed up and bought the flat white LEDs instead of the color ones but IKEA is an hour away and I just said gently caress it :negative:

Don't feel bad. I have the same issue with my GF. Are you sure you have enough room around the PS4? Most of the intake vents are on the right side at the bottom and that looks a bit tight.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

HFX posted:

Don't feel bad. I have the same issue with my GF. Are you sure you have enough room around the PS4? Most of the intake vents are on the right side at the bottom and that looks a bit tight.

The PS4 is there for show I haven't actually turned it on awhile.

KernelFailure
Apr 5, 2004
What?

Photex posted:

new TV bench, added some LED accent lights. Too bad my camera phone sucks dick.

I'd like this better if you had some kind of buffer on those lights so they weren't so distracting, like a piece of opaque white plastic.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Think i'm just about done with this now.

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
106" Screen
Onkyo TX SR-607 Amp
Aperion Audio Intimus Speakers
Polk Audio 12" sub
Plex server with Roku 3 for playback
In wall wiring done myself
Recently installed hardwood flooring done myself

I rarely watch anything during the day, but I'll probably get some custom blackout shades in the near future for those windows. (There are blinds on them already)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Sweet fancy Moses, that's beautiful.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
106" Screen
Onkyo TX SR-607 Amp
Aperion Audio Intimus Speakers
Polk Audio 12" sub
Plex server with Roku 3 for playback
In wall wiring done myself
Recently installed hardwood flooring done myself

I rarely watch anything during the day, but I'll probably get some custom blackout shades in the near future for those windows. (There are blinds on them already)

Hey 106" bright room buddy! Walmart sells some pretty decent blackout shades that work wonders.

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

bEatmstrJ posted:

Where did you get the couch?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

funk_mata posted:

Where did you get the couch?

It's an Ashley sectional I bought about 5 years ago. Not sure if they still have it but it's pretty comfy. I don't know the exact model.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I also have an ashley sectional. I've owned it about 4 years and it's held up very very well. Bang for the buck they're a great buy, And when I get home from work and relax on it, I pretty much instantly get tired.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

jonathan posted:

I also have an ashley sectional. I've owned it about 4 years and it's held up very very well. Bang for the buck they're a great buy, And when I get home from work and relax on it, I pretty much instantly get tired.

People give Ashley a lot of poo poo but I too bought a sectional from them in 2012. I slept on it for a week straight after buying it because it was so comfy, and it's still going strong.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
How much was that? I'm looking to replace my couch and the only other thing I've found that I like is this Big Lots couch which is about $700 (the ottoman is another $200)

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I think $800 for Memorial Day sale. They had a matching (round) ottoman/chair-thing for like $200 too.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

kloa posted:

People give Ashley a lot of poo poo but I too bought a sectional from them in 2012. I slept on it for a week straight after buying it because it was so comfy, and it's still going strong.

Sup ashley sectional buddy. I have the exact same one, in my theater area, loving comfortable as poo poo. Fallen asleep on it many times. I got a "matching" leather ottoman for it so it's almost like having one massive chaise. its great.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Since we're about to sell the house, I guess it's now or never if I'm going to post my setup.

Epson Powerlite 3500 3d 1080p projector
Monoprice 106" multiformat screen
Rocket RS-750 Signature main speakers
Rocket RC-200 center speaker
Rocket RS-300 dipole surround speakers
Rocket RS-250 surround back speakers
AV123 MFW-15 15" subwoofers (x2)
Onkyo PR-SC5508 surround pre-amp/processor
Parasound 2100 2-channel pre-amp/processor
Emotiva XPA-3 3 channel amplifier
Emotiva XPA-5 5 channel amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player
Dune Smart D1 media player
PS4
PS3
Xbox 360
Wii U
Some lovely Comcast box
Apple TV
Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable
Audio Technica AT440MLA cartridge

I'm gonna miss this place.

pastis fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 1, 2015

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pastis posted:

Since we're about to sell the house, I guess it's now or never if I'm going to post my setup.

Epson Powerlite 3500 3d 1080p projector
Monoprice 106" multiformat screen
[...]
I'm gonna miss this place.

You sunk a bit of money into that setup. Will you be able to take anything with you?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
We're building a new house and wanted to maybe sneak in a theater room. Problem is currently the spot may be quite small. Haven't got final plans back, but maybe 10x20 or so.

Our last house I did in walls in the downstairs family room, motorized screen, etc. I think it was roughly 120" or so.

I still have the projector (Epson 3020e) and front floor standing speakers/center. Was planning on maybe doing all in wall this time, with a fixed screen.

My big question is, is 10x10 or 10x11 or so enough space for a theater room? (Honestly just looking for a couch and maybe a bean bag or two, if we get fancy we'd build up with tiers allowing mutiple levels.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kloa posted:

Yup, thats mine also. 3 of us have the same couch.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

MrEnigma posted:

We're building a new house and wanted to maybe sneak in a theater room. Problem is currently the spot may be quite small. Haven't got final plans back, but maybe 10x20 or so.

Our last house I did in walls in the downstairs family room, motorized screen, etc. I think it was roughly 120" or so.

I still have the projector (Epson 3020e) and front floor standing speakers/center. Was planning on maybe doing all in wall this time, with a fixed screen.

My big question is, is 10x10 or 10x11 or so enough space for a theater room? (Honestly just looking for a couch and maybe a bean bag or two, if we get fancy we'd build up with tiers allowing mutiple levels.

You can find online calculators that will have the optimal throw distance of your projector for a given screen size, and an optimal viewing distance, too. Should give you some ideas.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

Here is a link to a throw distance calculator :

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3020e-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I have a 106" in my living room and I sit about 10' from the screen. so it's doable. Epsons have ridiculous amounts of adjust-ability in regards to image placement so you should have no problem putting the image where you want it. If it was me, I would put the speakers in wall and do a perf 16X9 screen that filled the whole wall.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

ante posted:

You can find online calculators that will have the optimal throw distance of your projector for a given screen size, and an optimal viewing distance, too. Should give you some ideas.

Legdiian posted:

Here is a link to a throw distance calculator :

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3020e-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I have a 106" in my living room and I sit about 10' from the screen. so it's doable. Epsons have ridiculous amounts of adjust-ability in regards to image placement so you should have no problem putting the image where you want it. If it was me, I would put the speakers in wall and do a perf 16X9 screen that filled the whole wall.

Thanks guys, looks like it is doable. The newest iteration of the plans has about 9' 6" width, and about 16' length (I said 10x20 in my last post, but I think I meant 10x12). I think there will be a little jog for the entry way, which is where I will probably put a built in shelf for all the components (essentially in the back of the room someplace).

I did see this recommended elsewhere for acoustic transparency: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4WT9Q2/ Looks like the gain goes down a bit, but the projector is quite bright so it probably is not a problem. The good news is I could cram that screen in the front of the room, throw the front/center behind the screen and rear/side do in wall as well. It really just needs room for a couch, and potentially a bean bag or two. Might do a raised floor in the back to put the couch on. We did see one setup that was smaller than this room, but they excavated down further in the front so the 'stepping' was built into the floor itself. Probably quite expensive though.

Edit: If it wasn't clear, I'm from the midwest and we will have a full basement below the house with about half of it finished, the home theater room would go in part of this (under a jut out for our dining room). The width is constrained because there needs to be a load bearing wall/beam there, so it could be larger but there would put a pole in it.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 11, 2015

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Epson 1650 projector and a pair of JBL Eons for sound. I wanna say they are 500watt RMS? If I want bass I break out the JBL srx 700 series and 2 crown 5000i for power.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Is this the best place to ask for recommendations on home cinema setups? I'm looking for the best bang for my buck on a projector, screen, sound system. I heard the Epsom 3020 is good for the price, but I really have no idea.

I guess a ballpark budget would be under $2k for everything but maybe that's unrealistic. I'd appreciate any advice!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Everyone seems to rave about the BenQ ones.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Disco De Soto posted:

Is this the best place to ask for recommendations on home cinema setups? I'm looking for the best bang for my buck on a projector, screen, sound system. I heard the Epsom 3020 is good for the price, but I really have no idea.

I guess a ballpark budget would be under $2k for everything but maybe that's unrealistic. I'd appreciate any advice!
For what little it's worth, I'm planning on picking up a Benq 1075 and a Silver Ticket of some sort (unless I decide to spring for the Sony VPL-HW40ES or whatever it is). Should be ~1050 or so IIRC.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Disco De Soto posted:

Projectors:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667435

Audio equipment shopping advice:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The sellers of my house left a giant DLP or projection Toshiba in the basement that they literally finished the basement around. It has no HDMI inputs and the only way to get it out is going to be to smash it (or disassemble it, I guess.)

Is there a box that will let me combine and convert HDMI to component and audio? Or should I just get my sledgehammer? (I'm actually just going to find some college kids to do break it up and haul it out if I have to go this route.)

e: also, do old tvs have a capacitor that will kill me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

The sellers of my house left a giant DLP or projection Toshiba in the basement that they literally finished the basement around. It has no HDMI inputs and the only way to get it out is going to be to smash it (or disassemble it, I guess.)

Is there a box that will let me combine and convert HDMI to component and audio? Or should I just get my sledgehammer? (I'm actually just going to find some college kids to do break it up and haul it out if I have to go this route.)

e: also, do old tvs have a capacitor that will kill me?

That box is a receiver that will let you pass thru HDMI to component. Just a regular old receiver. Not uncommon, you just need to make sure whatever you buy does it. If you want surround sound you're going to need one anyways. So there's no surround sound wired, just a big tv in a wall?

And there are no caps in that tv that will kill you. They'll kill the college kids you hire.