Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

She specifically isn't. 1x13 spoiler - She tells Owlsley that she's going home. He says, "to China?" She says "somewhere much further away than that."

:| I just got to that part (like literally 2s ago) so why would that guy throw it out like that when the people having the discussion weren't even there yet?

I'm not sure what that means, but I don't think it means she's not Chinese. I'm Chinese and I consider somewhere else my homeland.

VDay posted:

I took that to mean that she's just being cryptic and is actually talking about some secret shady ninja place, not that she's just from Australia or something.

Ditto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Not a spoiler at all but a interview with Vincent D'Onofrio on playing Wilson Fisk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUy8zfRUKNk

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gilok posted:

Those panels make me want to punch Joe Quesada in the head.

Only those panels? I go through life wanting to punch Joe, Dan Didio, and Jeph Loeb in the head.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Joe Quasada get's a lot of poo poo, but he's the first artist to be named Editor in Chief, and is kind of responsible the for the Daredevil stories we have now. He's a terrible writer, but he's a great artists and he brought some amazing talent to Marvel Comics.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hollismason posted:

Joe Quasada get's a lot of poo poo, but he's the first artist to be named Editor in Chief, and is kind of responsible the for the Daredevil stories we have now. He's a terrible writer, but he's a great artists and he brought some amazing talent to Marvel Comics.

Counterpoint:One More Day/One Moment In Time. :arghfist::spidey:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

e X posted:

As great as that scene [in episode three] is, it would have been nice if we had actually seen something to back this up.

While the scene in 1x03 where the hitman commits suicide by railing spike was kind of fun I was left a little disappointed afterwards that he had spilled the beans and wouldn't rather die than talk like he intimated that Fisk's people aspire to. Having someone say that but no-one actually follow through on it undercuts it, no matter how gory you make the guy's suicide. A suicide that didn't really even serve much of a purpose, because if he thinks Fisk is super clever and going to know he was the one who talked regardless then killing himself isn't going to save anyone he knows, and now there's no one to warn or protect them. On the other hand if he'd left he'd have either been able to start trying to save his folks or just waited to see if anything would come of it.

It's just a scene to be shocking for the sake of shocking really, which robs it of impact. I had much the same problem with all the examples of Fisk buying people off though personally. There were just too many of them, to the point it got kind of stupid and started to make things silly rather than tense or dramatic.

Raserys posted:

Here's the solution to all these problems: A Hercules show.

A Hercules show as the light-hearted, optimistic and silly fun times show a la the Flash to Daredevil's Arrow analogue would be pretty amazing. Him, or She-Hulk, which could make for a really fun episodic comedy show set in the MCU with lots of cameos and lampshading a la some of her better comic runs. And also giving them a female lead show I suppose, since that's probably something they'll want to get on eventually.

WickedHate posted:

She's from K'un L'un, or...Feng-Tu? I'm not really big on Iron Fist lore, but she's otherworldly and her heroin is called Silver Dragon(and has the Silver Dragon symbol), who's an Iron Fist villian. She might not even be human.

Also, ninjas are Japanese, Leland.

Pretty sure Lady Gao is actually [general series spoilers, all episodes - also Iron Fist stuff]Crane Mother, matriach of the mystical city of Ku'n-Zi and that she'll be one of the primary antagonists, if not the primary antagonist of the Iron Fist show. Her champion would be Iron Fist's arch-nemesis, Davos, the Steel Serpent, rather than the Silver Dragon. The fact that the heroin she was selling was called Steel Serpent and had the same symbol as Davos' mystical tattoo would indicate pretty well she's his sponsor, not any of the others.

Not really related, but when Matt started snooping around her factory I thought to myself "if she starts busting out some moves on him I'll nerdgasm". Then she did. So I had to. I started bouncing up and down on my feet a little and clapping my hands like a child with a huge grin on my face. I'm not even that learned on the character, but I'm really looking forward to the Iron Fist show and hoping it'd do the Heavenly Tournament stuff from Brubaker's run, so her confirming it by standing up to Matt, then disappearing quickly and telling Owlsley she's from someplace considerably further away than China made me insanely pleased. And then dismayed when I learned it'll be the last to air and have to wait so long to see it.

Also, maybe not a clue on her identity really, but further proof perhaps - when Fisk asked her what other languages she spoke she answered "all of them", and she was pushing Fisk to adopt, or perhaps re-dedicate to the same detached soldier mentality that Stick was trying to engender in Matt. I was trying to figure out what her stake in things by setting up a heroin shop in New York was, and just realized typing this that maybe she was trying to make Fisk her champion in the same way Stick may have been doing for Matt? If Stick was doing so, I wonder will he replace one of the champions from the comics? Or will they just add another mystical city? Or maybe two, giving the Hand another too?

Regarding Urich, I found it a little weird that, in episode one or two his editor passed on printing a story about company corruption as being something people aren't interested in, because, while it's possible American newspapers are different to those here in Ireland/the UK, those kinds of stories still shift ink because they give people a chance to bitch about how hosed up government/big business is if nothing else. Also, that Urich and his paper in general didn't seem at all interested in stories regarding the Devil in Hell's Kitchen, because there was a short period where he could have been pushing Karen and others for info on that to lead in to the story on Fisk.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

tsob posted:

Pretty sure Lady Gao is actually [general series spoilers, all episodes - also Iron Fist stuff]Crane Mother, matriach of the mystical city of Ku'n-Zi and that she'll be one of the primary antagonists, if not the primary antagonist of the Iron Fist show. Her champion would be Iron Fist's arch-nemesis, Davos, the Steel Serpent, rather than the Silver Dragon. The fact that the heroin she was selling was called Steel Serpent and had the same symbol as Davos' mystical tattoo would indicate pretty well she's his sponsor, not any of the others.

I totally meant to say Steel Serpent. Steel, Silver, Serpent, Dragon, both Iron Fist villians, easy to get mixed up.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

tsob posted:

A Hercules show as the light-hearted, optimistic and silly fun times show a la the Flash to Daredevil's Arrow analogue would be pretty amazing. Him, or She-Hulk, which could make for a really fun episodic comedy show set in the MCU with lots of cameos and lampshading a la some of her better comic runs. And also giving them a female lead show I suppose, since that's probably something they'll want to eventually.

I think you're forgetting Agent Carter and Jessica Jones (kind of sad it can't be called Alias, but oh well).

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Five words sum up why I loved this Kingpin.

1x13 "I am the ill intent"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WickedHate posted:

I totally meant to say Steel Serpent. Steel, Silver, Serpent, Dragon, both Iron Fist villians, easy to get mixed up.

Kind of figured that was the case, but pointing it out just in case since there is also a Silver Dragon. Also, forgot to mention that Matt's black mask gives me more hopes for Iron Fist since it works really well visually, and the loose ties behind it along with the brighter color could look real cool assuming they keep it for Iron Fist.

Dogeatdog posted:

I think you're forgetting Agent Carter and Jessica Jones (kind of sad it can't be called Alias, but oh well).

I thought the Agent Carter thing was just a mini rather than a full blown tv show? I was forgetting Jessica Jones though, yea.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tsob posted:

I thought the Agent Carter thing was just a mini rather than a full blown tv show? I was forgetting Jessica Jones though, yea.

Agent Carter is another full-blown TV series.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh drat, I wish you were in my shoes and cringe every time they try to speak Spanish, I always give a pass on the characters that are American, but when you have characters that are supposed to be naturally fluent I go extremely :spergin: but then I just pretend they are like second or third, or whatever generation and they can't speak the language at all. And by the way, Cárdenas was being wrong pronounced the whole time.
*spoilers tags just in case.

I wonder if the Russian was well spoken, or had the same flaws.

How was the Spanish, by character, if you don't mind? Like was [spoilers slightly more spoilery than Foggy's language of choice at College]Matt's good, Karen's ok, and everyone else passable? Or was it people presented as fluent being poo poo?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man just finished episode 11 and I can't believe she shot Wesley to death, now I hate her :argh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So when people refer to Wesley am I the only one who keeps making Princess Bride jokes?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
inconceivable

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1 x 11 I actually like Karen and Wesley so that stand off sucked , I don't get why people would not like Karen, I thought her character was good. Intelligent , etc..

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

1 x 11 I actually like Karen and Wesley so that stand off sucked , I don't get why people would not like Karen, I thought her character was good. Intelligent , etc..

I liked her up until she shot Wesley, it has taken the wind out of the sails. And Foggy seems to be getting on fine without her anyway

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Every moment D'onofrio is on screen is a moment I'll cherish forever

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Valeyard posted:

I liked her up until she shot Wesley, it has taken the wind out of the sails. And Foggy seems to be getting on fine without her anyway

1 x 11 Hilariously or not so Hilariously, which goes back to my " Wilson Fisk is Corruption made manifest" . Wesley dies BECAUSE of Wilson, that's Wilson calling him I'm pretty sure. Answering the phone to Wilson calling is so second nature that Wesley doesn't hestitate and that is why Karen is able to shoot him. Wilson causes the death of Wesley.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Did I spot a Stan Lee cameo in episode 13? When Hoffman turns himself in, I think he's on a poster to the right of the desk sergeant.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did I spot a Stan Lee cameo in episode 13? When Hoffman turns himself in, I think he's on a poster to the right of the desk sergeant.

Yeah someone posted a picture a few pages back. Well at least now we know how Stan is gonna keep appearing in marvel stuff when he passes :unsmith:

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Hollismason posted:

1 x 11 Hilariously or not so Hilariously, which goes back to my " Wilson Fisk is Corruption made manifest" . Wesley dies BECAUSE of Wilson, that's Wilson calling him I'm pretty sure. Answering the phone to Wilson calling is so second nature that Wesley doesn't hestitate and that is why Karen is able to shoot him. Wilson causes the death of Wesley.

1x11
No. Karen shot him 5 or 6 times in the chest. She straight up murdered him (with excess) when she could have wounded him or walked out with a gun pointed at him. She sucks and I hate her. Wesley was the best. :qq:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Robutt posted:

1x11
No. Karen shot him 5 or 6 times in the chest. She straight up murdered him (with excess) when she could have wounded him or walked out with a gun pointed at him. She sucks and I hate her. Wesley was the best. :qq:

1x11 She was dead regardless because Wesley knew that she had visited Wilson's mother, she wasn't really given a choice. If she hadn't killed him then he'd have basically have corrupted her as well

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Robutt posted:

1x11

On the other hand, if she had done that he'd have just come and kidnapped or killed her again a few days later and they both know that. He made his intentions pretty explicit. It's preventive self defense really, given what he'd said and that she had every reason to believe he meant it.

Also, she sucks because she murdered a guy. A guy who was himself a stone cold murderer who'd done it far more than she is likely to ever have (even given the hints regarding her past) and with far less emotional turmoil over the act. They were both cool. Two cool folks walked in to a bar though, and only one could walk out. Better it be the one who didn't want to be there than the one who did.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 13, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Robutt posted:

1x11

1x11

She murdered him after he said they would kill everyone she has ever talked to, and then kill her. But sure, let's wound him or walk out with the gun pointed at him. I'm sure he'll head back to Fisk and tell him no worries, nothing happened, move along.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

1x11

She murdered him after he said they would kill everyone she has ever talked to, and then kill her. But sure, let's wound him or walk out with the gun pointed at him. I'm sure he'll head back to Fisk and tell him no worries, nothing happened, move along.

11 and by killing him, she has surely saved herself and her friends from being killed

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Valeyard posted:

11 and by killing him, she has surely saved herself and her friends from being killed

11 Didn't Wesley specifically tell her that he hadn't told Fisk yet and he was the only one who knew?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

1x11

Bah, I guess I'm just upset about Wesley - looking back at the whole series I do think he was my favourite character. I'm just confused how Karen can be seen as justified or likeable after the brutality of Wesley's murder. I accept that she felt she had no choice in killing him, but emptying his gun into his chest? Not cool, Karen.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Robutt posted:

1x11

Bah, I guess I'm just upset about Wesley - looking back at the whole series I do think he was my favourite character. I'm just confused how Karen can be seen as justified or likeable after the brutality of Wesley's murder. I accept that she felt she had no choice in killing him, but emptying his gun into his chest? Not cool, Karen.

1x11

It's true, that was brutal. Fisk and Wesley would never do anything like that to people, thank god.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Robutt posted:

1x11

1x11

Yeah seriously Karen double Tap like a pro and act like you've been there before :jerkbag:

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Robutt posted:

1x11

Are you serious?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

1x11

It's true, that was brutal. Fisk and Wesley would never do anything like that to people, thank god.

11 I don't think your good protagonists should be doing stuff the same way as the evil antagonists

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

XboxPants posted:

11 Didn't Wesley specifically tell her that he hadn't told Fisk yet and he was the only one who knew?

Even if he hadn't, it wouldn't matter. It's better to live, if only for another few hours and warn her friends than to simply accept death at the hands of a murderer and hope it all works out. Sure, killing him might have made things worse, but not killing him certainly wouldn't have made things better.

Robutt posted:

1x11

She's emotionally distraught and over-reacting out of fear and because she's running on an adrenaline high. It's pretty obvious too. I like Westley as well, but it's not like the show didn't spell all this out.

Valeyard posted:

11 I don't think your good protagonists should be doing stuff the same way as the evil antagonists

Good thing she wasn't then. There's a pretty clear difference between kidnapping someone in their home, and then threatening to kill them and everyone they love over weeks as payback for a minor transgression and killing out of fear and desperation in the heat of the moment.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1 x 11 That's what I loved about the episode. I mean don't get me wrong, I loved Wesley's Character, but I also really like Karen, so that just sucked.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Robutt posted:

1x11

1X11
That's a silly reason to be mad at her. Killed is dead whether it's one shot or 6. The real reason to annoyed with Karen is her constant instance on putting everyone around her in danger. Her entire story in the season is being selfishly determined to atone for the death of the lawyer in her apartment that wasn't her fault, in the process actually causing harm to reign down through her actions. People die, lives are ruined, and corruption is made worse through her actions. Yes she's trying to do the right thing, but she never considers the consequences and thinks weak apologies to those affected counter the good intention paving stone factory she's built up.

Matt feels guilty and blames himself for everything. Foggy feels bad for bad things happening to other people. Karen absolves herself of guilt by digging deeper and getting more people involved. She's not a bad character or anything and I like her. But she's an anti-damsel in distress, causing destruction to all those she comes in contact with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Robutt posted:

1x11

You are a confused sociopath. It's like you're living a Twitter reality.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

1x11

1x11

I'm probably misremembering but I don't recall Wesley ever showing an excess of force. Sure he's cold and efficient but never lost it like Fisk (or Karen).

I don't know, all I was trying to say is that Karen is a murderer who hasn't admitted to it (even in confidence to Matt or Foggy) and for me at least that wiped away most of the sympathy I had for the character.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Robutt posted:

1x11

I'm probably misremembering but I don't recall Wesley ever showing an excess of force. Sure he's cold and efficient but never lost it like Fisk (or Karen).

I don't know, all I was trying to say is that Karen is a murderer who hasn't admitted to it (even in confidence to Matt or Foggy) and for me at least that wiped away most of the sympathy I had for the character.

1x11

So chloroforming Karen at her doorstep, bringing her to a warehouse and threatening to kill everyone she holds dear is what... a loving first date?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
11 does anyone have a count on the number of people we saw Wesley kill? :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Robutt posted:

1x11

You are out of your goddamned mind.