Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Valeyard posted:

11 does anyone have a count on the number of people we saw Wesley kill? :grin:

1 attempted murder and 1 kidnapping with a threat of mass murder. Also like 10 or 12 murder assists, 4 arson assists, 3 or 4 extortions, 4 kidnapping assists with intent to white slave, and I think 1 bribery. With the stipulation that we saw those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Well apparently liking one TV character and disliking another makes me a crazy sociopath. Good to know.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Robutt posted:

1x11

I'm probably misremembering but I don't recall Wesley ever showing an excess of force. Sure he's cold and efficient but never lost it like Fisk (or Karen).

I don't know, all I was trying to say is that Karen is a murderer who hasn't admitted to it (even in confidence to Matt or Foggy) and for me at least that wiped away most of the sympathy I had for the character.

She "lost it" (inverted commas very much in effect here), because someone had just kidnapped her and threatened to kill everyone she ever loved before she'd grabbed a gun in desperation. If you're not used to that kind of situation, and we have no reason to believe she is, the rush of adrenaline will cause you to act rather extremely because you're essentially high on the fight or flight adrenaline rush. And while she might not have told anyone it's obviously tearing her up that she killed him given the way she refers to it several times in the following episodes, constantly alluding to how she can't get past what she did. Admitting to killing someone isn't something that you want to just drop on your friends, no matter how good they are. Not even as a case of "what if they turn me in or no longer love me?". Telling them makes them equally culpable for not turning her in should it come out. She's still processing the whole thing herself and kind of has to finish that before she'll be ready to admit it to anyone else most likely.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Gyges posted:

1X11
That's a silly reason to be mad at her. Killed is dead whether it's one shot or 6. The real reason to annoyed with Karen is her constant instance on putting everyone around her in danger. Her entire story in the season is being selfishly determined to atone for the death of the lawyer in her apartment that wasn't her fault, in the process actually causing harm to reign down through her actions. People die, lives are ruined, and corruption is made worse through her actions. Yes she's trying to do the right thing, but she never considers the consequences and thinks weak apologies to those affected counter the good intention paving stone factory she's built up.

Matt feels guilty and blames himself for everything. Foggy feels bad for bad things happening to other people. Karen absolves herself of guilt by digging deeper and getting more people involved. She's not a bad character or anything and I like her. But she's an anti-damsel in distress, causing destruction to all those she comes in contact with.

11 Sure, but I'm not sure why you're singling out Karen when you could say all the same things about Matt. Matt got Old Lady Elena killed, Claire tortured, a little kid kidnapped and his dad crazy beaten up, and all other sorts of horrible things.

In the end, none of that is on Matt or Karen, it's on the sick fuckers that are actually doing the murdering. You can martyr yourself or other people all you want, but in the end, Elena was the one that decided to keep sticking up for herself and fight for her neighbors, and Fisk was the one who decided to kill her. It's not reasonable to blame Matt for it, even if he could have prevented it. Same goes for Karen and, for instance, the danger she supposedly placed Ben into. She's not in control of Ben's life, he is. He put his own self in danger, not her. That's all on him.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Valeyard posted:

11 I don't think your good protagonists should be doing stuff the same way as the evil antagonists

1x11
It's almost like this was a central theme of the show.

Karen is a severely traumatized woman who had been attacked *several* times by Fisk's organization, including in her own home and by a corrupt cop while in police custody. And this dude just said he'd murder her and everyone she loved.

How is that not literally the very definition of self-defense? Even Daredevil kills people when he has no choice, as with Nobu; the show takes pains to explore the complexity of those kinds of moral questions...and frankly, the grayness of it all is fully earned, in my opinion.

As a general aside, I got a total Smithers vibe from Wesley and it made me laugh constantly.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Can we all at least agree that 1x11 Wesley's death was a huge loving surprise and awesome moment?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Series spoiler because I'm not sure when it occurs:

What episode mentions the orphanage Matt grew up in by name? Isn't it Saint Agnes, where Skye from Agents of SHIELD was raised as well?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PunkBoy posted:

Series spoiler because I'm not sure when it occurs:

What episode mentions the orphanage Matt grew up in by name? Isn't it Saint Agnes, where Skye from Agents of SHIELD was raised as well?

Yes, the same one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

XboxPants posted:

11 Sure, but I'm not sure why you're singling out Karen when you could say all the same things about Matt. Matt got Old Lady Elena killed, Claire tortured, a little kid kidnapped and his dad crazy beaten up, and all other sorts of horrible things.

In the end, none of that is on Matt or Karen, it's on the sick fuckers that are actually doing the murdering. You can martyr yourself or other people all you want, but in the end, Elena was the one that decided to keep sticking up for herself and fight for her neighbors, and Fisk was the one who decided to kill her. It's not reasonable to blame Matt for it, even if he could have prevented it. Same goes for Karen and, for instance, the danger she supposedly placed Ben into. She's not in control of Ben's life, he is. He put his own self in danger, not her. That's all on him.

1x12

Matt puts people in danger in a less direct way through his actions and actively tries to save those he does put in danger. He actively tries to not pull anyone else into danger through his actions.(Obviously excepting mobsters and the like.) His is the whole Spiderman/general vigilante dilemma.

Karen on the other hand doesn't just poke hornets nests, she ropes people into standing beside her when she does it. Ben gets killed because she doesn't like him trying to get out, so she literally tricks him into meeting Fisk's mother. She knows that she's actively pissing off dangerous people and doesn't tell Foggy or Matt that she's locking the office door because people are likely coming for her. It's the casual and willful endangerment of everyone around her that is different than Matt, and kind of annoying.

It's not bad for the plot and doesn't make her a bad character, but it's way more annoying than Matt and Foggy not telling Karen he's the Devil of Hell's Kitchen. Especially since it was shown more than once that she really does need back up and should bounce her ideas off someone else before charging in.

I just want her to be honest with the guys, and they drink some eel liquor about it, and then Matt goes and Devil punches the problems away. Then Foggy makes a joke about hangovers the next day.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Apoplexy posted:

Can we all at least agree that 1x11 Wesley's death was a huge loving surprise and awesome moment?

Definitely. I was getting quite sleepy at the time, but that made me sit right up and kept me going for a good while more out of sheer happiness. I half expected it once he put the gun down, but it was still a great moment for her regardless.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Found this show earlier today and my fiancee & I are on episode 4 so far, pretty good but hot drat is it dark and violent. Also I'm only a little familiar with Daredevil the comic book character, is the Catholic part from the comics or did they invent it for the show?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Remember starting tonight at 3am EST we no longer have to use spoiler tags. I'll be taking a vacation at that point as I'm only done through episode seven. But I'd like to ask everyone that has posted how well you like this policy for spoilers and would you like it to continue for other Netflix shows? I think pretty much everyone understood it and did exactly as it was laid out and in that case I'd call it a success but I'd like to hear feedback from you guys as well.

C-Euro posted:

Found this show earlier today and my fiancee & I are on episode 4 so far, pretty good but hot drat is it dark and violent. Also I'm only a little familiar with Daredevil the comic book character, is the Catholic part from the comics or did they invent it for the show?

Daredevil is Catholic Guilt The Superhero.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Gyges posted:

1x12

Matt puts people in danger in a less direct way through his actions and actively tries to save those he does put in danger. He actively tries to not pull anyone else into danger through his actions.(Obviously excepting mobsters and the like.) His is the whole Spiderman/general vigilante dilemma.

Karen on the other hand doesn't just poke hornets nests, she ropes people into standing beside her when she does it. Ben gets killed because she doesn't like him trying to get out, so she literally tricks him into meeting Fisk's mother. She knows that she's actively pissing off dangerous people and doesn't tell Foggy or Matt that she's locking the office door because people are likely coming for her. It's the casual and willful endangerment of everyone around her that is different than Matt, and kind of annoying.

It's not bad for the plot and doesn't make her a bad character, but it's way more annoying than Matt and Foggy not telling Karen he's the Devil of Hell's Kitchen. Especially since it was shown more than once that she really does need back up and should bounce her ideas off someone else before charging in.

I just want her to be honest with the guys, and they drink some eel liquor about it, and then Matt goes and Devil punches the problems away. Then Foggy makes a joke about hangovers the next day.

That makes sense, I actually can see the differentiation you're making between her and Matt. I'll be really interested to see where they take her character and what kind of crazy poo poo she has in her backstory.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

1 attempted murder and 1 kidnapping with a threat of mass murder. Also like 10 or 12 murder assists, 4 arson assists, 3 or 4 extortions, 4 kidnapping assists with intent to white slave, and I think 1 bribery. With the stipulation that we saw those.

I am actually impressed with the detail in there.

11 so we saw Karen kill infinitely more people than Wesley :grin: :grin:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

e1 x 13 Karen Discussion Karen straight up tells his wife she cause Bens death which was a interesting scene, she is also pivotal to bringing down Wilson, and what's hilarious is it's not some made up skill. She worked in a Accountants office as his secretary, so the way she figures it out is actually in line with her background. It's also heavily implied that she had a messed up past and got through it.

To me Karen is the most interesting, because he is the pivot on what everyone else revolves around. She's actively going out and trying to bring down Wilson Fisk. She doesn't have ninja training either.

Karen actually almost plays the role of Wilson in the show, everyone else moves around and because of her in a way.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Remember starting tonight at 3am EST we no longer have to use spoiler tags. I'll be taking a vacation at that point as I'm only done through episode seven. But I'd like to ask everyone that has posted how well you like this policy for spoilers and would you like it to continue for other Netflix shows? I think pretty much everyone understood it and did exactly as it was laid out and in that case I'd call it a success but I'd like to hear feedback from you guys as well.

For reference, I'm a whiny "keep your spoilers away!!!!" person. I even avoided looking at the full costume.

I think the policy worked very well. It helped me read reactions to episodes as I was going through it, and then hopefully tag stuff appropriately I finished. Also, even though 72 hours might seem short, in practice I feel like it was plenty of time for the policy to be in place. I'm super ready to just have open field discussion of the show. I'd even be fine if you cut it back to 48 hours in the future.

There are people who haven't finished yet, but as you mention, anyone who doesn't wanna be spoiled really oughta know not to come into an active thread.

One thing though - If the OP wanted, they could even link to where discussion of the show started, with an explanation that the first several pages have all the spoilers tagged by episode. Because that discussion might still be interesting to newcomers, and all the posts will remain properly labeled, and then eventually they'll get to your post that says "spoiler tags are about to end" and they can stop reading. Just a thought though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I thought the 72 hour thing was a good deal. I enjoyed not having it spoiled and still being able to talk about things.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deadpool posted:

I think the updated spoiler policy went gangbusters.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

C-Euro posted:

Matt Murdock is more Catholic than the Pope.

Deadpool posted:

I liked it well enough. But I also don't actually care about spoilers. It did make it easier to remember what happened in what specific episode though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Robutt posted:

1x11

I'm probably misremembering but I don't recall Wesley ever showing an excess of force. Sure he's cold and efficient but never lost it like Fisk (or Karen).

I don't know, all I was trying to say is that Karen is a murderer who hasn't admitted to it (even in confidence to Matt or Foggy) and for me at least that wiped away most of the sympathy I had for the character.

11 we get it. Women should stay in their place, amirite? How dare they "defend" themselves

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Gyges posted:

Matt Murdock is more Catholic than the Pope.

He is our hero :catholic:

Already on early episode 12, almost done, I'm going to whine for a season 2 once this is over.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

1x10

I actually really, really care what Foggy thinks of Murdoc and oh god I hope they don't break up

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Jessica Jones' show comes next, and then Luke Cage? or will Luke's show come first?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Robutt posted:

Well apparently liking one TV character and disliking another makes me a crazy sociopath. Good to know.

shine on you crazy diamond

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Drifter posted:

Jessica Jones' show comes next, and then Luke Cage? or will Luke's show come first?

AKA Jessica Jones first, it's filming right now. Luke Cage after that, then Iron Fist.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Drifter posted:

Cage and Iron Fist are in 2016, and then (I think) Defends in 2017.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Foggy's ex is hot

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Foggy's ex is a bit too valley blonde and meaty for my tastes. The actress playing Karen is something else, however. :heysexy: And Rosie Dawson is just the angel that she is.

I wonder if they would take any of the feedback from this first show and alter the other shows based off of that, or if they just write and produce those things in a bubble.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Foggy's ex is a bit too valley blonde and meaty for my tastes. Karen is something else, however. :heysexy: And Rosie Dawson is just the angel that she is.

I wonder if they would take any of the feedback from this first show and alter the other shows based off of that, or if they just write and produce those things in a bubble.

I don't see how they wouldn't since none of the others are even finished yet.

Everyone drinks the eel now!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Daredevil is Catholic Guilt The Superhero.

I really enjoyed the spoiler policy. I got to binge, read some thoughts, sleep and repeat. Honestly I wouldn't be adverse to extending it to a week for future series or what have you if it's what will encourage more people to venture into threads to do a quality check but a weekend is fine since it looks like most of us binged through it.

Drifter posted:

Foggy's ex is a bit too valley blonde and meaty for my tastes. The actress playing Karen is something else, however. :heysexy: And Rosie Dawson is just the angel that she is.

What was it that Karen called her? A meat grinder? :v:

Gyges posted:

1x12

1x12

Yeah I appreciated her character arc but by the end I wanted her to tell the guys so they could spill the beans on Daredevil and then go drink some eel booze

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 13, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I do like that they don't beat you over the head with it , but it is pretty straight on that Matt is Catholic, although he may not be a " practicing" Catholic it's obviously part of who he is which I thought was a really cool part of the character.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought the spoiler policy and the way everyone handled it here was pretty darn great.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Is there a better match than this? This is wine, I thought they were drinking hard liquor of some type.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

1x07
Stick is awesome and it was a real shock seeing Stone at the end. Was not expecting him to be on the show. My guess is that since the Stick story is pretty much a one-and-done thing is that it's setting up something for the future.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Is it wrong that I (13) significantly preferred the tacktleneck duds to the actual Daredevil suit?

Otherwise this has been a great show to watch, I love what they did with Fisk.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

notthegoatseguy posted:

11 we get it. Women should stay in their place, amirite? How dare they "defend" themselves

11 My dislike of Karen has nothing to do with her gender. Or at least, not consciously... I think. drat, this thread has me analyzing my own psyche. Am I really that dreaded triple rear end in a top hat the crazy sociopathic misogynist?

mikeraskol posted:

AKA Jessica Jones first, it's filming right now. Luke Cage after that, then Iron Fist.

And I believe Luke will be on Jessica's show first but its hard to say in what capacity - probably recurring?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I do like that they don't beat you over the head with it , but it is pretty straight on that Matt is Catholic, although he may not be a " practicing" Catholic it's obviously part of who he is which I thought was a really cool part of the character.

13? I found Matt's long chats with his priest about morality and the devil fascinating and insightful - I agree Matt's Catholicism is a really interesting and cool part of his character.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Robutt posted:

And I believe Luke will be on Jessica's show first but its hard to say in what capacity - probably recurring?

If you look at the IMDB for the actor, you might get an answer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Welp I know I'm a couple days late to the party but just started watching it and this is already a near perfect treatment of Daredevil. It's amazing that after so many wet fart attempts to do him fuckin Netflix is nailing it.

I'm just starting episode 3, but man is this a great start.

Also I'm sure it's been pointed out but I love that in episode 1 part of his confession thing about his dad was talking about how he would slowly walk straight at his opponents with his arms at his side just taking blows to scare the poo poo out of him, and then in 2 when he walks down the hallway to fight the Russians he's got his arms straight down and fists balled up walking slowly.

Daredevil: Basically a big ball of Catholic Guilt and daddy issues somehow turning into a badass.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think that's what actually makes me like the character more, for whatever reason. I find Matt's Catholicism believable, and a driving force for his character.

Like take Captain America's origin. We're given no real reason why Steve Rogers is a good person. Like was he born good, who did he idealize. The story starts as a scrappy guy who never gives up. So was he born with a indomitable spirit? It's just basically through years of being beaten on Steve Rogers is a good person.

Matt clearly has a influence on who he idealized, who raised him, etc..

It's more believable that Matt would be a hero than some others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea none of that was meant as a bad thing. A dude with massive Catholic morality and guilt issues seeing his dad a victim of immoral people trying to do good by his son while living in loving Hell's Kitchen totally could logically go all vigilante on people that the law isn't able to handle. That very first scene of him doing confessional sets the mood perfectly, it's just a dude talking to a priest about how great his dad was and realizing he needs to live up to this idealized view he has of him.