Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I think that's what actually makes me like the character more, for whatever reason. I find Matt's Catholicism believable, and a driving force for his character.

Like take Captain America's origin. We're given no real reason why Steve Rogers is a good person. Like was he born good, who did he idealize. The story starts as a scrappy guy who never gives up. So was he born with a indomitable spirit? It's just basically through years of being beaten on Steve Rogers is a good person.

Matt clearly has a influence on who he idealized, who raised him, etc..

It's more believable that Matt would be a hero than some others.

It's a good TV series since it gave us a origin story in a satisfying way in terms of explaining character motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

strangemusic posted:

Is it wrong that I (13) significantly preferred the tacktleneck duds to the actual Daredevil suit?

Otherwise this has been a great show to watch, I love what they did with Fisk.

It's a really goddamn good costume. 13 The tailor said that some parts of his costume weren't finished, so it could look different next time we see it. I sure wouldn't mind a sleeker, simpler design.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

It's a good TV series since it gave us a origin story in a satisfying way in terms of explaining character motivations.

Yea so far no flashbacks or the like have felt out of place. They all fit the theme of the episode. Episode 2 wove the most important part of his story into the episode flawlessly, so with that out of the way well all they have to do is not make the more 'finishing detail' elements hamfisted and they succeed.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

strangemusic posted:

Is it wrong that I (13) significantly preferred the tacktleneck duds to the actual Daredevil suit?

Otherwise this has been a great show to watch, I love what they did with Fisk.

I agree. I thought the Daredevil body armor was kinda cool looking, but I did prefer the 'homemade' outfit, especially the bandanna

I might need to go back and rewatch like a sperg, but (general costume question) did Matt's costume keep 'improving' as the episodes went on? It seemed like he went from like, a black sweater to black underarmor, to some sort of tactical shirt. I don't know if he was refining it, or just throwing on whatever long-sleeved black shirt that wasn't cut to Hell

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

1 x 13 Costume is actually pretty interesting when you look at where the black is and it specifically designed to take a bullet. I like the costume. It's probably one of the better looking ones and it's based on a previous Daredevil costume as well

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

LadyPictureShow posted:

I agree. I thought the Daredevil body armor was kinda cool looking, but I did prefer the 'homemade' outfit, especially the bandanna

I might need to go back and rewatch like a sperg, but (general costume question) did Matt's costume keep 'improving' as the episodes went on? It seemed like he went from like, a black sweater to black underarmor, to some sort of tactical shirt. I don't know if he was refining it, or just throwing on whatever long-sleeved black shirt that wasn't cut to Hell

Costume/through 1x13: No, he only considered armor after the Nobu fight kicked the everloving poo poo out of him and he found that Fisk wore something cloth-like that deflected a blade. He was black shirt and mask until the fight with Fisk in episode 13. Hell, there was even an entire subplot about him going to see Potter and then picking up the outfit and poo poo!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

general costume You know, I did start noticing eventually that he was wearing something more like underarmor, but I thought I was just picking up on a detail I missed before. But I bet you're right; his old poo poo was constantly getting sliced up, so he would have thrown away his first shirts. That'll be something to look for on the rewatch.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, the finale was the only episode that I didn't actually. like. The suit was silly, the kingpin running around New York at "top speed" was hilarious and I don't even enjoy fat jokes. And it was less triumphant and just massively goofy overall. I absolutely loved the series though, especially episode 11's ending. Just wish the finale held up to that standard.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Iron Fist costume is probably gonna be really drat great since it's pretty much going to be what Matt wore, except green with a symbol on it and eye-holes.

Also, as someone raised Catholic, I can say this about how they portrayed that part of him on the show: They nailed it. Now I think they just need to throw in something about him feeling bad about premarital sex to really knock it out of the park.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

The Iron Fist costume is probably gonna be really drat great since it's pretty much going to be what Matt wore, except green with a symbol on it and eye-holes.

Also, as someone raised Catholic, I can say this about how they portrayed that part of him on the show: They nailed it. Now I think they just need to throw in something about him feeling bad about premarital sex to really knock it out of the park.

What, he doesn't get a pass because he's blind? I figure that'd be the equivalent of closing your eyes, so then it wouldn't count.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

XboxPants posted:

general costume You know, I did start noticing eventually that he was wearing something more like underarmor, but I thought I was just picking up on a detail I missed before. But I bet you're right; his old poo poo was constantly getting sliced up, so he would have thrown away his first shirts. That'll be something to look for on the rewatch.

General Costume I'm pretty sure his costume change goes , regular black shirt - Black Shirt with Red stripes along the arms then Daredevil costume.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 13, 2015

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

etalian posted:

Yeah, the slower burn to his origin is what makes it good to me.

I think I like this version of Daredevil more than most versions of Batman, because of how nuanced his back story is. Batman's "origin" is so reductionist by comparison; the Waynes are Good People and Bad People killed them in this one highly symbolic act of violence. It's so much cleaner...Daredevil is dirty in its complexity.

[Edit: I thought we didn't need spoilers anymore?]

Matt Murdock's dad in particular is fascinating, because he's essentially a gently caress-up. He's a caring father and he wants to do right by his son, but he's not necessarily a "good person" and certainly doesn't make good decisions. It's more compelling to me than the Waynes, because it feels more honest about the social reality they're trying to depict: everything has context, and moral choice doesn't happen in a vacuum. Poverty, fear, and powerlessness dictate so much of people's decisions, and Jack's death is both a tragic thing done *to* him and a foolish thing he *chose* to do.

In general, Daredevil gives this nuance dramatic weight. The guy who tries to kill Karen in her jail cell is a "bad guy," but actually you first meet him as a victim who wants only to protect his daughter. Even Fisk, who's the main villain, is deeply sympathetic...his first act of "evil" is killing the man who abuses his mother, and his masculine violence is itself the result of being victimized by his father in the past.

The Catholic aspect to this reflects a lot of these ideas. The moral universe of the show is one where the world is flawed and all people are sinners. As the priest explains during various conversations, he believes Evil exists as a material, but that the ways people interact with it are seldom simple and almost never cut-and-dry. Basically, the challenge of being moral is recognizing Evil in the first place, and then having the strength and fortitude to resist it. Forgiveness is important because being moral is difficult in a world this lovely.

It's a way more complicated argument than even similar "dark and gritty" heroic narratives tend to have.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 13, 2015

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Quote != Edit. Sorry folks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also really loved how the whole show tended to stick with practical effects/sets, old fashioned stunt fights and also went through the trouble of doing on-location shooting in NYC even though other cities would have been cheaper(cough Vancouver/Toronto)

It added to the whole tone of the series in terms of setting it apart from CGI spectacles like The Avengers.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Remember starting tonight at 3am EST we no longer have to use spoiler tags. I'll be taking a vacation at that point as I'm only done through episode seven. But I'd like to ask everyone that has posted how well you like this policy for spoilers and would you like it to continue for other Netflix shows? I think pretty much everyone understood it and did exactly as it was laid out and in that case I'd call it a success but I'd like to hear feedback from you guys as well.

I liked it, I watched the first four episodes as soon as I could, and the rest the next day, so it was good reading the thread and knowing which bits were safe to read in discussions about the show.

Also I'm just getting to the point where I'm getting sick of clicking or mousing over everything to read it, so I'm glad spoiler time is about to end. Let's keep this rule for future I think.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Svaha posted:

The Punisher was fully intended to be an antagonist when he first appeared in the comics and it's really the only way he could work in a live action show,(witness all the terrible film treatments of him if you need evidence) But because we live in a world where people completely miss the satire in movies like starship troopers and there are gun fetishists who desire a hero of their own, he somehow became a hero himself instead of the satire of vigilantism taken to its logical extreme that he was meant to be.

The Punisher doesn't have to be portrayed as a one-hundred-percent-right hero and is frequently more interesting when he isn't. In Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX, he's only the hero because the villains are far worse, and the comic doesn't just use this as a winking justification for him butchering people, it's actually a serious thing that he's shown frequently wrestling with.

It would be interesting to see him as an antagonist in Daredevil, because he's what Matt doesn't want to become, but that doesn't necessitate making him unsympathetic or discounting him from the protagonist role in the future.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Just got through 1x07.

Was not expecting them to kill the Last Airbender. Sad. They're going to have to wait a while for him to reincarnate now. That's why General Zhao didn't kill him.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Codependent Poster posted:

As someone also raised Catholic, I agree. I do appreciate how the show wasn't preachy, but also wasn't dismissive of it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, yeah, also Catholic, they knocked it out of the drat park

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Just got through ep 10. That was one of the most excruciatingly boring missteps I've ever seen. At no second was I interested in Froggy's drama poo poo and desperately wished Matty would either slap him or laugh at him or just point out how loving pathetic he was being.

Only felt so bad though because of how loving amazing the show had been otherwise. I really wish they just decided they didn't need to step into that cliche.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
1x09-10 It would have been way better if Karen had learned and not Foggy. They didn't really do much with it anyways, so it should have been a character who already likes the Devil, avoid the "will they make up or not" wheel-spinning.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Episode 8 here.

Ben Zurich typing out the article against Wilson Fisk and then turning his head to see Fisk on tv preempting his exposé was way better TV than I expected.

Also:

Wilson Fisk switching to a grey suit is very basic color theory but an unexpectedly nice touch for a comic book TV series, and reflects that they've made The Kingpin into a sympathetic/tragic character by that point

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 13, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

1x09-10 It would have been way better if Karen had learned and not Foggy. They didn't really do much with it anyways, so it should have been a character who already likes the Devil, avoid the "will they make up or not" wheel-spinning.

Nah, once Foggy learned in the comics he got to crack wise about it all the time. Whereas Karen, she was dead weight for like, 20 years before she hooked up with Matt, then terrible poo poo happened to her. Also, her showing up to grill Fisk's mom was TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. If someone did that to my grandmother in her nursing home I would never stop punching that person.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dj_clawson posted:

Nah, once Foggy learned in the comics he got to crack wise about it all the time. Whereas Karen, she was dead weight for like, 20 years before she hooked up with Matt, then terrible poo poo happened to her. Also, her showing up to grill Fisk's mom was TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. If someone did that to my grandmother in her nursing home I would never stop punching that person.

very mild 1x13 spoiler

Yeah see if they'd done literally any of Foggy cracking wise about it I would have been okay with it, but he gets butthurt and then once he's un-butthurt it never comes up again.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

kater posted:

Just got through ep 10. That was one of the most excruciatingly boring missteps I've ever seen. At no second was I interested in Froggy's drama poo poo and desperately wished Matty would either slap him or laugh at him or just point out how loving pathetic he was being.

Only felt so bad though because of how loving amazing the show had been otherwise. I really wish they just decided they didn't need to step into that cliche.

I mean sure, there's a case to be made that the 1x10 Matt/Foggy will they/won't they drama was cliche and mediocre, but I thought it made a great opportunity to put Matt on trial and examine everything he was doing as a vigilante, ask some very direct and pointed questions about the morality and ethics of it, and give some direct answers, too. It was convenient.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

XboxPants posted:

I mean sure, there's a case to be made that the 1x10 Matt/Foggy will they/won't they drama was cliche and mediocre, but I thought it made a great opportunity to put Matt on trial and examine everything he was doing as a vigilante, ask some very direct and pointed questions about the morality and ethics of it, and give some direct answers, too. It was convenient.

same mild 1x13 spoiler as previous post

But it just went away after that. They didn't go anywhere with it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

How is it on this show EVERYONE looks more blind than Matt? Did the actor just refuse to wear the contacts or whatever? Because I heard the convincing ones do actually blind you when they're in, but it seems like a major part of the role.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Whoever played Foggy felt like a discount Jack Black

But, like, in a good way.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's weird, but after this, the only Netflix marvel show I have any real worries about is Luke Cage.

No reason to fear for Iron Fist at all, and while Jessica Jones is going to contain some stuff that could well be mishandled I have genuine hope that they'll be able to make it work without stepping too far over the line in either direction and loving it all up.

No, it's really only Luke Cage that I worry about. I mean, what themes or ideas are they going to be able to find to really drive it home and make it special?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

dj_clawson posted:

How is it on this show EVERYONE looks more blind than Matt? Did the actor just refuse to wear the contacts or whatever? Because I heard the convincing ones do actually blind you when they're in, but it seems like a major part of the role.

The few blind people I've met all had natural looking eyes that were pretty much indistinguishable from a person that wasn't blind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One thing I liked about 1x10 is that while foggy is interrogating Matt, Matt nods, catches, stops himself, and finishes the nod because foggy knows. And the people saying that wasn't handled realistically either don't have really good friends or aren't as morally flexible as I am.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I just wanted to heap some praise on the opening credits. I sat through all 13 title sequences because that poo poo was sweet, and the music was sweet too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deadpool posted:

The few blind people I've met all had natural looking eyes that were pretty much indistinguishable from a person that wasn't blind.

Same, but they make a point out of it when Claire checks PERL on Matt so when his eyes do react to light it stands out.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

qbert posted:

I just wanted to heap some praise on the opening credits. I sat through all 13 title sequences because that poo poo was sweet, and the music was sweet too.

So did I, but only because I was too lazy to fast forward through them all :v:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Yeah that's true but like ALL the other blind actors, of which there are a lot, are wearing heavy contacts. And they're doing a hell of a better job of acting blind, which is something Murdock would do if other people were around (depending on who was writing the comic and how interested they were in accuracy).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

They could easily give him contacts that make his pupils always appear the same size. But, as is, I never even noticed any variation, so to me it's not an issue.

Actually, would pupils that are totally unresponsive to light even stay a consistent size? Don't your pupils dilate in reaction to other things, like psychological stimuli?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, he wasn't being psycholigically stimulated when he was essentially blacked out while she was checking his eyes.

dj_clawson posted:

Yeah that's true but like ALL the other blind actors, of which there are a lot, are wearing heavy contacts. And they're doing a hell of a better job of acting blind, which is something Murdock would do if other people were around (depending on who was writing the comic and how interested they were in accuracy).

Do you not know what Daredevil's abilities are? He can't see, but he has a better situational awareness than you or I, who can see.

And the other people were most likely BLINDED in a very cheap way, whereas Murdock had super special non-scarring toxic ooze to give him superpowers.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

In a show with great action stuff, my favorite scenes had to be any conversation with the priest. I would have totally been on board with a series that was just Matt beating up some scumbags and then going to confession for the rest of the episode.

Also D'Onofrio was fantastic. It took me up to his first fight with Matt to really buy into the performance, but everything from his odd speech patterns and awkward movements to his savage brawling style came together to add up to a figure of sheer brutality. I think a few posts have touched on this, but I would like to have seen a little more insight into his ability to run a successful criminal empire before Matt threw a wrench into all of his plans. Everything in the series he does is reactionary, and while that did make for a fascinating performance, I think it would have been a better (or at least more complete) character study to see him cruising on the level for a little while before he totally raged out.

Also I really dug the Jimmy Cliff on the soundtrack. What a beautiful song.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We're a few minutes shy on 72 hours but I'm going to go ahead and call it.

No more spoiler tags!

Goodbye for a day or two thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Drifter posted:

Well, he wasn't being psycholigically stimulated when he was essentially blacked out while she was checking his eyes.

Do you not know what Daredevil's abilities are? He can't see, but he has a better situational awareness than you or I, who can see.

And the other people were most likely BLINDED in a very cheap way, whereas Murdock had super special non-scarring toxic ooze to give him superpowers.

Okay I kind of admit I liked Ben Affleck's derp face.