Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That actually makes a lot of sense. Acid does "cook" meat, a soft, spongy fish gets firm and flaky when you soak it in citric acid to make ceviche. More cooking time means firmer meat, higher temp (compared to room or fridge temp ceviche) means faster chemical reaction. I can't remember doing anything particularly acidic sous vide, perhaps it can be turned to a virtue instead of a vice somehow? I have been doing some sauerkraut lately with the age old fermentation method. Another way of making (a different kind of) kraut is boiling it with sugar and vinegar. Perhaps you could get some interesting results by sous vid'ing shredded cabbage with some vinegar for a day or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
gently caress, looks like my Anova (1st generation) is broke-dick.

Threw short ribs in at 170 last night, came down this morning to take 'em out. Pump's still running, but the screen says it's only reading 143, but it's still set at 170. Hrm. Well, okay, 143's still cooked, I'll put them in an ice bath and figure this out later. But then when I go to take them out, the water's room temperature.

Okay, so scratch one set of short ribs. I power-cycle the unit, and hit 'start.' The pump starts up, but the display says that the water temperature is 32 degrees, then it says SYSTEM ERROR and the pump shuts down.

Any ideas?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I'd say at this point contact support, but they'll likely tell you that it was probably damaged by moisture or something, and that it's better to purchase a new anova (I'm assuming the KS units aren't under warranty )

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It was out of warranty but they decided to replace it anyway, I just need to send them the old one back and they'll ship me a replacement.

So good job, Anova.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Phanatic posted:

It was out of warranty but they decided to replace it anyway, I just need to send them the old one back and they'll ship me a replacement.

So good job, Anova.

I think their support got much better. A few months ago my in warranty unit needed to be replaced and it took over a month for me to receive the unit. I sent them the broken one and they told me as soon as it was shipped I would be sent a new one.

After weeks and weeks went by and literally 20+ emails and 5+ voice mails to their Support with no response whatsoever, I finally got a call from someone at Anova who finally sent me a new unit.

It was a horrible experience but they finally came through in the end.

stirgeness
Apr 4, 2015

The Midniter posted:

I absolutely adore my Anova Precision Cooker, use it frequently, and have never had an issue with it.

My Anova gets used a couple times a week, we love it. Chicken breasts and pork chops are back on the menu in my house.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I bought a big-rear end flatiron steak I'd like to use for fajitas if nobody here has a better suggestion.

I'm just going to assume kenji's 10 h recipe is the best, but I wanted to ask for ideas, so here I am.

I guess I would have expected to cook this steak for longer, and I don't really understand why I should not. Keep it from flaking away, or is there something else?

I also don't understand why not to cook fresh herbs or garlic for long periods. Somebody set me straight please.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

stirgeness posted:

My Anova gets used a couple times a week, we love it. Chicken breasts and pork chops are back on the menu in my house.

What is your go to time and temp for pork chops? 140F chicken is like a weekly thing here and it's awesome. Hard to eat restaurant chicken any more.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

What is your go to time and temp for pork chops?

Last time I cooked them a couple of nights ago was 2 hours @ 150F and they came out nice and tender and seared well. I'm thinking of pushing it to 2:45 or 3 hours next time to see if the tenderness improves.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I run pork chops at 140F for 4hrs.

Gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/QenzD

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, 140F pork is dope

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm going to be doing some pork chops tonight and then saving them in the fridge. How long do people generally reheat for? 45 mins at 140 for a thick chop? I'd then sear.

Also, does having seasoning in the pouch affect how long they'd keep in the fridge? It would be great if I could get them to last 10 days after cooking, in terms of pre-cooking meals.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Phanatic posted:

So good job, Anova.

I've had a pretty good experience with Anova. Cracked the screen by moving it around on the stove and hit was pressed against the corner of a cabinet. Emailed them, they said send it back. I didn't send it back, got busy with moving and a new job. I emailed them and asked where to send it, they sent me a FedEx slip, and I dropped it off on a Sunday afternoon. I had a new one waiting for me at my door that Thursday, no charge.

stirgeness
Apr 4, 2015

Ultimate Mango posted:

What is your go to time and temp for pork chops? 140F chicken is like a weekly thing here and it's awesome. Hard to eat restaurant chicken any more.

144f for about an hour is my usual Pork Chop timing. Comes out so good every time. We do Seasoned Salt, Pepper, Adobo on them because we are too lazy to spice them up fancy, but everyone loves them. Sear in a cast iron really hot with a little bit of butter to brown up fast.

stirgeness
Apr 4, 2015

Juice Box Hero posted:

I bought a big-rear end flatiron steak I'd like to use for fajitas if nobody here has a better suggestion.

I'm just going to assume kenji's 10 h recipe is the best, but I wanted to ask for ideas, so here I am.

I guess I would have expected to cook this steak for longer, and I don't really understand why I should not. Keep it from flaking away, or is there something else?

I also don't understand why not to cook fresh herbs or garlic for long periods. Somebody set me straight please.

Hard to go wrong with Kenji.

If you cook meat for too long it actually gets mushy, it's hard to explain but don't do it.

Herbs or Garlic I'm not sure of, do it and let us know :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fresh herbs get hot spots on the meat during long cook times. So parts of the meat will taste overwhelmingly like garlic or rosemary or whatever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Juice Box Hero posted:

What's Kenji's 10 hour steak recipe?

Flat iron is a tender cut. There's no reason to vizzle it for more than an hour.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've got thick-cut pork chops in at 144F, let's say they're 2" thick. I'm fine if they go for 3 hrs, right? My wife is pork-paranoid, so I figured I'd appeal to the authority of random pseudonymous people on a comedy forum.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Subjunctive posted:

I've got thick-cut pork chops in at 144F, let's say they're 2" thick. I'm fine if they go for 3 hrs, right? My wife is pork-paranoid, so I figured I'd appeal to the authority of random pseudonymous people on a comedy forum.

2" pork chop starting from 41 degrees in a 144 degree bath will be pasteurized in 2 hours 13 minutes.

There are a number of apps that will crunch these numbers for you (I use SousVideDash).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Choadmaster posted:

There are a number of apps that will crunch these numbers for you (I use SousVideDash).

Is there an Android analog, or one that just runs in a web browser?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hmm, not that I know of. I even tried a few minutes of Google research. That's surprising and unfortunate.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You could write one and make tens of dollars!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

You could write one and make tens of dollars!

Watch this ad to calculate the pasteurization time of your meat!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Choadmaster posted:

2" pork chop starting from 41 degrees in a 144 degree bath will be pasteurized in 2 hours 13 minutes.

Thank you!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

No Wave posted:

What's Kenji's 10 hour steak recipe?

Flat iron is a tender cut. There's no reason to vizzle it for more than an hour.

I'm having trouble finding it again. He sure has done a shitload of sous vide steak blog posts. One of them had a table with a bunch of different cuts, and it said to do a flatiron between 4-10 h at 131 F, I believe. I figure the high end of the time range is usually better, because patience is a virtue or something.

Casu Marzu posted:

Fresh herbs get hot spots on the meat during long cook times. So parts of the meat will taste overwhelmingly like garlic or rosemary or whatever.

Oh alright, that makes sense. Someone on a previous page of this thread told someone of cooking some fresh herb with their meat that they "should be fine at 155 for 48 hours" and it was in among botulism-chat, so I thought maybe greens had germs with a different pasteurization curve or something.

Also, I tried doing salmon, and I give that a mild yuck. I think I prefer the varied texture/doneness that comes with other heating methods. This is the wrong thread for it, but Cooks Illustrated did a recipe for fish delicately braised on shredded leeks and wine. It looks good. I can't wait to try it.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
What meats do well in the 13-ish hour range?

I leave for work at 6AM and get home at 7PM and it would be awesome to have dinner ready a few minutes after I get home.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Pell posted:

What meats do well in the 13-ish hour range?

I leave for work at 6AM and get home at 7PM and it would be awesome to have dinner ready a few minutes after I get home.

Any of the meats that are good in the 12 hour range, plus another hour. :v:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
^ I would be interested to hear some answers to that as well.

I tried the magical 144 degree poached eggs tonight. Wow, they were really delicate. The paper towel I used for draining them ripped most of them open when I was trying to plate. I guess you're supposed to serve them wet. Or I didn't finish them long enough.

I've never had a problem preparing normal poached eggs, and since you have to use all the same equipment and it takes a lot longer to do the sous vide version, I think I'll stick to the old school way. The sous vide ones that survive the process are pretty and all, but not close to worth the extra 45 mins IMO.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Juice Box Hero posted:

I tried the magical 144 degree poached eggs tonight. Wow, they were really delicate. The paper towel I used for draining them ripped most of them open when I was trying to plate. I guess you're supposed to serve them wet. Or I didn't finish them long enough.

I've never had a problem preparing normal poached eggs, and since you have to use all the same equipment and it takes a lot longer to do the sous vide version, I think I'll stick to the old school way. The sous vide ones that survive the process are pretty and all, but not close to worth the extra 45 mins IMO.

Did you crack them open and dunk them in a vortex of boiling water for a minute to firm up the white after puddling?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ShadowCatboy posted:

Did you crack them open and dunk them in a vortex of boiling water for a minute to firm up the white after puddling?

I have a problem even getting them out of the shell after puddling.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ShadowCatboy posted:

The vortex thing is sort of BS in my opinion, but yes I did finish them each for approx one minute in sub-simmering water. The outsides solidified a bit but the whites still tore extremely easily, even after an ice bath. . Maybe I should have done them a little longer.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Doing a short rib texture experiment - two baths (144 and 160 degrees F) and I'll do a taste test at 24 and 48 hours. (I've tried 48 and 72 hours at 133 and I just don't like the texture.)

I seasoned them with a little pepper/garlic powder/onion powder/mustard powder before putting them in the bags. What do you guys use for sauces? Reducing the bag juice is always a disaster for me.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

I have a couple whole ducks I was going to break down and do something like this:

http://www.foodiemoment.com/2010/01/24/sous-vide-duck/

However, the temp seems like it is way way way too high. But there is a comment on that page confirming the temp for rendering the fat so help me puddlers.

I'm thinking salt overnight in fridge, then 5-6 hrs at XXX F. Then use juices for a roux.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 13, 2015

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

If you're going to break them down anyway, you can do the different sections at different temps. I love duck breasts done at like 135-ish for two hours or so then seared in a hot pan to crisp them up, but you'd want to go higher for the legs and such.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yes duck breast should be served medium rare while duck legs should be cooked confit. 150*f for two days for the latter. I just did another duck four ways so I'll be posting the results soon.

EDIT: Welp here it is, boys and girls. My Duck Four Ways, version 2.0.

Amuse Bouche in Two Parts: I wanted to showcase duck in two starkly different and contrasting ways. First I took the duck oysters, seasoned them with salt and pepper and five spice powder. Then I roasted them and fried them so the skins were nice and crispy.

What's this now? Beer? Delicious mead? Heck no, I boiled down the carcass with some Chinese spices and made a duck consomme. Clear as glass, boys. I also included an image with a Jamba Juice cup behind it so I could show off how clear it is.

So there you have it. An amuse bouche that shows off two essential components of duck in isolation: The rich, meaty substantive duck oyster with its crispy skin dripping with fat, against the pure almost ethereal essence of duck distilled into a fine hot liquid.

First Course: Sous vide seared duck breast in a port-wine reduction served with thai basil. Puddled to 130*F for two hours, it's a shade on the rare side of medium rare. I took the resulting bag juices and added it to some reducing burgundy and port, and paired it with some thai basil to act as a foil against the rich duck meat. It's rich and savory from the meat, full-bodied from the red wine and the fat, sweet from the port, with a crisp finish from the basil. Mmmm.

Second Course: Duck confit a l'orange. This is version 3.0 of my duck confit a l'orange, and it's almost perfect. I deboned the duck legs, cured them in my own custom spice mix of juniper berries, black pepper, star anise, and thyme for 3 days, then sewed up the legs in their own skins into roulades. Cooked sous vide, 150*F for 2 days, then chilled, seared, chilled again, sliced into medallions, and paired with a sharp zesty orange sauce. I REALLY need to work on my plating because it looks so monochrome and hideous (pair it with some salad or microgreens most likely), but it tasted pretty fine.

If I had more time I'd add a main course and then a dessert of duck egg creme brulee, but that'll have to wait for another day. If you guys could please give me any advice on plating I'd really really appreciate it. It'd be nice to have plates that look like they're done by pros. The duck confit especially needs something green to counteract all that brown and orange.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 13, 2015

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Juice Box Hero posted:

The real benefit as far as poached eggs and sous vide is concerned is volume and consistency, I think. If you're making 3 and you're fairly solid at poaching eggs, then why set up the circulator? But if I were making eggs benny for even 6 people I'd rather focus on getting the other parts just right than faffing around with poaching.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Can you explain your curing process.

Also :goddamn: that looks amazing.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

c0ldfuse posted:

Can you explain your curing process.

Also :goddamn: that looks amazing.

I highly recommend a digital scale if you don't have one, with a resolution down to 0.1 g or less. Though when you're measuring only 1-2 grams it's not very accurate.

Debone the duck legs and weigh them. Generally deboned duck legs weigh in the range of 190-200 grams. I wanted to do my duck confit a l'orange in a large batch so I deboned 8 duck legs with a total weight of 1590 grams.

Weigh out your salt. Generally you want a 1.5-2% mixture in comparison to the weight. So a 2% mix of salt cure for 1590 grams of duck leg is 31.8 grams of salt. Choose your spices and plop them in a spice grinder. Add the salt, blend until everything is a fine powder.

Spread the cure evenly along all the legs and rub into all the nooks and crannies of the meat. Leave for 1-2 days. I had to do 3 days because I was too busy at work. Vizzle for 36-48 hours at 150*C. The bag juices get pretty drat funky so I wouldn't use them for anything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Everyone who does 45 minute eggs should give this a go if they haven't since its so much faster

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/75-c-egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't find those are as easy to prep the next day as you need to SV them up to heat instead of just boiling off some water. Quite good same day though.