Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

And also Crane Mother is from Ku'n-Zi, not K'un-L'un.

Stick's good ninja clan doesn't have any connection to the hidden cities right? At the end of 07 where "Stone" was talking about Matt being ready when the doors open, those were the only doors I could think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

I just want to see the "But me...I'm magic" scene in live action.

One thing I liked about the series is that they took fresh looks at standard comic book themes. Many pages back someone remarked that the "we're not so different you and I" speech Kingpin gave Matt over the radio was super cliched, and he was right. But how the show elevated itself was by actually making that true. Both men were heavily shaped by their fathers, who they lost at an early age. They both grew up orphans, they both love Hell's Kitchen and NYC. You do get the sense that the main difference is that Fisk doesn't have lines he won't cross, while Matt does. It also goes into the "Why doesn't Batman just kill Joker" question of principles vs. expediency. Rather than just make it a "if we kill him then we're no different from them" thing, they explore why it's bad for a hero to do what is expedient over what is right. I was a big fan of the priest character and I really liked his polluted-fountain metaphor. I though the show did a better job of explaining why heroes have a no-kill rule than I've seen, certainly in live action.

I also like that they didn't make it a no kill policy, but rather a no murder policy. Yeah, don't try and kill anyone, but if a ninja is just totally kicking your rear end and slicing you up like a side of meat nobody's going to hold it against you if you set him on fire.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I think it explored the aspect of heroism beyond what other films have and actually brought a strong moral center to the show. Cause you can definitively say why Daredevil doesn't just go and kill Fisk.

They actually stated it was the intent that mattered. Also, Ninja dude could have saved himself possibly.

It's shown that Daredevil jumps out the window into the water to get away, Ninja dude literally get's his legs set on fire then goes after Daredevil again instead of jumping out the loving window into the water.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I really liked the actor that played James Wesley, I was really sad to see him go. He was like the most competent henchman ever. Well right up to putting a loaded gun on the table.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Burton is the Henchman of the Year, every year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Stick's good ninja clan doesn't have any connection to the hidden cities right? At the end of 07 where "Stone" was talking about Matt being ready when the doors open, those were the only doors I could think of.

Right, The Chaste and The Hand are their own separate thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Right, The Chaste and The Hand are their own separate thing.

Wait, so the Hand has a connection to the hidden cities?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Uh,, they're Japanese. :rolleyes:

But seriously, they could have, at least in the MCU.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

No, they are their own, separated thing.

edit: Ha, I didn't even notice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

No, I meant Stick's group The Chaste are enemies of The Hand. That stuff is all separate from the Iron Fist hidden cities stuff.

The hidden cities aren't a Daredevil thing at all, so I wouldn't expect them to come back in any future Daredevil stuff. That has to be setup for Iron Fist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

No, I meant Stick's group The Chaste are enemies of The Hand. That stuff is all separate from the Iron Fist hidden cities stuff.

The hidden cities aren't a Daredevil thing at all, so I wouldn't expect them to come back in any future Daredevil stuff. That has to be setup for Iron Fist.

I can see that as set up for Iron Fist, but the war they talk about is defenders.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tsob posted:

While the scene in 1x03 where the hitman commits suicide by railing spike was kind of fun I was left a little disappointed afterwards that he had spilled the beans and wouldn't rather die than talk like he intimated that Fisk's people aspire to. Having someone say that but no-one actually follow through on it undercuts it, no matter how gory you make the guy's suicide. A suicide that didn't really even serve much of a purpose, because if he thinks Fisk is super clever and going to know he was the one who talked regardless then killing himself isn't going to save anyone he knows, and now there's no one to warn or protect them. On the other hand if he'd left he'd have either been able to start trying to save his folks or just waited to see if anything would come of it.

It's just a scene to be shocking for the sake of shocking really, which robs it of impact. I had much the same problem with all the examples of Fisk buying people off though personally. There were just too many of them, to the point it got kind of stupid and started to make things silly rather than tense or dramatic.

That's assuming that Fisk would know it was a suicide. The way the guy killed himself made it look like a murder.. Sorry I'm late to the game and only on ep 4.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
First look at David Tennant as the Purple Man from Jessica Jones filming:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/04/first-look-at-david-tennant-as-the-purple-man-in-marvels-a-k-a-jessica-jones.html

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiggerBoat posted:

That's assuming that Fisk would know it was a suicide. The way the guy killed himself made it look like a murder.. Sorry I'm late to the game and only on ep 4.

Yeah, he made it look like murder and the only person who heard him say Wilson Fisk was the Devil of Hell's Kitchen. So he saved everyone he ever cared about from horrible death.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, I thought that was the point of him offing himself like that.

Whatever reason this link doesn't work for me.

Although I realllllly hope they don't go the date rapist route for Purple man.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Man this series was incredible. Already on round 2.

I've seen some people bring up Punisher within the context of the Netflix series. My hope is that, rather than his own series, they just introduce him as some crazy motherfucker running around killing people, in a somewhat adversarial role to the Defenders. Just some rear end in a top hat who pops up once in a while and kills Iron Fist's vibe or whatever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah actually there's a actual Marvel Knights mini-series that is just that. Daredevil and uh some other guys hunting down The Punisher.

The Punisher would be a excellent antagonist and would be really interesting to see some different interaction between Fisk and Daredevil. The Punisher going after The Kingpin and Daredevil trying to stop Fisk from being killed would be pretty drat good.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ChickenMedium posted:

I hope someday superhero show/movie writers will realize that finding out that your best friend has a secret life as a superpowered superhero is a completely awesome thing to happen and no one should get lovely about it.

That kind of happened with the Green Lantern movie

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Heathen posted:

Why would you not respect an old lady who brought you tons of money? Furthermore if Kingpin meant anything to her why would she, Nobu and Leland talk about him behind his back? They were all using each other for their connections.

The last conversation Gao had with Leland he asked her to ship in more heroin. She declined as she only dealt with heroin because it was convenient for her. Since it was no longer convenient she was going home.

Gao never really spoke badly of him behind his back though. Even when scheming behind his back with Leland, her motive was to get him to rededicate himself to his goals in much the same way Stick was pushing Matt when he appeared and she never spoke about him in any kind of derisive or mocking tone that I can recall. While she did leave once the heroin was gone because that was just a convenience to her, she also left just as Vanessa was recovering and Fisk's plans were spiraling further and further out of control, which may be entirely coincidental but may also indicate why she was ready to cut and leave so easily at that point in time since she no longer had any faith Fisk would recover because there must have been something that she was actually there to do in Hell's Kitchen beyond the heroin at the end of the day.

zoux posted:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But seriously, they could have, at least in the MCU.

Yea, I suspect that the Hand and the Chaste may be replacing two of the Hidden Cities/champions from the Immortal Iron Fist comic, or simply adding on to the number so there's 10 of them instead of 8. Doing so gives more purpose to them and ties them in to something similar very organically where it's kind of odd in the comics that the Hand/Chaste exist entirely outside of those elements (to my knowledge at least) and also ties the Iron Fist/Daredevil characters and stories together really neatly.

e X posted:

Honestly, I thought Foggy's anger was competently understandable, because, unlike other shows, they actually explained why he had such a problem with Matt being a vigilant.

Yea, with the way things were set up Foggy was left trying to reconcile two very different images of his friend in his head and it would come off very odd if he's just gone "Oh, you're that dude I thought was a terrorist...neat!" Him questioning it also felt a lot more thematically appropriate given what the series does regarding guilt. I also just thought it was cool that the show was willing to have an entire episode where Matt and Foggy are arguing in his apartment while Matt recovers, since it showed faith in the characters to stand on their own to me. The fact the flashbacks were so fun helped too.

Hollismason posted:

It's shown that Daredevil jumps out the window into the water to get away, Ninja dude literally get's his legs set on fire then goes after Daredevil again instead of jumping out the loving window into the water.

Can I just say that I absolutely loved that when Nobu was set on fire his first response was "gently caress it, Im'ma get you bitch" and to just run at Matt and keep attacking despite it? Was silly as gently caress, but cool regardless.

BiggerBoat posted:

That's true, hadn't considered that. Still, I find it rather underwhelming and a bad case of "tell, not show" where it'd have worked better if he killed himself instead of giving up the name and Matt had to find it out from someone else next episode or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

quote:

That's true, hadn't considered that. Still, I find it rather underwhelming and a bad case of "tell, not show" where it'd have worked better if he killed himself instead of giving up the name and Matt had to find it out from someone else next episode or something.

Then you would have had the exact same problem. At that point no one knew who Fisk was and the only people where the ones who were scared of him. You just wanted Daredevil to do what he did in that episode to another guy and have him do the same thing?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bobkatt013 posted:

Then you would have had the exact same problem. At that point no one knew who Fisk was and the only people where the ones who were scared of him. You just wanted Daredevil to do what he did in that episode to another guy and have him do the same thing?

No, I wanted someone to actually follow through on the idea of "we'd rather die than say his name", instead of having someone say that but then say his name basically as soon as he was hurt. Yes, it'd have been someone doing the same thing an episode or two later, but at least you'd have had some idea that those goons meant it when they said they'd rather die than do so, instead of just paying lip service to the idea.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rachael Taylor as Hellcat? That's new. Will she be replacing Spider-Woman?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Is it me or did they mention 53rd and 10th as the location for multiple things, going back through and I swear I've seen them say this more than once for more than one location.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

tsob posted:

No, I wanted someone to actually follow through on the idea of "we'd rather die than say his name", instead of having someone say that but then say his name basically as soon as he was hurt. Yes, it'd have been someone doing the same thing an episode or two later, but at least you'd have had some idea that those goons meant it when they said they'd rather die than do so, instead of just paying lip service to the idea.

I know we wanted more episodes, but that would have just added padding as that would have slowed down the stuff with Foggy, Ben, and Karen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Heathen posted:

Rachael Taylor as Hellcat? That's new. Will she be replacing Spider-Woman?

That's the supposition (but replacing Carol).

I don't know how they are going to do Jessica Jones. A big part of her story is that she was this background B-level superhero and it was that place in a well established, lived in Marvel universe was pretty important to the story. Jewel's powerset would make her a legit A-lister in the MCU and it would be weird to try and play this "well she's always been here but you've never heard of her" idea. I imagine they are going to way power her down but how do you play with the past as a superhero when there are so few superpowers in the current MCU.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

bobkatt013 posted:

I know we wanted more episodes, but that would have just added padding as that would have slowed down the stuff with Foggy, Ben, and Karen.

Agreed. I thought they handled it fine. I think the mook opted to off himself the way he did so it'd look he was murdered. DD was pretty loving threatening at that point and I'm sure word was getting around about the guy in the mask who pokes into you eyeball sockets and drops fire extinguishers on you and poo poo so he was plenty afraid and really had no way out. In his mind, if DD didn't kill him, Fisk would. Another torture scene would have been padding for sure, especially since Matt's brutality had already been well established by that point.

I like the sort of soft, detached coldness they're using to portray Fisk so far but I wish he was bigger and more physically imposing like MCD was. He doesn't look like he can kick rear end to me but I still like the way D'Onofrio is playing him. He sort of comes off as pathetic, lonely and sad instead of powerful, intimidating and scary. Someone else posted that he seems almost sympathetic and I sort of agree (so far. 4.5 episodes in).

Power Man/Iron Fist should be pretty good if they follow this model/style. I like the down to earth, gritty, ghetto feel as opposed to the space aliens, magic hammer, infinity gem/cosmic cube stuff that Avengers is doing. But drat do I still ever wish that Tarantino would do a Heroes for Hire movie. Blaxploitation meets Kung Fu would be perfect for him.

edit: also, Punisher would work just fine in this series if they went with the way Miller used him; fighting the same war but in different ways and in a manner that makes him Matt's enemy. I could easily see Bullseye and Elektra working just as well so long as they keep them grounded and keep them grounded within the established framework.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 13, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Anyone who doesn't get the Fisk portrayal in this series is ignoring the opening episode where we see him looking into the mirror, and what's reflected is the 12 year-old boy covered in blood. That's how Fisk sees himself all the time, at least until the very last episode when he accepts what he really is and turns into the Kingpin.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

zoux posted:

I just want to see the "But me...I'm magic" scene in live action.

Well you're in luck because they did that scene almost word for word in the movie.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Well you're in luck because they did that scene almost word for word in the movie.

He just forgot to add "done well" in front of live action.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dogeatdog posted:

He just forgot to add "done well" in front of live action.

The director's cut of that movie is fine as long as you can get past the terribly choreographed fight scenes :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Never seen it never will.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Before the series I'd have said the director's cut was worth giving a view, but at this point...yeah, you're probably fine. Colin Farrell is amazing in it though, as he's just chewing so much scenery that I'm surprised he didn't break his god drat teeth.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

zoux posted:

That's the supposition (but replacing Carol).

I don't know how they are going to do Jessica Jones. A big part of her story is that she was this background B-level superhero and it was that place in a well established, lived in Marvel universe was pretty important to the story. Jewel's powerset would make her a legit A-lister in the MCU and it would be weird to try and play this "well she's always been here but you've never heard of her" idea. I imagine they are going to way power her down but how do you play with the past as a superhero when there are so few superpowers in the current MCU.

Probably just show her going out and getting messed up but not in a big event, public view way. Potential spoilers for that Jessica Jones series I guess, it's what happens in the comics , I can't imagine they'll go as dark for the tv show with the purple man stuff, like he'll probably be a scary mass murderer but they probably (hopefully?) won't do the mind control rape stuff.

If they want to show her as active but then inactive for a period like the comic then they could have her be going out and fighting crime but keeping it quiet until the New York attack at which point she tries to help but gets hit by a laser blast or falling building and put into a coma. Then show begins with her waking up and ptsd stuff.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Hollismason posted:

Is it me or did they mention 53rd and 10th as the location for multiple things, going back through and I swear I've seen them say this more than once for more than one location.

This is what 53rd and 10th looks like:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...f749e67!6m1!1e1

Did Jack Kirby live in Hell's Kitchen when he wrote this character? Because every time they said something like "I have to protect my city - Hell's Kitchen!" my roommate and I about died laughing. It's like ten blocks! Aim low, Fisk. Aim low.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

Did Jack Kirby live in Hell's Kitchen when he wrote this character? Because every time they said something like "I have to protect my city - Hell's Kitchen!" my roommate and I about died laughing. It's like ten blocks! Aim low, Fisk. Aim low.

Yeah , I thought Hell's Kitchen was rather small as well. Anyway I think they mention ..and 10th so much.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

You mean Stan Lee. Jack Kirby had little to do with Daredevil, besides some behind the scenes stuff. He may have helped to design the outfit and did some layouts but that is it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah , I thought Hell's Kitchen was rather small as well. Anyway I think they mention ..and 10th so much.

To be fair if you sold a single block of buildings there today you would have enough money to buy an island.

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean Stan Lee. Jack Kirby had little to do with Daredevil, besides some behind the scenes stuff. He may have helped to design the outfit and did some layouts but that is it.

Was the off-screen character named "Lee" a reference to him?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

Was the off-screen character named "Lee" a reference to him?

No more likely a younger Owl. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owl_(Marvel_Comics)_

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I thought it was funny that the first we heard of his son was right before he got tossed down an elevator shaft. Like "Don't worry we're not taking the Owl off the table".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

zoux posted:

Yeah I thought it was funny that the first we heard of his son was right before he got tossed down an elevator shaft. Like "Don't worry we're not taking the Owl off the table".

They mention him two or three times before that, actually.