Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ShadowCatboy posted:

Spread the cure evenly along all the legs and rub into all the nooks and crannies of the meat. Leave for 1-2 days. I had to do 3 days because I was too busy at work. Vizzle for 36-48 hours at 150*C. The bag juices get pretty drat funky so I wouldn't use them for anything.

Do you seal before it sits in the fridge for a few days, or just leave them on a plate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm really annoyed at "chefsteps". all their teaser recipes are overly complicated bullshit trying to modernize cooking 101.

like, why the gently caress would you sousvide an egg at a temperature where time mattered (and which couldn't easily be reheated?) why not just poach an egg at that point, or why not poach off a perfect 62.5 deg egg like the rest of sane people, if you're set on sousvide?

they posted an idiotic 'easiest garlic confit!!!' recipe a couple weeks ago that made me unsubscribe from their e-mails. I literally don't know what is easier than garlic confit - get some aluminum foil, stick a head of garlic in, add a dash of olive oil and salt, seal it up and roast in an oven for 30-45 minutes. I do it literally in 10 seconds as an afterthought any time I'm roasting a chicken or something.

their recipe - "so easy!! done in 45 seconds!!" was to take a head of garlic, cut off the top, season it, get a perfectly sized microwave safe bowl, place it cut side down in the bowl, add oil, and then microwave, for 45........................................................... MINUTES.

what the gently caress

so naturally the comment thread was full of people going 'uhhh I thought you said it would be done in 45 seconds, is minutes actually right???' or 'I microwaved garlic for 45 minutes and now I have burnt ashes and my kitchen smells like poo poo. or "I microwaved for 45 seconds like the recipe says and all I have is raw garlic??"

lol apparently they wanted you to microwave on low for 45 minutes but A. my microwave won't even do that, B. how the gently caress is that easier than just sticking an aluminum foil pouch in the oven, C. gently caress you for saying 'done in 45 seconds'. D. who the gently caress microwaves anything at all for 45 minutes???

gently caress "chefsteps." more like "cookingnub steps to try and impress the girlfriend you'll never get because you're a pathetic gently caress who buys immersion circulators and cooks recipies out of the french laundry cookbook instead of actually learning some basic technique."

ok I'm done sorry

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mindphlux posted:

D. who the gently caress microwaves anything at all for 45 minutes???

How else are you supposed to cook a prime rib roast?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Jose posted:

Everyone who does 45 minute eggs should give this a go if they haven't since its so much faster

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/75-c-egg

These are exactly what I've been doing and they're universally great.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

To be fair to the eggs, any SV egg has time as a variable. Yolks will keep on changing after whatever temp they start to change given time.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/easiest-ever-roasted-garlic lololol

quote:

Dear ChefSteps community:

We have made the decision to remove the Easiest-Ever Roasted Garlic video from this site.

At ChefSteps, our number one priority is to always provide you with the best techniques and recipes that will safely lead you to culinary success. While we did fully test it in our development kitchen, we now realize that this particular technique—confiting garlic in the microwave—is not always replicable at home.

As many of you know, microwaves are complicated contraptions. (In fact, we are currently working on new content to help demystify how they work; look for that in the next few months.) Because they can behave very differently from machine to machine, we can’t guarantee that you’ll be able to get great results following this method. So it seems best to take it down.

But listen, roasted garlic is a wonderful thing—especially mixed with some olive oil, parsley, and red pepper flakes and served, with ricotta cheese, over crusty crostini.

We encourage you to try this amazing snack using garlic roasted in an oven. And we’d like to offer a heartfelt apology to all of you who tried the technique without success.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Do you seal before it sits in the fridge for a few days, or just leave them on a plate?

I just stick them in a plastic bag in the fridge.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So speaking of chef steps, I made the salmon mi cuit yesterday and ate it today.

I've never had it before, but it tasted kinda like sushi I guess? It tasted so much like it that I put a bit of soy sauce on it and had it with rice.

Any other way you guys can think to eat it? I have half of it left for tomorrow because it says you can chill and keep it for 10 days.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wookums posted:

To be fair to the eggs, any SV egg has time as a variable. Yolks will keep on changing after whatever temp they start to change given time.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/easiest-ever-roasted-garlic lololol

that's actually pretty hilarious, hadn't seen that. maybe my seething disgust somehow leaked through the internets into their corporate office.

still though, it was a loving embarrassing recipe, but at least they know how to admit a mistake. still not resubscribing to their poo poo though...

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

mindphlux posted:

at least they know how to admit a mistake.

I don't know, they lost me at

a bad cooking website posted:

microwaves are complicated contraptions. (In fact, we are currently working on new content to help demystify how they work;

Seems like they're calling their readers idiots and they removed the recipe because they didn't want to be liable for a house fire.

I'd never heard of this site before a couple weeks ago but I'd already started avoiding it because half their poo poo doesn't make any sense, and all of it is tucked behind awful interstitial ads for their mailing list.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Some of their stuff is quite good. And I think the problem with the garlic thing was that (and I might totally misunderstand how microwaves work) their recipe was intended for a microwave where 80% power means 80% power, all of the time, instead of the way most consumer microwaves work which is 100% power, 80% of the time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dane posted:

Some of their stuff is quite good. And I think the problem with the garlic thing was that (and I might totally misunderstand how microwaves work) their recipe was intended for a microwave where 80% power means 80% power, all of the time, instead of the way most consumer microwaves work which is 100% power, 80% of the time.
That's only available with Panasonic microwaves iirc which would make the recipe even dumber.

I think the website just throws poo poo and sees what sticks. On the 75c egg, someone asked about how it could be a viable method for service as the reheat time is longer than the loving cooking time. The ChefStep reply was,

"There is quite a bit of discussion about this in the forum. One reason to do the precook is if you have a limited number of baths. You precook things to different degrees of doneness (rare, medium-rare, medium, well) and then reheat them all at the rare temperature. They'll have the right texture and appearance this way."

Which is not relevant at all for an egg since the reheat temp they provide is 145 °F / 63 °C which just so happens to cook a loving yolk.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 14, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Mr. Wookums posted:

That's only available with Panasonic microwaves iirc which would make the recipe even dumber.

I loving love my Panasonic microwave.

I tend to stay away from any kind of cooking blog thing that isn't seriouseats or actual chefs. People don't know a goddamn thing about cooking, and always make things needlessly complicated.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Mr. Wookums posted:

Which is not relevant at all for an egg since the reheat temp they provide is 145 °F / 63 °C which just so happens to cook a loving yolk.

63°C doesn't cook it, 64°C starts setting it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My B, I was thinking about the serous eats SV egg article which states: "145°F for 45 minutes will have a barely set white and a completely liquid yolk. Take that up to 2 hours and the whites will still be just about the same, but the yolk will have thickened to the point where it holds its shape as well as, say, a washed up jelly-fish."

I need to get the science of cooking :downs:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I was amazed how good a normally generic/boring skinless chicken breast was at 90 minutes @ 140F with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.

edit: whoops

nuru fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 14, 2015

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I take it you mean 140F?
I just got an Anova and got some very good pork chops last night with 2hrs at 135F.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

snyprmag posted:

I take it you mean 140F?
I just got an Anova and got some very good pork chops last night with 2hrs at 135F.

You mean the Anova can't turn two gallons of water into superheated steam? Weak.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
So at a whim I decided to shove an entire pack of vacuum packed salmon (sans any added flavor) into my vizzler at mi-cuit temp (40°C) for ~45 minutes.*

Made some Nuoc Mam Gung as a flavoring sauce for it and daaaaaaaamn, best thing ever.

* Because as the kids now a days say: #YOLO

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I use my gas burner to heat the water

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Nomiku just posted a 4/20 sous vide recipe: http://www.eattender.com/recipes/cannabis-infused-butter Probably more apropos to TCC, but it's notable, so I note it here.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Got a pound of Chilean sea bass (AKA toothfish) to celebrate my wife landing her dream job tonight and it turned out fantastic! Ran it at 132 for an hour (I got two half-pound chunks that were super thick) with just some salt, pepper, and olive oil. Opted against searing it and instead served it with some roasted asparagus and a simple lemon compound butter. I'd only had that fish once before and it was grilled, but holy moly the texture after a sous vide bath was unbelievable. It was subtly sweet and had a texture a bit like a firmer lump crab meat.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Schpyder posted:

These are exactly what I've been doing and they're universally great.

I am going to have to try this, I have been doing eggs at 65C for a few hours the night before and then chilling and reheating in the morning so it is quick. I could get up early enough to do 13 min. sous vide eggs in the morning though.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

This is how I feel about 6 hr rare steaks in my Codlo crock pot rig.

:nws: http://imgur.com/z1Koqad :nws:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Pile of Kittens posted:

This is how I feel about 6 hr rare steaks in my Codlo crock pot rig.

:nws: http://imgur.com/z1Koqad :nws:

Going to need a source for this GIF if possible, because that's amazing.

I've had a whole rabbit in my deep freeze for a few months and am trying to come up with the best way to deal with it. I haven't had rabbit before, so I'd like to make it a really good introduction to the meat. Thoughts on SV rabbit? Whole? Segmented? Seasonings? Toss that plan out and roast it like a more traditional version?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Has anyone used sous vide/pasteurization ahead of a camping trip?

I'm thinking for a memorial day weekend trip of picking up a few large packages of cheap charcoal steaks, for 48@135 to hit med. rare, tender, and pasteurized.

Possibly some chicken thighs in bbq sauce or other flavors.

Tossing them in a cooler and grilling as desired over the weekend.

Any reason this is a bad plan?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

G-Prime posted:

Going to need a source for this GIF if possible, because that's amazing.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549295

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

toplitzin posted:

Any reason this is a bad plan?

You will be camping and I would recommend spending more time taking in the surroundings and enjoying the act of cooking over an open fire instead of trying to achieve meat perfection.

As a side note to everyone else I'd recommend mixing up your techniques from time to time for variety and to maintain your skill and knowledge in a kitchen. Circulation cooking can be a great tool; continue to utilize it as such rather than a crutch and you will be able to continue to make amazing meals when your $200 kitchen gadget isn't an option.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

You will be camping and I would recommend spending more time taking in the surroundings and enjoying the act of cooking over an open fire instead of trying to achieve meat perfection.

As a side note to everyone else I'd recommend mixing up your techniques from time to time for variety and to maintain your skill and knowledge in a kitchen. Circulation cooking can be a great tool; continue to utilize it as such rather than a crutch and you will be able to continue to make amazing meals when your $200 kitchen gadget isn't an option.

I was thinking of less meat perfection more sear and serve without the worry of what the cut is/how drunk i am/how it should be prepared.

AKA: oh man this looks good, it must be ready. (and it safely would be) *drunken steak eating begins*

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

toplitzin posted:

I was thinking of less meat perfection more sear and serve without the worry of what the cut is/how drunk i am/how it should be prepared.

AKA: oh man this looks good, it must be ready. (and it safely would be) *drunken steak eating begins*

It sounds likes a great idea to me. You are pasteurizing the meat before it goes in the cooler, so it is safer than just putting steaks from the store in a cooler. Cooking is going to be super easy and quick. What's not to like?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
in that case good luck getting core temp up during those two minutes of sear

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

This is why Hulk Hogan invented meat shoes, to warm up your meat before searing.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

If it's pasteurized, is there a great deal of concern about the core temperature being so low? It won't be in the danger zone for very long (since I assume it would be immediately consumed). It just might be weird to have cold(ish) center with a hot seared exterior, but hey, you could just chalk it up to being next level tartare.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Won't matter because its pasteurized, duh. I also doubt he's literally going to sear and serve, more just not wanted to carry a therm because he doesn't know what done chicken feels like.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Won't matter because its pasteurized, duh. I also doubt he's literally going to sear and serve, more just not wanted to carry a therm because he doesn't know what done chicken feels like.

Pretty much this. It gives me (plus anyone else in my group) the ability to pull X meat out of the cooler, and cook it until its "hot" without the worry of "did I cook it enough." Plus drunken no fucks given hunger.

I could probably do a small butt and make in bag pulled pork in bbq sauce maybe, if I was really jumping on the pasteurize it bandwagon I'd do it to some burgers, but that seems WAYYYYYYYYYYY down the silly/useless idea train.

It sounds like a good idea, but I've been known to have great sounding but horrible execution ideas before and wanted a small sanity check.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I used my anova for pork chops but they weren't very thick. They were juicy once seared but not really special. If it a case of them being too thin and seared too long or was doing them at 138 a mistake? IT was mostly midway between serious eats medium rare/medium

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Anybody ever try doing a chicken tartare? What's that like?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Sounds texturally horrific. But a restaurant I was at last weekend had a veal tartare on the menu so what do I know?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I've had venison tartare, and I'm probably full of pinworms as we speak, but it was delicious.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jose posted:

I used my anova for pork chops but they weren't very thick. They were juicy once seared but not really special. If it a case of them being too thin and seared too long or was doing them at 138 a mistake? IT was mostly midway between serious eats medium rare/medium

If they're thin, you can't really sear them properly without overcooking them and might as well just sear without cooking sous-vide first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just bought a Dorkfood temp controller and am gonna try some sous vide steaks tonight!

I have a smallish crock pot and my question - as long as the steaks actually fit into the crock and water covers them, does it matter how big the crock actually is / how much water is used?

e: thinking about it I can't imagine why it would as long as it can heat the meat to a certain temperature.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 26, 2015