Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Yeah I thought it was funny that the first we heard of his son was right before he got tossed down an elevator shaft. Like "Don't worry we're not taking the Owl off the table".

He mentioned his son a couple of other times. They also gave him a suit made by Potter and I think they mentioned it absorbing impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, well that was the first time I heard it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Was anyone disappointed that Betsy didn't turn out to be a cat or something?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I think the conversation with Potter when he gave him the suit was kind of funny " Make me a suit out of this material , I don't like getting cut with blades" , " I made this suit uh some of it's bullet proof and it might stop a blade".

Like what was the point of that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I did like that getting a costume was whole plot point and process. I've always thought it was silly how most superheroes arrive at their costumes. Peter Parker must be one hell of a seamster.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Hollismason posted:

I think the conversation with Potter when he gave him the suit was kind of funny " Make me a suit out of this material , I don't like getting cut with blades" , " I made this suit uh some of it's bullet proof and it might stop a blade".

Like what was the point of that.

Right before he said that he said "I didn't have a lot of time so its not really finished, the black parts are bullet proof and the red parts can stop a knife maybe." I also assumed that in being bulletproof the black parts would also stop a blade as well. Just a time constraint basically.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Purple Man and what he does to Jessica is a huge part of her character. They can't change that.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:swoon:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mikeraskol posted:

Right before he said that he said "I didn't have a lot of time so its not really finished, the black parts are bullet proof and the red parts can stop a knife maybe." I also assumed that in being bulletproof the black parts would also stop a blade as well. Just a time constraint basically.

Bulletproof stuff, traditionally, is pretty useless against blades since they're designed for shock absorbing and all and knives are super good at getting in gaps and holes in shock absorbent stuff.

edit: Useless is too strong, obviously literally anything is better than a cute turtleneck and a bandanna when it comes to 'I'd like to not be stabbed please'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 13, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Just assume a lot of it was made with the same fabric that Fisk was using.

Yes, how lovely, look it's a man in a suit.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

thrakkorzog posted:

I think the problem with having the Punisher as a protagonist is that in order for it the audience to sympathize with him, then the villains he goes after have to be so absolutely evil that the Punisher is justified in killing them. And then move onto the next horrible example of man's inhumanity to man, then the Punisher kills them, and so on. After a while it just kind of becomes a slog, that's why I gave up on Ennis' Punisher.

I agree thought that he would make a pretty good Daredevil antagonist as the bad guy with some good points who can challenge Matt's ideals.

They don't have to be worse than he is for him to be sympathetic. Really, the only difference between Frank Castle and this Matt Murdock (aside from the obvious) is that Murdock eventually stops punching and leaves a warning, whereas Frank doesn't and leaves a corpse; if Matt can horrifically torture people and still be sympathetic, Frank can shoot people in the face and still be sympathetic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drifter posted:

^^^ - Just assume a lot of it was made with the same fabric that Fisk was using.

True, that's entirely logical and fitting.

Speaking of Fisk can I just join the chorus of people who loving love everything about him? This guy totally has the gravitas to have just done 'I'm a rich bastard who wants to be richer gently caress the po-lice' like lots of lazy uses of him have and it would have been good, but instead we got a legitimately sympathetic, conflicted, Kingpin who actually felt like a real person. Fisk's arc was, in my opinion, the most fascinating to watch because I never really knew how much was bullshit and how much was genuine until the endgame when you realize 'oh, so he's just kinda a broken man who legitimately thought poo poo like this could help'. The whole cast was great casting and did their roles near perfectly, but Fisk especially stood out for me.

Like, I would make some glib 'where's our Fisk spinoff' thing but this show perfectly showed its hero and villain exactly as much as it needed to and wove their histories into their present actions so well that you actually don't need one.

Also, Stick isn't getting enough love, holy poo poo was Scott Glenn perfect.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Drifter posted:

We know the suit that he has at the end is made with the same stuff, but he did get injured quite often with the original suit.

The blade line could also be a joke about how Potter becomes Gladiator and his main weapon is a blade.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, Stick was pretty amazing and needs more love, favourite Episode probably.

Also, loving Foggy " Wait you were trained by a blind man that's the plot of Kung Fu".

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Drifter posted:

A purple suit :science:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The thing about Kingpin is that once he puts his hands on you, you are completely hosed. D'Onofrio nailed that sense of just being a huge, unstoppable powerhouse that you cannot hope to stand up to.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

And he looks drat good

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

The thing about Kingpin is that once he puts his hands on you, you are completely hosed.

Or you beat him and become the new Kingpin, as there can only be one.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That might just be Tennant's normal wardrobe, heres a photo from a few years back

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am glad they didn't go for the 3% bodyfat thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

The thing about Kingpin is that once he puts his hands on you, you are completely hosed. D'Onofrio nailed that sense of just being a huge, unstoppable powerhouse that you cannot hope to stand up to.

Yea they did it pretty much exactly how it should be. He doesn't LIKE getting his hands dirty, for an array of reasons, but when he decides he's going to step in you better be a super hero if you want to at best fight him to a draw and get your rear end away from him.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This guy totally has the gravitas to have just done 'I'm a rich bastard who wants to be richer gently caress the po-lice' like lots of lazy uses of him have and it would have been good, but instead we got a legitimately sympathetic, conflicted, Kingpin who actually felt like a real person.

Yeah, that's how I feel, as well. My fear was that they'd take a lazy route with the character, and make him a Colonel Kurtz-esque type who delivers scary monologues in the dark and then kills guys brutally. It'd sell the menace of the man, but otherwise be totally generic.

What we got was really disarming, because of how contradictory he was. He had that capacity for brutal violence, but was otherwise almost sweet and gentle. D'Onofrio took a big character and played him small. Which isn't something I've seen in this kind of story before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get why some people might not have liked the way they portrayed Kingpin, but it's about the most interesting take on a comic book bad guy that I've seen.

How many times were y'all sure they were about to say "kingpin" and then they never did.

Another thing I liked about the show is that they never really held your hand. Like, in the flashback episode where Bill Fisk sits Kingpin Jr down in front of that wall, you go, ooohh that's why he really liked that painting in episode 4 and hung it on his wall. A lesser show would've had some throwaway expository speech to Vanessa or Wesley spelling it out.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 13, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The main villain in Daredevil isn't Wilson Fisk, it's gentrification.

Oh no! Abuela is going to be put out in the street because someone wants to put a condo and frozen yogurt shop here!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Oh no! Abuela is going to be put out in the street because someone wants to put a condo and frozen yogurt shop here!

That's all due to the Avengers. Thanks a lot Tony Stark.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I think my favorite moment of the series was Claire Temple's maniacal laugh when Daredevil showed up to the cab stand.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Daredevil finally arrives in the alley way to find a family of five huddled together for warmth, their furniture lazily thrown around them. He was too late to save them! Broken tv, bent lamp post, couch with holes in it. Out on the sidewalk, oblivious to the family's suffering are young 20-somethings laughing and giggling as they walk arm-in-arm, eating frozen yogurt and drinking boba tea, no cares in the world. Daredevil falls to his knees in a puddle, rain coming down on his face. He clenches both fists at the sky and yells GENTRIFICATIONNNNNNNNN

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Do comic readers know what's up with Chinese lady and where she might have gone (she said something like 'much further away [than home to China]')?

The way she laid out DD with her funky martial arts move made it pretty obvious to me that she's somebody comic readers would recognize.

Though I thought the same thing about the kid in the shipping crate that Stick killed so I guess everything that feels straight from a comic isn't.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Steve Yun posted:

Daredevil finally arrives in the alley way to find a family of five huddled together for warmth, their furniture lazily thrown around them. He was too late to save them! Broken tv, bent lamp post, couch with holes in it. Out on the sidewalk, oblivious to the family's suffering are young 20-somethings laughing and giggling as they walk arm-in-arm, eating frozen yogurt and drinking boba tea, no cares in the world. Daredevil falls to his knees in a puddle, rain coming down on his face. He clenches both fists at the sky and yells GENTRIFICATIONNNNNNNNN

Don't worry, Titus Werewolf was there to save them while Daredevil was off wasting his time with crimelords and ninjas.

Timett posted:

Do comic readers know what's up with Chinese lady and where she might have gone (she said something like 'much further away [than home to China]')?

The way she laid out DD with her funky martial arts move made it pretty obvious to me that she's somebody comic readers would recognize.

Though I thought the same thing about the kid in the shipping crate that Stick killed so I guess everything that feels straight from a comic isn't.

She's more than likely Crane Mother, the matriarch of one of the mystical cities of heaven from the recent Iron-Fist reboot, the Immortal Iron-Fist. There's eight cities each with their own champion, who have been in contest with each other and training champions for centuries. Her champion is the Steel Serpent, which was the name of the heroin she used, and the heroin also had the same brand as the Steel Serpent character has on his chest.

Also, I really, really hope that if the Iron-Fist series is doing the Tournament of Heaven that it also features flashbacks to some of the previous Iron-Fist champions. Some of those stories were cool as gently caress. And the variety in costume design the various champions showed was great too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 13, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timett posted:

The theory is she's this character: http://www.comicvine.com/crane-mother/4005-35956/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

zoux posted:

I get why some people might not have liked the way they portrayed Kingpin, but it's about the most interesting take on a comic book bad guy that I've seen.

How many times were y'all sure they were about to say "kingpin" and then they never did.

Another thing I liked about the show is that they never really held your hand. Like, in the flashback episode where Bill Fisk sits Kingpin Jr down in front of that wall, you go, ooohh that's why he really liked that painting in episode 4 and hung it on his wall. A lesser show would've had some throwaway expository speech to Vanessa or Wesley spelling it out.

There's also a counterpoint to that with Matt , where it is suggested to him by stick to try Meditation and where Matt tries to meditate and fails. Like Matt even mentions he meditates to heal quicker.

Fisk practices meditation but not for the reason Matt is doing it, his meditation drives him. Matt's meditation relaxes him.

Like Matt and Fisk basically have the same father.

Here's just some points

Matts father - Gives Matt a drink of Whiskey
Wilsons Father - Gives him a drink of beer
Matts Father - Goal is to be a prize winning fighter and that's his ticket out.
Wilsons Father - Goal is to be a politician and that's his ticket out
Matt's Father - " Always get back up"
Wilsons Father - " Don't Stop Kicking them when their down"
Matt's Father - " Focus on my voice"
Wilsons Father - " Stair at this wall and imagine who you want to be"
Matt - Goes to a Orphanage to be raised by others
Wilson - Goes to a Farm to be raised by others
Matt- Mother is Absent
Wilson - Mother is there but absent in spirit?

Sure there is more. Oh here's one Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school. They're both in Hell's Kitchen so Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 13, 2015

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Watched the series, enjoyed it. Looking forward to Elektra in season 2 :toot:

What was Black Sky supposed to be? Is it an Iron Fist thing?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Black Sky is a vessel for The Beast the Daemon that The Hand clan of Ninjas work for.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Naw, probably a Chipotle.

mikeraskol posted:

Also how does Matt tell the difference between them? That was my question.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

They're made of different materials.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dj_clawson posted:

Because Daredevil can feel the energy variances between valence electrons and the radiation they emit, so it's pretty easy for him to tell colors apart.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

dj_clawson posted:

He'll ask Foggy or Claire which part is read and which part is black.

Foggy will paint the whole thing yellow as a prank.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Drifter posted:

Because Daredevil can feel the energy variances between valence electrons and the radiation they emit, so it's pretty easy for him to tell colors apart.

I think one of my favorite things in the comics ever was when everyone in the city basically knew Matt was Daredevil, and Matt was blind, so he was dressed as Daredevil and he had to run through a diner and some guy stopped him and said, "What color is my tie?" He was seriously pissed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

He can't see colours but they did non chalantly throw in his sense of touch is so good he can feel and read print. I did like him using the assisted Keyboard and system. I thought that was cool.

Overall as a Disability Advocate and someone who worked with the blind for a while, he actually got some of the nuance to the character down and wasn't like crazy head waving around talking acting. Just something that annoys me and he didn't do.

Like every time you see a actor who plays a blind person they tilt their head and a large majority of people who were previously blind don't do this at all. People who are born blind generally have some other congenital diseases and disabilities so they'll have a different gait or they'll tilt their head back some what.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

I think one of my favorite things in the comics ever was when everyone in the city basically knew Matt was Daredevil, and Matt was blind, so he was dressed as Daredevil and he had to run through a diner and some guy stopped him and said, "What color is my tie?" He was seriously pissed.

For awhile everyone knew but didn't know