Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, that stuff was pretty standard back then. I sort of wish they would bring back some of the good mechanics from Morrowind over to modern games though. It gets boring being a demi-god who happens ro be the leader of every drat faction after the second time.

You'd figure Bethesda would *want* people to replay their games by locking out factions based on choice (i.e. can't join the Companions if you're DB or Thieves guild) or by being able to progress through the stories via branching paths (i.e. Morrowind's Back Path). I imagine Skyrim would have been more fun if you could legitimately murder Delphine or Brynjolf and then have to find a way to finish those respective storylines through a different method (like having to figure out where Esbern is on your own, or deducing that Mercer was the one responsible for the TG's bad luck, and then deciding to either side with him, with Karliah, or stand on your own).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Roll to hit never bugged me personally - although I might say something different if I was to pull up the game right now and roll a level one character from scratch. But I know a lot of people who tried to get into the game and couldn't for whatever reason - even back when it was a new game. Possibly because for a lot of people it was kind of their intro to this type of open world gaming.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Well, I can definitely see that basically being told 'hey, you're free to do whatever you want now, maybe do this thing if you want', compared to Oblivion and Skyrim's more directive start 'hey, go do this thing'.

Of course, given how many people don't even complete Unbound in Skyrim, as in literally the first quest (Steam achievements say 86% have actually beaten it), it's not surprising that given ultimate freedom not many people know what to do with it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

When you think about it, the Thieves Guild is probably the only actually "good" guys in all of Morrowind. Property is theft, friends, so it is good to steal from the rich and give to yourself the poor and expose the corruption in the Fighter's Guild.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pikestaff posted:

Roll to hit never bugged me personally - although I might say something different if I was to pull up the game right now and roll a level one character from scratch. But I know a lot of people who tried to get into the game and couldn't for whatever reason - even back when it was a new game. Possibly because for a lot of people it was kind of their intro to this type of open world gaming.

I don't merely not mind roll to hit, I actively like it. It felt like it offered very tangible rewards for advancing and for sensibly building a character. Weirdly I was more brought out of the game in Oblivion and Skyrim where I could crush someone with a fuckoff huge warhammer six times but do basically no damage - I find it a lot easier to buy that skill affects accuracy than damage.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Weapon skills should scale attack speed in addition to damage, maybe other factors. That way you can have them be lovely at low skill without having anything feel too ridiculous.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pikestaff posted:

The trick is to be a redguard and have blades be one of your core skills. It only takes like two levels before you starting crushing everything. And as it true of all Bethesda games, longsword artifacts are always top tier.

Which reminds of one thing that keeps getting worse. Levelled artifacts and quest rewards. Artifacts in particular don't make sense. Definitely not from a lore standpoint or logical standpoint. And it's not like Bethesda balances combat in these games, so it doesn't make sense from a balance standpoint either.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

Of course, given how many people don't even complete Unbound in Skyrim, as in literally the first quest (Steam achievements say 86% have actually beaten it), it's not surprising that given ultimate freedom not many people know what to do with it.

That's actually a super high "started the game" rate for a modern game. Only 71% of people who own Portal 2 have finished the first five minutes(and thereby gotten the first achievement), only 66% of people who own it beat Saints Row IV's first mission, and only 64% of Payday 2 owners have done the very first thing in the game. People are just really non-committal in general.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

When you think about it, the Thieves Guild is probably the only actually "good" guys in all of Morrowind. Property is theft, friends, so it is good to steal from the rich and give to yourself the poor and expose the corruption in the Fighter's Guild.

not so much the thieves guild proper, but their braintrust, yeah

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

You have to consider there is probably a non-small contingent who just buy a game, run it for a minute, and then their graphics card overheats and reboots the system because they're trying to run Skyrim on a chromebook.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Berke Negri posted:

You have to consider there is probably a non-small contingent who just buy a game, run it for a minute, and then their graphics card overheats and reboots the system because they're trying to run Skyrim on a chromebook.

That's one explanation sure, but let's not forget what Gaben does several times a year. We've all got loads of games we will never play because of that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

That's one explanation sure, but let's not forget what Gaben does several times a year. We've all got loads of games we will never play because of that.

Plus humble bundles; sometimes I'll buy one just for one or two games because it's a good price, but then I get a bunch of other games with it. Although they might not count if they're not linked to my Steam account?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Any tips for getting Morrowind to run at a respectable framerate in widescreen? I'm asking for a friend.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I can't get Morrowind to run at a decent framerate even in vanilla for some reason. I can run Skyrim at 30+ fps.

I'm putting my hope in OpenMW, and it's looking pretty good so far. Still crappy framerate, but they're moving to another rendering engine, and almost all of vanilla Morrwind is implemented already.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

axolotl farmer posted:

I can't get Morrowind to run at a decent framerate even in vanilla for some reason. I can run Skyrim at 30+ fps.

I'm putting my hope in OpenMW, and it's looking pretty good so far. Still crappy framerate, but they're moving to another rendering engine, and almost all of vanilla Morrwind is implemented already.

Do you have any games that run at a decent frame rate? How old is your machine?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

It's a laptop that's four years old. It has an i7 and a dedicated Geforce GT 540m. I can run Skyrim, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead and Fallout/Oblibion/Skyrim just fine.

So it's fine for older games, Morrowind works fine indoors, but outdoor the fps just drops to ~20. I have patches installed and the fps optimizer mod. Been over this in the Morrowind thread, and looks like Morrowind just hates my hardware.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It seems like i've never played shivering isles. I need to remedy that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
gently caress the FPS optimizer, try running MGE XE, and running the exe optimizer (after the code patch) and see where that gets you. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some significant performance benefits.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

funmanguy posted:

You really should. The dlc for Oblivion is the best part of the game. Apparently I had a wizard uncle, the lady that eats horses is excellent at making armor for horses, and my other uncle was a knight.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

funmanguy posted:

Shivering Isles is the main reason to play Oblivion

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

K8.0 posted:

gently caress the FPS optimizer, try running MGE XE, and running the exe optimizer (after the code patch) and see where that gets you. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some significant performance benefits.

Welp, that worked :stare:

I ran the code patch and MGE XE and got fps up to a playable rate outdoors. Played for an hour and so far I have been owned by a skeleton and some small wildlife critters.

Thanks! :tipshat:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

I ran the code patch and MGE XE and got fps up to a playable rate outdoors. Played for an hour and so far I have been owned by a skeleton and some small wildlife critters.

If this is your first time playing you should find the boots of blinding speed on a redguard North of Caldera. Either do her quest or kill her and the boots are yours. There's a fine alchemist shop that sells replenishing potions of resist magic 20% in balmora, chug 5 of those and slap those boots on to not be blinded. This is imo a must for any Morrowind play through and it'll make the game instantly twenty times more enjoyable.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder where Kirkbride is posting now. I recall him having some sort of tantrum on r/teslore over something or other and demanded the mods ban him.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder where Kirkbride is posting now. I recall him having some sort of tantrum on r/teslore over something or other and demanded the mods ban him.

Can you really ban that which has achieved CHIM?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

SunAndSpring posted:

He still posts on r/teslore. That wasn't his first outburst and it probably won't be his last.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

axolotl farmer posted:

Oh and some of the outdoor shaders in MGE heavily eat up your frame rate, you could probably turn those off (they'll have a red color near them somewhere?) and get improvements as well. It took me from like 20 fps outside to 120 before I capped it.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

SunAndSpring posted:

He also has a tumblr that he mostly uses to post sketches and concept art, which are the parts of his creative output everyone can agree upon as good.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
There's also this youtube channel where they have a podcast with him occasionally participating.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

Oh and some of the outdoor shaders in MGE heavily eat up your frame rate, you could probably turn those off (they'll have a red color near them somewhere?) and get improvements as well. It took me from like 20 fps outside to 120 before I capped it.

I turned off all shaders and get 40-60 fps outdoors. Shoots up >100 indoors :toot:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Chocolate Hammer/Rutskarn has posted the first part of his Oblivion retrospective:

quote:

I intimated earlier in the series that there is no such thing, broadly speaking, as an unsuccessful Elder Scrolls game. The least you can expect of the franchise is success on a game’s own terms. Success on the last game’s terms, you can never count on. Successful in hindsight? Not guaranteed at all.

By the standards of the previous game, Oblivion is a ponderous misshapen clunker that takes every opportunity to shunt the player off the precipice of immersion. And by the standards of the next game, Oblivion is a ponderous misshapen clunker that takes every opportunity to shunt the player off the precipice of immersion.

By the standards of the day? A difficult question. “The day” was one of the most interesting periods in the franchise’s history, and one of the most tumultuous in the history of videogames.

http://www.chocolatehammer.org/?p=5016

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012
I wish I had played Morrowind when it came out, but the RNG was both unknown to my teenage self, and punching through a Mudcrab until I had to go to sleep, wake up, find the same Mudcrab and continue punching it was not an appealing style of gameplay... Has it aged well? Or have I been tainted by the easy, casual style of Skyrim?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Yousomuscle posted:

I wish I had played Morrowind when it came out, but the RNG was both unknown to my teenage self, and punching through a Mudcrab until I had to go to sleep, wake up, find the same Mudcrab and continue punching it was not an appealing style of gameplay... Has it aged well? Or have I been tainted by the easy, casual style of Skyrim?

There's a mod called DepthPerception. Basically what it does it makes it so you always hit, but your damage is based off your skill instead. It also balances itself pretty well by keeping stuff like Sanctuary ( chance to not be hit ), but then only reducing the chance to 75% or so, which isn't bad at all.

If you've never played Morrowind, it's a great way to get past the biggest curve you'll have, and then you can enjoy the game proper.

Morrowind itself is still a pretty solid Elder Scrolls game outside of the combat. You get a few silly things, like everyone has the same intro message/a much smaller array of topics to talk about, but you eventually get used to it, and the world building/exploration aspects are so much better then anything else Bethesda has done, it's a game that ( still ) needs to be played. You'll find yourself making fun of a few small things as you go through the game, and might end up modding up how fast you gain levels, but if you like Oblivion/Skyrim, it's another game in that series for sure.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Yousomuscle posted:

Outside of the random hit rolls the clunkiest bit of Morrowind combat is magic, having to use a separate magic stance is really stupid and no natural magic regen sucks. Thankfully the MCP lets you quick cast like Oblivion, and there's a few magic regen things out there.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Did the community ever figure out how to replace Morrowind's animations? Going back and playing it over the years (as I have many times) the thing that strikes me as dated every single time are the awkward animations, but I seem to recall that they are especially difficult for modders to do anything with.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Shab posted:

Did the community ever figure out how to replace Morrowind's animations? Going back and playing it over the years (as I have many times) the thing that strikes me as dated every single time are the awkward animations, but I seem to recall that they are especially difficult for modders to do anything with.

That's something that'll have to wait for OpenMW 1.0 or so.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

SunAndSpring posted:

That's something that'll have to wait for OpenMW 1.0 or so.

There are definitely multiple mods that change the running, attacking, and combat animations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There's lots of really bad fan art of The Lusty Argonian Maid out there :stare:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
but that's not one of them

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I've enjoyed this discussion on lore, but enough is enough. Post more fan art!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

but that's not one of them

:agreed: