Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tsob posted:

Don't worry, Titus Werewolf was there to save them while Daredevil was off wasting his time with crimelords and ninjas.

She's more than likely Crane Mother, the matriarch of one of the mystical cities of heaven from the recent Iron-Fist reboot, the Immortal Iron-Fist. There's eight cities each with their own champion, who have been in contest with each other and training champions for centuries. Her champion is the Steel Serpent, which was the name of the heroin she used, and the heroin also had the same brand as the Steel Serpent character has on his chest.

Also, I really, really hope that if the Iron-Fist series is doing the Tournament of Heaven that it also features flashbacks to some of the previous Iron-Fist champions. Some of those stories were cool as gently caress. And the variety in costume design the various champions showed was great too.

I'm hoping we'll see Fat Cobra in the Iron Fist series. He was a hoot in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm hoping we'll see Fat Cobra in the Iron Fist series. He was a hoot in the comics.

I really, really hope they do the Fraction run for the series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

It would be really terrible if they didn't because previous to Fraction Iron Fist was not that interesting of a character , and Fraction really turned the whole character around and added a shitload of Mythology.

I really hope we get Alias Luke Cage and not Brian Azzerello Luke Cage.

Also, Jeph Loeb is apparently a writer or at least had input on this, but how the gently caress that happened I dunno.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LadyPictureShow posted:

Almost all the champions were great. Bride of Nine Spiders, Amon, even Davos was good. I just love the names they have too. I'm looking forward to seeing Luke and Danny bro'ing it up on screen too. Hopefully they get the fun of that down within both the Luke Cage and Iron-Fist shows.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hollismason posted:

Here's just some points

Matts father - Gives Matt a drink of Whiskey
Wilsons Father - Gives him a drink of beer
Matts Father - Goal is to be a prize winning fighter and that's his ticket out.
Wilsons Father - Goal is to be a politician and that's his ticket out
Matt's Father - " Always get back up"
Wilsons Father - " Don't Stop Kicking them when their down"
Matt's Father - " Focus on my voice"
Wilsons Father - " Stair at this wall and imagine who you want to be"
Matt - Goes to a Orphanage to be raised by others
Wilson - Goes to a Farm to be raised by others
Matt- Mother is Absent
Wilson - Mother is there but absent in spirit?

Sure there is more. Oh here's one Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school. They're both in Hell's Kitchen so Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school.

There's a great scene in maybe episode 8 where they're slowly panning up silk sheets... I thought it was going to be Matt, 'cause we just had the discussion with him and Stick about how he sleeps in silk sheets. But, nope, it's Fisk. They both sleep in silk sheets, kinda funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

There's also a counterpoint to that with Matt , where it is suggested to him by stick to try Meditation and where Matt tries to meditate and fails. Like Matt even mentions he meditates to heal quicker.

Fisk practices meditation but not for the reason Matt is doing it, his meditation drives him. Matt's meditation relaxes him.

Like Matt and Fisk basically have the same father.

Here's just some points

Matts father - Gives Matt a drink of Whiskey
Wilsons Father - Gives him a drink of beer
Matts Father - Goal is to be a prize winning fighter and that's his ticket out.
Wilsons Father - Goal is to be a politician and that's his ticket out
Matt's Father - " Always get back up"
Wilsons Father - " Don't Stop Kicking them when their down"
Matt's Father - " Focus on my voice"
Wilsons Father - " Stair at this wall and imagine who you want to be"
Matt - Goes to a Orphanage to be raised by others
Wilson - Goes to a Farm to be raised by others
Matt- Mother is Absent
Wilson - Mother is there but absent in spirit?

Sure there is more. Oh here's one Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school. They're both in Hell's Kitchen so Matt and Fisk probably went to the same school.

One of the strengths of the conflict is that yea they basically are the same dude. Fisk's hosed up abused child view of his dad is entirely why he's who he is and Matt's hosed up child like idealization of his dad is why he's who he is. They say the same things, they have the same goals, they DO the same things, but just the small differences make them entirely different people.

Best of all there's no corny "YOU AND I ARE LIKE BROTHERS AREN'T WE" moment because they hardly ever directly interact. They don't know about each other, we the viewer get it but of course Fisk doesn't give a poo poo about who Matt's dad was, Matt doesn't give a poo poo that Fisk genuinely thinks he's fixing thing. It's like the priest says, Satan doesn't mean one specific dude, it's just 'the adversary', that's what they both are to eachother, their adversaries.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luke Cage has got to be in the rest of the shows right? And Danny has to be in the Luke Cage show, along with Jessica Jones. I feel like the latter three series are going to be interconnected, it'll be cool to see if they do some Daredevil appearances

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Best of all there's no corny "YOU AND I ARE LIKE BROTHERS AREN'T WE" moment because they hardly ever directly interact. They don't know about each other, we the viewer get it but of course Fisk doesn't give a poo poo about who Matt's dad was, Matt doesn't give a poo poo that Fisk genuinely thinks he's fixing thing. It's like the priest says, Satan doesn't mean one specific dude, it's just 'the adversary', that's what they both are to eachother, their adversaries.

No there is. Fisk tells Matt they are very alike over the radio when Matt is trapped in that building with Vladimir. The reason it rose above that cliche is that one of the main themes is how similar Matt and Fisk are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Luke Cage has got to be in the rest of the shows right? And Danny has to be in the Luke Cage show, along with Jessica Jones. I feel like the latter three series are going to be interconnected, it'll be cool to see if they do some Daredevil appearances

Daredevil does hire Jessica as a bodyguard

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I just liked that they weren't to heavy handied, the one thing I would have liked is a scene with a younger Fisk and a younger Wesley becoming friends similar to Matt and Foggy. Oh here are some other stuff:

Fisk lies to Wesley about speaking Japanese
Matt lies to Foggy about being able to "see"

I'll write it all down when I do a rewatch of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

No there is. Fisk tells Matt they are very alike over the radio when Matt is trapped in that building with Vladimir. The reason it rose above that cliche is that one of the main themes is how similar Matt and Fisk are.

Yea I was being unclear, I meant they didn't milk it out like some action shows do. He tries for that angle the first time they 'meet' over the radio but when Matt says 'nah man gently caress that' he just goes 'ok everything that happens now is your fault' and kills a bunch of cops because that's how Kingpin does things.

There's no big thing where they spell out everything we know about how alike they are and how they could have basically shared a background and all, they just let us see it and leave it at that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I kind of wonder if Fisk and Matt are both Catholic. Like it'd make sense but I don't recall seeing any religious imagery in Fisks house are remember any other sounds.

Also, I'm pretty sure those Gangsters that talked to Matts dad are also the same Gangsters that Fisk's dad owed money to.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I kind of wonder if Fisk and Matt are both Catholic.

Fisk's mom is Italian so yes yes they are, and Matt is hugely Catholic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fisk probably grew up Catholic, but didn't he pretty much say during his last speech, that he wasn't religious, but he did remember this one story.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Daredevil : A Christian warrior comes into conflict with the Devil and has to regain his faith.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dexo posted:

Fisk probably grew up Catholic, but didn't he pretty much say during his last speech, that he wasn't religious, but he did remember this one story.

Yeah he did not grow up religious but he read the bible and remembered the story of the good Samaritan.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dexo posted:

I'm pretty sure he clarifies at one point that neither of his parents were religious. He also notes while talking to Vanessa while she's out in the hospital bed that he's tried praying before but never really felt he got it. He also notes in the SWAT van before his Samaritan speech that he's read passages of the bible over the years, snippets here and there, but I'm pretty sure he adds an addendum that he didn't have one as a child or something.

Matt is Catholic and probably was since childhood, Fisk isn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's tryin' Ringo. He's tryin' real hard.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

Daredevil : A Christian warrior comes into conflict with the Devil and has to regain his faith.

Daredevil is a gritty Bibleman reboot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Here's the best review for Daredevil yet:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/04/13/daredevils-vigilante-injustices-come-at-the-wrong-time/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol, apparently she didn't catch the part that Daredevil has super powers and can tell when people are lying.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

quote:

But a debate like that, which isn’t really a debate, or flashbacks to little Matt quoting Thurgood Marshall, or the sight of Matt going to confession to get preemptory dispensation for his sins in the pilot don’t do much to convince me that “Daredevil” has thought very much about the anti-heroic nature of a moral philosophy where the most noble thing a parent or a lawyer can do is to hit someone very, very hard (Matt’s dad is a boxer who used to throw fights). The color palette on “Daredevil” is muddy — it’s always a rainy autumn evening in Hell’s Kitchen, apparently — but its view of the world is a crisp, and dully disturbing, black-and-white.

This person didn't even watch the pilot she's mad about.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

So...superhero stories would be better if the heroes killed more innocent people?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Haha, when I read it, there was an article on gentrification at the bottom. It's like they're not even trying.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's what I took away from it.

quote:

But if the killings of black men, teenagers and boys that have gripped this country in recent years have taught us anything, it should be that such fantasies of certainty are dangerous delusions. And even if someone is guilty, delivering penalties outside of a courtroom has an ugly way of escalating the punishment for crimes. Walter Scott is dead because he had a broken taillight on his car. Michael Brown is dead because he was suspected of robbing a convenience store. The crimes in “Daredevil,” including trafficking and attempted murder, are more consequential, but the show is still awfully blithe about how violently Matt deals with them.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 13, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Hollismason posted:

Starring Kirk Cameron!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So do we know if DeKnight's sticking around for the rest of the shows? That seems like pretty important info.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WickedHate posted:

So...superhero stories would be better if the heroes killed more innocent people?

Right they'd be less black and white if sometimes the people our hero killed were objectively innocent.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Gifs!

1x01

1x02

More incoming, but I don't want to overdo it with one post.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Drifter posted:

Because Daredevil can feel the energy variances between valence electrons and the radiation they emit, so it's pretty easy for him to tell colors apart.

Foggy: Wait? You can see?
Matt: Yes, but not like you. I see A WORLD ON FIRE!
Foggy: Oh so you can't see colors?
Matt: Oh no. I can totally see colors too.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
1x10 is probably one of my favourite episodes of anything ever.

I wonder how they are going to do this. Daredevil is easily good enough (and deep enough) to have many more series to comes but I doubt Netflix want to tie themselves to doing sequels for all 4 of the new series.

I think Jessica Drew will be watchable but I'm expecting Tennant to steal the show and Luke Cage should be good enough with the fella they have playing them. I'll be curious how they differentiate Daredevil and Iron Fist as large parts of Daredevil could easily be an Iron Fist series.

I wonder if they want to keep doing sequels for these though or move on to other heroes...Punisher is an obvious one but so is someone like Moon Knight (who was alluded to in a throwaway comment in Cap 2), Namor and Madrox.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

Possibly. I suspect what happened was the writers realized they'd made Fisk too sympathetic. And a scene where he personally murders a character we've grown to care about was the best way to remind us he's the villain. I support the decision dramatically, because it elevated the stakes and contributed a lot of pathos to the show.

I wasn't necessarily sold on D'Onofrio's take on Fisk at first...the violent man-child thing seemed like an odd choice. But the flashbacks actually helped a lot to crystalize the point of that, and now I'm into it.

This take on Kingpin is the opposite of the Michael Clarke Duncan's. Fisk in this show *resents* the things that make him so formidable. He's physically defined by his hugeness, but his personality is the exact opposite: meek, awkward, stilted. Other versions of the character thrive on attention, and embrace the spotlight with their white suit. But this version is sheepish and quiet. He's happiest when he's serving Vanessa fancy wine, and angriest when someone reminds him of who he REALLY is: a fat kid with an rear end in a top hat dad who grew up in blue collar poverty.

The bourgeois affectations make sense in light of this, because that's what his aspirational self is. His father was crude and loud and abrasive, so Wilson tries to be this restrained, refined aristocrat. He wears bundled up black suits and sits in starkly modernist furniture, and every morning he has his OCD ritual of gourmet food and classical music, literally trying to forget his nightmarish youth. His extreme awkwardness is appropriate, because he's playing this role that is a complete fantasy.

The irony, of course, is that the apish, violent monster his father wanted him to be - the thing he wishes he wasn't - is who he NEEDS to be in order to achieve his goals. That's how I interpreted his speech about the Good Samaritan. His sobering realization that he can never stop being the fat, violent, sadistic behemoth he resisted being. He's not some Prince of Hell's Kitchen or some wealthy altruist who hangs out in art galleries. He's his father's son.

He gets the big, billowy white suit from the comics in the end...in jail. Staring at the wall once again, the way his dad told him to.

I like this post a lot.

I noticed how Wilson also has a completely different body language with men and women. With Gao , vanessa and his mother he's always hunched over sitting towards them like some gentle giant. The good son.

With other men he usually has his back towards them as he fidgets around unless he gets all rage monster on them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sorvah posted:

I think Jessica Drew will be watchable but I'm expecting Tennant to steal the show and Luke Cage should be good enough with the fella they have playing them. I'll be curious how they differentiate Daredevil and Iron Fist as large parts of Daredevil could easily be an Iron Fist series.

If they're adapting the Immortal Iron Fist stuff then Iron-Fist will be a lot more colorful visually and have a much more fantastic and mystical tone than the down-to-Earth and morally grey/muddiness of Daredevil. It'll be about magical dimensions that connect to Earth every decade and kung-fu champions who can one-punch dragons, infuse guns with qi/chi, heal others magically and poo poo. The kind of kung-fu that Daredevil is doing will be small time compared to Iron-Fist.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sorvah posted:

I'll be curious how they differentiate Daredevil and Iron Fist as large parts of Daredevil could easily be an Iron Fist series.

Really I imagine the second the dragon shows up or he has to deal with the alien plant people folks would be fine going "Yep, this sure isn't Daredevil".

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So I'm starting to wonder if Luke Cage is going to end up being a romantic comedy/love story that'll build on whatever relationship Luke and Jessica start in AKA Jessica Jones. It'd give them their humanizing hook plus allow for an un-tread angle in super hero (well at least cinematic) stories.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sorvah posted:

I wonder if they want to keep doing sequels for these though or move on to other heroes...Punisher is an obvious one but so is someone like Moon Knight (who was alluded to in a throwaway comment in Cap 2), Namor and Madrox.

I'd want to see Blade, which would actually make sense given the tone and some of the supernatural / magical elements in Daredevil. If they can do secret underground magic kung fu alternate dimension poo poo, vampires aren't that absurd of a premise.

My weird choice is a Hannibal King series. Not in the Ryan Reynolds sense of the character; I could see them reconfiguring Hannibal King as a sort of John Constantine figure for the MCU. Which would play into a general trend of more supernatural characters (other than Blade) like Moon Knight or Cloak & Dagger.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have long waited to see Iron Fist literally punch a Dragon to death. It better not be metaphorical. I want him to beat a dragon to death with his bare hands and then punch through it's chest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I have long waited to see Iron Fist literally punch a Dragon to death. It better not be metaphorical. I want him to beat a dragon to death with his bare hands and then punch through it's chest.

Uh is there another way to become an Iron Fist?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I would like a Runaways series

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sorvah posted:

There's a Spider-Woman series coming too? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hollismason posted:

Man, it doesn't even seem like Doctor Strange is gonna be out before Iron Fist. That sucks. Really wish they could have done a deep dive. But doubt they do it with Strange probably being what introduces magic