Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hollismason posted:

Did anyone notice the cover change on Daredevil on Netflix ? I don't remember him being in the suit and now he's in the suit. Or am I imagining that.

You're not. It happened over the weekend at some point; the thumbnail changed.

My prediction is, they didn't want to spoil what the suit looked like for binge-watching nerds and held off on that for a few days. Now there's a suit so more casual watchers will know, "hey, superheroes."

Edit:

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I've saw it posted on various places, but I really hope when they cast Danny, they make him Asian-American. I never realised how "and the white guy arrives and he's better than the natives automatically" Danny's origin story was until it was pointed out.

Totally. Which is especially annoying because Dr. Strange does this exact same thing. They might wind up with two of those stories in the same year.

I get the complaint that casting an Asian guy as a mystical Ancient Chinese Secret kung fu wizard is racially exotifying. But let's be honest: there is no way to avoid this complaint for a show called Iron Fist, regardless of who the lead is.

I'd argue an Asian-American protagonist would at least mitigate that distaste a little. And when else will they cast an Asian guy for a lead role, if not for that?

Xealot fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I really want Danny to be Asian too. It really sucks that all the heroes with their own solo film/shows up this point are white and with the exception of Peggy, men

Xealot posted:

You're not. It happened over the weekend at some point; the thumbnail changed.

My prediction is, they didn't want to spoil what the suit looked like for binge-watching nerds and held off on that for a few days. Now there's a suit so more casual watchers will know, "hey, superheroes."

When I first saw it, I thought it must have changed because I finished it. It's a total bait and switch to new viewers, though. The costume is awesome, but he doesn't wear it till the last bit of the last episode.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 14, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gilok posted:

Personally I hope they get whoever is the best actor regardless of race :shrug:

Correct answer.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So would Danny then be the "wrong kind of asian" for certain important characters in his story instead of the "wrong kind of everything"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prepare yourself for Danny to not be Asian.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
^Ugh, I prefer living in denial. Much more comfortable.

Gilok posted:

Personally I hope they get whoever is the best actor regardless of race :shrug:
I mean, sure, but Iron Fist isn't exactly a situation like Spider-Man or Ben Urich or something where their ethnicity is -- arguably, and even in these cases I think it's up for debate -- not that important to the storyline. The entire backdrop of Iron Fist's storyline is culture-relevant. His whole setting is laced with Orientalism, specifically the depiction of ancient Chinese kung fu. The ethnicity of the actor they get to play Danny Rand is, frankly, very very significant in this context.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 14, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

Correct answer.

You wouldn't say that about Luke Cage.

zoux posted:

Chances are low, but he really needs to be.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

It's OK, his family is historically from East of Moscow Russia, so he's technically Asian!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What are the chances they could get Jet Li or Jacky Chan to play some of the elders in the series? One of them as Lei Kung the Thunderer would be pretty cool.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Can I confess that even though I've read all of Daredevil through 2013, it was binge-reading and I couldn't keep track of the 8,000 Marvel characters who wandered into the comic over the years? I thought I would be good on references in this thread, but I'm not.

The fanfic out there is really hosed up, too. You have to know every character ever, then imagine them all genderbent, blind, living in a hospital, and also they're all gay.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I've saw it posted on various places, but I really hope when they cast Danny, they make him Asian-American. I never realised how "and the white guy arrives and he's better than the natives automatically" Danny's origin story was until it was pointed out.

If they make him Asian-American, they can pull the Chosen One schtick a little more credibly.

Making the 'Gifted Martial Artist' character Asian isn't exactly amazing either.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Kainser posted:

Making the 'Gifted Martial Artist' character Asian isn't exactly amazing either.

Look, I'll settle for a gifted Asian-style martial artist BEING Asian. That is how low my expectations are.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

BrianWilly posted:

^Ugh, I prefer living in denial. Much more comfortable.
I mean, sure, but Iron Fist isn't exactly a situation like Spider-Man or Ben Urich or something where their ethnicity is -- arguably, and even in these cases I think it's up for debate -- not that important to the storyline. The entire backdrop of Iron Fist's storyline is culture-relevant. His whole setting is laced with Orientalism, specifically the depiction of ancient Chinese kung fu. The ethnicity of the actor they get to play Danny Rand is, frankly, very very significant in this context.

Riiiight, but his story is specifically that he is not a part of that culture and kind of accidents his way into being Iron Fist. This isn't to say that he can't be Asian, but even if he is he has to be extremely American. Which IMO is almost more offensive, as it suggests that Asians have genetic Kung Fu.

But Marvel is totally not going to cast an Asian guy. Prepare for disappointment. Personally I hope he's Latino :mrgw:

EDIT: It's also kind of reductionist to boil his entire story down to "White guy is better at Asian stuff than Asian guys." It's possible to tell the story from the comics respectfully and without bias, as evidenced by the fact that half the people here didn't notice that interpretation was possible until it was pointed out.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 14, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kainser posted:

Just go all in and make him English.

Gilok posted:

But Marvel is totally not going to cast an Asian guy. Prepare for disappointment. Personally I hope he's Latino :mrgw:

A scion of a wealthy Brazilian family, and the entire movie all the mystic kung fu masters poo poo all over BJJ.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

Just go all in and make him English.

Tom Wu is Chinese British - best of both worlds?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kainser posted:

This is misleading. When was the last time we had a Asian gifted martial artist lead hero in western entertainment? Not just as a character that exists, but as the lead hero. The amount of white martial artist heroes and superheroes vastly outnumber any alternatives.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Xtanstic posted:

You're doing the Lord's work, son.

Thanks! :)

1x05

1x06

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

zoux posted:

It seems more possible here than with most Marvel properties, though. The leads of the other two shows are a white woman and black man, and Daredevil himself is already a white guy, so I could see a situation where diversity-minded casting is important and they select an East Asian actor.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Xealot posted:

It seems more possible here than with most Marvel properties, though. The leads of the other two shows are a white woman and black man, and Daredevil himself is already a white guy, so I could see a situation where diversity-minded casting is important and they select an East Asian actor.

It's not and people are pre-emptively (and I'd say knowingly) setting themselves up for a lot of disappointment and bitching when Danny is inevitably Not Asian.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WickedHate posted:

You wouldn't say that about Luke Cage.

No I wouldn't because I'm not stupid.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Hey gif-master, if I could get the scene in episode 4 when Matt finds out that Claire is in danger and sprints down the street, turns into an alley (simultaneously throwing his walking stick into the garbage) and scampers up a wall to kick in her door, so that I can use it as my sole method of communicating urgency or eagerness to get to a place or do a thing, I'd be real appreciative.

I dunno how I'm gonna wait for the rest of the Netflix Marvel shows to come out. I'm really looking forward to seeing the shows become more intertwined as we go along and gently caress if I'm not ready to see what Coker does with Luke Cage.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's not and people are pre-emptively (and I'd say knowingly) setting themselves up for a lot of disappointment and bitching when Danny is inevitably Not Asian.

Yeah, Marvel has been pretty consistently going for a physical likeness to the comic character for the lead roles in all of their properties so far. Like, Scott Lang being dark haired is a daring choice for them.

I'd say you could change some of the supporting characters to be Asian, like they changed Ben to be black, but all of Iron Fist's supporting characters are already Asian.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Here is the thing I think it's more important that the character be useful for telling relevant and interesting stories that will appeal to as large an audience as possible than it is to fulfill anyones racial or national pride.

While Danny's origins as a white man definitely owe to racism it's ironic that his status as a white man is likely a better hook for stories about racism, othering, and alienation than if he had been asian the whole time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gilok posted:

White Tiger guest appearing would be all kinds of great.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Just make Danny a gay black woman like the guy earlier suggested. Problem solved. :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Here is the thing I think it's more important that the character be useful for telling relevant and interesting stories that will appeal to as large an audience as possible than it is to fulfill anyones racial or national pride.

While Danny's origins as a white man definitely owe to racism it's ironic that his status as a white man is likely a better hook for stories about racism, othering, and alienation than if he had been asian the whole time.
Here is the thing: suggesting that white leads will appeal to more people than non-white leads is pretty racist.

Here is the other thing: I think I'd be more interested in White Guilt in Asia: The TV Series if we've had even one single Asian hero in the literal entirety of all MCU movies and shows so far.

:buddy:

edit: Well, I take that last part back. Forgot about Agents of SHIELD which means that I am probably the real racist.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 14, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh God everyone shut up about Iron Fist's potential casting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Everything was going so great and then the last half hour of the last episode happened. Such a paint-by-numbers ending.

Also the costume sucks. Gimme back the black t-shirt over his head any day.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

dj_clawson posted:

Can I confess that even though I've read all of Daredevil through 2013, it was binge-reading and I couldn't keep track of the 8,000 Marvel characters who wandered into the comic over the years? I thought I would be good on references in this thread, but I'm not.

The fanfic out there is really hosed up, too. You have to know every character ever, then imagine them all genderbent, blind, living in a hospital, and also they're all gay.

Why are you reading Daredevil Fanfic?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Steve Yun posted:

Everything was going so great and then the last half hour of the last episode happened. Such a paint-by-numbers ending.

The worst part about the costume is how much is squashes Charlie Cox's face together. It makes him look really goofy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think Daredevil's ponytail mask is waay better looking than his devil mask, but I am comforted by the fact that Ironfist'll have a similar ponytail mask.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
edit: didn't see the modpost

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drifter posted:

I think Daredevil's ponytail mask is waay better looking than his devil mask, but I am comforted by the fact that Ironfist'll have a similar ponytail mask.

The proto-bandanna mask with the upgraded suit would have been sweet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

it was good enough for Zorro

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Steve Yun posted:

Objection, 'the last half hour' includes the always hilarious and fun 'scumbags getting arrested by the FBI while opera plays' montage and I won't have that smeared.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, the last 25 minutes then

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I feel like the face portion of the costume is still awkwardly pouty for some reason, but I do like how it all looks as a whole. The one thing, though, is that it's pretty immediately obvious that the suit does restrict his movements a lot more than the turtleneck and sweatpants. Hopefully they'll work on that a bit for the second season.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, the last 25 minutes then

I genuinely like the end. It's exactly as cliche as you'd expect of course but I dunno, Fisk's final speech, the great fight, the general satisfaction of it not ending on some grim dark note and instead 'yea gently caress that fat turd we won', they did good with a cliche.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I genuinely like the end. It's exactly as cliche as you'd expect of course but I dunno, Fisk's final speech, the great fight, the general satisfaction of it not ending on some grim dark note and instead 'yea gently caress that fat turd we won', they did good with a cliche.

I have a feeling that the director is a HUGE fan of The Dark Knight. Sure, it's the greatest comic book movie of all time, but he was practically outright stealing from it with the music and the dead cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dj_clawson posted:

I have a feeling that the director is a HUGE fan of The Dark Knight. Sure, it's the greatest comic book movie of all time, but he was practically outright stealing from it with the music and the dead cops.

Counterpoint (I'm defending a scene I thought was ok way too hard), the paddy wagon raid was a very fast 'realistic' (for a comic book) scene rather than a twenty minute rocket launcher chase. It was just a really great speech followed by "WOOPS IT'S ARMED GOON TIME"

That said yea, very clear 'hey guys Batman was cool, right, Daredevil's like Batman!' moment there. There were others but that was probably the most blatant.

Have they talked season 2 at all? It feels like this was made to be a one and done thing but since nearly everyone is saying 'holy poo poo this is great' I could see them doing a second. Maybe get Elektra in the mix and redeem THAT terrible movie for a full circle?