Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I wish inflatable pads weren't so heavy. I use a foam Thermarest pad which weighs 14 oz, and it doesn't look like I'd save much weight moving to inflatable, though not having to carry a big rolled-up pad is nice of course.

Shop by R-value. But yes, inflatable will be heavier than foam for the same R-value. If anyone knows of an exception to that, :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

cheese posted:

Its time to stop bumming a gear setup for this summer. I'm a side sleeping 6'2"/220lbs and looking for an inflatable pad. The reviews all seem to point me towards either the Neoair Xtherm or the Big Anges Q Core SL. This thread seems to love them both, so a couple of questions.
1) Is the noise of the Xtherm really an issue?
2) Is the extra weight of the Big Agnes worth the jump to 3.5 inches or will I be fine with the 2.5 of the Xtherm?

I'd like to buy one tonight with the 20% off REI members coupon, send help!

I've got the XTherm and I love it.

1) I don't find the noise to be an issue at all, but I can imagine it might be for very light sleepers. If you can check a display model out in person, I think you'll be able to make a determination on that very quickly.

2) I side sleep a lot as well and 2.5" of thickness has been plenty for me. Granted, I weigh about 50 pounds less than you, but I really doubt you'll bottom out as long as you've sufficiently inflated the pad. I think the horizontal baffling style helps with this.

At your height, you might want to go with the large, especially if you back sleep at all. The extra width is key for back sleeping.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Thanks for the feedback. Will REI let me lay on both? :D

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Keldoclock posted:

Shop by R-value. But yes, inflatable will be heavier than foam for the same R-value. If anyone knows of an exception to that, :justpost:

This is definitely not the case for high-end inflatables. The R-values of the XTherm and Q-Core are a lot higher than those of foam pads for a very small weight difference. Price and reliability are where foam pads shine.

For example:
XTherm, regular size (inflatable): R-value 5.7, 15 oz
Z Lite Sol, regular size (foam): R-value 2.6, 14 oz

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 13, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Feedbacker posted:

This is definitely not the case for high-end inflatables. The R-values for the XTherm and Q-Core are a lot higher than those of foam pads for a very small weight difference. The real tradeoff is price and reliability.

Exactly. Especially in winter conditions, an inflatable will be warmer than a foam. That being said a tiny rip will ruin your day with an inflatable while foams are unkillable. Without generalizing too much, if you can sleep comfortably on both then foams are better over all for 3 season and inflatable or inflatable + thin foam for winter. If you're in a very wet cold area consider inflatable year round.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Feedbacker posted:

This is definitely not the case for high-end inflatables. The R-values of the XTherm and Q-Core are a lot higher than those of foam pads for a very small weight difference. Price and reliability are where foam pads shine.

For example:
XTherm, regular size (inflatable): R-value 5.7, 15 oz
Z Lite Sol, regular size (foam): R-value 2.6, 14 oz

Ah, fascinating. I was just repeating what I had heard on the rest of the internet; personally I have only ever used cheap blue foam, GG NiteLites, and ancient self-inflating cheap Thermarests, which did not really seem superior to me.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does the Big Agnes Q-Core SL have side bumpers (for lack of a better term) that help keep you from rolling off the pad? Or is that just the Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Didn't get too many pictures, but here's a few from backpacking Caesar Creek this weekend:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Can anyone recommend some specific brands/models for some hiking boots? I'm looking more towards hiking boots than backpacking boots. I'd like something that I could use in warm and coldish weather.

I have absolutely zero gear and would like to get into some real beginner poo poo this year with the ultimate goal of maybe doing some overnights eventually.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There are dozens of brands. Go see what your local store has in stock and find one that fits your feet. I like Salewa.

cheese posted:

If they don't let you lay on the pad to try it out before you buy it, then they're a poo poo store that doesn't deserve your business.

Edit: and r-value is nice, but for me I tend to care more about cushion.

vvv Well, duh. That's the whole point of r-value. I'm just saying that it's not the only thing; I personally find cushion to be more important because that's what's more likely to wake me up, even when I'm winter camping. vvv

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 13, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
REI usually has a whole bunch of test pads already inflated for people to try out and if they don't have the model you wanted to try you can probably convince them to do something

r-value is pretty handy when it starts getting to around freezing because it sucks to have a nice warm sleeping bag and have all of your heat leeched away from the ground

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dreesemonkey posted:

Can anyone recommend some specific brands/models for some hiking boots? I'm looking more towards hiking boots than backpacking boots. I'd like something that I could use in warm and coldish weather.

I have absolutely zero gear and would like to get into some real beginner poo poo this year with the ultimate goal of maybe doing some overnights eventually.

Decide if you need a boot or if a trail runner would suffice. Trail runners are much lighter and usually drain/dry/breathe much better than most boots but they lack the support in a higher ankle boot which may or may not be needed based on your use.

Some of the most popular that I've seen from this thread and other related are Merrell Moab. They are made in low ankle and mid ankle options, breathable and goretex and waterproof options. They feature a vibram sole and run around $100 and can be found just about everywhere. I've loved my pair and I see tons of people on the trails with them as well. There are literally tons of options though so find something that fits your foot and feels comfortable. I try not to stick to specific brands and instead go with something that feels good on my foot and doesn't weigh a ton. In the future I would avoid waterproof boots and opt for something more breathable. Shoes will always get wet so something that vents and dries out faster is more ideal for me than something that takes forever.

cheese posted:

Yes they will. The advantage of REI being one of the bigger stores is that they usually allow you to try things in store and are generally very helpful. They usually have a ton of sample pads already inflated and available to try. As far as the big agnes Q core though ... changed my life. I almost feel guilty for having such a plush pad but when I wake up in the morning fully rested and not having woken up once, I don't even remotely feel bad about it.

Verman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 13, 2015

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

You guys are probably sick of me posting links to various Indefinitely Wild pages, but here's another one that I think hits right on the question you are asking:

What's Better For Hiking? Boots vs Trail Runners vs Approach Shoes

As far as general hiking boots go, I've always been a Lowa fan. I spend about $300 on a pair and I they usually last me four or five years as my daily wear shoes even when I'm at work and not out on the trails. I used to use the Lowa Tanark, but now I use the Lowa Renegade GTX

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I probably should have been more specific, I guess. I live in central PA so I'll most likely be dealing with some water and rocks at some point. I think I would like something that has some ankle support, but again I'm not sure. I guess I could just go around to some stores to see what I like.

Hungryjack posted:

You guys are probably sick of me posting links to various Indefinitely Wild pages, but here's another one that I think hits right on the question you are asking:

What's Better For Hiking? Boots vs Trail Runners vs Approach Shoes

As far as general hiking boots go, I've always been a Lowa fan. I spend about $300 on a pair and I they usually last me four or five years as my daily wear shoes even when I'm at work and not out on the trails. I used to use the Lowa Tanark, but now I use the Lowa Renegade GTX

Thanks for the like. I've seen lowa's before, I don't think I can justify $300 right off the bat though ;)

Verman posted:

Decide if you need a boot or if a trail runner would suffice. Trail runners are much lighter and usually drain/dry/breathe much better than most boots but they lack the support in a higher ankle boot which may or may not be needed based on your use.

Some of the most popular that I've seen from this thread and other related are Merrell Moab. They are made in low ankle and mid ankle options, breathable and goretex and waterproof options. They feature a vibram sole and run around $100 and can be found just about everywhere. I've loved my pair and I see tons of people on the trails with them as well. There are literally tons of options though so find something that fits your foot and feels comfortable. I try not to stick to specific brands and instead go with something that feels good on my foot and doesn't weigh a ton. In the future I would avoid waterproof boots and opt for something more breathable. Shoes will always get wet so something that vents and dries out faster is more ideal for me than something that takes forever.

Thanks for the information. The one person I've talked to who hikes himself says I definitely want something waterproof, but again I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check into the Merrell's.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I personally don't like waterproof shoes because they never dry out. I much prefer trail runners such as Brooks Cascadias but I also travel light so I don't need a super sturdy sole. If I do get my feet wet, the shoes dry out in a few hours as opposed to water proof shoes which will still be wet the next morning.

If the trail is going to be a complete mud pit the whole way I guess I'd rather have boots over shoes but I'd probably just pick a different trail if that were the case. Or wear Keens and not give a poo poo.

Shoe preferences are extremely personal though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah its sort of what I was trying to get at in my previous post. My goretex boots are great for short showers, dew, small puddles and they keep the water out very well to my surprise but if you're hiking all day in constant rain your feet are just going to get wet no matter what you wear shy of knee high rubber boots. The other thing is that the membrane which keeps them waterproof also prevents them from draining so if the water gets in, it stays in and gets sloshy = heavy. They also take a while to dry compared to more breathable shoes. If I were to recommend a boot, it would be the Merrell Moab Ventilator vs the goretex/waterproof varieties.

Like I said, knowing that your feet will almost always get wet regardless of the waterproof claims its almost better to accept it and get a shoe/boot that will dry faster. Most goretex/waterproof boots take forever to dry and even though the next day might be warm and sunny, your boots could still be wet from the day before. That is totally for summer/fall boots where the weather isn't frostbite teritorry. I would definitely want waterproof boots if I'm expecting snow.

Just my 2¢

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Also in my experience, goretex inevitably gets a hole or tear in it and then you're screwed, you can't see it or fix it because the goretex membrane is hidden inside the shoe. I've gone through several pairs of goretex shoes/boots, always ending in leaky frustration long before it should, and I'm officially done with it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

alnilam posted:

Also in my experience, goretex inevitably gets a hole or tear in it and then you're screwed, you can't see it or fix it because the goretex membrane is hidden inside the shoe. I've gone through several pairs of goretex shoes/boots, always ending in leaky frustration long before it should, and I'm officially done with it.

I've kinda heard this about them too. I don't hike a ton in really wet areas though so it has never been a huge problem for me. A couple of years ago in the Winds it was a bit rainy and a couple of days I had to push through some wet brush and it kind of sucked to have my feet wet through a lot of that but things dried out well enough. If I knew that it was going to be so wet my stuff wouldn't have a chance to dry out I'd be more worried about getting something that's water proof to start with, but I've hiked for a day in wet shoes and it wasn't a big deal

Shreks hot knob
Sep 4, 2007
We swearsss it!
I normally use a tarp for shelter but with it coming into winter I'm looking to make the leap into a bivvy of some sort. Initially I figured I could just get a lightweight bivvy sack and put it under my tarp but I am becoming more excited by the idea of getting a hooped bivvy for the extra room and more complete shelter it offers. Two of the main contenders I am considering are:

Borah Gear Snowyside eVent

Uber Bivy

I'm leaning more towards the Uber Bivy because it's massive for one person and only slightly heavier at 730g so I could maybe use it as my only shelter. They also sell separately a nifty lightpole feature where one of the poles lights up which sounds like something I may want to look into instead of carrying a lantern.

Has anyone here done much camping in a bivvy be it a sack or hooped variety? I know I'm kinda getting into niche territory here but I'm hoping there are a few of you who have tried the minimalism of a bivvy.

As a side note I find it interesting that as far as I can tell I am looking at cottage industries here because they seem to make a product as good or even better for a fraction of the price of some major manufacturers. I will have to look into this further as I upgrade my gear.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

The Precious posted:

I normally use a tarp for shelter but with it coming into winter I'm looking to make the leap into a bivvy of some sort. Initially I figured I could just get a lightweight bivvy sack and put it under my tarp but I am becoming more excited by the idea of getting a hooped bivvy for the extra room and more complete shelter it offers. Two of the main contenders I am considering are:

Borah Gear Snowyside eVent

Uber Bivy

I'm leaning more towards the Uber Bivy because it's massive for one person and only slightly heavier at 730g so I could maybe use it as my only shelter. They also sell separately a nifty lightpole feature where one of the poles lights up which sounds like something I may want to look into instead of carrying a lantern.

Has anyone here done much camping in a bivvy be it a sack or hooped variety? I know I'm kinda getting into niche territory here but I'm hoping there are a few of you who have tried the minimalism of a bivvy.

As a side note I find it interesting that as far as I can tell I am looking at cottage industries here because they seem to make a product as good or even better for a fraction of the price of some major manufacturers. I will have to look into this further as I upgrade my gear.

Oh now that looks interesting. I was considering one of OR's bivy setups, but this is definitely worth investigating.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
So I just got a call from the backcountry office in the Rockies, and I just found out that in mid-may many trails will have potentially knee high snow. Granted weather will be unpredictable at that time and we can expect anything from 70 degree weather to having to trek through 5-6 inches of snow, would backcountry camping at that time be dangerous for a group of 3 fit, but inexperienced men? We were looking forward to peaking some 13ers- would this still be possible? Is there a risk of avalanche during this period?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

lollybo posted:

So I just got a call from the backcountry office in the Rockies, and I just found out that in mid-may many trails will have potentially knee high snow. Granted weather will be unpredictable at that time and we can expect anything from 70 degree weather to having to trek through 5-6 inches of snow, would backcountry camping at that time be dangerous for a group of 3 fit, but inexperienced men? We were looking forward to peaking some 13ers- would this still be possible? Is there a risk of avalanche during this period?

Anything can be dangerous without experience so know your limits and know what to do in case of snow. Be vocal and supportive with your group and have a system for making decisions such as heading out early. If you don't know what 15* and 6" of snow feels like to hike and sleep in then stuck in a snow storm miles away from help isn't the place to find out.

Try calling the back country office a week or two from your trip and ask for some suggestions based on current conditions etc and be prepared to change plans if you have to. Certain parts of the park see more sub than others and melt quicker than those in shade. While some trails might be mostly clear at the beginning, they could still be covered in snow at points along the way. Depending on the weather it could be clear. It's the hard part of shoulder season is you just have to wait and see how it goes.

As far as peaking, I'm going to say nearly impossible at your skill level for that time of year without cramp ons, ice axes, ropes or other technical gear/skills.

As I said in a previous post, I went the same time you are looking to go and we lost the trail to waist/shoulder deep snow pack at 10.5k feet. Everything higher was white. Avalanches didn't appear to be a threat but falling through crusty snow into hidden creek was definitely possible. You might just have to plan on being flexible and hiking lower elevation trails which are no less beautiful from below than up high.

If you're ever looking to get peaks, you would want to go when conditions are as reliably nice as possible for the area which is the leak of Sumner.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 13, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

I've got a pair of full leather Lowa boots ($200)--and they are by far and away the nicest boots I've ever owned. Full grain leather boots are probably your best bet for comfort--your feet won't stew like gore tex (which is not very breathable at all), and they'll stand up to abuse for years and years (with proper care)

I've also heard trail runners are nice because less weight on your feet = less effort to walk. I'm a clutz though, so I need the ankle support--it's saved my butt more than once.

I've also got some Merell Moab Ventilators, which I wear everyday, and though I like them, they're not as breathable as a mesh trail runners (because of the padding). Nice boots, but I just wore them backpacking for the first time last weekend, accidentally stepped in a muddy puddle, and had soaked feet the rest of the trip. Won't ever wear those backpacking again.

Most importantly with boots-- DON'T WEAR THEM STANDING NEAR A FIRE.The glue will re-activate, and the sole will separate from the toe.

I call them talking boots :v:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Your ankles are supported by the muscles in that area, a little bit of leather and shoelace does nothing to prevent sprains. "Ankle support" from hiking boots is a myth. Fact.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Just got back from REI - bought the X-therm. I went in thinking I would for sure want the Big Agnes Q Core SL, but I just wasn't feeling it. I laid on them both, and when it came time to try the Big Agnes, the crisscross of the baffles felt odd and the material felt cheaper. Despite being 6'2" 220, I didn't touch the ground on my back or on my side with either pad, so the extra 1 inch of height didn't seem helpful. The crinkling didn't bother me, although the sales guy was honest and said that the sound on a new pad is going to be louder than the test pad (which a million people have laid on). He pointed out that if I wanted only one pad to do everything, the X-therm was the better choice as it was lighter with a higher R value, lighter and a small pack down size. If the the crinkling is too much, I can always bring it back. Pretty happy and with the 20% off coupon, it was like 19X bucks too.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

African AIDS cum posted:

Your ankles are supported by the muscles in that area, a little bit of leather and shoelace does nothing to prevent sprains. "Ankle support" from hiking boots is a myth. Fact.

It's true, this is why real men don't splint broken bones.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

Respectfully,
Anything in a boot that prevented sprains would be stiff like a ski boot. A little piece of leather is nothing but a placebo. If people prefer high tops because they keep gravel/sand out so be it, but the rest is fraud and lies

Here's a study on it
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072736/

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

I don't even know where to begin with the false equivalence here.

The main means by which any footwear provides "ankle support" is by having a wider, differently shaped, or possibly heavier base/sole to make it less likely that you roll your ankle on a thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have been buying Northface shoes and boots lately, they seem to be the most breathable of any waterproof shoe I have tried. I am more of a fisherman then a hiker so it is pretty much inevitable that my foot is going into water at some point and I really like having a chance of escaping soggy foot.

I bought a pair of waterproof socks that really seem to work great and kept my feet dry all winter hiking through snow, slush, and icy water. Sadly they are like $40 pair and reviews are so mixed I am scared to order another pair.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

lollybo posted:

Do you have experience with steep trails and snow? When I was there in mid may several years ago I didn't think to bring snowshoes and came close to sliding off the trail and down into gullies a few times. Add in the ungainliness of a pack and it could be a mistake. I'd honestly recommend just camping in a campground and doing dayhikes instead. You'll move much faster that way and not have to obsess about too much gear.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

African AIDS cum posted:

Respectfully,
Anything in a boot that prevented sprains would be stiff like a ski boot. A little piece of leather is nothing but a placebo. If people prefer high tops because they keep gravel/sand out so be it, but the rest is fraud and lies

Here's a study on it
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072736/

I don't see the placebo thing in that link? And considering no one in the NBA wears low tops there has to be some benefit to higher support, even if it's mental.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I don't see the placebo thing in that link? And considering no one in the NBA wears low tops there has to be some benefit to higher support, even if it's mental.

I meant to link this I think http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1959831

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The abstract says, "There was no statistically significant difference in the incidence of lateral ankle sprains between recruits who trained in modified basketball shoes or standard lightweight infantry boots". I didn't read the article but just based on this, I'm not inclined to throw around Facts based on a comparison between 1991 vintage "modified basketball shoes" and infantry boots.

I do believe, however, that supported ankles will come to rely on that support and so encourage all of my friends new to backpacking to try a lower style shoe (and break them in beforehand) to help strengthen their ankles and keep them strong.

But of course I am not a doctor so what do I know.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I've had several times where a tightly laced full boot has outright stopped my ankle from twisting enough to sprain it on a fall or stepping in an unexpected divot. No it's not foolproof, but it certainly helps.

I've sprained my ankle playing basketball, so I'm more prone to repeat injury now, hence why I take whatever precaution I can. Plus I love the grip you get from proper boots.

That being said, I think trail runners can be great. Lighter weight on your feet= lot less energy expended walking, breathability, etc. You gotta figure out what works best for you.

Here, have some science:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16558606

TL;DR
RESULTS:
The high-top shoes significantly reduced the amount and rate of inversion. The high-top shoes reduced the amount of inversion by 4.5 degrees , the maximum rate of inversion by 100.1 degrees /s, and the average rate of inversion by 73.0 degrees /s.

CONCLUSIONS:
The high-top shoes were more effective in reducing the amount and rate of inversion than the low-top shoes. Depending upon the loading conditions, high-top shoes help prevent ankle sprains.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
It's not that hard guys. Take your high or mid top leather hiking boots. Grab the sole in your left hand and the top in your right hand. Try to bend the boot side to side so it bends at the spot where your ankle would be. Is the leather stiff enough to provide any resistance? Then yes, it will help prevent ankle sprains.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Would a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers be too heavy/clunky for long distance hiking?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I've sprained the ever loving poo poo out of my ankles multiple times playing frisbee and have no problems hiking in low trail runners. Not going to say it's the same for everyone but I think the "do it once and you're more prone to it!" thing keeps some people from building their ankle strength back up because they assume they need braces and more supportive shoes all the time

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sure the weight on your back affects things too. I tend to have a really heavy pack so mentally I like having heavy high boots. I can see ultralight packs working well with trail runners too.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah that too, I'm not sure I'd use trail runners if I was hiking with a 45 lb pack all the time. At least partly because I think having a stronger and stiffer sole in those circumstances can help protect your feet more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Thoren posted:

Would a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers be too heavy/clunky for long distance hiking?

Yes.

Weight on the feet is disproportionately more exhausting than weight on the torso, because you have to swing your feet in an arc. The adage is one pound on your feet = five on your back.

Link for science!

No point in steel toed shoes for hiking unless you already have some and wanna save a few bucks till you can get some dedicated footware

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 14, 2015