Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the heat mildly cold death of bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
some say bitcoin will end in fire
some say in ice
from what i've tasted of the laffs
i don't really care as long as it stays funny

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Alan Smithee posted:

Someone explain how to me I'm not a yos og

how is babby formed

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Dr. Honked posted:

how is babby formed

they should do way instain poster

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Dr. Honked posted:

how is babby formed

i like how babby is formed

i don't like girl get pragnent

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the atm owner responds with some stellar customer service!

quote:

[–]ChrisGuzowski -3 points 48 minutes ago
Hey look I'm sorry it took so long, I had other poo poo to do and to be honest you sounded like a whiny little bitch over a small amount of money

btw, in australia this is considered good service.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
this thread about vc-funded startup 21 inc is a laffmine to which only ..! could do justice. this thread kicks the crazy up a notch.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

AlbieQuirky posted:

this thread about vc-funded startup 21 inc is a laffmine to which only ..! could do justice. this thread kicks the crazy up a notch.

i'll try

quote:

AN HTML5 ANDROID ASIC!!

i give up :rip: ...!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

quote:

[–]hotsaucejake 9 points 5 hours ago
I think they'll help devices connect to the Internet of Things. Your phone or refrigerator might be on the blockchain one day.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

quote:

[–]weissadam 17 points 3 hours ago
"Is your refrigerator running?"
| "I think so."
"Well it better run quick because I think it just bankrupted you on SatoshiDICE"
| "G%D D&%&IT... HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I HAD TO TELL THAT THING. NO MORE F&$&$! DICE!"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

also this is a thing that apparently happens if you link a xkcd comic on reddit

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

quote:

[–]amarcord 3 points 5 hours ago
How much less efficient is an ASIC miner at generating heat compared to a standard heater?
permalinksavereportgive goldreply
[–]physalisx 12 points 5 hours ago*
Compared to other heaters that rely on electricity, there wouldn't be much difference - all energy that goes in is eventually turned into heat.
But that's not the point. Revolutionizing the electrical heater industry with implemented ASICs that mine bitcoin is not going to be worth the effort. If it was, you'd fastly see an increase in difficulty that would make it not so.
I get that people think "well, you've got electrical heaters, and if you just put bitcoin miners in them, that's saving you money". But that's not true. All the cost that comes from putting a miner in such a device, also having wifi on it - which is necessary, even though otherwise totally unnecessary for a heater - is just not justified with the tiny, tiny profit from mining. You'd literally make cents (if even) in a month of continuously running your electrical heater. Something, which by the way, nobody who'd really rely on heating would do for longer periods of time, since it's very cost-inefficient compared to other methods of heating (as far as I know, everywhere). The costs to make, run, and market such devices would just never pay off.
Bitcoin mining is meant to be specialized, that's just in the nature of the thing. It's meant to be barely profitable, in optimal environments. Putting miners into everyday devices, i.e not optimal environments, is always going to be a losing business.
permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply
[–]amarcord 3 points 4 hours ago
That's all I needed to know. Thanks.
permalinksaveparentreportgive goldreply

A fairly sensible post.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

quote:

Why do you assume people would even need to know that they are running a bitcoin miner? This could be marketed as simply a "smart heater" by 21INC or whoever, that is managed via the Internet by them, thus using energy efficiently, and 21INC is subsidizing some of your costs (perhaps free installation and no upfront equipment costs.)
All of a sudden, marginal electricity costs are no longer the only or main factor determining comparitive advantage in mining. Could change the topography of the mining distribution significantly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Boxturret posted:

it's me i'm the wiki that exists just to explain "jokes"

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
http://www.theopenledger.com/9-most-famous-bitcoin-addresses/

quote:

1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa
The Genesis Address – the very first bitcoin address. It’s assumed to be controlled by Satoshi Nakamoto, although the btc has never moved. There is a technical issue that prevents the original 50 BTC from being transacted.

quote:

14rE7Jqy4a6P27qWCCsngkUfBxtevZhPHB
“French Maid” aka DEA Carl M. Force - Force, one of the DEA agents investigating the Silk Road, used an unauthorized handle named French Maid to extort bitcoin from Silk Road found Ross Ulbricht into this address, and then eventually into a personal account. Blockhead Force was eventually caught and indicted.

The investigation involving this address showcased the amazing detective work on the blockchain by Special Agent Tigran Gambaryan of the IRS Special Investigations and showed that in conjunction with other information the blockchain can be used as strong tool for law enforcement to trace transactions. In this case, the Special Agent knew the amount that was transacted because of an unencrypted email between Ulricht and French Maid. Then he was able to trace this amount backward from a personal account of Force’s.

Total Received: 770 BTC

Current Balance: 0 BTC

Notable Transactions: all BTC were eventually transferred into a personal account of Force’s at the CampBX exchange.

quote:

1GBwk2YJMDFqSVhTKygH8zUwV7jdoJhHHH
Bloomberg Reporter Gets his BTC pinched on TV – this made national news when Bloomberg TV’s Matt Miller flashed the QR code and private key of his bitcoin address to the camera. A keen redditor ‘milkywaymasta’ took a freeze of the image, scanned the QR code and extracted the funds to his own address. He then posted the details of his maneuver on Reddit and offered to return the btc if Miller gave him a new address, which he did.

This was an important event as it showed the importance of keeping a private key secure, the ignorance of this by the general public, the ease at which btc can be swiped, and perhaps the most inspiring, the good will of a member of the bitcoin community for taking the btc and returning it to showcase all of these points.

Total Received: 0.02930731 BTC

Current Balance: 0 BTC

Notable Transactions: 0.02910731 BTC to milkywaymasta’s 1GkBw2o1ZeqsrbtVNbuBiqfoWd95Q2s6Ku and then later transferred to another address controlled by Miller.

quote:

1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf
Bitstamp Hacked – a hacker or team of hackers began transferring funds from Bitstamp hot wallets on January 5th, 2015 into this address. In total, the heist netted over 19,000BTC. Although there had been major hacks in the past, this incident was significant if only for the fact that Bitstamp remained solvent and fulfilled all of their financial commitments to their customers

Total Received: 19,943.19478503 BTC

Current Balance: 3.53706537 BTC

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

use blockchain technology to support "the internet of things."

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dren fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 14, 2015

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol how can you be a part of the bitcoin community and think there's any profit to be made selling things to that group of insufferable tightwads?

also lol at "photography studio and coffee shop" because she's apparently 11 and does that thing where she haphazardly combines two things she likes into a business

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It gets worse if you read her site. She flat out says she'll work for next to nothing.

Here's her wallet address which actually has some Bitcoin in it. https://blockchain.info/address/1H2YfY4xCVsvmEL6wZeEt9vc8Soqq7d6Cw

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

google gives me four results for "photography studio and coffee shop", one of which is her link

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

bitcoin balances go down down down!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

GOD DAMNIT I SAID CLAP FOR TINKERBELL

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Boxturret posted:

this was one of the first things i banned from r/buttcoin

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
can Bitcoin really be called deflationary anymore? it hasn't been gaining any value for a while now

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

unpacked robinhood posted:

the heat mildly cold death of bitcoin
the heatstroke death of bitcoin

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

killhamster posted:

this was one of the first things i banned from r/buttcoin

would you ban the same bot if it linked to goatkcd?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

hu-mour dot json crashed (broken pipe)

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Boxturret posted:

i mean, i am one of those horrid goobers who gets a chuckle out of some xkcd

but come on
why

to what end was this made

loving reddit

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
no more loans appear to be getting approved or reviewed. i am still waiting for my 60k to be approved--which is like nearly 15% of their holdings

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

OSI bean dip posted:

no more loans appear to be getting approved or reviewed. i am still waiting for my 60k to be approved--which is like nearly 15% of their holdings

if i'm reading his post history right, he hasn't approved or even replied to any loan requests since yesterday. that didn't last long.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Another honest bitnessman brought low by butters

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

quote:

with bitcoins you get to stare at some numbers on your computer screen as you lose your money ...

the cool thing about dollars is if you light them on fire and burn them , you get heat as you lose your money ...

they can also be used for paper machet , toilet paper , or as something to write on ...

and if you're the creative type you can make origami or a paper airplane ...

plus you can roll them into a straw for doing coke off of hookers ...

there's literally hundreds of uses for them !

also ... yknow ... they're accepted as legal tender everywhere in the u.s. and most other countries , can be sent anywhere on earth with relative ease and minimal expense , don't fluctuate wildly in value , can't be hacked out of your federally insured bank account or out of your safe welded into the floor of your garage , and haven't lost 82% of their value in a little over a year ...

gently caress this loving pyramid ...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg11077465#msg11077465

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That's where you post the suicide hotline.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

also lol at "photography studio and coffee shop" because she's apparently 11 and does that thing where she haphazardly combines two things she likes into a business

tbf, here in london you can find any amount of wanky coffee shops with some other random function shoehorned in

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Amphigory posted:

tbf, here in london you can find any amount of wanky coffee shops with some other random function shoehorned in
St. Louis has an 18+ coffee shop/adult library called Shameless Grounds.

quote:

Does your love life fall “outside the box”? Maybe you’re a guy who likes guys, or a girl who likes girls. Or maybe you like both. Maybe a firm hand and a riding crop are the things that reliably take you to your happy place. Maybe you aren’t chained to one spot on the gender or orientation spectrums. Maybe you don’t consider monogamy to be the only realistic option. Or maybe none of these applies to you right now, but you’re curious and you want to learn, and to hang out with like-minded individuals.
We get it.

That “box” we fall outside of is tiny. It’s cramped and confined, and when you think about it, it’s always been a myth.

The desires of most people fall outside of that box in one way or another. Almost everybody likes at least a few sprinkles with their vanilla. People like us, we make up the vast sexual majority. And we think it’s about time somebody created a warm, open, public place that calls shenanigans on the entire “box” paradigm. We’re going to be working hard to make Shameless Grounds a place like that.
You can check out books and magazines from their adult library. If you don't return them, they put your picture up on the wall with the title of whatever you borrowed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gobbeldygook posted:

St. Louis has an 18+ coffee shop/adult library called Shameless Grounds.

You can check out books and magazines from their adult library. If you don't return them, they put your picture up on the wall with the title of whatever you borrowed.

Do you really really want them back?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Alan Smithee posted:

Do you really really want them back?

lol I remember reading about some tests done on a bunch of 2nd-hand '50 Shades' books, and they were covered in all manner of awfulness.

I suppose if you're a lady you can kill two birds with one stone by not needing to lick a finger to turn the page :o:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
An Arizona man who goes by the handle "Bitcoin Baron" on Twitter — a name linked to a hacker who took credit for shutting down the city of Columbia's website in December — has been arrested in Arizona for felony computer tampering there.

Randall Tucker, of Apache Junction, Ariz., was arrested Thursday, according to Officer Tim Case, spokesman for the Arizona Department of Public Safety. He was being held without bond in the Pinal County Jail. His next court date is set for April 20. Case said Tucker uses the Bitcoin Baron handle online.
Tucker, Randall.jpg

News station ABC15 Arizona reports Tucker was jailed on a charge of computer tampering for allegedly hacking into Arizona government agency websites.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
whats a pinal county

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

ayn rand hand job posted:

An Arizona man who goes by the handle "Bitcoin Baron" on Twitter — a name linked to a hacker who took credit for shutting down the city of Columbia's website in December — has been arrested in Arizona for felony computer tampering there.

Randall Tucker, of Apache Junction, Ariz., was arrested Thursday, according to Officer Tim Case, spokesman for the Arizona Department of Public Safety. He was being held without bond in the Pinal County Jail. His next court date is set for April 20. Case said Tucker uses the Bitcoin Baron handle online.
Tucker, Randall.jpg

News station ABC15 Arizona reports Tucker was jailed on a charge of computer tampering for allegedly hacking into Arizona government agency websites.

how did he get fatter in prison

• Locked thread