Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Matt goes to the priest for guidance and advice, not just for confession. That's why they switched to having lattes rather than sitting in the booth. And regardless, there can be plenty of conversation during confession as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I feel like their first scene was the only confession really. From then on it seemed that Matt was done seeking confession because he had committed to being the Mask. From then on his chats seemed more about understanding the morality of his choices than seeking atonement for them. I can't remember it all particularly well but the priest did say he'd put 2+2 together with the mask and Matt didn't he?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

You do know that Batman Year was written by Frank Miller and before that he wrote Daredevil? The show was mostly based off that run.

Sure sure, but there was stuff in Year One that I don't remember in Miller's Daredevil run that was in this show, like him being surrounded by the cops in the derelict building

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

dj_clawson posted:

Wasn't a big fan of the priest scenes, though. The thing about confession is, I believe, that you do more talking than the priest does. Except for the first scene, he really just shows up and gets a lecture. You can't be absolved unless you confess, right? Why do I know more about Catholicism than Matt, and I'm not Christian?

He's only in confession once, at the start. And no, confession can be a conversation or lecture.

The rest of the time he's discussing matters of faith and guilt and doubt and worry for his soul. He asks if the Devil is real or a concept. Matt is trying to convince himself that damning his soul to kill the Devil is necessary. He's not confessing, he's looking for guidance and answers.

Then we see that he realizes that he can't be a good man to himself or his friends if he has murder in his heart. But Matt was never looking for absolution, I think. He just didn't know if killing Fisk was the only way to stop him, and if he could handle that burden.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Maluco Marinero posted:

I feel like their first scene was the only confession really. From then on it seemed that Matt was done seeking confession because he had committed to being the Mask. From then on his chats seemed more about understanding the morality of his choices than seeking atonement for them. I can't remember it all particularly well but the priest did say he'd put 2+2 together with the mask and Matt didn't he?

Yeah, near the end of the series the priest basically goes "I'm not an idiot, Matthew."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Sure sure, but there was stuff in Year One that I don't remember in Miller's Daredevil run that was in this show, like him being surrounded by the cops in the derelict building

Difference being Batman's had to take the whole squad out and (I think) keep them all alive. Daredevil just snuck away after fighting two of them.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I'm curious if Daredevil and the Agents of SHIELD team were aware that they would both have fights with a guy wielding a knife-chain. I wouldn't exactly call it a common kind of fight scene, but I'm guessing it was just a really funny coincidence.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PunkBoy posted:

I'm curious if Daredevil and the Agents of SHIELD team were aware that they would both have fights with a guy wielding a knife-chain. I wouldn't exactly call it a common kind of fight scene, but I'm guessing it was just a really funny coincidence.

It's always seemed to me knives-on-chains are of the most common of movie ninja-fight weapons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a level 10 ninja weapon though. Anyone who can do that and make it look easy, is some sort of motherfucker.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series

Huh. Somehow, Daredevil hit #3 on the 'highest rated TV show with over 5000 reviews' on IMDB. I doubt it'll stay THAT high, but it's still pretty drat impressive - I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed on the top 10 for a long time, honestly.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Wolpertinger posted:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series

Huh. Somehow, Daredevil hit #3 on the 'highest rated TV show with over 5000 reviews' on IMDB. I doubt it'll stay THAT high, but it's still pretty drat impressive - I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed on the top 10 for a long time, honestly.

I feel like that always happens. It's why The Dark Knight was (and maybe still is) in the top 10 of all movies ever. Voluntary response from nerds who really want to make a point about their preferred media.

Don't get me wrong, Daredevil is a great show. But the third greatest show ever? Sure, ok.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's how Sherlock is better than Sopranos :ughh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

-Vondie Curtis-Hall is great as Ben Urich, even if the "print journalism good, Internet bad" poo poo would have been embarrassingly dated a half-decade ago.

Didn't Doris actually encourage Ben to go out and use the internet to spread his story when the Bulletin refused to run it? That doesn't really jive with 'internet bad' at all-the only reason it didn't actually work was because Fisk showed up and murdered him (which arguably wouldn't have happened before he could get the story out if he'd not gone to the Bulletin first where the mole could figure out what happened-I don't think Fisk found out about the visit to the nursing home from his mother).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't Doris actually encourage Ben to go out and use the internet to spread his story when the Bulletin refused to run it? That doesn't really jive with 'internet bad' at all-the only reason it didn't actually work was because Fisk showed up and murdered him (which arguably wouldn't have happened before he could get the story out if he'd not gone to the Bulletin first where the mole could figure out what happened-I don't think Fisk found out about the visit to the nursing home from his mother).

Yea, Fisk only found out about Ben's visit from his mole in The Bulletin - it's why he had to ask if Ben went there alone. I assume Barry Convex was referring to Ben's attitude regarding internet journalism though, not the show's as a whole. It's just, Ben is essentially the sole view in to journalism so he tends to eclipse any others that pop up occasionally. It's definitely an intentionally crotchety view however, because he's the old and set in his ways avatar of a dying medium.

I would assume that, if there is a second season Karen would take over his role in the story and become the dogged journalist tracking down a story because both Ben and his wife note on multiple occasions that she has the persistence and desire for it, just not the skill as of yet. Plus, making her the younger and more open-minded avatar of internet journalism gives her something to actually do in a second season beyond be Nelson and Murdock's secretary or a love interest for Matt, which wouldn't give her much to do on it's own.

Also, I really hope season two has a bit more focus on the lawyer aspect of Daredevil's character. In thinking about it, I'm pretty sure Foggy and him only appeared in court all of once in the entire season, which is kind of a shame. I don't know that a 13 episode season is really enough to fit in much in the way of courtroom drama though given how much screen time all the other elements need, which is kind of a shame as it could be really interesting if there was more of it and help give the show something more to set it apart from other superhero shows. Not that it really needs setting apart I suppose, I just want more courtroom stuff in the show at the end of the day.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 14, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's how Sherlock is better than Sopranos :ughh:

Tony Soprano didn't have Cumberbitches

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I think showing him more courtroom only really makes sense in a 'I'm not Daredevil' type storyline. If they were doing a 'villain of the week' kind of approach like a 24 episode series I could see it but I don't really see where there is so much room. It's better for it to be rare and have real impact (like with the events in this series) than get into a situation where he is in court and you're waiting for him to hurry up and get back to punching ninjas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

I thought Saint Matthew would be a interesting saint but no he's the patron saint of bankers.

Civil servants too which is appropriate.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, near the end of the series the priest basically goes "I'm not an idiot, Matthew."

The priest talks about how people in the area still remembering Jack Murdock and Matt even says they attended this church when he was a kid. I think Matt knew full well what church he was going to and what priest would be there. Hell that priest might've given him Last Rites at the hospital if things were touch and go at one point.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Fair point, but both Urich's editor and Fisk articulate similar sentiments.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're all old.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

notthegoatseguy posted:

The priest talks about how people in the area still remembering Jack Murdock and Matt even says they attended this church when he was a kid. I think Matt knew full well what church he was going to and what priest would be there. Hell that priest might've given him Last Rites at the hospital if things were touch and go at one point.

I think that was a nun.

I also assume that if they ever do a Shield/Daredevil crossover, it will involves Matt and Creel.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 14, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Aphrodite posted:

They're all old.

Fisk isn't, not any older than Karen at least, but he is someone who doesn't want to believe that criticism can touch him so it makes sense he looks down on it. He looks down on the news full stop, partially because he's bought off any outlets he feels are relevant to him to ensure he's unlikely to be affected but also because he probably believes that print papers are old and dying, television is too focused on glamour (he talks about people being distracted by Hollywood at one point if I recall) and internet news is too young and to him, not credible enough, both because he's not been touched by it or had to buy it off and because he hasn't had any reason to pay attention to it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think this is a dumb argument but just a tick: are you saying Karen Page and Wilson Fisk are the same age?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

tsob posted:

Fisk isn't, not any older than Karen at least

Fisk is in his 50s isn't he?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

He was 12 in the seventies, so yes, at least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mikeraskol posted:

He would have to be actually yea, given his flashback. My bad. I assumed he was a similar age to Matt, who would be a similar age to Karen without thinking about it, just because there's so much similarity between the two.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

tsob posted:

He would have to be actually yea, given his flashback. My bad. I assumed he was a similar age to Matt, who would be a similar age to Karen without thinking about it, just because there's so much similarity between the two.

There is also the two decades between the actors ages.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Little niggle here: Foggy and Murdoch were freshroom roommates in UNDERGRAD at Columbia, but in the flashback Foggy is clearly registering for classes in 2010. That means they got through four years of undergrad, however long law school takes (gotta be 3 years), interned for probably a year, and passed the bar exam in five years. Which is impossible.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 14, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Law school takes 3 years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

Little niggle here: Foggy and Murdoch were freshroom roommates in UNDERGRAD at Columbia, but in the flashback Foggy is clearly registering for classes in 2010. That means they got through four years of undergrad, however long law school takes (gotta be at least 4 years), interned for probably a year, and passed the bar exam in five years. Which is impossible.

Law school if you go full time is 3 years. They were also going to be offered the job at the firm so that could have been during their last semester of law school.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Did they put the date on the screen or something? I thought Drops of Jupiter playing was meant to indicate it took place in 2001.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

WickedHate posted:

Did they put the date on the screen or something? I thought Drops of Jupiter playing was meant to indicate it took place in 2001.

Yes, it was on Foggy's laptop on the registration screen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

Also, I really hope season two has a bit more focus on the lawyer aspect of Daredevil's character. In thinking about it, I'm pretty sure Foggy and him only appeared in court all of once in the entire season, which is kind of a shame. I don't know that a 13 episode season is really enough to fit in much in the way of courtroom drama though given how much screen time all the other elements need, which is kind of a shame as it could be really interesting if there was more of it and help give the show something more to set it apart from other superhero shows. Not that it really needs setting apart I suppose, I just want more courtroom stuff in the show at the end of the day.

She's a secretary/legal assistant/private investigator/other duties as assigned at the firm. The only reason she isn't in the courtroom with Matt and Foggy is because she doesn't have a law degree. She's essentially a 3rd partner in the business venture at this point.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

tsob posted:

I would assume that, if there is a second season Karen would take over his role in the story and become the dogged journalist tracking down a story because both Ben and his wife note on multiple occasions that she has the persistence and desire for it, just not the skill as of yet. Plus, making her the younger and more open-minded avatar of internet journalism gives her something to actually do in a second season beyond be Nelson and Murdock's secretary or a love interest for Matt, which wouldn't give her much to do on it's own.

Noooooo! We don't need another show to utilize the "hot female friend who is an internet blogger" trope. I think every super hero show ever has had one (except Agent Carter, naturally). Surely, the writers can be tasked to give her more to do than just be that or a damsel in distress.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

bobkatt013 posted:

Law school if you go full time is 3 years. They were also going to be offered the job at the firm so that could have been during their last semester of law school.

Yeah, the time works if you assume Matt and Foggy moved in together during their last year of undergrad. I'm not sure what school they went to, but some have on campus housing beyond freshman year. With their boasting of graduating with honors, it might have been some sort of honors dorm.

Graduated undergrad in 2011, graduated from law school and pass the bar in 2014. Intern for a year during this time and start their business in late 2014, early 2015.

The question might be how long time actually spans within the series itself. They filmed in summer to fall of last year, and you see that change within the series itself, as the funeral scene at the end is visibly cold. Does it span late 2014? Or does it actually run throughout 2015?

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 14, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Ballz posted:

Noooooo! We don't need another show to utilize the "hot female friend who is an internet blogger" trope. I think every super hero show ever has had one (except Agent Carter, naturally). Surely, the writers can be tasked to give her more to do than just be that or a damsel in distress.

Why would she need to be a blogger? She's done nothing up until now that has been blogger-worthy, instead doing hard research and investigating. Why would you assume that would change?

She'd been very proactive in finding things out, instead of having those facts arrive on her doorstep.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As long as she stays interesting and keeps knocking her scenes out of the park, she could drive a forklift. I don't care.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rocksicles posted:

As long as she stays interesting and keeps knocking her scenes out of the park, she could drive a forklift. I don't care.

Yea she rules, I don't care what 'trope' she's filling she loving wrecked it. It's like how I don't care that for the entire last three episodes Fisk was a more generic 'I've been shown as smart and collected this whole show but now that some things are going bad I'm getting erratic and sloppy even though my one adviser I respect has been telling me 'get sloppy and you will die in this lifestyle' kind of thing. He did it really fuckin well so it's really hard to get upset about tropes and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's impossible not to be a trope because they went ahead and made avoiding tropes a trope.