Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can I get some help identifying a band? I'm fairly sure they were Californian, and pretty obscure; started in the 1980s and recorded through to the 1990s before they split. There's one album cover of theirs which I distinctly remember as having either a red or orange background with these kind of line-drawing, political cartoon caricatures of Carter, Reagan, Bush and possibly Clinton all dressed as cowboys with ten-gallon hats and six-shooters. Name might have started with an "L"?

Not sure if they're necessarily even ska, to be honest. Ring any bells for anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Jeff invites underage girls backstage too?

Isn't that an accusation that is put to, like, every band?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Isn't that an accusation that is put to, like, every band?

No. I dunno what kind of music you listen to, but no

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Fateo McMurray posted:

Jeff invites underage girls backstage too?

You're taking your dislike of the guy this far?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

nerve posted:

You're taking your dislike of the guy this far?

No I'm insulting Tomas

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Shabadu posted:

impossible, jeff puts out new music

Tomas puts out new music. He puts out new versions of "Dear Sergio" all the time.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
We were all fools to think that 99SOR wouldn't actually end up being somewhere around 10

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

I mean, Tom left to finish school, right? So I mean he's [probably] always free to join up with Catch again to live '98 over and over again.

no but seriously though Catch 22 reunion tia
e: alternatively I'm like Tom and just want a decent version of Keasbey Nights that isn't less energetic like Streetlight's was but I don't think that's possible

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

No more tours, no more shows, go to the loving studio and record something. I don't care if it's Dear Sergio on the loving kazoo

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Fateo McMurray posted:

No I'm insulting Tomas
yeah im dumb

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I guess he has to attract ladies using alternative methods since he apparently owns 1 shirt.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
1 shirt 1 hat

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been listening to Bad Manners lately. I never really got into them when I got into 2 Tone the first time, but I think they might actually have been the most "authentic" in relation to Jamaican ska. I mean, you listen to the Skatalites or Prince Buster or the old Blues Busters records, and they all have horns. The other 2 Tone bands didn't really have horns,even though they might have had a saxophone as a featured instrument; Bad Manners had a full horn section and that added something distinct to their sound. It let them do all the horn-driven numbers. I think the only contemporary band, performing at the same time to a mostly similar audience, that had a horn section to equal them might have been Dexys Midnight Runners.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You should see these guys if you can they are a hell of a good time!

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
lovely timing, but Kill Lincoln is gonna play their last show for a long time this Sunday in Brooklyn.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1571568913061734/

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

lessthankyle posted:

lovely timing, but Kill Lincoln is gonna play their last show for a long time this Sunday in Brooklyn.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1571568913061734/

I was going to drive up to NY for a business visit Monday morning, but you've given me a great reason to get up there Sunday night.

Rabin_Crabmink
Mar 23, 2001

I hate them all except Turtleface.
Jeff Rosenstock and friends put out a music video for You, In Weird Cities, which follows them around on the 5 shows in one day they did a few weeks ago. It's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbD_KegM_mQ

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Great song, great video.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i'm almost in that video like 4 times

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I know that most of you don't need any convincing, but let me tell you a story about how great a dude Jeff Rosenstock is.

For background, one of my close friends considers Jeff to be one of her heroes. His music really influenced her over the years. So anyway, she was going to have a birthday party and was unaware that her boyfriend was planning to propose to her. He wanted it to be a grand surprise so he reached out to Jeff and asked Jeff to record a video of himself playing a song. The plan was at the end of the song Jeff would be like "Turn around!!" and the boyfriend would be there with the ring to do the whole proposal thing.

Jeff, being the raddest guy alive, agreed to do it. So I was asked what my friend's favorite song would be. I wasn't 100% sure but I I figured Sanawon would be a pretty good bet. I was just afraid that Jeff wouldn't want to play a Bomb song. He did it anyway since, again, he's loving awesome.

Fast forward to last night. The video gets played and she's loving stoked because there's a personalized video from Jeff Rosenstock playing her favorite Bomb song (Turns out it is Sanawon. Nailed it). The video comes to a close with a sign that says to turn around and everyone in the video yelling for her to turn around.

So yeah, she's engaged now and Jeff helped make it happen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sanawon is like top five Bomb songs too. The chorus is like, my favorite thing Jeff's written.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ADULTS was literally my favorite album until Vacation was made because every thing he makes is better than the last thing he made but also makes everything else he's already made better at the same time and it defies logic

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

snackcakes posted:

I know that most of you don't need any convincing, but let me tell you a story about how great a dude Jeff Rosenstock is.

For background, one of my close friends considers Jeff to be one of her heroes. His music really influenced her over the years. So anyway, she was going to have a birthday party and was unaware that her boyfriend was planning to propose to her. He wanted it to be a grand surprise so he reached out to Jeff and asked Jeff to record a video of himself playing a song. The plan was at the end of the song Jeff would be like "Turn around!!" and the boyfriend would be there with the ring to do the whole proposal thing.

Jeff, being the raddest guy alive, agreed to do it. So I was asked what my friend's favorite song would be. I wasn't 100% sure but I I figured Sanawon would be a pretty good bet. I was just afraid that Jeff wouldn't want to play a Bomb song. He did it anyway since, again, he's loving awesome.

Fast forward to last night. The video gets played and she's loving stoked because there's a personalized video from Jeff Rosenstock playing her favorite Bomb song (Turns out it is Sanawon. Nailed it). The video comes to a close with a sign that says to turn around and everyone in the video yelling for her to turn around.

So yeah, she's engaged now and Jeff helped make it happen.

This is loving amazing.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Does anyone have the link to the birthday or graduation party Jeff Rosenstock played with a group of Long Islanders? There were a ton of cover songs, a bunch of phony cover songs of Green Day and the Used... I think maybe it's on snevesneve somewhere but it's not in the BTMI or ASOB directory

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Is that the one where they covered Timberwolves at New Jersey? Because I have that track and it owns

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
http://snevesneve.com/jaytea/thepascalparty/split/

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Every couple months I remember that the pascal party recordings exists, and it never ceases to be great.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Hell yeah, thanks!!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dandy Kaiser posted:

ADULTS was literally my favorite album until Vacation was made because every thing he makes is better than the last thing he made but also makes everything else he's already made better at the same time and it defies logic

I've been swerving between Adults, Vacation, and Get Warmer as my favorites for the last while. Get Warmer I wasn't super hot on for a long time, but right around the time I started getting ready to uproot my life I started listening to it and poo poo like Bike Test and 493 Ruth and the title track grew on me and now it's tied for first.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Adults should be everyone's favorite because it's the only one that's good

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Scrambles and Get Warmer are the most fun

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm unfamiliar with the musician you're all talking about, so I must ask a) what sort of style does he have; and b) where would be a good place to start if I wanted to listen to him?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

I dunno why, but To Leave or Die in Long Island has a special place in my heart.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vacation is the best imo.

:colbert:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They all own Jeff owns

Get Warmer is the most "ska", TLODOLI and AMB are the most :rock: because they are raw as gently caress. Scrambles is the most badassed, Vacation is the most polished, Adults is a combo of the two.

The best one is Others! Others! :colbert:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Nobody ever lists Goodbye Cool World as their favorite. :smith:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's mine! Followed by Adults and TLODILI

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
They all own for real

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Someone make me a "Jeff Sucks" gang tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I honestly forgot it :( It's probably my favorite of the first three. King of Minneapolis, Side Projects, Matyrdom, Sorry Brooklyn, and Even Winning Feels Bad are a few of my favorite songs