Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
In the exact same scenario, boots may help reduce ankle injuries by a small amount, but when you throw another pound or two on your feet, you will get tired more quickly, and that's when injuries are more likely to happen. Plus, trail runners give you better range of motion so your foot isn't locked in a straight forward/backward movement, which makes it more likely you'll be able to keep your balance if you trip/slip on something.

But the real reason light mesh trail runners are better is so you can go sloshing through streams like an rear end in a top hat, right past all those suckers who are stopping to take their boots off and do it barefoot. Cigarette flicking optional, but recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It sounds to me, like maybe it's a matter of personal preference? :monocle: My personal preference used to be boots but i am in the trail runner camp now.

I will unequivocally say gently caress goretex though, if you want to go waterproof make it rubber or waterproofed leather, something you can see/fix.

Shreks hot knob
Sep 4, 2007
We swearsss it!
So is the consensus here that if there is a lot of mud around boots are still better? That's the main reason I wear boots because there are straight up bogs all over the area I hike in.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Internet Explorer posted:

Are there any equally as good deals for synthetic bags? My wife is allergic to down and it seems a lot harder to find a synthetic good bag.

I know this was a while back, but I have this one, and I can confirm it's quite toasty down to 20 degrees: Northface Cat's Meow (women's)

I'm 5'6" and needed to get the long, though.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I know they are expensive but aside from the cost, does anyone have any experience with Feathered Friends sleeping bags? I'm considering one of them for its combination of small packed size, low weight, and appropriate temperature rating.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've always heard they're one of the better quality down bag manufacturers along with Western Mountaineering. They seem to review well along those lines. I think they're also (again along with Western Mountaineering) basically the only mainstream made in the US sleeping bag manufacturer left

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

The Precious posted:

So is the consensus here that if there is a lot of mud around boots are still better? That's the main reason I wear boots because there are straight up bogs all over the area I hike in.

It's personal preference. Trail runner people will tell you that their shoes are better in the mud, boot people will tell you that their shoes are better in the mud.

If you're out for any appreciable amount of time in mud season, your feet are going to get wet no matter what - would you rather be wearing boots or trail runners when that happens?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
It's 100% personal preference. Both have their advantages and are better suited to different things for certain situations.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that gore tex sucks.

Edit:

Levitate posted:

I think they're also (again along with Western Mountaineering) basically the only mainstream made in the US sleeping bag manufacturer left

And Wiggy's!

Though the mainstream part is debatable, dude sucks at advertising :v:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 14, 2015

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Thoren posted:

Would a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers be too heavy/clunky for long distance hiking?

Yes. My boyfriend has a pair of 8" Red Wing boots and they are for our canoeing and camping trips. The Iron Rangers are super fancy if your only intent is to hike in them, if you're intent on a pair of Red Wings there are other styles that are less expensive, lighter, but still high quality. My boyfriend's boots are really nice and do great in wetter conditions but are definitely too heavy for anything besides portaging. For long distance he's got a pair of Vibram Vasque hiking boots and would definitely recommend them. Comfortable and lighter weight but still sturdy.

Regarding ankle support, if a ribbon on a ballet shoe is supposed to provide support for a dancer's ankle, you'd think sturdy leather and laces would support a hiker's ankles.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's 100% personal preference. Both have their advantages and are better suited to different things for certain situations.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that gore tex sucks.

Goretex is good if you're going to be in a rainstorm. Or if you're going to be standing in a puddle or bushwacking through a swamp. If you're on a trail in nice weather, less useful.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Speleothing posted:

Goretex is good if you're going to be in a rainstorm. Or if you're going to be standing in a puddle or bushwacking through a swamp. If you're on a trail in nice weather, less useful.

Oh, no, you're absolutely right--Gore Tex is awesome for waterproofing, especially on a rain jacket... but the breathable bit is greatly overexaggerated. Especially when you wind up just as wet inside your jacket from perspiration.

I should have clarified that--Gore Tex is a great idea in principle, less so in practice.

My philosophy is to just get wet, but wear polypropylene/nylon clothes that dry out in minutes rather than a futile fight against the elements.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

lollybo posted:

So I just got a call from the backcountry office in the Rockies, and I just found out that in mid-may many trails will have potentially knee high snow. Granted weather will be unpredictable at that time and we can expect anything from 70 degree weather to having to trek through 5-6 inches of snow, would backcountry camping at that time be dangerous for a group of 3 fit, but inexperienced men? We were looking forward to peaking some 13ers- would this still be possible? Is there a risk of avalanche during this period?

Whatever you decide, give yourself lots of extra time beyond what summer suggested times are. I did a small summit once that's a three hour round trip in ideal conditions, but there were a few sections where we broke through the snow crust and it was up to 3 feet deep near the summit even though it was only a few inches in the valley. It took us 6 hours just to summit. Trudging through snow also takes more energy, so I always bring extra food.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

dreesemonkey posted:

Can anyone recommend some specific brands/models for some hiking boots? I'm looking more towards hiking boots than backpacking boots. I'd like something that I could use in warm and coldish weather.

I have absolutely zero gear and would like to get into some real beginner poo poo this year with the ultimate goal of maybe doing some overnights eventually.

Looks like the past page has turned into a trailrunner vs boot shitstorm. The correct answer is to own both. If you have zero gear and you are starting out, I can say with absolute certainty that you should start off with a trailrunner. I used to be in the boot camp, and I live in a very rainy area, and the trailrunners get picked over the boots 90% of the time. The boots are nice to have in the winter for warmth, but that's about it. You have most of the year before you'll need a boot, do what I did and pick up a pair of $200-400 boots for $50 at an REI garage sale when you get the chance. Protip: most of the time they'll do 50% off after 2pm on the garage sales if you have a receipt. Buy something else you want in the morning, find your boots, and hang out around the store for a couple hours -- wham bam $400 boots for $50.

Facts:
Decent trailrunners will drain without taking the shoe off, and dry in a matter of minutes in sunlight. Boots will take a full day or longer to dry.
Waterproof boots are only useful for snow, otherwise the waterproofing will only serve to trap moisture inside the boot. Trailrunners with gore-tex socks or double-sock-breadbag-technique will keep your feet dryer in rain mud etc.
99% of boots provide zero ankle support and 70% of boots won't even help with ankle rolls. Skip anything "mid" or "low" as they provide zero ankle support and leak rain inside like a sieve.
1lb on your feet = 5lb in the pack
My Saucony Peregrine trailrunners have better tread and grip than any boot I've tried.
You can buy trailrunners with 3/4 or a full rock plate.
Most boots use cheap EVA midsoles, which effectively makes them a shoe. If you can't resole it and you can bend the ankle, its a shoe bro.

Go by fit/comfort, but if you have wide-ish feet you really can't beat the Saucony Peregrine line if they fit your feet well. Quickest draining/drying trailrunner out, with better traction than any boot, very lightweight, ample toe protection, and they have a carbon rock plate to protect your soles. Not cheap but the uppers are a lot more durable than cheap runners, so in my experience they average out to cheaper per mile than cheap $30 on sale runners.

If you carry a >30lb pack, you're old, you have achilles/ankle injuries, etc then yeah you might want to use a boot, but if you do you really need to be selective about what you buy because most boots these days are glorified shoes for people who can't give up the "idea" of wearing a boot.

I love my boots too, but they get taken out maybe a handful of times a year most of which is in the winter. They have a time and place but if you're starting out trailrunners are much cheaper and more versatile for 3 season use.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 15, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

My Saucony Peregrine trailrunners have better tread and grip than any boot I've tried.
You can buy trailrunners with 3/4 or a full rock plate.
Most boots use cheap EVA midsoles, which effectively makes them a shoe.

Go by fit/comfort, but if you have wide-ish feet you really can't beat the Saucony Peregrine line if they fit your feet well. Quickest draining/drying trailrunner out, with better traction than any boot, very lightweight, ample toe protection, and they have a carbon rock plate to protect your soles. Not cheap but the uppers are a lot more durable than cheap runners, so in my experience they average out to cheaper per mile than cheap $30 on sale runners.
I posted this a few pages back, but Saucony Peregrine trailrunners have basically changed my life. I wear size 13's but struggle with slightly wider than average feet - the Peregrine size 13's fit me perfectly and I love them to pieces. Also, the Peregrine 5's are out but the 4's are really similar and can be had for less than 70 bucks now.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

cheese posted:

I posted this a few pages back, but Saucony Peregrine trailrunners have basically changed my life. I wear size 13's but struggle with slightly wider than average feet - the Peregrine size 13's fit me perfectly and I love them to pieces. Also, the Peregrine 5's are out but the 4's are really similar and can be had for less than 70 bucks now.

They're loving awesome and completely changed my opinion on trailrunners. Can't agree with you more. The 5's have slightly better toe protection but I've had zero issues with the toe protection on the 4, so a cheap pair of 4's is the way to go. Even in the winter, I'll regularly navigate terrain with a breeze that has my boot and hiking shoe comrades putting their spikes on. The only downside to them I can even think of is that they aren't the most comfortable with spikes and sometimes spikes fall off them, which goes back to "boots are nice in the winter" They also handle rocks better than any boot I've ever owned, which seems counter-intuitive but the rock plate truly does make a huge difference.

I have a brand new pair of Soloman 4D GTX's and I don't think I'll even use them until next winter. I can't even bring myself to wear them out a few times to break them in this time of year.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 15, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

For as long as I've been rocking the trailrunner style, I've been using Salamon XA Pro 3D, they have a good wide base that helps against ankle rolls, and they're generally a great shoe, for me.

There is also a goretex version (booo, avoid imo) and unfortunately it's becoming harder and harder these days to find shoes that DON'T have goretex in them, but as far as i can tell you can still get this shoe sans-goretex. You just have to make sure you're getting the non-goretex ones because they come both ways.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Would trailrunners hold up in long scree fields? I feel like they'd get torn apart.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I haven't hiked in years, but one of my local parks (Hanging Rock Nat. Park in Danbury, North Carolina) has a "Five Peaks Challenge" where you get a patch if you hit all five overlook peaks in a single day.

By god that patch is going to be mine.

I gave it a go this past weekend, but only brought a single bottle of water and a single Clif bar with me, so after 11 miles (and only 3 of the peaks), my body was giving out. Not to mention I had another 3-5 miles left and only a couple hours before the visitor's center closed. Also I got lost on the way and ended up going down (and back up) and super steep, super rocky trail. That wiped me out. Man, I forgot how damned fun hiking is!

Anyway, my question - does anyone use a GPS to plan or track their hikes? I have an eTrex 20 that's been collecting dust, and I'd like to use it to plan my route so I don't get off track again. Only thing is, I know how to operate it, basically, but I have no idea how I'd go about planning a route on this thing.

As a bonus, here's my favorite spot at Hanging Rock, Moore's Knob. Highest peak in the Sauratown Mountains (~2600 ft)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You can pry my giant boots from my cold dead feet.

That being said, any recommendations on camp sandals that can be worn with wool socks? I'd like something a lot lighter than the super clunky ones i got at target.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

COOL CORN posted:

As a bonus, here's my favorite spot at Hanging Rock, Moore's Knob. Highest peak in the Sauratown Mountains (~2600 ft)

hey i was just there, like a few weeks ago, I posted about it then... we had great weather!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

hey i was just there, like a few weeks ago, I posted about it then... we had great weather!

Cool! Are you (and husband) from the area? What a small world.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

COOL CORN posted:

Anyway, my question - does anyone use a GPS to plan or track their hikes? I have an eTrex 20 that's been collecting dust, and I'd like to use it to plan my route so I don't get off track again. Only thing is, I know how to operate it, basically, but I have no idea how I'd go about planning a route on this thing.

For something like that I would see if you can find some existing routes that someone else already planned.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Looks like the past page has turned into a trailrunner vs boot shitstorm. The correct answer is to own both. If you have zero gear and you are starting out, I can say with absolute certainty that you should start off with a trailrunner. I used to be in the boot camp, and I live in a very rainy area, and the trailrunners get picked over the boots 90% of the time. The boots are nice to have in the winter for warmth, but that's about it. You have most of the year before you'll need a boot, do what I did and pick up a pair of $200-400 boots for $50 at an REI garage sale when you get the chance. Protip: most of the time they'll do 50% off after 2pm on the garage sales if you have a receipt. Buy something else you want in the morning, find your boots, and hang out around the store for a couple hours -- wham bam $400 boots for $50.

Argh, I love my boots but now I'm seriously thinking of using trail runners on the Tahoe-Yosemite hike. Probably will be pushing 30 lbs at maximum load, but my friend used trail runners on the JMT with great results, and my boots sure did feel heavy on those passes. That 1lb = 5lb thing would mean a lot of savings.

I was unclear on something - can you ford rivers with them, after taking off your socks? Sounds nice, if they drain easy.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 15, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of footwear - that was another thing that had me tapping out early. I was given some Salomon shoes by someone who they didn't fit, and turns out they don't fit me either. The hike started off with just a dull sort of "eh, this isn't too bad, just a little tight in the toe box", and by mile 10 I was wincing with every step.

So, public service announcement - make sure your shoes fit and walk around in them for a day or so before you go on a long hike!

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

COOL CORN posted:

Cool! Are you (and husband) from the area? What a small world.

He's from new jersey but I'm from the charlotte area. We live in raleigh (for the next two months until we move to seattle).

This thursday we leave for Jefferson National Forest in Virginia. We're planning to hit McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Dragon's Tooth for a total of 37 miles (based on this write-up) over four days. I was surprised to find it's only about a three hours drive from the triangle! Can't wait :)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

A Kpro posted:

Would trailrunners hold up in long scree fields? I feel like they'd get torn apart.

Scree and thorn brush will certainly tear up running shoes, but honestly I think the idea these days is to just buy another pair when the first ones die. The bigger problem with scree-fields is that low-top shoes will quickly fill with rocks unless you've got some gaiters on, and they may have traction and comfort issues with walking on the larger rocks unless you have rock plates. But unless you're going to be spending most of your time in scree, you probably don't need special shoes for that sort of hiking. Boots are fantastic for lots of things, but they're total overkill for hiking along a trail during good weather for a short period with a light pack, which is what most people are looking to do when setting out hiking.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 15, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

mastershakeman posted:

That being said, any recommendations on camp sandals that can be worn with wool socks? I'd like something a lot lighter than the super clunky ones i got at target.

How do you feel about thong sandals? If you can stand not having a heel strap, you're probably best off getting some beach cruisers.

Edit: I loved my gore boots more than anything when I would spend 6 hours stomping through a swamp doing fieldwork or prescribed burning. That's when the gore is useful - when your feet aren't going to get an hour in the sun to dry out.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 15, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Argh, I love my boots but now I'm seriously thinking of using trail runners on the Tahoe-Yosemite hike. Probably will be pushing 30 lbs at maximum load, but my friend used trail runners on the JMT with great results, and my boots sure did feel heavy on those passes. That 1lb = 5lb thing would mean a lot of savings.

I was unclear on something - can you ford rivers with them, after taking off your socks? Sounds nice, if they drain easy.

Yes, with the right trailrunner. You should bring a waterbottle to the store and see how quickly they drain. The saucony peregrine's are the quickest draining runner I'm aware of on the market right now edit: outside of minimalist shoes with zero protection, I just hold my foot up like I'm stretching my thigh and all the water drains out leaving only a little bit that sticks between my toes because surface tension. They'll be immediately dry enough not to get your socks too damp, or bone dry after a half hour on a sunny day. Not all trailrunners are built equally -- the ones with more constructed/insulated uppers and more toe protection aren't going to drain as fast and drain + dry time is the second most important factor (short of fit) when picking a runner. I think the peregrine gets it right for the vast majority of peoples' needs -- minimalist quick draining upper with a maximalist comfortable and well protected lower.

A Kpro posted:

That's the point, you treat them as disposable. It's not like the vast majority of boots on the market these days aren't disposable either, seeing as they all use unserviceable EVA midsoles which wear out in a year or two tops. But typically even under extreme conditions the lace loops and stitching will fail long before the uppers. There are runners more and less on the minimalist side, and I would pick something at least middle-of-the-road for scree fields (rock plate and toe protection is a must) and wear gaiters to stop debris from getting inside the shoe. So basically a typical trailrunner would work but I would steer clear of "minimalist" or "ultralight" runners. Traction wouldn't be an issue with a good runner, as I said earlier the traction on the Peregrines I keep raving about is superior to just about any boot I've ever seen. A boot would clearly be superior for this situation but unless scree fields are going to compose the majority of your trek, runners should get the job done just fine.

The main failing point to trailrunners are thorn bushes and plants with those little spike-ball things that you find around beaches. A boot will keep that poo poo out but a runner isn't going to be pleasant. On established trails not in the winter a runner is better 99/100 times but they're pretty much poo poo for bushwhacking.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 15, 2015

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
As others have mentioned, get a set of lightweight gaiters if you're going to be in any loose rock / dirt / brush if you are wearing trailrunners. Personally I picked up these Outdoor Research Bugout Gaiters and could not be happier with them. These aren't the massive gaiters you use come wintertime. Rather they only go just above the ankle and have no Goretext or other water resistance. What they do have though is a durable nylon fabric treated with permethrin to keep bugs and other unwanted visitors from creeping up your leg or loose soil from getting into your shoe. Perfect for dusty trails and summertime hiking.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
While on the topic of boots vs trail runners... how about those internal vs external frame packs???

It's the same kind of argument, everyone has their preferences. There's no right or wrong answer. I freaking love my boots, but I think the popular trend now is towards trail runners and ultralight gear. I think there's definite sacrifices in things such as durability and ankle protection, but less weight is awesome and there's a lot I would sacrifice for that.

How you do it doesn't matter. Just getting outside is a privilege that most people don't get to experience in such an intimate way :iia:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've heard external frame packs are making a comeback somewhat now that people use lighter materials but the biggest gear enthusiasts are probably likely to be lightweight advocates who don't need the volume and comfort benefits as much.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Speaking of REI, their 20% off sale ends today. I had been meaning to grab one of their new tents, so I just did it online.

Now I just need to get out and use the drat thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

I've heard external frame packs are making a comeback somewhat now that people use lighter materials but the biggest gear enthusiasts are probably likely to be lightweight advocates who don't need the volume and comfort benefits as much.

I got an old old REI external frame pack with the intention of making a rig so I could carry a 5 gallon bucket on it full of ice so that a I could catch and keep fish. The idea being that most guys will not walk more than a mile from their car so by hiking two to three miles in I could find some really low pressured spots.

What I found is that 5 gallons of ice and even a small selection of tackle is brutally heavy and trying to get said pack off my back is almost impossible to do alone. However the bucket is nice to sit on while dry heaving. So now I have a nice rig to carry beer along so long as I have a buddy to help get the pack off.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

bunnielab posted:

I got an old old REI external frame pack with the intention of making a rig so I could carry a 5 gallon bucket on it full of ice so that a I could catch and keep fish. The idea being that most guys will not walk more than a mile from their car so by hiking two to three miles in I could find some really low pressured spots.

What I found is that 5 gallons of ice and even a small selection of tackle is brutally heavy and trying to get said pack off my back is almost impossible to do alone. However the bucket is nice to sit on while dry heaving. So now I have a nice rig to carry beer along so long as I have a buddy to help get the pack off.

Five gallons of ice is about 45 lbs of awkward and shifting weight, fyi. That does sound like a huge load of unfun. In the future, bring camping gear and just laze around catching fish and eating them. Alternatively you could try smoking the fish to bring them back, but that takes quite a while and takes practice to achieve in the field. I've certainly never tried.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 15, 2015

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Have you considered a smaller bucket of ice? What are you catching and what's the catch limit?

Speaking of fishing is there a fishing thread here?

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(

Levitate posted:

Spent the summer using the Exos series from Osprey. It's super dope. Around 2 lbs and can carry nearly 100 percent of pack weight on your hips. I felt very comfortable with 15-20 lbs in it, but I think it's rated to like 35lbs. Definitely a step up from the REI Flash pack I was using before that.

Re: trailrunner chat: everyone on the PCT uses the Brooks Cascadias, Altra Lone Peaks, or the La Sportiva Wildcats. Gotta be a reason for that...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Have you considered a smaller bucket of ice? What are you catching and what's the catch limit?

Speaking of fishing is there a fishing thread here?

I believe the idea was to go after white perch, which iirc have no limit during most of the year. Sadly camping is verboten in most of the parks around here, but I am starting to not care so much about that. In any case I think setting up a smoker would cause some comment by the DNR.

There is a fishing thread on A/T but it is pretty quiet most of the time. There are some hugely knowledgeable dudes who post in it so questions get answered pretty quickly.

Here is a bass I caught last weekend in the C&O canal. I was there with a friend scouting out a potential kayak trip we want to take. He went nuts and has been back there every day sense, going a bit further each time. The canal towpath is like walking a lovely country lane that just happens to have a river one side and a canal on the other. We were able to do about 3-4 miles an hour with minimal fishing stops. I have a feeling it will take weeks to do the 185 miles if I really want to fish it all.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Kaal posted:

Scree and thorn brush will certainly tear up running shoes, but honestly I think the idea these days is to just buy another pair when the first ones die. The bigger problem with scree-fields is that low-top shoes will quickly fill with rocks unless you've got some gaiters on, and they may have traction and comfort issues with walking on the larger rocks unless you have rock plates. But unless you're going to be spending most of your time in scree, you probably don't need special shoes for that sort of hiking. Boots are fantastic for lots of things, but they're total overkill for hiking along a trail during good weather for a short period with a light pack, which is what most people are looking to do when setting out hiking.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

That's the point, you treat them as disposable. It's not like the vast majority of boots on the market these days aren't disposable either, seeing as they all use unserviceable EVA midsoles which wear out in a year or two tops. But typically even under extreme conditions the lace loops and stitching will fail long before the uppers. There are runners more and less on the minimalist side, and I would pick something at least middle-of-the-road for scree fields (rock plate and toe protection is a must) and wear gaiters to stop debris from getting inside the shoe. So basically a typical trailrunner would work but I would steer clear of "minimalist" or "ultralight" runners. Traction wouldn't be an issue with a good runner, as I said earlier the traction on the Peregrines I keep raving about is superior to just about any boot I've ever seen. A boot would clearly be superior for this situation but unless scree fields are going to compose the majority of your trek, runners should get the job done just fine.

As it would turn out Idaho is full of massive scree fields on all the major peaks. The ones that aren't scree are scrambles on rocky terrain. Actually looking back on all the ones I've climbed the last couple of years, trailrunners would have sufficed on a bunch of them. Still, my last pair of boots was well worth it and took an awful lot of abuse.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mastershakeman posted:

As much as I hate crocs for daily use they make great camp shoes. They're light, easy on easy off, waterproof, comfortable, don't hold stink and they wash easily. The only problem is that they're bulky so I just use a carabiner to clip then to the outside of my pack. Great for water crossings and you can wear them with or without socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bunnielab posted:

I have been buying Northface shoes and boots lately, they seem to be the most breathable of any waterproof shoe I have tried. I am more of a fisherman then a hiker so it is pretty much inevitable that my foot is going into water at some point and I really like having a chance of escaping soggy foot.

I bought a pair of waterproof socks that really seem to work great and kept my feet dry all winter hiking through snow, slush, and icy water. Sadly they are like $40 pair and reviews are so mixed I am scared to order another pair.
I've used goretex pro socks before and they loving own until they inevitably develop friction damage and start leaking.