Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The current stable version (0.C) is way ahead of what the old janky Cataclysm was. It has some questionable choices but way more core game now.

If you play the experimental builds you get a lot of new stuff that may or may not work, but nothing outright crashes the game now if you disable NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Cataclysm is a sandbox RL. It'll never offer you the same experience as Crawl, or any other goal orientated RL. As such, it's a bit all over the place, and you really have to make your own fun. However, it's probably the best sandbox out there for the sort of people that will deliberately take sub optimal choices and see where it goes.

yeah i'm not talking about "there's no goal or endgame" i'm talking about stuff like "the perk that says it improves your learning rate actually does literally nothing"

or the 20+ kinds of guns each with their own non-interchangeable ammo (which I think they eventually separated out into an optional add-on, thankfully)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 13, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Usually the stuff that's broken gets posted on the Git and fixed. A lot of changes and rewrites does leave a lot of stuff broken though, I'll agree. Never got the complaints about guns, though. More guns is more fun, people might as well complain about all the knives, swords, and armor options as well.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Million Ghosts posted:

what I'm getting at is you should play Cataclysm it's real good.

My first survivor in the great city of Furridelphia ran outside and was eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex in short order.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Sproggiwood (and I guesssss some other roguelikes, but who plays those???) is on sale for 72 hours during the Humble Roguelike Midweek Sale!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/roguelike_midweek/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
and you did not give us your CoQ? :argh:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I lust for CoQ ha ha ha ha h a ha

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Michael Jackson posted:

and you did not give us your CoQ? :argh:

Working on it. We actually hired a PR firm for the Sproggiwood 1.2 patch & Soundtrack, Sproggiwood mobile release and Caves of Qud EA, and they're trying to talk us down from all at a single time, since they'll have the time to actually work press coverage. We've got most everything technically buckled down, so there aren't any huge slips possible (barring random acts of god), we're just lining up all the marketing/etc on it all.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
as a communications & pr professional i think you should release sproggimobile and coq tiles to just me

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Unormal posted:

Working on it. We actually hired a PR firm for the Sproggiwood 1.2 patch & Soundtrack, Sproggiwood mobile release and Caves of Qud EA, and they're trying to talk us down from all at a single time, since they'll have the time to actually work press coverage. We've got most everything technically buckled down, so there aren't any huge slips possible (barring random acts of god), we're just lining up all the marketing/etc on it all.

That is actually a good reason. I am now calm and patient.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Unormal posted:

and they're trying to talk us down from all at a single time, since they'll have the time to actually work press coverage.
they're probably right tbh. do you guys have some reason for wanting to get everything out on the same day?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

they're probably right tbh. do you guys have some reason for wanting to get everything out on the same day?

Well, since the game stuff is entirely after-hours part time stuff, we just don't have the time to milk smaller press releases, or the proper amount of time to go individually and push it on people. We didn't get any large press at all on Sproggiwood (except for one completely garbage RPS impressions article), and only a handful of indie stuff and youtubers, so if we were doing it all on our own, the only hope of any press it all is to put out a press release of doom that would be hard to ignore. However, with some more hands on it, I also agree that it's almost certainly a better tactic to fire off each marketing bullet separately.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think whatever you choose to do is great as long as it means we get CoQ 3 days ago

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Unormal posted:

Eagerly awaiting banner ads reading YOU WANT COQ or maybe COQ: GET IT HERE

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

:mrgw:

POSTAPOCALYPTIC COQ!

Trying to think up a slogan that combines COQ and JUST WALK AWAY. Help me out goons.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
JUST COQ AWAY?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i play with coq all night and now you can too

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
JRPGs hate him!!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Come get CoQ, my lord.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

Come get CoQ, m'lady.

Fixed.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This has to happen, I will waste allocate official Adventurepro Games LLC budget to support this.

Xir posted:

JUST COQ AWAY?
Keep 'em coming!

Justin_Brett posted:

JRPGs hate him!!
Yes!

Wamdoodle posted:

Come get CoQ, my lord.
Yes!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it was better before

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i think it was better before

They missed the reference most likely. Also, what's up the heteronormativity bro?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Next time there's an update adding content/new quests/etc, the tagline can be COQ: longer, harder, and less bug-infested than ever!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

Next time there's an update adding content/new quests/etc, the tagline can be COQ: longer, harder, and less bug-infested than ever!

But your CoQ will never not have axe turtlescrabs.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

They missed the reference most likely. Also, what's up the heteronormativity bro?

I got the reference. I was imagining, instead of the big-breasted bimbo, an overweight fedora-wearing neckbearded grognard tipping said hat.

To each his own.

Although I suppose it should have been "Come play with my CoQ, m'lady."

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

RickVoid posted:

Although I suppose it should have been "Come play with my CoQ, m'lady."

that's....even worse.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

coq and bawls... the recipe for a perfect night in this gamer's humble opinion

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I like survival roguelikes. Unreal World is one of my favorites right up until you have a cabin built and enough traps that survival is no longer difficult. Then I get tired of it.

What other good survival roguelikes are out there where you have to manage heat/hunger/thirst/etc? I am already planning on grabbing CDDA when I get home but what else? Preferrably something with an actual endgame.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Cataclysm is basically Unreal World with an infinitely better interface and zombies instead of Njerpez or whatever, so I'm sure you'll spend plenty of time on it. I don't know of anything else with the same survival focus, unfortunately.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

khy posted:

I like survival roguelikes. Unreal World is one of my favorites right up until you have a cabin built and enough traps that survival is no longer difficult. Then I get tired of it.

What other good survival roguelikes are out there where you have to manage heat/hunger/thirst/etc? I am already planning on grabbing CDDA when I get home but what else? Preferrably something with an actual endgame.

I probably shouldn't open the roguelike vs roguelite can of worms, but what about Don't Starve?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
To the people a few pages back, the way you beat the sumo wrestler in IVAN to get the belt of levitation is to get him to chase some food to get from his normal spot, then vomit twelve times where he stands, then when he gets back wait until his legs melt from the acid of your vomit and he starts to panic.

Also, another useful trick: use a scroll of taming on an invisible guard in the frog temple to get a free set of mythril armor, a ring of invisibility and a ring of infravision.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I also am waiting for the latest release from my Internet Coq Supplier

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Space Bat posted:

To the people a few pages back, the way you beat the sumo wrestler in IVAN to get the belt of levitation is to get him to chase some food to get from his normal spot, then vomit twelve times where he stands, then when he gets back wait until his legs melt from the acid of your vomit and he starts to panic.
:staredog:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Eschatos posted:

I probably shouldn't open the roguelike vs roguelite can of worms, but what about Don't Starve?

I've got it and enjoyed it but found the gameplay wasn't quite right for me. I like the idea of eventually creating a more-or-less permanent settlement, with farming and trapping and the like. With Don't Starve I found that it pushes me to not settle down in one spot too long, since you're actively trying to escape from the world you're in.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I really enjoyed what i've played of neo scavenger, its not free unfortunately and its maybe about 5 dollars too expensive to be a sure thing recommendation but its on steam and has a free demo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

Wally perfection!

COQ BLOCKS!

(I'm slow)

TRADING FLUIDS WITH COQ!

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 15, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

has anyone heard anything about runers? it's in the humble store midweek sale and it looks like some update of triangle wizard

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/runers_storefront

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

theres a demo for it on steam. i thought it was kind of neat but it didnt run well on my laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

TRADING FLUIDS WITH COQ!

:eyepop: