Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Critical posted:

Hello, ladies and jellyspoons. Sorry I haven't been around lately. Started a new job about six months ago and while I have more money to dedicate this stupid loving sport, the time and desire has been lacking as of late. But today I have a story for you.

This afternoon I participated in my first UBA event. For those unaware UBA is the Underground Bowling Association. It now fields 95 teams up and down the east coast, from Massachusetts to Florida, with teams springing up in Maine and Vermont next year. Today's event had 400 people in Milford CT. Fun as all hell.

UBA has a fun little routine called the 5-pin slap. Basically, if you miss a 5 pin you get yanked off the lane, someone covers both hands in baby powder and slaps you on both sides of the face. You then get to brush off the excess and continue to bowl with your new Santa Claus beard of shame.

So about five frames in I dick-yank a shot straight at the headpin. I get one of those ugly brooklyn shots that hits like a dead fish and the 9 topples at the last second leaving me the five. I think nothing of it until someone from the next lane over, knowing it's my first time ever in a UBA event, yells "FRESH MEAT!" The stampede to get in position behind my lane is immediate and frightening. The same guy comes up behind me and says "Whatever you do, don't balk." I'm still wondering what the hell that means as I'm stepping on the lane for my next shot and that's when the noise starts.

"Ooooooooooohhhhhhh...."

A hundred people in unison are building up noise behind me as I get ready to shoot this spare.

Now, not to toot my own very small horn, but I am no stranger to pressure in bowling. I had to triple to win a travel league championship in Jr leagues and did it. I have won hundreds of dollars on one shot, shot my first trey with a hundred people behind me and shot the best game of my life (a 269 on a pair with 10 boards of difference in hook between them) with Parker Bohn III watching.

I am, standing on the approach, literally shaking with a bowling ball in my hand.

I picked up my spare ball which means I have to go straight at it, thank God, because if I had to throw a hook right now I might dump it at 10 miles an hour.

I finally will myself to start my shot and the noise gets louder. "OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH..." And with beautifully practiced timing, the nanosecond the ball leaves my hand I hear:

"YOU SUCK!"

I covered that 5 pin like a blanket and Usain Bolt couldn't get off that approach as quickly as I did. And, amazingly, not one person in that crowd was disappointed they didn't get to see me slapped. High 5s all around. Probably the most fun I've ever had in a bowling alley.

That sounds like a lot of fun... I'd heard about the UBA a while back online, but it hasn't made its way down here yet (that I know of). That puts our 5-pin ritual to shame... In our leagues, when someone leaves a 5-pin, people start putting their hands up in the air. If you miss it, you have to buy everyone with their hand up a shot.

I'm working as the "mechanic" two nights a week now at the club. I put mechanic in quotations because I still know gently caress-all about the machines and can only do pretty minor stuff like clearing jams, cycling the racks, etc. I've also started conditioning the lanes, so now I can't bitch about the oil pattern anymore, because chances are I laid it down. It's definitely a trip to watch these machines work... Completely mechanically timed with cams and gears and pistons, etc... It's kind of mesmerizing. Then you realize that one slight gently caress up and you're probably going to lose your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Scarf posted:

In our leagues, when someone leaves a 5-pin, people start putting their hands up in the air. If you miss it, you have to buy everyone with their hand up a shot.

This is what we do in our little part of Kansas... but you only buy the shots if they still have their hands up after you've missed the shot. We'll tease people and put our hands up while they're grabbing their ball off the return, but usually put it down before the ball is released. Usually only with the really good bowlers do we (people on our lanes, and occasionally neighboring lanes for some good ribbing) keep the hands up.

Scarf posted:

It's kind of mesmerizing. Then you realize that one slight gently caress up and you're probably going to lose your hand.

This reminds me of something that was utterly terrifying at the time (and now is like "you dumbass" as he was a former employee of mine, whom, no doubt, was a dumbass at a simple job. Kid is extremely book smart, but common sense is out the window with him)... last season at one of the alleys I bowled a league at, we were having an issue where the pin setter knocked down the 10 pin, just needed the 10 pin reset. This was the first time I realized my former employee was now employed at the alley when we called the desk to have JUST the 10 pin reset. The guy just reset the lane completely. Called him again saying "hey we need JUST the 10 pin." He resets the whole lane again. Call a third time, and he physically comes down from the desk all flustered not understanding what we wanted. "We. Just. Need. The. Ten. Pin. Not the whole lane." So he runs to the back, turns off the lane light, knocks everything down but the 10 pin. Turns on the lane light. Guy finishes up his frame, next person bowls their frame. Next person gets up, and suddenly we hear these blood-curdling screams for help coming from the back. The alley is not nicely set up with a door at the far end of the lanes to get back there... have to run around the side where the pool tables are. So I see people running back there, and people pretty much just ran down the lane, lifting up the front. The guy, for whatever reason, stuck around back there after turning the light back on, and stuck his arm in the machine. It was pinned in two places between his shoulder and elbow. The way he was screaming, I fully expected an amputated arm and blood everywhere. They had to break the pin setter from the lane side to get him free. Miraculously, he still had a fully intact arm with just a few bruises.

His manager came down after he left with the EMTs, asking what happened. It took all my will to bite my tongue and not launch into stories of his dumbassery while he was my employee.

Needless to say, he wasn't employed there after his semester review.

hockeyfrog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 31, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

hockeyfrog posted:

horror story

Yikes. Yeah... First thing the actually fully trained and experienced pin mechanic taught me about doing work on the pin-setter: If I'm clearing a jam, hopping down onto the deck for whatever reason, or basically doing anything that involves me getting INTO the machine and not just clearing a stuck ball... Turn the machine off, turn the breaker box off (each machine has it's own), unplug the machine from the breaker box. Do not turn it back on until you are completely clear of it because if it got caught up mid-cycle, as soon as it powers back on, it's going to finish that cycle.

I'm sure the newer electronic machines have all kinds of safety features that cause them to shut down if they get too much resistance (say from an arm being wedged in there), but when it's all mechanically timed... Yeah, good luck.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
In my 10 or so years experience working on pinsetters (AMF 82-70) I have had tons of dings, scratches, and bruises. However, it takes straight up negligence to have any serious injury.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

hockeyfrog posted:

This is what we do in our little part of Kansas...

Shot in the dark but, AMF College Lanes by chance? I've heard all sorts of horror stories about that place.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

buffto posted:

In my 10 or so years experience working on pinsetters (AMF 82-70) I have had tons of dings, scratches, and bruises. However, it takes straight up negligence to have any serious injury.

Usually true but my old boss lost a finger due to a snapped table spring out of nowhere. But yeah I agree if you take the proper precautions you're probably not going to get hurt. I never got worse than a few cuts and scrapes.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

buffto posted:

Well, the main problem we have is that, since it's a private club and not a straight up bowling alley, it's really easy for people (read: drunk old assholes) to wander into the back thinking they can clear a jam themselves, especially late on weekends when everyone is sauced and no one is really working the bowling center.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Brady posted:

Shot in the dark but, AMF College Lanes by chance? I've heard all sorts of horror stories about that place.

Nope - I'm in Manhattan KS, usually bowl at Little Apple Lanes, or at the K-State Union bowling alley. It was one of the few outright WTF things I've seen at an alley.

The other was when I was visiting bf's family out in Mass, bowled at a place called "Pinz"... that was a bar/club disguised as a bowling alley. Lane computer-input devices were all locked (thus the counter put in our info in the computer), and when we had an issue with our lane, because the devices were locked, we had to go to the counter to get the lane fixed. The "mechanic" (who turned into the bouncer at 10pm as it went 21+) walked down the middle of the lane to fix some dead wood. I could go on and on about that place and the WTFness.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Eventful weekend. Bowled in the High Hopes Scratch Challenge in NH today. Big tournament for charity that is open to everyone, so some pros always show up. This year we had Walter Ray, Parker Bohn (crossed with him the second squad, bowled like hot garbage and barely went even but that was loving awesome), Rhino Page, Patrick Allen, Brad Angelo and Doug Kent all in the field, most of them in the first squad.

Did I mention I almost made the cut first squad? The number ended up not being real close but I had a decent chance.

I ended up typing out my thoughts during the day so I could look back at them when I struggle. Guys in the golf thread do round recaps sometimes so I figured I would do the same and post them here. The shot was on the 2007 Weber Cup Day 3 pattern, about a 4:1 ratio, just above a sport shot.

First game: This is my worst game for a lot of reasons. I'm on a pair that is being streamed on the internet, which even if three people are watching, is nerve wracking. I never got comfortable in practice and started too far inside, forcing myself to hit a small target to strike. I'm nervous and coming out of every shot. I leave two washouts over the course of the game and miss them both. I have no miss room right at all. I leave a bucket towards the end of the game and chop it. I finish with a 177, which is only about 70 below the scoring pace. Total: -23. Cut: +44

Game two: I don't start out much better than the first game, with a strike, a spare, and another washout that I miss. I hit the 6th frame at a whopping 65 in the 5th and tell myself to slow down, stay down, and keep my weight over my left knee. I pure the shot and strike, and everything clicks. Because I have more leverage on the ball I can miss a little right, and I have a couple boards hold left. I end up striking out for a 215. Total: -8 Cut: +81

Game three: Keeping my swing thought, the first four shots are perfect and hit the same board, the 12 board, and end up strikes all. The 5th shot I miss a few boards right and it recovers with a mixer strike. That was when I started thinking that 300 was a possibility. The next two shots aren't pured but they're solidly thrown and are solid pocket shots. The 8th shot I pull a tiny bit and luckily trip a 4 pin, causing me to move left by a board on the next shot, which is back solidly in the pocket. Status: Reeeeal Nervous. Have I mentioned I'm bowling 2 pairs away from PB3 and Walter loving Ray? On the appraoch in the tenth I'm thinking to just get the ball off my hand and on line. This is a mental error. I should be thinking stay down and over my knee, like the other 9 shots. As I result I pull out of the shot, yanking it through the face to leave a 3 pin. I make it and then leave a soft 10 for a 278 that can't help but be dissappointing. Total: +70 Cut +115

Game four: Two more good shots produce a Strike and a solid 10. The third shot is a mini disaster, blowing the ball way right to about the 5 board. I leave the 1-2-7-8-10, which gets a "what the gently caress is that" from one of my lane mates. I don't have a lot of breathing room so I put every ounce of effort I have into making it, which I manage to do. The rest of the game I hit the pocket but struggle with carry, shooting a solid but not spectacular 228. I didn't lose ground but didn't gain any either. Total: +98 Cut: +141

Fifth game: The lanes are getting touchy, so I figure squad cut is going to be around 160, which means I need a 260 game to make it safely. Not impossible the way I'm throwing the ball. A massive mistake is made here. I've asked three people around me if there is an at-large cut, meaning a general cut for the tournament I can make if I miss this squad cut. I get "I don't think so" from all three. A smarter human would have asked a tournament official. Since I don't think there's an at large, I basically I have to YOLO this game and try to shoot the biggest number I can. Strike, tenpin, double, tenpin. All good solid shots, all in the pocket. But now any cushion is gone I need to strike out. In the 5th frame I throw the best ball of the day, pured off my hand. I'm running it out left when it stones a 9 pin and I almost fall over. The next frame I wrap another ten pin, and half heartedly throw at it, barely missing it inside. In my head my day was over after I stoned the nine. When I learn after the game there was an at large my stomach drops to my feet. I could have gone in with a much different attitude and tried to shoot a much more manageable 240 to get inside. I ended up with a 186 after my adrenaline wore off, mentally exhausted. Total: +84 Cut +155.

tl;dr Almost shot three, couldn't carry last two games, shipped it the last three frames out of frustration after I missed.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
I recently visited my hometown of Orlando and found that there are no longer any AMFs there, only a few alleys owned by some guy who bought up the AMFs and owns like 3 alleys now.

Anyway, it was horrible. My normal shot nearly always went into the gutter. Every time I picked up my ball after a shot it literally had oil dripping own in streaks despite me wiping it down after every shot. That's not normal, right? I feel like maybe I'm so used to my normal alley that when I went to this one I was completely thrown off, but I'm not sure if it was just a horrible oil pattern or truly my failure to adapt to the lane.

The last few times I went bowling I was able to break 200 at least once each time. At this alley (I went twice) I was only able to hit 150 once and averaged 100.

Anyone have any experience with these lanes?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Brady posted:

I recently visited my hometown of Orlando and found that there are no longer any AMFs there, only a few alleys owned by some guy who bought up the AMFs and owns like 3 alleys now.

Anyway, it was horrible. My normal shot nearly always went into the gutter. Every time I picked up my ball after a shot it literally had oil dripping own in streaks despite me wiping it down after every shot. That's not normal, right? I feel like maybe I'm so used to my normal alley that when I went to this one I was completely thrown off, but I'm not sure if it was just a horrible oil pattern or truly my failure to adapt to the lane.

The last few times I went bowling I was able to break 200 at least once each time. At this alley (I went twice) I was only able to hit 150 once and averaged 100.

Anyone have any experience with these lanes?

Which alley specifically? You're right that there are very few lanes left around here, there's a really good alley in Ormond Beach that I bowled league at for 3 years and one other ok one up in Orange City.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

mattfl posted:

Which alley specifically? You're right that there are very few lanes left around here, there's a really good alley in Ormond Beach that I bowled league at for 3 years and one other ok one up in Orange City.

Aloma Lanes and Boardwalk Bowl are two of the places that this particular person owns. I went to Aloma lanes. I haven't been to Boardwalk in years and way before I started taking bowling seriously so I can't speak for that one really. He also apparently owns another alley (maybe on I-Drive?).

Another thing about this place is that after 8pm they shut down all the lights (this was a weeknight mind you) and PROJECTION SCREENS came down right above every single lane in the place. The projections literally reflected like a mirror on all of the lanes; you couldn't make out the lines but it's not like it even mattered since it was such a large distraction to have a huge projection screen right above your lane in the first place.

The funny thing about all of this is my mother was telling me how she met this guy at a gathering not too long ago and he was talking about how the new alley at Fashion Square Mall was a gimmicky joke. I'd love to let him know how much of a joke HIS alleys actually are.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Brady posted:

Another thing about this place is that after 8pm they shut down all the lights (this was a weeknight mind you) and PROJECTION SCREENS came down right above every single lane in the place. The projections literally reflected like a mirror on all of the lanes; you couldn't make out the lines but it's not like it even mattered since it was such a large distraction to have a huge projection screen right above your lane in the first place.

This sounds like the night club disguised as a bar/bowling alley I went to last year. Same deal. Nothing like trying to bowl when a huge screen at the end of the lane is projecting some hardcore rap video with twerking ladies. Bowling and twerking really don't belong together.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Hey all, new bowler here and I have a few questions. I got a bug up my butt and decided I wanted to learn how to bowl and be somewhat proficient at it. I did some research, went to the alley by my house and picked up an Ebonite Cyclone that was fitted and fingertip drilled by the proshop with finger/thumb inserts. Mind you, I haven't bowled since I was a kid (I'm 38) and I went last week to see how I did and I was terrible. I was trying to get some hook in the ball and I was throwing gutters left and right and was getting frustrated. My fingers kept dragging in the holes on release and I was second guessing my approach all the time... just zero confidence.

Since then, I've been watching youtube and reading forums and practicing my release at home and I think I have a better idea of what to do now. (I'm trying to line up some coaching but until then, I'm on my own.)

While I work on my form/timing/release, I have a nagging feeling that I should have started with a lighter ball. My Cyclone is 15lbs, finger tip drilled as I want to learn how to hook the ball. Should I stick with it or should I get a 14lb ball and learn the basics with that first? I think I just have to get used to it, I'm in decent shape 6'2", 200lbs, but my bowling muscles were screaming after my first 3 games.

Maybe just some general advice would help. How does one learn to bowl on their own?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'd focus more on basics than developing a hook or curve.

How's your approach? A lot of the release is in the legs, which requires timing, balance, and coordination, which requires repetition and practice. Your arm will hate you if you can't take some of the load off by a good approach.

I'd definitely have recommended a lighter ball to start with. Release point accuracy is more skill and practice than simply being strong. Consistency is way more important than ball movement, and it's easier to start lighter and work your way up than to just start heavy and wear your arm out.

I'd recommend starting with a 13 lb. non-fingertip ball and just look for consistent releases that feel smooth. Don't worry about pin action or ball movement as much to start with, because generating those are incremental skills that are built upon solid fundamentals.

Beyond that, there's not one single great way to learn by yourself other than lots of practice and maybe youtubing some advice videos that seem reasonable.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I would actually recommend keeping with the 15lb. ball and fingertips. After using muscles you never use, you are going to be sore for a couple days afterwards as with any activity. Throwing with a fingertip ball is such an entirely different release than having your fingers all the way in the ball, so if you want to learn it, just dive into it. Definitely work on your approach first though, make sure you are staying balanced and consistent throughout. Hell, you can even walk up to the lane without a ball and act like you are throwing the bowling ball to get a feel of what you should be trying to do, and then add the ball into it. Balance through the release is key to consistency. But as pander said, definitely don't worry about results yet. Focus on your approach and you will eventually keep the ball on the lane a lot more. Also keep in mind picking up bowling and being good right away isn't the easiest thing to do. Practice helps a ton, so keep at it. A lot of the people you see that are good have been bowling since they were very young. Those are my two cents.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it. I'm going to keep practicing and see if I can line up a few lessons to help me focus on what I need to work on. The 15lb ball should be fine, I played 3 games with it and wasn't worn out or anything so I should be ok. I can buy a 14lb ball and drill it the same as my current ball just to try out, no harm in that I suppose.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone get new equipment for Christmahannakwanzika?

I'm wanting to get away from skid/flip for a while, so I got a DV8 Outcast, getting it drilled this week. They've been advertising it as an "entry-level" ball but after seeing it in action from our pro-shop guy and a regional pro who bowls with us... this thing is pretty loving strong and carries like a ball that costs a lot more.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
I got an overhaul at Christmas... finally got the new ball I was supposed to get months ago. DV8 Hooligan, Brunswick 2-ball roller, and a new pair of Dexters!
(I'll post a pic when I get home from work!)

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Scarf posted:

I'm wanting to get away from skid/flip for a while, so I got a DV8 Outcast, getting it drilled this week. They've been advertising it as an "entry-level" ball but after seeing it in action from our pro-shop guy and a regional pro who bowls with us... this thing is pretty loving strong and carries like a ball that costs a lot more.

My Columbia Freeze is also advertised as entry-level and that thing carries like a sonofabitch. I'm finally getting a hang of it and things are really starting to look up.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

speedtek posted:

My Columbia Freeze is also advertised as entry-level and that thing carries like a sonofabitch. I'm finally getting a hang of it and things are really starting to look up.

It's crazy you said that because our pro-shop guy was telling me the same thing about the Freeze.

I'm finally getting the hang of the Outcast as well. Had to take it to 4000 (from 500) and knock the polish off. Still a tad strong but much more manageable and now has exactly the shot-shape I want. Also had to put in a balance hole to take out 3/8oz, but put it in the neutral position.

Long story short if you want a cheap ball that can still turn out of the house, look into an Outcast.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So I used to just go bowling every now and then to get shitfaced and knock some pins over, but never really took it seriously. A few months ago I started bowling with some buddies once a week and ended up buying a 12 pound Brunswick T-Zone and got it drilled with a conventional grip, and worked my average up to about 130 throwing a straight shot.

Recently I managed to find an older 15 pound Columbia Scout Reactive at a Goodwill, bag included, for three bucks. I got the thing redrilled with a fingertip grip, and have slooooowly been working my average back up as I've gotten used to the new ball. I've had it for a few weeks now, and I've finally started getting used to the increased weight and the different grip - and as an added benefit, I'm getting way more speed out of the 12 pound ball now too. My only hurdle is learning how to hook the ball - I'm getting the ball to make a turn at the end of the lane every now and then, but it's been pretty inconsistent so far. Is this something that comes with practice, or are there any particular tricks or methods that can help me in consistently hooking the ball?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Necronomicon posted:

So I used to just go bowling every now and then to get shitfaced and knock some pins over, but never really took it seriously. A few months ago I started bowling with some buddies once a week and ended up buying a 12 pound Brunswick T-Zone and got it drilled with a conventional grip, and worked my average up to about 130 throwing a straight shot.

Recently I managed to find an older 15 pound Columbia Scout Reactive at a Goodwill, bag included, for three bucks. I got the thing redrilled with a fingertip grip, and have slooooowly been working my average back up as I've gotten used to the new ball. I've had it for a few weeks now, and I've finally started getting used to the increased weight and the different grip - and as an added benefit, I'm getting way more speed out of the 12 pound ball now too. My only hurdle is learning how to hook the ball - I'm getting the ball to make a turn at the end of the lane every now and then, but it's been pretty inconsistent so far. Is this something that comes with practice, or are there any particular tricks or methods that can help me in consistently hooking the ball?

Get a nerf football, toss it underhanded while still putting a spiral on it. That's essentially what you want to do with the bowling ball; you're flipping it off of your fingertips.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

Get a nerf football, toss it underhanded while still putting a spiral on it. That's essentially what you want to do with the bowling ball; you're flipping it off of your fingertips.

Good tip. Also, if you are bowling on oiled lanes that scout reactive isn't meant to hook too much, especially if it's used as well, so keep that in mind.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Good tip. Also, if you are bowling on oiled lanes that scout reactive isn't meant to hook too much, especially if it's used as well, so keep that in mind.

Makes sense - I went to a different alley that was pretty dry and noticed a hell of a lot more movement on my shots. If I end up upgrading down the road, what kind of a ball is going to have a more reliable hook on heavily-oiled lanes?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Necronomicon posted:

Makes sense - I went to a different alley that was pretty dry and noticed a hell of a lot more movement on my shots. If I end up upgrading down the road, what kind of a ball is going to have a more reliable hook on heavily-oiled lanes?

Everybody has their types of brands they like, personally, I like what the Brunswick brand is doing right now (Brunswick, DV8, and Radical).

http://www.bowling.com/shopping/all/bowling-balls/high-performance-balls

A general list of higher priced balls that will hook on regular oiled lanes. Honestly the best way to pick out a ball is to talk to a pro shop guy and have him watch you throw a couple of shots that you think you threw well. You can also go to all the ball manufacturers websites and they should have listed under each ball what type of lanes you should use the ball on: "light oil" "medium oil" "heavy oil" Obviously, buying a heavy oil ball will be an aggressive ball that should hook for you.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Finally participated in a tournament over the weekend, for the women's city tournament in my area. Funny, the city tournament spans two cities since our association covers both.

(Bowled Friday night in league, with a 166, 151 and 142. Wasn't too upset by that.)

Went into the tournament with a 127 average. Team was in the other town on Saturday, bowled a 165, 114, 124 for a 403 (meh). Doubles and Singles were at my home location on Sunday. Doubles ended up with a 133, 166, 184 (483 series), and singles was 139, 165, 174 (478 series). With handicap, after all events, shot a 2075. While it won't be enough to cash out, definitely won't be coming in last. Also happy I didn't have to switch balls during doubles/singles, things were slinging the way I wanted them to.

Was a lot of fun, but after 12 games this weekend, my back is happy I don't have league again until Friday.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I shot my first 700! I've been struggling to get a hold of my Freeze - I hadn't even shot a 600 yet this year. I started OK with a rocky 195, and then from the 2nd game I could do no wrong, getting a 279 and a 234 (I opened in the 10th, goddamn 7 pin). Either way I was happy in the end.

Now I can't wait til next week and see if maybe I've actually found my stride with the ball.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Dag yo. Keep it up.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

speedtek posted:

I shot my first 700! I've been struggling to get a hold of my Freeze - I hadn't even shot a 600 yet this year. I started OK with a rocky 195, and then from the 2nd game I could do no wrong, getting a 279 and a 234 (I opened in the 10th, goddamn 7 pin). Either way I was happy in the end.

Now I can't wait til next week and see if maybe I've actually found my stride with the ball.

Nice!

I've been struggling hard lately, along with most everyone else at the club... Something needs to be adjusted pattern-wise. But somehow I managed to pull a 697 last night, which felt great considering I was like a 525 on Monday night.

One of my teammates decided to record me bowling on his iphone using that slow-mo setting. It was neat, I'd actually never watched myself bowl before. Not the best shot, I swung out to like the 3 board when I meant to keep it around the 7. But the recovery on this drat Outcast is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZM21ZCroEQ

(Kinda helps to put it on 2x speed since the iphone slow-mo is crazy slow).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm hoping this thread isn't perma-dead because I'm taking the steps to ramp this up from a pastime to an all-out hobby.

I'm near the end of my second league season with three buddies, we finished sixth last time and are on pace to finish fourth this time. But I feel like I've kinda maxed out the potential with a straight-thrown house ball (Avg 160, high game 255, high set 564) so I went to the local pro shop and got a ball. I don't know a whole lot about balls, but the store owner came highly-recommended and sold me a ball that would be good for transitioning from a straight ball to a hook (Grease Monkey Pow).

We're pretty much set on fourth place right now and this league does playoffs oddly, so we're probably not going to move from there. I went ahead and bowled with the new bowl yesterday and was treated to my first sub-100 game in at least 10 years. But I got the feel for it and was hooking into the pocket fairly well and finished the series with a 163 and 159. It felt great the whole time but I think I need to have him drill the ring finger just a tiny bit wider as it was getting tight. It's weird having to relearn a bowling technique but hopefully this'll let me push through that ceiling.

First goal is to throw over 200 with the new ball, and then hopefully I can get my first 600 series after that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

I'm hoping this thread isn't perma-dead because I'm taking the steps to ramp this up from a pastime to an all-out hobby.

I'm near the end of my second league season with three buddies, we finished sixth last time and are on pace to finish fourth this time. But I feel like I've kinda maxed out the potential with a straight-thrown house ball (Avg 160, high game 255, high set 564) so I went to the local pro shop and got a ball. I don't know a whole lot about balls, but the store owner came highly-recommended and sold me a ball that would be good for transitioning from a straight ball to a hook (Grease Monkey Pow).

We're pretty much set on fourth place right now and this league does playoffs oddly, so we're probably not going to move from there. I went ahead and bowled with the new bowl yesterday and was treated to my first sub-100 game in at least 10 years. But I got the feel for it and was hooking into the pocket fairly well and finished the series with a 163 and 159. It felt great the whole time but I think I need to have him drill the ring finger just a tiny bit wider as it was getting tight. It's weird having to relearn a bowling technique but hopefully this'll let me push through that ceiling.

First goal is to throw over 200 with the new ball, and then hopefully I can get my first 600 series after that.

It will make you better no doubt. Angle entry into the pocket is enormous for consistent striking and you have a lot more room for error (on a house shot) when you throw a ball that hooks rather than something straight at the pocket. Just keep practicing, it seems you have already come to face the fact that it is basically re-learning how to bowl.

E: The Grease Monkey Pow is a nice mid-high level performance ball, so you got a good ball to learn how to throw a hook with. Also, I keep this thread bookmarked and I bowl a ton competitively as do a few others here, I just don't think we talk about it much (obviously). So if you have any questions, definitely ask away.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 31, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Thanks! I figured maybe it was just a dead time for some leagues or something.

The new ball is a 15 lber as recommended by the pro shop dude. I threw a 13 lb house ball before that, and I didn't really even notice the weight difference. The weirder part was getting used to the fingertip grip.

I had three strikes in four frames at one point and it kinda felt like I was cheating since my strike game was always weak. The bigger fixes now are consistency with the pocket and aim adjustment for spares.

This thread has been a nice read, especially seeing Baldrash go from a 145 average to a 693 series. Hoping to have a similar success story myself.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Poque posted:

The new ball is a 15 lber as recommended by the pro shop dude. I threw a 13 lb house ball before that, and I didn't really even notice the weight difference. The weirder part was getting used to the fingertip grip.

It is amazing what a properly drilled (for you) ball can do. I had a similar situation where I started with an 11lb conventionally drilled ball and was terrified when my boyfriend urged me to switch to a 14lb with fingertips. No issues at all because it was fit properly.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
An alley nearby is $2 a game from 9am to noon on Sundays. I found my new church.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Last night was the playoffs, and we had unfortunately been running under the wrong assumption when it came to playoff format. Last season it was set up oddly where only the top two teams would compete for first place, then 3 & 4 competed for third place, etc etc. This season it was a single-elimination bracket, and unfortunately two of us had basically conceded the season (we were solidly set in fourth place coming in) by switching to new balls/deliveries. We put up a fight but lost in the second round when our leadoff man fell off a cliff.

Another team tried to poach me for a fall league, so if it turns out that they'll be playing on a different day than my current team, I'll probably end up in two leagues. :getin:

What sort of stats do you all keep for yourselves? Since increasing my bowling output I've been capturing score, strike%, single-pin-spare-pickup%, and spare%. Anything else worth adding in?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

Last night was the playoffs, and we had unfortunately been running under the wrong assumption when it came to playoff format. Last season it was set up oddly where only the top two teams would compete for first place, then 3 & 4 competed for third place, etc etc. This season it was a single-elimination bracket, and unfortunately two of us had basically conceded the season (we were solidly set in fourth place coming in) by switching to new balls/deliveries. We put up a fight but lost in the second round when our leadoff man fell off a cliff.

Another team tried to poach me for a fall league, so if it turns out that they'll be playing on a different day than my current team, I'll probably end up in two leagues. :getin:

What sort of stats do you all keep for yourselves? Since increasing my bowling output I've been capturing score, strike%, single-pin-spare-pickup%, and spare%. Anything else worth adding in?

I am a huge stat nerd and have a spreadsheet that contains: Game 1 Average, Game 2 Average, Game 3 Average, Strike%, Spare Conversion%, Non-Split Spare Conversion%, Single Pin Conversion%, Split Conversion %, Average Count on First Ball, Fill %, and Clean Game %.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What's Fill%? And do you do your averages for an entire season or is it something like the average for your last ten games?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

What's Fill%? And do you do your averages for an entire season or is it something like the average for your last ten games?

I keep a running average, so it includes the entire year. But with the information I have, I could very easily just highlight cells and see what I have been averaging in any league for the past month, or month by month specifically. Fill % is a pretty big stat for competitive college bowling (something I used to do). Basically, how many frames did you "fill." Fill meaning spare or strike. So it would be strikes and spares divided by total number of frames. For the sake of fill percentage, only count your attempt in the 10th frame. You wouldn't count all three strikes in your fill if you struck out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
On a different note, I finally shot my first 800. 300-247-253. And it happened to be in the league finals, so I helped our team takes first!

• Locked thread