Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Found a sortof intact firetruck (hundreds units of kevlar/nomex in firefighter armor) but when I set the water cannons to auto-targeting it CTD'd. Also I keep getting funny bugs that teleport me outside of my truck (seems to have something to do with having multiple sets of controls, because removing the secondary one somehow created two more duplicates, but stopped the glitch)

Just crashed again trying to fold up a custom shopping cart, after installing a fridge and then removing it. :suicide:

As far as collapsible vehicles go, it seems like more components should be 'foldable'. It would kinda make as much sense as anything else to let you use a large vehicle to transport a standalone generator or a quadbike in the back of a truck. It would just produce something so bulky and heavy you can't actually pick it up to move it from the ground to the carrier, but there is an interface to do exactly that. At least this part can be modded somewhat easily. Maybe I should learn how to do it by lua instead of manually editing the files.

Then again towing would be nice, as well as directly fusing vehicles together. It is annoying having to install spare engines or chop up vehicles piece by piece in order to get them small enough to shove out of the way just to get my stupidly oversized semi-mobile base across a bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

What the hell. My revolver isn't accurate enough to increase my marksmanship skill further? That is some straight-up BS. :mad:

Particularly when high marksmanship is required to apply gun mods. Sheesh.

Does aiming do anything to help?

In case people werent aware, you can take aim in the fire menu by pressing ".", c, or p. I only found this recently even though it says it right there.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Does temperature affect the food decay rate in any way? Can I drag a refrigerator to my base and hook it up to a generator, or is it just like another container? I really like the whole crafting and base building game, but it seems that power generation is used mostly for vehicles.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Addictive Personality, Animal Discord, Heavy Sleeper, Lightweight, Trigger Happy, Truth Teller, Ugly

Night Vision is pretty awesome for looting the city, I can't play without it anymore.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I've found that only minifridges (RVs and food stands often have them) work for food preservation, and they suck energy like crazy. I like to salvage stoves and glass door fridges for electronics and parts to put together a FOODCO kitchen buddy and stick it to a solar car, then you can dehydrate all the meat and veggies you want.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Does temperature affect the food decay rate in any way?

Yes. Try living in the top floor of an ice lab, staff your food downstairs.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Run 3. Basically the same as the second run, in that I got murdered by wildlife while following a road. I've been savescumming this particular run to try to figure out what mistakes I'm making, and it always ends the same way, and the conclusion I keep coming to is gently caress SKELETAL DOGS.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Always carry rocks, always throw them at skeletal dogs from extremely close range. Just machine-gun rocks at those fuckers.

Or, if you have fire, kite them into a bush and set it on fire. They'll die hilariously fast.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Skeletal dogs are literal glass cannons, they dodge everything unless you either get really good at fighting or a rock decides to hit them in the head and they die.

e: Oh yeah fire works too. Drop a t-shirt, light it on fire, just hang out while things melt in front of you. Not the best thing to stand next to when a zombie happens to drop a brick of ammo, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I burned a soldier zombie to death and was all :gonk: oh god what :gonk: when a grenade it was carrying cooked off and deafened me. Good thing I had already moved away to skirmish with some other stuff.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Also if the same creature kills you don't go near it. You can see what's nearby on the interface to the left. If you see a nasty thing outside of your render distance then don't go there!

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Stupid question. I found a basement with 8 bottles of liquor and I want to empty them all out so I can use them as water bottles. Trying to unload them from the inventory screen hasn't worked out at all though. How do I pour out liquor on the ground?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
"i"nventory, "w"hatever letter you have the bottle of liquor bound to, "U"nload, escape out of the next menu which asks you which container you want to pour it in and pick a direction to unload it with the directional keys.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Stupid question. I found a basement with 8 bottles of liquor and I want to empty them all out so I can use them as water bottles. Trying to unload them from the inventory screen hasn't worked out at all though. How do I pour out liquor on the ground?

Bind the key for the liquor to Shift+E and hold down Shift+E to chug.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Started playing this for the first time with almost zero experience in text and ascii based games like this. Rolled the recommended newbie skills as a character and tooled around looting cars and houses until I stumbled into a basement covered in webs. Being :downs: as gently caress I decided to open the doors and look around whereupon I was attacked by half a dozen black widows which I then proceeded to slowly, painfully kill after running back upstairs. Now I'm down 75% of my starting ammo, most of my clothing is damaged. I lost my glorious duffelbag and MOLLE vest, and I'm in a great deal of pain.

This game is neat. I get the feeling I suck at it, but I don't really care.

Edit: I decided to head back down to see if I couldn't find something to make that all worthwhile and was killed by 6 more spiders that were down there. RIP Fiona, Survived 0 days.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah I burned a soldier zombie to death and was all :gonk: oh god what :gonk: when a grenade it was carrying cooked off and deafened me. Good thing I had already moved away to skirmish with some other stuff.
Yup, I think I'm gonna like this game :allears:

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 14, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

esquilax posted:

In case people werent aware, you can take aim in the fire menu by pressing ".", c, or p. I only found this recently even though it says it right there.
Doesn't seem to.

I cannot imagine what the thought process was behind that design decision.

edit: Not only is my marksmanship not increasing from 3, but my handguns skill has also stopped increasing in the middle of 2. :geno:

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 14, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Doesn't seem to.

I cannot imagine what the thought process was behind that design decision.
I believe that if you add a pistol scope, laser sights etc.. to your gun to make it more accurate then it can train your marksmanship further?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

esquilax posted:

That was one of the features barely implemented by the original developer before he left and the people who took it over didn't bother making it actually do anything

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So I'm trundling along in my RV when suddenly I get the message "a piercing ray of light bursts forth" and parts of the RV start exploding: little things like the controls. This is while trying to boost past a massive number of Z's in a horde-infested town, so now I'm pretty much hosed. When I looked around, all I could see were the usual zombie suspects, so what - is it some kind of invisible creature?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Drunk in Space posted:

So I'm trundling along in my RV when suddenly I get the message "a piercing ray of light bursts forth" and parts of the RV start exploding: little things like the controls. This is while trying to boost past a massive number of Z's in a horde-infested town, so now I'm pretty much hosed. When I looked around, all I could see were the usual zombie suspects, so what - is it some kind of invisible creature?
http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Flaming_eye

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Flaming Eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hug3DkhA6Oc

except replace "walking" with "flaming"

Seriously, they're vicious. If you see one, park your car, get close under cover, then shoot the poo poo out of it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

AceRimmer posted:

I believe that if you add a pistol scope, laser sights etc.. to your gun to make it more accurate then it can train your marksmanship further?
Eh, somehow I doubt it. The dispersion differences between rifles and pistols is grotesque enough that I don't think any amount of add-ons can bridge it. Particularly when I've also got the catch-22 where my marksmanship isn't high enough to install a bunch of mods.

Previous versions were also fairly unkind to gunslingers versus rifle-toters, but this is just ridiculous.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 14, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That was one of the features barely implemented by the original developer before he left and the people who took it over didn't bother making it actually do anything

No, all the aiming stuff is new since they changed up all the accuracy calculations. They work. Longer you spend aiming the more sure your shot is. There's 2 variables you have to look at, they're listed in the aim window as bars.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I guess this is the code responsible:

code:
    // If the dispersion from the weapon is greater than the dispersion from your skill,
    // you can't tell if you need to correct or the gun messed you up, so you can't learn.
    const int weapon_dispersion = used_weapon->get_curammo()->ammo->dispersion + used_weapon->gun_dispersion();
    const int player_dispersion = skill_dispersion( used_weapon, false ) +
        ranged_skill_offset( used_weapon->gun_skill() );
    // High perception allows you to pick out details better, low perception interferes.
    const bool train_skill = weapon_dispersion < player_dispersion + rng(0, get_per());
    if( train_skill ) {
        practice( skill_used, 8 + 2*num_shots );
    } else if( one_in(30) ) {
        add_msg_if_player(m_info, _("You'll need a more accurate gun to keep improving your aim."));
    }
What's odd is that I'm not sure the numbers are matching up properly here...my weapon dispersion with the revolver + its current ammo is currently 330, according to the item description, while at skill levels of 3 marksmanship and 2 handguns, my skill dispersion should be 8*45+7*15=465. It seems like I should be still be improving.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

I guess this is the code responsible:

What's odd is that I'm not sure the numbers are matching up properly here...my weapon dispersion with the revolver + its current ammo is currently 330, according to the item description, while at skill levels of 3 marksmanship and 2 handguns, my skill dispersion should be 8*45+7*15=465. It seems like I should be still be improving.

If I'm reading the code correctly, skill_dispersion is a random number from 0 to 465 but weapon_dispersion is a constant. You should still theoretically get a skill gain for like 30% of the shots, but would get the "you need a more accurate gun" message on 1 in 50 shots. Not sure if this is intended behavior or not, maybe submit a bug report?

edit: under 30% of the time actually, since it is the sum of two uniform random numbers instead of one

Guess not!

esquilax fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 14, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

esquilax posted:

If I'm reading the code correctly, skill_dispersion is a random number from 0 to 465 but weapon_dispersion is a constant. You should still theoretically get a skill gain for like 30% of the shots, but would get the "you need a more accurate gun" message on 1 in 50 shots. Not sure if this is intended behavior or not, maybe submit a bug report?

edit: under 30% of the time actually, since it is the sum of two uniform random numbers instead of one
Nah, the "false" in skill_dispersion gets passed along to the rand_or_max lines within the function, so it should just return the maximum skill dispersion, not a randomized value.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

chiefnewo posted:

First time I met a tank drone I stepped out the door of a house and got plastered across the front step.

This, except it was my starting shelter.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Hey, when examining installed bionics, there's now an "active" and "passive" tab - but I don't seem to be able to switch between them. The setup looks similar to the crafting menu, where you use < and > to go between tabs, except either one just closes the bionic menu again. Anybody know what's going on with that?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Hey, when examining installed bionics, there's now an "active" and "passive" tab - but I don't seem to be able to switch between them. The setup looks similar to the crafting menu, where you use < and > to go between tabs, except either one just closes the bionic menu again. Anybody know what's going on with that?
Use tab to go between the two.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

AceRimmer posted:

Use tab to go between the two.
Ah, there we go. Thanks.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's possible that there is a bug from when they switched to a more fine grained accuracy system. I know that there's a really big bug with recoil involving that.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
My current character is still trucking along. I had to abandon my plans for the mall for a little bit due to a few hiccups. I nearly died a couple of times, once to a hulk I had left for dead after collapsing a flaming house on it a few days earlier, it decided to show me that I had been mistaken by charging from the smoldering rubble and beating my rear end up and down a cul-de-sac, while I desperately emptied a .38 revolver in it's face as fast I could load it. The other close call was to a survivor that just ran up and started blasting chunks off of me with his shotgun without saying a word, but I managed to nail him in the face with a Molotov just as he was about to finish me off, and he decided that being horribly on fire was the more pressing concern. Then I wrecked my bike real good while scouting, a lot of time was spent getting that sorted out and not very exciting, but I did take the time to fire bomb a Fungal Spire while driving my newly fixed bike back to the safe house.

With my bike repaired, and my guy healed up, it was time to get back to clearing the mall. After I found an APC on one of my scouting expeditions I decided to go about the mall a little differently than my previous plan of lots of fire and running. I put a sidecar on my bike, strapped a Ma Deuce to that, and 428 rounds of Match Grade American Diplomacy later the mall is now about 2/3 done, I'm guessing. I cleared the entire east side, everything on the north side is paying for their earthly transgressions in the burning house I mentioned in my last post, and most of the west side is finished. There's one large horde in the southwest corner that I know of, plus whatever is left on the south side and interior of the Mall. I don't how many zombies were killed, but before moving on from one of my firing positions I did count 62 corpses. I took up four different positions during this, so 150-200 dead slackjaws is probably a safe estimate, I think. All in all, not a bad day's effort considering all my guy had to do was get stupid sloppy drunk while eating boiled eggs in between brief bouts of slowly driving short distances and mutilating the re-recently deceased.

Action shot after I had cleared the east side and re-positioned to the northwest corner. There's a lot more corpses there than it looks they tended to pile on top of each other:

Turrets seem to have been greatly improved since I last messed with them. You can chose between single and burst fire, manually aim them, turn them on and off, they shoot over you vehicle unless nasties are literally crawling on it, and if you're blocking their line of fire an IFF alarm starts to sound so you can move or turn it off (I don't know if it will eventually shoot you anyway because I wasn't brave enough to test it, and this won't protect you from dispersion obviously). The only thing I don't get is in the turret control menu what do m and M mean? I figured out that 1 and B is the single/burst toggle, and thought that m and M was similar except manual fire only, but that does not appear to be the case.

Also, I really wish there was a way to couch a spear when in a vehicle.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Also, I really wish there was a way to couch a spear when in a vehicle.

This is basically what I want most from this game. Please let me be a radical post-apocalyptic biker knight.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Supposedly you can manually mount turrets too. Or someone was making the code for it. I need to find that pull, because it'd be amazing.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Welp, just tried my first character, following the new game guide on the wiki and advice in the thread. It went pretty well until I followed the road out of shelter, set off a landmine and got one-shotted by shrapnel to the head. :)

The one thing I'm confused about, the guide says to 'check your map' to find a route to town, but my map was completely blank aside from the shelter. Is that something that's changed since the guide was written, and if so how you you find more loot-able buildings/where do you go once you've looted the shelter?

Edit: Started a second character, find the locker I smashed already smashed. Took me a second to click, but when I did I just headed out and looted my previous corpse. Glad I didn't step on a second landmine, that would have been REALLY embarrassing.

Edit 2: Lasted about two minutes after that. Man, when they say 'tough zombie', they MEAN it.

VVEvery tile other then the one I was in was 'undiscovered' or something to that effect. Just a sea of grey hashes.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 15, 2015

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Welp, just tried my first character, following the new game guide on the wiki and advice in the thread. It went pretty well until I followed the road out of shelter, set off a landmine and got one-shotted by shrapnel to the head. :)

The one thing I'm confused about, the guide says to 'check your map' to find a route to town, but my map was completely blank aside from the shelter. Is that something that's changed since the guide was written, and if so how you you find more loot-able buildings/where do you go once you've looted the shelter?

Blank, as in the shelter was literally the only tile shown, or blank as in a lot of fields and trees? If the latter, that is an unlucky start, increasing city density or initial view range should make it less common.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't see any lootable buildings on your map, you'll just have to hoof it until you do. Most of the time shelters are by a road, so you can try following it until you find someplace to rummage through.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Were you perhaps in a basement or something? You should be able to see for a little ways around on your map.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Supposedly you can manually mount turrets too. Or someone was making the code for it. I need to find that pull, because it'd be amazing.

This is what I was hoping for. It may very well be in, but I just couldn't figure out how to do it if so. You sort of have to post up on fences and in windows to fire the M2 while holding it now, which is accomplished by simply standing on top of it.

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is basically what I want most from this game. Please let me be a radical post-apocalyptic biker knight.

I'm not a programmer or anything, but I have thought about it a lot, and the best way I've thought up is to make it something you perform by 'a'ctivating a spear like weapon while holding it (or maybe it just goes to your hand if you do it while it's in your inventory). This let's you press 'f'ire and choose a square in a tile around your character then the spear enters a readying state and after a turn or two enters a couched state. When in couched state it creates an invisible bullet that follows you around in the chosen tile relative to your character with a damage multiplied by the speed of your character with worse damage than normal while walking at an average pace, and damage similar to a normal attack while running(The upside of doing it this way if possible, means that you could in theory be an effective jouster with a pair of rollerblades or a shitload of meth). If you choose a different square or hit something then then the spear returns to the readying state or perhaps you have to 'f'ire it again.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I think it's good that the interface prevents me from trying to fill my boots with clean water.

E: Along that vein, are macros in the game? I'd like to be able to just hit Shift+F3 or whatever to make and disassemble a makeshift sling 60 goddamned times to train survival to 1.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I think it's good that the interface prevents me from trying to fill my boots with clean water.

E: Along that vein, are macros in the game? I'd like to be able to just hit Shift+F3 or whatever to make and disassemble a makeshift sling 60 goddamned times to train survival to 1.

Just try foraging bushes. You'll get that level in a hurry, and some stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Solid Poopsnake posted:

re: macros - no, because they are not considered good design by kevingranade. In cases where they might make sense (and solve problems that can't be solved other ways like balance mods or just putting up with the bullshit, like "I want a single button to press instead of constantly doing '/,'"), he believes adding a new button function should be the solution. :downs:

there's still no way to move things along the ground in one button press, note