Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ShineDog posted:

The soul searching is a big part of comic Matt. It ended up really dragging in the midway however. Perhaps I've just had enough of the "WE'RE THE SAME YOU AND I" that features in literally every superhero fiction.

It's not cliche if it's actually true and not just a weak rhetorical flourish on part of the villain.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's not cliche if it's actually true and not just a weak rhetorical flourish on part of the villain.

Yeah, normally when a villain breaks that out I roll my eyes, but this show earned it and it was a pretty big aspect of what motivated Murdock's choices.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Chill Penguin posted:

Am I too late for Iron Fist casting chat? Well, I don't know about Danny Rand, but if they bring Shang-Chi into it then they ought to cast that Afghani kid who is pretty much a reincarnated Bruce Lee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pw7ni8GH6Q

He would have been a great star in the Clones of Bruce Lee film.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

WickedHate posted:

And whoever left would have to live under Hydra's rule, which isn't likely to be all that fun.

They presumably didn't know about Thor being on Earth, so Hydra's rule PROBABLY wouldn't have "stuck" after Thor smashed up their Superweapons.

(And yeah Dr Doom and Magneto at least have basically personally committed several 9/11s each to new york alone so that panel is even more dumb than just "yeah they've killed more people than that")

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Did Magneto turn New York into a concentration camp before or after this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

e X posted:

Did Magneto turn New York into a concentration camp before or after this?

After. Because he forgot about 9/11 you see.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
After! But it wasn't really him it was Xorn pretending to be Magneto pretending to be Xorn.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

reignonyourparade posted:

They presumably didn't know about Thor being on Earth, so Hydra's rule PROBABLY wouldn't have "stuck" after Thor smashed up their Superweapons.

Hahahaha, what a plot hole, thanks for reminding me. Captain America 2: Thor 3: The Complete Destruction Of 3 Helicarriers By Thor Alone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Apoplexy posted:

Hahahaha, what a plot hole, thanks for reminding me. Captain America 2: Thor 3: The Complete Destruction Of 3 Helicarriers By Thor Alone.

They may have had Bruce Banner's name on their list, but that was a pretty iffy success too. Also you're only like 50/50 on Tony not being in an Iron Man suit when you go genocide. It wasn't nearly the foolproof plan they thought, even leaving aside the whole Nick Fury and Captain America taking them down glitch.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
They definitely had banner on the list, Sitwell says so.

Clearly didn't know much about banners condition.

Youre not supposed to think of the other avengers in the solo films though remember, we're supposed to pretend they don't exist.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's still a good thing that Cap and co stopped them first though because they would've killed a hell of a lot of people regardless, so I wouldn't exactly call it a PLOT hole. The Stakes are just somewhat lower than everyone thinks they are, but still pretty high.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Nah, it's not that, it's that the timetable of Cap2 was so thin that they didn't have time to call in any assets like Iron Man or The Hulk to deal with Hydra launching Insight.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

reignonyourparade posted:

It's still a good thing that Cap and co stopped them first though because they would've killed a hell of a lot of people regardless, so I wouldn't exactly call it a PLOT hole. The Stakes are just somewhat lower than everyone thinks they are, but still pretty high.

No, I don't either. I just meant that, if Insight went online, Thor could've blown through all 3 Helicarriers alone without a dent. Granted, he would've been a few million lives down at that point, so it's not arguing about how good the outcome was.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

But the thing is that Hydra was still pretending to be SHIELD at that point. If Hydra's plan in Winter Soldier had gone off without a hitch, no one would even know they still exist. SHIELD would've been the one implicated (and kind of ends up being that anyway), the remnants of SHIELD would've been the one on the receiving end of HulkThor vengeance. Which is just the way that Hydra wanted it; billions of the right kinds of people dead -- the exact sorts of people who would've dug deeper and exposed their plots -- and meanwhile the rest of the world is pissed at the dying shell of the only organization that would've been a threat to them.

What Cap does in Winter Soldier is actually kind of similar to what Daredevil does in this show: he exposes the people hiding in the shadows, making sure the right villains are accountable for the right crimes.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Sorvah posted:

Youre not supposed to think of the other avengers in the solo films though remember, we're supposed to pretend they don't exist.

That is definitely the most glaring flaw of the whole "shared universe" idea. If a hero is overwhelmed there are literally hundreds of heroes who could help him, but instead they have to face the bad guy and his army of henchmen and succeed against incredible odds alone just because.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ChickenMedium posted:

That is definitely the most glaring flaw of the whole "shared universe" idea. If a hero is overwhelmed there are literally hundreds of heroes who could help him, but instead they have to face the bad guy and his army of henchmen and succeed against incredible odds alone just because.

Yeah, but their friends are all being overwhelmed by their own bad guys and henchman armies at the same time :v:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Polaron posted:

Yeah, but their friends are all being overwhelmed by their own bad guys and henchman armies at the same time :v:

I guess that's a way to go with it. I'd like to see a newscast in the background of some future Marvel production that is just story after story of horrific supervillain atrocities and dastardly plots being foiled by intrepid superheroes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Does this count as a spoiler? Jessica and Luke Cage on set.

If her series is supposed to air before his, does it mean he's already powered up a this point, or maybe she knew him before, or...either way I'm pretty hyped for this.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Polaron posted:

Yeah, isn't there at least a 1:25 hero to villain ratio?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

This thread moves pretty quick so maybe someone mentioned this, but did anybody notice the quick hint-drop during the college flashbacks to "that Greek girl" or somesuch thing pointing pretty clearly at Elektra?

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 15, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Everyone did, don't worry. It's going to be a likely season 2 plot.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BrianWilly posted:

Does this count as a spoiler? Jessica and Luke Cage on set.

If her series is supposed to air before his, does it mean he's already powered up a this point, or maybe she knew him before, or...either way I'm pretty hyped for this.

Maybe he's just wearing a helmet because it's still the law and if he didn't wear one he'd inevitably be pulled over by some cop who doesn't know him for not wearing one. Better to just put it on and ride in peace frankly. Also, I was watching Brooklyn 99 last night and I'm kind of sad that Terry Crews didn't get cast as Luke. I've never seen Mike Colter in anything to pass judgement on the guy, but he just doesn't have quite the same physical presence as Terry and that seems to be handy in a guy with superhuman strength and durability.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

strangemusic posted:

This thread moves pretty quick so maybe someone mentioned this, but did anybody notice the quick hint-drop during the college flashbacks to "that Greek girl" or somesuch thing pointing pretty clearly at Elektra?

Yes. It's directly from the comics.

Specifically, from the Man Without Fear run. http://marvel.wikia.com/Daredevil:_The_Man_Without_Fear_Vol_1_2

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

Maybe he's just wearing a helmet because it's still the law and if he didn't wear one he'd inevitably be pulled over by some cop who doesn't know him for not wearing one. Better to just put it on and ride in peace frankly. Also, I was watching Brooklyn 99 last night and I'm kind of sad that Terry Crews didn't get cast as Luke. I've never seen Mike Colter in anything to pass judgement on the guy, but he just doesn't have quite the same physical presence as Terry and that seems to be handy in a guy with superhuman strength and durability.

Dude, Mike's a big loving dude. I'm sure he's been suckin' down creatine like a hooker on holiday pay so he's even bigger than normal.

He's also pretty darn present in shows like Good Wife, his character's almost a Wilson Fiskish type dude. I'm really looking forward to seeing Netflix's take on superpowers and poo poo. I think they cast a good dude to be Cage. I wonder if they tried to save some money during Daredevil's stuff to help with the obviously more expensive CGI required for super-stuff.

What were some of the more notable Luke Cage villains and plots?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Drifter posted:

Dude, Mike's a big loving dude. I'm sure he's been suckin' down creatine like a hooker on holiday pay so he's even bigger than normal.

He's also pretty darn present in shows like Good Wife, his character's almost a Wilson Fiskish type dude. I'm really looking forward to seeing Netflix's take on superpowers and poo poo. I think they cast a good dude to be Cage. I wonder if they tried to save some money during Daredevil's stuff to help with the obviously more expensive CGI required for super-stuff.

What were some of the more notable Luke Cage villains and plots?

Unfortunately Sony owns the right to Dr. Doom.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They've already said that when we meet Luke Cage he will already have his powers.

Also for the talk of where the other Avengers are during Captain America, I can't speak for Thor or Hulk or Iron Man but Hawkeye's absence is apparently explained in Age of Ultron. If the reports are true it's a pretty good reason too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Tony: "Hey why didn't you call me during the Hydra takeover"
Steve: "...Because we're not actually friends?"

There.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BrianWilly posted:

There.

Yeah, people tend to conflate their own, comic inspired versions of the characters with their movie counterparts. At the end of the Avengers, these people were colleagues at best.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BrianWilly posted:

There.

You realize that makes Steve look like a total tool right? And also doesn't explain why he'd even be in the Avengers if he needed to be friends with all of them to agree to save the world beside them. Not that he didn't appear to be becoming friends with Tony by the end of Avengers regardless.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Also for the talk of where the other Avengers are during Captain America, I can't speak for Thor or Hulk or Iron Man but Hawkeye's absence is apparently explained in Age of Ultron. If the reports are true it's a pretty good reason too.

The hot topic on everyone's mind, "Where's Hawkeye?", finally explained

BrianWilly posted:

There.

I'm sorry your family died Little Timmy, but I just can't stand that Iron Man jerk :argh:

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 15, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Valeyard posted:

The hot topic on everyone's mind, "Where's Hawkeye?", finally explained

Well since he's the only one missing that actually was part of SHIELD yes it was something that people were wondering.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

e X posted:

Yeah, people tend to conflate their own, comic inspired versions of the characters with their movie counterparts. At the end of the Avengers, these people were colleagues at best.

No, I think the end of the Central Park scene showed that Tony and Bruce were dating, right?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Well since he's the only one missing that actually was part of SHIELD yes it was something that people were wondering.

You're right, I just can't stand Jeremy Renner

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The real answer is who cares.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

dj_clawson posted:

No, I think the end of the Central Park scene showed that Tony and Bruce were dating, right?

I'd say they're a bit past that.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
This is how I felt watching this show. I enjoyed it as much as this guy enjoys his continental breakfast. It was so good!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

I think people may have been wondering that only in the same way you wonder if the fish you had last night is responsible for the diarrhea that's dribbling out right now.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Valeyard posted:

You're right, I just can't stand Jeremy Renner

And yet he is inexplicably popular in fanfic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Apoplexy posted:

No, I don't either. I just meant that, if Insight went online, Thor could've blown through all 3 Helicarriers alone without a dent. Granted, he would've been a few million lives down at that point, so it's not arguing about how good the outcome was.

It's a good thing Thor 2 took place in London. Man would Hydra have felt dumb killing Jane Foster with their helicarriers just as she and Thor are trying to stop the Dark Elves from unmaking all of creation.

Deadpool posted:

I like Hawkeye and not only have no problem with him in the movies but enjoy him being there. But, being completely honest, it never even crossed my mind that Hawkeye should totally be having some sort of roll in the Winter Soldier arc. I even took the time to wonder if Strange had his powers already and if so how hilariously trying to shoot hims was going to blow up in Hydra's face. I also wondered whether Luke Cage was on their radar and whether shooting him would have an effect. Briefly I wondered if due to the distance Daredevil would be able to recognize and dodge the bullets. Not even a single thought about Hawkeye though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

tsob posted:

You realize that makes Steve look like a total tool right? And also doesn't explain why he'd even be in the Avengers if he needed to be friends with all of them to agree to save the world beside them. Not that he didn't appear to be becoming friends with Tony by the end of Avengers regardless.
Well the Avengers were born more out of necessity than rapport. The whole thing with the Hydra takeover was that Steve didn't know who to trust. Tony was the one who actually designed parts of the Project Insight helicarriers. People like Rumlow who were on Cap's team had already betrayed him and turned out to be Hydra.

So, like...yeah, Steve probably didn't call Tony because they weren't friends. Not great friends who trust each other with this stuff, anyway.