Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

-Anders posted:

...and then it's on to priming and getting some antifowling on there.

Those goddamn sea ducks :argh:

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Scraping buddies unite.

Finally finished one side. About 1/3rd of the other side is done too.

Dreading the sanding. What grade paper are you using, Anders?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I've been using 60 grain paper as that's the least my marina has to offer when renting their machine. It still takes a while though.
I'm going out there today after work to hopefully get the last 4/5s of the last side done. Then it's just filling out all the places I've gone too deep, and then it's on to priming and painting for like a week or so. Lots of other projects to be done too, but those are coming along slowly as well.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Only reason I've ever heard of this is because I remember the mission to hunt them down in USNF '94 was such a goddamn pain in the rear end, as I recall it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We had our own sea shadow, HMS Smyge. Used as a testbed for the stealth technology later incorporated in the Visby corvettes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Slightly off topic, but there is a ROV streaming live for the next six months, and they had a rare encounter with a Sperm Whale while live:

https://youtu.be/SkBpummjR5I

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

-Anders posted:

I've been using 60 grain paper as that's the least my marina has to offer when renting their machine. It still takes a while though.
I'm going out there today after work to hopefully get the last 4/5s of the last side done. Then it's just filling out all the places I've gone too deep, and then it's on to priming and painting for like a week or so. Lots of other projects to be done too, but those are coming along slowly as well.

I just finish sanding the last of the boat today. I started at 1530, ended at 2000.
At 1930 i found out that the sander had a speed setting, and I had it on the lowest possible all day.
You may all laugh.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I bought a bunch of 120 paper which I now realise will be useless, better get some 40/60. I also intend to use a polishing machine I bought for sanding, so we'll see how dumb that turns out to be.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Visby corvettes.
Speak of the devil. Today the Visby-class HMS Härnösand moored right outside our office.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Collateral Damage posted:

Speak of the devil. Today the Visby-class HMS Härnösand moored right outside our office.

Must be depressing to not be able to walk about on deck on your off time :(

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
IMOCA 60s, and canting keels in general are pretty :stonk:
http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/04/17/video-roll-roll-roll-the-boat/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I got done applying filler, sanding it and painting the first layer of epoxy primer.
Now only 5-6 more layers of paint to go. :v:

I also got done installing a new table for the cockpit on a swivel mount, I've installed USB-power in the main cabin for charging all those electronics. (I'll add even more outlets soon-ish)
I also installed a small chartplotter on a swivel mount (I love swivel mounts), and when the boat gets in the water I'll add a depth sounder as well.
I'm going to epoxy it inside the hull, so I'll have to wait until the boat is in the water before I can find the best location for it.

Bonus video of the chartplotter-on-a-swivel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfq-N5YvSZg

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
The CHIRP4 is pretty sweet, I was glad to see they put the CHIRP tech in the older, smaller chassis.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I'm curious to see how well the fishfinder/chirp world when I epoxy the transducer to the inside of the hull.
I never intended to really use it as i don't do much fishing, it was really just to get a depth reading. If it works that'll just be an added bonus.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

This is not my boat. It belongs to a friend of my father, who is getting on in years and has no kids of his own, so an arrangement was made that I'd get to use it in exchange for helping with maintenance, with the understanding that I'll take it over eventually. It's called Strändernas svall, named after a 1946 novel by Eyvind Jonsson, translated into English as Return to Ithaca; the original title means something like "the swell against the shore". She's a 9.95 meter long plastic yacht of a class called Aphrodite 101, built in Denmark in 1977 as hull number 13. She sails well but has sadly seen very little use in recent years, and there's a lot of long-deferred maintenance that should be taken care of.

Fortunately for me, the original Volvo engine broke down in the late 90's and was replaced with a new Kubota two-cylinder diesel that has a closed-loop freshwater cooling system (unlike the old engine, which circulated seawater directly into the engine), so I don't expect too much trouble with that, at least. Still, nobody's done on an oil change on the thing in probably a decade, so that's one of the first points of order. If anyone has any protips on what you should look into on an engine like this, please let me know! I know very little about combustion engines and I don't have a driver's license.

Either way, first thing to get taken care of is the hull. I should probably scape and re-paint the bottom completely but I'll postpone that for next year and just patch it up for this summer.

Hidden by the rudder is...

... a bunch of last year's barnacles. Got rid of those all over the hull today.

And took care of some gunk in the waterline (before to the right, after to the left).

Tomorrow I'm gonna scrape the bottom some more and patch up some places where the paint needs reinforcing. Next weekend it's oil change time and checking that all the connections below the waterline seem okay. Also gonna take the opportunity to watch some long-tailed ducks while both they and I are around here (they migrate northward as spring progresses).

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

TheFluff posted:

Fortunately for me, the original Volvo engine broke down in the late 90's and was replaced with a new Kubota two-cylinder diesel that has a closed-loop freshwater cooling system (unlike the old engine, which circulated seawater directly into the engine), so I don't expect too much trouble with that, at least. Still, nobody's done on an oil change on the thing in probably a decade, so that's one of the first points of order. If anyone has any protips on what you should look into on an engine like this, please let me know! I know very little about combustion engines and I don't have a driver's license.

I am far from an expert on Marine diesel engines, but when you change the oil and oil filter be sure to service the fuel water separator and/or fuel filters as well. As long as you are using synthetic oil, it is likely recommended that you change your oil and filters at least once a year as I doubt you will run it enough hours to hit an actual service interval (check to see if there is a factory manual anywhere with recommendations.)

Prior to using the engine, you should also drain any water from the fuel water separator bowl.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Update time!
I've actually come so far as to be done with priming the bottom (6 layers of primer) and now I've even put on the first layer of antifouling (:birddrugs:).
Unfortunately it started raining yesterday and will for some time it seems, so I'll have to wait to finish the job.

I've made an attempt at a video-log of sorts, I'll probably do some more whenever there's something to tell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2P4Xu1r3s

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

-Anders posted:

Update time!
I've actually come so far as to be done with priming the bottom (6 layers of primer) and now I've even put on the first layer of antifouling (:birddrugs:).
Unfortunately it started raining yesterday and will for some time it seems, so I'll have to wait to finish the job.

I've made an attempt at a video-log of sorts, I'll probably do some more whenever there's something to tell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2P4Xu1r3s

Nice! You're one hell of a lot more productive than I am, though :negative:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just finished pulling my mast and installing radar, ais + vhf antennas, spreader lights, wind anemometer, davis windex, anchor light, red over green, steaming light , electric foghorn and radar reflector. I think I have a total of around 200 feet of wire in my mast now, the hardest part was installing conduit.

Oh, also had my running rigging and furler replaced (I didn't do that though).

I finally finished almost everything today - all my lights work, the AIS transmits/receives correctly and the wind anemometer works a treat. All I need now is to install the radar interface box and the hideously expensive propitiatory network cable, hook up the foghorn to the VHF and I'm DONE. All the new lights are LED which are rad and use very low power (loving pricey though)

I'm exhausted

edit: I also found my compression post had rotted out, blergh, so I had to replace that as well.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Alctel posted:

I just finished pulling my mast and installing radar, ais + vhf antennas, spreader lights, wind anemometer, davis windex, anchor light, red over green, steaming light , electric foghorn and radar reflector. I think I have a total of around 200 feet of wire in my mast now, the hardest part was installing conduit.

Oh, also had my running rigging and furler replaced (I didn't do that though).

I finally finished almost everything today - all my lights work, the AIS transmits/receives correctly and the wind anemometer works a treat. All I need now is to install the radar interface box and the hideously expensive propitiatory network cable, hook up the foghorn to the VHF and I'm DONE. All the new lights are LED which are rad and use very low power (loving pricey though)

I'm exhausted

edit: I also found my compression post had rotted out, blergh, so I had to replace that as well.

Speaking of being productive, holy hell man!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Guys, remember to keep an eye on the weather forecast while you're out on the water. Storms can get pretty nasty, pretty quick. A friend of mine lost his sailboat in this mess:

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/04/several_boaters_missing_after.html

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Guys, remember to keep an eye on the weather forecast while you're out on the water. Storms can get pretty nasty, pretty quick. A friend of mine lost his sailboat in this mess:

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/04/several_boaters_missing_after.html

Yikes.

For my fellow sailors:
* Know how to very quickly heave-to in heavy weather
* Know that scandalizing the main is an option if you get in trouble and depowering your sails becomes an emergency (as in, release your halyard) because messing up your halyard or mainsail is preferable to losing your boat
* Be very conservative about reefing your sails. Do it before you need to, not after. If a gale comes up and you already had two reefs in your main you're going to be in a lot less trouble than if you'd been charging through the wind with a full main

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was on the opposite shore of the bay than where the regatta stuff happened, and it went from overcast and a light breeze to a downpour and tropical storm force winds in what seemed like 15 minutes.

We were having a crawfish boil and had a couple tents set up, so we had to scramble to pull the tents down so they didn't blow away.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I feel like I've been spoiled sailing in heavy weather on the Hobie; 6-10 foot swells with 30 knot wind on one of those things is both kinds of insanity :q:

On anything bigger or more expensive, though, reef the mains'l and haul her in close.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The guy in this story, Tony, was on our north American champion race team. He's drat lucky to be alive.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/04/light_o_mobile_rescues_3_men_s.html#incart_related_stories

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SuperDucky posted:

The guy in this story, Tony, was on our north American champion race team. He's drat lucky to be alive.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/04/light_o_mobile_rescues_3_men_s.html#incart_related_stories

So this is probably a dumb question from a landlubber, but back in my teens when I did a bit of crewing on a sail boat in some summer races locally, everyone was required to be wearing life vests at all times during the race. In all of the stories about this regatta disaster, a common theme is 'the life vests were below'. Life vests seem like a fairly obvious thing to have on during sailboat racing where it's really not *that* uncommon for a guy to go overboard or for a boat to capsize, why are these crews not wearing them?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Well, there is a difference. Most of the racing I do is inland lake where our racing rules don't state you're required to have one on. Most of the coastal, all offshore races will require you to have one on in the rules. There is a flag that race committee can fly at the start that requires crew to wear PFDs, regardless if its written into the rules or not, kinda like surf warning flags on beaches.

I haven't had a chance to talk to Tony since this happened so I'm not sure what his rationalization for it is. He's an experienced racer, with several Farr 40 (very high performance ocean racer) wins under his belt.

Like I said, personally, I don't wear mine all the time, especially if I'm crewing in the cockpit. If I'm doing something that requires me to go forward of the companionway and its blowing, say, over 12, I'll certainly wear it. If the water is salty, you're goddamn right I'm wearing one all the time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Interesting, thanks.

Also, this was posted on another website, and it's interesting to see how the wind came up. They ride it out downwind, which seems odd to me, I always though it was best to point into the wind (they are under power, not sails)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJF7i5z9lQ4

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Inshore/nearshore, nobody around here really wears PFDs unless they're skiing, or underage. That's just general boating, I haven't done too much sailing, so I don't know about that.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ever wonder what it's like to drydock a sub? Well here's a whole playlist of videos

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Patched up the anti-fouling paint yesterday. Of course it turned out it's not quite the same off-white color as the previous paint so now it looks kinda spotty :argh:
Guess I'll have to paint most of the bottom anyway just so it won't look retarded.

Today we ran the engine for a little bit (cooling was arranged by getting a few buckets of seawater) to get the oil warmed up a bit, then pumped out the old engine oil. It was black but not contaminated in any way as far as I could see, so that's a good sign. Even after close to six months on land, the engine started immediately without any hesitation, also a good sign. Tried to change the oil filter but couldn't get it off, and we don't have a tool suitable for removing it. Gonna postpone filling the new oil until next weekend because of that.

Checked the fuel water separator, there was no water in there as far as I could tell. I've ordered a new water separator and a new fuel filter but it hasn't arrived yet. Also ordered a new impeller for the coolant pump.

Engine from the top; the stern of the boat is towards the bottom of the picture. The engine is a Nanni Diesel 2.50 HE, which is a marine-ized two-cylinder Kubota industrial diesel engine. The part that says Volvo Penta is the transmission housing; the boat retains the old Volvo saildrive. Gonna have to check the oil there too for contamination but I doubt it'll be necessary to change it.

Engine from the front. Conveniently it has a builtin oil drain pump, in the upper left of the picture. The alternator drive belt was slipping occasionally last summer so I'll tighten that up. Engine manual says to check the belt every service interval and "replace if necessary"; I should probably order a new one. Can't hurt after 15 years.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 2, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Locator, talked to Tony on Wednesday.

The long and the short of it is, the storm came up so quickly no one had a chance to don any preservers before poo poo hit the fan. They were about 150 yards from the finish and thought they could out run the storm through the finish line and take the rags down, then. They didn't have time. Not that I'd say its an excuse when you're on a saltwater body, but, there's your answer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Locator, talked to Tony on Wednesday.

The long and the short of it is, the storm came up so quickly no one had a chance to don any preservers before poo poo hit the fan. They were about 150 yards from the finish and thought they could out run the storm through the finish line and take the rags down, then. They didn't have time. Not that I'd say its an excuse when you're on a saltwater body, but, there's your answer.

Cool, thanks. I haven't stepped foot on a sailboat in well over 30 years now, so it just surprised me, given that it was required for everyone participating in the races that I was in as a teenager, but that was a pretty limited exposure to the sport and the rules were no doubt local.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'd imagine that the competitiveness of the event probably has an effect too. For a lot of people, the Dauphin Island race is as much a social event as it is a competitive event.

As in, let's go for a sail with a bunch of people, then sit around drinking beer at the end.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
We like to say our Drinking Club has a Sailing problem, you're absolutely right. Club racing on Wednesdays and Saturdays generally ain't the Volvo Ocean Race.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 4, 2015

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Well my projects don't move fast (life, a babby, etc), but there's some progress. Scraping is finished, and got one half sanded. Decided to stick with 120 paper after all since there was basically nothing left between me and the gelcoat. It seems like a good decision, as I still got a whole side done in a day.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If any of you guys have a mercury outboard made past 1990, where are you getting your parts? I was looking something up for my boss today and I found poo poo for availability through our major suppliers and found nothing past 1990. Almost as if mercury pulled their poo poo in house around that time.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elmnt80 posted:

If any of you guys have a mercury outboard made past 1990, where are you getting your parts? I was looking something up for my boss today and I found poo poo for availability through our major suppliers and found nothing past 1990. Almost as if mercury pulled their poo poo in house around that time.

What kind of parts? I can easily get the usual maintenance stuff (water pump, gaskets) from my local dealer for my 92 20hp tiller shift two stroke.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I was looking for basic poo poo like impellers, water pump kits and gasket sets. Both the sierra and walker catalogs (both 2014/2015) I was searching through ended at 1990. Are the parts you get specifically mercury branded parts that were straight from mercury themselves being sold or was it an aftermarket company's stuff? Its a work related thing, so I'm kinda limited in what I can pull parts from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Best value might be to just go through a dealer and get Quicksilver brand, which is basically Mercury OEM. Might be a little more expensive, but if it's work related and/or for your boss(es) the few extra dollars for maintenance parts wouldn't be a bad move. We always had trouble getting Merc parts in correctly from places like Sierra.

If you do want to go aftermarket, call up a boat repair place in your area that specifically ISNT a Mercury Authorized service center and ask them about getting parts.