Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Timby posted:

No tracks, just artists thus far:

They put out a couple gameplay videos, of "Gold on the Ceiling" by the Black Keys and "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark" by Fall Out Boy.

ixnay fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

loving kill me now, it's these assholes.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Allen Wren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fty29zmxndo

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Oh my god it's Intel Discovered but with a guitar controller.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Allen Wren posted:

I have no idea why but this song always makes me think of Sweet Home for the NES. Which is probably why it makes my skin crawl when I hear it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Orange Harrison posted:

Oh my god it's Intel Discovered but with a guitar controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9iwVRY_OwY

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

gently caress, not loving Pops Ghostly again. I boarded up that haunted house (:downs:) years ago. You owe me.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I just left the event Guitar Hero has in NYC for the demo of the game. They had the Fall Out Boy song, Killers, and Black Keys. I played everything on Veteran (expert) figuring I'd pick it up as I go. The more difficult part wasn't the six button thing itself, more that you can't hold buttons behind the one you want to play anymore. Also I think they replaced tilting your guitar with a button labeled HERO POWER.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

ixnay posted:

They put out a couple gameplay videos, of "Howlin' For You" by the Black Keys and "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark" by Fall Out Boy.

Did you actually see a video for "Howlin'" or are you confusing it with "Gold On The Ceiling"

---

Alter Bridge “City of Achilles”
American Authors “Best Day of My Life”
Band Of Skulls “Asleep At The Wheel”
Biffy Clyro “Sounds Like Balloons”
The Black Keys “Gold On The Ceiling”
Black Veil Brides
Blitz Kids “Sometimes”
Carrie Underwood
Ed Sheeran “Sing”
Fall Out Boy “My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)”
Gary Clark Jr. “Don’t Owe You A Thang”
The Gaslight Anthem
Green Day
Jake Bugg “What Doesn’t Kill You”
The Killers “When You Were Young”
The Lumineers
My Chemical Romance “Na Na Na Na”
Neon Trees
Of Monsters and Men “Little Talks”
Pierce The Veil
The Rolling Stones
Skaters
Skrillex
State Champs
Vampire Weekend
War on Drugs “Under The Pressure”
Weezer

edit:

"The more difficult part wasn't the six button thing itself, more that you can't hold buttons behind the one you want to play anymore."

This is actually the most troubling thing I've heard about the game... Man that is not good news

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 15, 2015

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Well, at least this time the setlist definitely seems more focused.
Problem is it's focused on high school dances.

toymach1ne posted:

"The more difficult part wasn't the six button thing itself, more that you can't hold buttons behind the one you want to play anymore."

This is actually the most troubling thing I've heard about the game... Man that is not good news
I'm positive that's an oversight from the new control scheme. Seems adding a second row and removing anchoring is one step forward and three steps back as far as their "accuracy" angle.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Is it cool to bitch about the setlist? Because that looks loving terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

whypick1 posted:

Is it cool to bitch about the setlist? Because that looks loving terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.

Hey, they won't have to worry about comparisons to the old games if they skew to people young enough to have never played them!

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
So I probably just missed TAF because I was also at the NYC thing!

The Killers song was "When You Were Young" (2/5 Difficulty triangles) and Veteran (Expert) had chord shapes of mixed black and white and also "barre" notes that looked like Oreos after you twist a cookie side off.

And yeah it seems like you can't tilt to activate anymore either?

Gaspar Lewis fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 15, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I just left the event Guitar Hero has in NYC for the demo of the game. They had the Fall Out Boy song, Killers, and Black Keys. I played everything on Veteran (expert) figuring I'd pick it up as I go. The more difficult part wasn't the six button thing itself, more that you can't hold buttons behind the one you want to play anymore. Also I think they replaced tilting your guitar with a button labeled HERO POWER.

I was there too!

I was never quite that good at the plastic guitar, so I played the medium and advanced modes. The main difference is that the advanced mode will have you switch between the top and bottom buttons in the middle of a run, while the medium mode generally had you staying within the top or bottom buttons within a section of the song.

The HERO POWER Button is fantastic; it's a big button directly next to the strum bar. By far the easiest way to activate star power/overdrive one of these games has had yet, at least on guitar. The prototype controller felt great, but it does have the traditional Guitar Hero clicky triangle bar, which I know some people here don't like. Didn't seem too hard to grip, though, even covered in nerd sweat as it was.

Also, the UI seemed demo-specific (i.e. no big song select or main menu or GHTV preview), but I did love how clean it looked. Definitely a lot nicer to look at than Guitar Hero was. The in-game UI is nice and minimal, although it's very difficult to tell how many ticks of star power you have (they're tiny dots under a larger triangular indicator). One thing that bugged me was that when I changed difficulty mid-song, there was rollback or countdown with the new chart, though hopefully that's just because it's so early in development. And while there's no in-game points or stars indicator yet, there is a hit percentage and stars on the final screen. I always liked the look of DJ Hero, so I was glad to see FreeStyle Games kept that going.

Finally, I don't know if this is in any of the released videos, but during the Killers song, the notechart disappears during the guitar breaks and you look around at your band. It's a neat trick, especially with the quality of the FMV and the miming actors. I'm honestly excited about the first-person perspective, it's really cool - I could take or leave the FMV, but it's a smart trick for them to be able to run it off of a tablet, since it's obviously much less graphically intense than 3D rendering is.

All in all, I'm pretty bullish about this new game. The setlist so far is mostly trash (though I do like The War On Drugs a whole lot), and I don't know how I feel about the GHTV stuff, but having a platform-independent streaming service is a super smart move. This has me way more excited about plastic guitar than I expected, and considering that I'd be rebuilding my DLC library either way (went from 360 to PS4), if this comes out as a $100ish bundle, there's a good chance I'll pick it up.

I gave an awkward interview on camera and signed a release, so I guess my dumb face will show up in an Activision YouTube video/blog post/DLC pack soon.

Oh, and according to the crash screen I saw, at least some of the units they had were running on a PS4, if anyone was wondering.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
In what world is taking your hand off the strum bar to reach (fumble) for another button behind it is easier than just nudging the neck of the guitar up?

Both games used to have that mapped to a button as an alternate method anyway. Select, right?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Gaspar Lewis posted:

In what world is taking your hand off the strum bar to reach (fumble) for another button behind it is easier than just nudging the neck of the guitar up?

Both games used to have that mapped to a button as an alternate method anyway. Select, right?

That's actually my point; it was really hard to reach the select button while playing, while this button is like an inch away from the strum bar. You can easily hit it with your palm while downstrumming and not miss a beat.

e: Whoa, hey, more songs confirmed https://twitter.com/GuitarHero/status/588122113703157761

gently caress basically all of those songs but at least Under the Pressure should be fun as hell, that's a great track

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 15, 2015

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Well I had a hard time with it on Advanced and Veteran because of my grip, not getting good openings to make a reach... and the instinct to just tilt. Without explicit scoring or health it's hard to tell when you should set it off in the first place.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

abraham linksys posted:

That's actually my point; it was really hard to reach the select button while playing, while this button is like an inch away from the strum bar. You can easily hit it with your palm while downstrumming and not miss a beat.

e: Whoa, hey, more songs confirmed https://twitter.com/GuitarHero/status/588122113703157761

gently caress basically all of those songs but at least Under the Pressure should be fun as hell, that's a great track

GH WT / GH5 and GH WoR guitars ALL had that same star power button placed next to the strum bar. Nothing new.

I'm excited to try it. Definitely want that guitar controller, if nothing else to compliment my collection.

I'll reserve my comments on the game until I see more, but it is telling that they had so much to show when HMX is still sending out surveys and hasn't shown ANY game footage. Makes me wonder which product is the one being rushed this time?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
hey Gary Clark Jr is pretty awesome

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What rockband guitar were you guys playing on that you couldn't hit the back/select power to hit overdrive while strumming? That's how I roll, man. I had the opposite problem where I had to make the guitar go practically vertical to register the overdrive, which lead to more missed notes. Plus hitting a button just seems more reliable than hoping some sensor gets tripped.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
I think all Rock Band guitars had the overdrive button as a knob on the guitar or a in-set button to press. Neither was as intuitive as GH guitars with their big palm-activated overdrive buttons. But I still rely on tilting with either type of guitar to this day.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Best OD activator is Rock Band's foot pedal, not even a close contest. Granted, it was optional, but it was just the best.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

I'm no legal expert, but the basic premise of GHTV sounds like it would be way easier to license in today's climate than individual song downloads. Pandora-esque legal music streaming is everywhere now. Makes me wonder how the on-demand songs will work, since specific content selection tends to be gated off in a premium tier of these services. Then again stuff like Vevo lets you search and play music videos with no real limits, so who knows.

The licensing stuff is interesting -- it's still being synced to a game vs just being broadcast like Vevo. And Vevo has a pretty serious ad sales team to pay the increased rate vs stuff on YouTube.

I do agree that on first pass it would be easier to license as well. The real test is some of the deeper catalog / older artists and their publishers approving this type of stuff over time.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
Meh. I have one, still in the box. The concept seems annoying and cumbersome to have to keep track of a pedal. That assumes I don't move around when playing the guitar ;-)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Meh.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

whypick1 posted:

If history is any indication, like 3/4 of those songs are gonna show up on the RB4 disc as well. Remaining songs will be "Uptown Funk" for the big recent party hit get, something by Foo Fighters, 4 or 5 songs in the vein of "Take Me To Church" that will just remind you that they got rid of keys, and a bunch of HMX bands.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Under the Pressure is loving dope but the rest of that tracklist isn't exactly reassuring. Although I think this time around we might finally see significant differences between RB and GH, as GH is actually focused specifically on one instrument again. Sure, there will still be 15-20 "party" songs, but Hamdix will be trying to make everyone happy and GHL will be trying for guitar songs. The chord thing makes me think they'll have more than a few acoustic songs, by the way. If the story mode is anything like a generic story mode with a huge band would be, there will be a point where you break up and go solo.

Also this raises my hopes that RB4 will have Red Eyes and yes I know I've mentioned that song in the thread already but it's the best.

(I'm already sad about no keys because I just realized how much fun Seasons (Waiting On You) would be. I'd probably pay C3 up to $100 for that song.)

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Imagine Dragons, expect it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Activision is loving gross and tasteless and make games for idiots with no soul and never got what made Guitar hero 1 & 2 good

What I'm saying is Harmonix does what Activisiodon't

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

Activision is loving gross and tasteless and make games for idiots with no soul and never got what made Guitar hero 1 & 2 good

What I'm saying is Harmonix does what Activisiodon't

not all idiots with no soul

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.
The idea of two rows of three buttons seems pretty interesting to me. Just think, in a few years we might get a game with, like, six rows of seventeen buttons. Wouldn't that be great?!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc
So how long until GHTV is just a bunch of reality shows and they have to create GHTV2?

The Yellow Ant posted:

The idea of two rows of three buttons seems pretty interesting to me. Just think, in a few years we might get a game with, like, six rows of seventeen buttons. Wouldn't that be great?!

As long as they don't get crazy and put strings on it or something.

edit

Timby posted:

No tracks, just artists thus far:

I'm so old :negative:

TrojanNemo posted:

Meh. I have one, still in the box. The concept seems annoying and cumbersome to have to keep track of a pedal. That assumes I don't move around when playing the guitar ;-)

Wanna sell it? Someone stole mine...

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 15, 2015

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm kinda worried that the GHTV thing is going to be like the free Karaoke game on Xbox: every day 4-6 songs will be free to play unlimited, and you can buy a day pass to unlock all the songs for 24 hours.

Confirmed: your character is called Priscilla. :haw:

The way they cloned the audience from 200 into 4000 people is pretty impressive actually. And it would be really funny to somehow hack the game so the audience would always be in EXTREMELY ANGRY mode during a song!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

So that's what Mumford & Sons would sound like if they forgot their banjo.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I know the answer is smoke another one buddy but the new guitar hero is just so odd, its like an idea that came from a half-drunk fever dream. On one hand as someone that's into music and been to a billion shows, it's cool to see things from that perspective, it's something I've had little experience with but thought about a ton. Aside from that there's this whole super weird meta thing of it's a pretend band, pretending to play songs for pretend crowds who are pretending to enjoy a concert and this is all accessed through use of a pretend guitar, fuckin far out man.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
The 3 button controller is dumb as hell. At least as someone who does play guitar not using my pinky is just strange. I would try it out but my first impressions are it's way too casual and targetting the babby market.

I think it's hilarious it's coming out on 360 and PS3 and I wonder if that will force Hmxs hand. That would kill another reason to buy any of the new consoles.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The 3 button controller is dumb as hell. At least as someone who does play guitar not using my pinky is just strange. I would try it out but my first impressions are it's way too casual and targetting the babby market.

I think it's hilarious it's coming out on 360 and PS3 and I wonder if that will force Hmxs hand. That would kill another reason to buy any of the new consoles.

Actually theres 6! Remember guitar hero was always the one to go after the score hero extreme kids, the addition of a 6th button means its not a babby game but actually a new level of master class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Actually theres 6! Remember guitar hero was always the one to go after the score hero extreme kids, the addition of a 6th button means its not a babby game but actually a new level of master class.

I have a friend that is like this and argued the game will actually be much harder and doesn't care for the setlist because he only plays for the charts. That was before he saw the setlist. Can't wait to 5 star Ed Sheeran!