Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

So, like...yeah, Steve probably didn't call Tony because they weren't friends. Not great friends who trust each other with this stuff, anyway.

There was also the case of Tony blowing up all his armor and getting the surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

There was also the case of Tony blowing up all his armor and getting the surgery.

What surgery?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

What surgery?

To remove the shrapnel from his chest cavity, it was explained in a narration and quick surgery shot towards the end of Iron Man 3

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Please. Like he didn't get inspiration a week later and was in the basement with his holo-blueprinter making the Mk 616 or whatever. Probably with Pepper in nothing but a sports bra and booty shorts trying to distract him with her abs and failing.

"Be right with ya, babe, just gotta get the control surfaces and the weapon layout jusssssst right..."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Drifter posted:

What surgery?

He got his heart fixed up and the implanted arc reactor removed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Deadpool posted:

Well since he's the only one missing that actually was part of SHIELD yes it was something that people were wondering.

Whatever the answer is won't stand up to the never-actually-happened one-shot "Hawkeye's Day Off" where he spends all day watching old movies before realizing his phone was dead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gaz-L posted:

Please. Like he didn't get inspiration a week later and was in the basement with his holo-blueprinter making the Mk 616 or whatever. Probably with Pepper in nothing but a sports bra and booty shorts trying to distract him with her abs and failing.

"Be right with ya, babe, just gotta get the control surfaces and the weapon layout jusssssst right..."

Don't be silly. You know he's using Pepper's abs as his holo-drafting table.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has anyone seen a bad review of this show?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Has anyone seen a bad review of this show?

I would be surprised if there weren't some. I mean it's a heavy, violent show and I'm sure not everyone's down with that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I posted one a few pages back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/04/13/daredevils-vigilante-injustices-come-at-the-wrong-time/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Valeyard posted:

You're right, I just can't stand Jeremy Renner

Steve Yun posted:

The real answer is who cares.

Drifter posted:

I think people may have been wondering that only in the same way you wonder if the fish you had last night is responsible for the diarrhea that's dribbling out right now.

I like Jeremy Renner, he's cute and he's a good Hawkeye. :smith:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finishing up with my current batch of gifs. There's a bunch of ones I want to re-make since they just look silly all sped up.

1x11

1x13

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah bit this is a bullshit thinkpiece by someone who barely glanced at the show.

I guess I'm saying: I'm glad it's getting universal acclaim, because it kinda had to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thank you. Out of all 13 episodes this was the thing I wanted most as a GIF.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Finished watching over the weekend, went through a few different articles explaining all the easter eggs, but I still have a few unanswered questions:

- Why was Mrs. Urich hospitalized? I'm sure they must have said, but I never caught it.

- What is the booze they keep drinking? It's all they drink.

- What is Matt's cane budget? There are discarded canes with his DNA all over the city.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Finished watching over the weekend, went through a few different articles explaining all the easter eggs, but I still have a few unanswered questions:

- Why was Mrs. Urich hospitalized? I'm sure they must have said, but I never caught it.

No idea but she was sick enough that hospice care was a serious option.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just because they don't take the time to show you Matt going back to get his canes doesn't mean that he just leaves them behind and has a closet full at home. Most of the times he disposes of them it's near places where he probably goes all the time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Either that or he just pretends to fumble around for a couple days until he can buy a new one.

e: Also, fairly sure Mrs. Urich has Alzheimer's.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: Also, fairly sure Mrs. Urich has Alzheimer's.

They really do not say but its end of life stuff

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I like Jeremy Renner, he's cute and he's a good Hawkeye. :smith:

Oh I didn't mean who cares about Jeremy Renner. I meant who cares where other Avengers characters are in a movie focusing on Iron Man or Captain America.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I think there was a scene where she forgot who Ben was

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

Alzheimer's is very much an end-of-life thing, they mention her having "good, lucid days," and in the hospital scene with Ben she forgets he came in. It's never outright said but they come about as close as possible.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Deadpool posted:

Just because they don't take the time to show you Matt going back to get his canes doesn't mean that he just leaves them behind and has a closet full at home. Most of the times he disposes of them it's near places where he probably goes all the time.

True, but in his position I'd rather have a cane closet than go rooting through garbage every week or so.

I would have liked his blindness to have seemed like more of a disability. The Daredevil movie did a lot wrong, but I liked that it showed how Matt kept track of what bills were what value, organized things with braille labels, and generally had his home life set up like a blind person has to. For me it was a humanizing moment that shows that despite having crazy reflexes and senses that make up for his lack of sight, he still has limitations. When 90% of your movie or T.V. show is your hero hearing things from halfway across the city or smelling nails in a box, it's nice to see the downside of things, rather than be told about it.

That's a minor complaint though, everything else was good, and I liked that they didn't leave anything on the table. They told a thorough story with a clear beginning and ending, weren't afraid to kill off characters, and gave Daredevil a clear origin that sets him up for whatever else he may do in the MCU, whether it's a second season, showing up as a member of the Defenders, etc.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Inkspot posted:

- What is Matt's cane budget? There are discarded canes with his DNA all over the city.

This one made me laugh. If you found some blind guys cane thrown in a heap of trash in an alley or whatever my first reaction would be to check it for DNA also. Prime suspect in any superhero/vigilante case.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Inkspot posted:

"Hey look, there's a cane behind that trash bin. We should swab it for DNA, in case Daredevil is pretending to be a blind guy and dropped it on his way to fight crime. Stop looking at me like that!"

E: f,b

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4

The blind people narration is seriously really cool, guys

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

This one made me laugh. If you found some blind guys cane thrown in a heap of trash in an alley or whatever my first reaction would be to check it for DNA also. Prime suspect in any superhero/vigilante case.

Well aren't blind guys kinda prime suspects when the superhero wears an opaque mask that covers his eyes?

Not that we even really saw anyone trying remotely hard to find out who he was.

Also every show should have blind person narration, not just for the visually impaired but to settle internet arguments about what happens in shows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
(could you tell the difference between someone wearing a pair of sunglasses versus a supernatural blind dude wearing sunglasses? Motorcycle visor? Mirrored shades? Goggles? How on earth would anyone assume a dude who is beating the gently caress out of people and sprinting over the skyline and dodging bullets be blind?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Haha that's pretty great.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

NowonSA posted:

True, but in his position I'd rather have a cane closet than go rooting through garbage every week or so.

I would have liked his blindness to have seemed like more of a disability. The Daredevil movie did a lot wrong, but I liked that it showed how Matt kept track of what bills were what value, organized things with braille labels, and generally had his home life set up like a blind person has to. For me it was a humanizing moment that shows that despite having crazy reflexes and senses that make up for his lack of sight, he still has limitations. When 90% of your movie or T.V. show is your hero hearing things from halfway across the city or smelling nails in a box, it's nice to see the downside of things, rather than be told about it.

That's a minor complaint though, everything else was good, and I liked that they didn't leave anything on the table. They told a thorough story with a clear beginning and ending, weren't afraid to kill off characters, and gave Daredevil a clear origin that sets him up for whatever else he may do in the MCU, whether it's a second season, showing up as a member of the Defenders, etc.

I was really surprised they didn't explore the downsides of his sense more beyond the flashbacks. Even the movie showed him getting overwhelmed (granted, because it was very overstuffed).

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Awesome, they straight up turned the show into a pulp novel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Awesome, they straight up turned the show into a pulp novel.

Well, something sure is is getting pulped in that clip alright.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if the script is just unusually poetic or if they pretty much shat out an audiobook in like 2 days.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Drifter posted:

(could you tell the difference between someone wearing a pair of sunglasses versus a supernatural blind dude wearing sunglasses? Motorcycle visor? Mirrored shades? Goggles? How on earth would anyone assume a dude who is beating the gently caress out of people and sprinting over the skyline and dodging bullets be blind?

No but he's not wearing any of those things, he's wearing a mask that you can't see through that covers his eyes and also the eye covering part is not see through. I'm not talking about his final costume, I mean what he wore over his face for the majority of the season. He can't see. Would it also make some sense to assume a guy who gets into fights and decides to blind himself for it is probably used to not being able to see, i.e. a blind guy? I'm not trying to argue that Matt's in any actual danger of being discovered due to someone finding one of his canes. Just that Daredevil being one of the blind residents of Hell's Kitchen is something someone could potentially infer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fortunately, that doesn't actually narrow it down all that much.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Fortunately, that doesn't actually narrow it down all that much.

There's that one particular blind lawyer who keeps getting involved in Daredevil related activities, though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Metropolis posted:

No but he's not wearing any of those things, he's wearing a mask that you can't see through that covers his eyes and also the eye covering part is not see through. I'm not talking about his final costume, I mean what he wore over his face for the majority of the season. He can't see. Would it also make some sense to assume a guy who gets into fights and decides to blind himself for it is probably used to not being able to see, i.e. a blind guy? I'm not trying to argue that Matt's in any actual danger of being discovered due to someone finding one of his canes. Just that Daredevil being one of the blind residents of Hell's Kitchen is something someone could potentially infer.

People would probably sooner assume the mask was somewhat seethrough than that the guy wearing it was blind.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone pull a 4k screenshot of Fisk staring at his painting from ep 8 for making terrible photoshop jokes with yet? You know it needs a loss edit.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Light Gun Man posted:

Anyone pull a 4k screenshot of Fisk staring at his painting from ep 8 for making terrible photoshop jokes with yet? You know it needs a loss edit.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable dickbutt.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I checked it out earlier and it was good, but this is really great. It's like an audiobook. If these guys put 13 60-minute episodes of this together in, like, the 5 or 6 days since there was outcry, they're freakin' amazing. I would subscribe to a service like this just to use as a substitute for podcasts.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

NowonSA posted:

I was a fan of whenever the comic touched on this - which was rarely, and only if the writer was interested in blind culture - and it was one of the few things that stood out about the movie. Like how does Matt pick his suits? (they're labeled by color) How does Matt use money? (They're folded differently) They had a blind guy on set as an advisor, talking about how stuff in the movie was written after stories he told to the crew. He talks in the making of doc, which is funny unto itself because you see what a disaster it becomes as it goes along in development because the director was so incredibly bad at his job and they hoped they could fix it all in post, and they couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dj_clawson posted:

I was a fan of whenever the comic touched on this - which was rarely, and only if the writer was interested in blind culture - and it was one of the few things that stood out about the movie. Like how does Matt pick his suits? (they're labeled by color) How does Matt use money? (They're folded differently) They had a blind guy on set as an advisor, talking about how stuff in the movie was written after stories he told to the crew. He talks in the making of doc, which is funny unto itself because you see what a disaster it becomes as it goes along in development because the director was so incredibly bad at his job and they hoped they could fix it all in post, and they couldn't.

All of that stuff Matt Murdock would be doing only to keep up appearances. In public. Nothing he did at home would need to be that way.