Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I wanna know what the Rolling Stones song is so I can be super mad it's not in an actual good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of these new GH controllers. I always thought HMX missed a trick by jumping straight from 5 buttons to a full fretboard without exploring the enormous gulf between them, where you have multiple "strings" but not so many buttons that it stops being a chill game you can pick up casually.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Chairchucker posted:

I wanna know what the Rolling Stones song is so I can be super mad it's not in an actual good game.

Do they have a new album for their summer tour? Maybe it's from that :v:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Have the stones made any new albums or singles in the last year that are "ft." some budding new hip hop artist? If so it will be that song.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Activision is loving gross and tasteless and make games for idiots with no soul and never got what made Guitar hero 1 & 2 good

What I'm saying is Harmonix does what Activisiodon't
Harmonix is what Activisn't

If it were 2009 again this would be a forum gang already.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm assuming the story mode is already set in stone for GHL and won't feature any songs that came out after the filming session, whenever that was. (3-6 months ago?)

So don't count on any songs from this year being in the story, but I'm assuming the GHTV service will be heavily used to push songs that have come out in the last couple of months going forward.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kaboobi posted:

I'm assuming the story mode is already set in stone for GHL and won't feature any songs that came out after the filming session, whenever that was. (3-6 months ago?)

So don't count on any songs from this year being in the story, but I'm assuming the GHTV service will be heavily used to push songs that have come out in the last couple of months going forward.

I'm assuming I won't play this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not seeing a token "song for people with good taste". You know, like "Teenage Riot" in whatever Guitar Hero it was in.

They're definitely not targeting returning customers if they think people want to play "When You Were Young" yet again, either.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

They're definitely not targeting returning customers if they think people want to play "When You Were Young" yet again, either.
Hey, the target group probably had their first kiss with that playing in the background. Going for the small-scale nostalgy dollar.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Guitar Hero 3 came out 8 years ago. Their current target group was 7 years old at the time.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

precision posted:

I'm not seeing a token "song for people with good taste". You know, like "Teenage Riot" in whatever Guitar Hero it was in.

Check out Gary Clark Jr, or The War On Drugs who are sort of like The Arcade Fire without the French-Canadian charm

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Won't the savings of not having to develop graphics be totally negated by the cost of hiring and filming a live band and entire crowd of extras for each song?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Orange Harrison posted:

Won't the savings of not having to develop graphics be totally negated by the cost of hiring and filming a live band and entire crowd of extras for each song?

For the disc songs, sure, but GHTV is just music videos.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Orange Harrison posted:

https://twitter.com/HMXhenry/status/587973664710254592

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I think the important thing to focus on here is that GHL might be the first guitar/band game EVER to actually have guitar straps in it.

That's big.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I think the 2x3 button controller seems kinda like a neat idea, could do some more interesting things with chords at least.

The game gives me a few Rocksmith 1 vibes. That game had a weird first-person view with FMV people pasted into 3d crowds that would react to how well you were playing, and the 3d stages meant the lighting effects could sync with the song, but the audience was a kinda uncanny sea of clones. The UI also has a Rocksmith-like Song Goals section which would always be a new goal for you in that song, like reaching a certain % of notes hit, or getting a streak of x notes. No idea if that will function the same way here.

One thing that worries me the most out of those screenshots is this thing:

Mobile micro-transaction fests make me assume the worst of this UI feature and expect things like "Trial this song for 1 Hero Gem or add it to your song locker for 200 Guitar Gold." It could be something completely else though.

Ultimately though I played like 80% of my Rock Band time on pro drums so that is where most of my interest lies between the two games.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

xamphear posted:

I think the important thing to focus on here is that GHL might be the first guitar/band game EVER to actually have guitar straps in it.

That's big.

I hope in at least one song the straps are made out of greenscreen material just to keep this joke going.

Edit: vvv So they re-used the crowd cloning trick from the old games but couldn't be bothered to design hover-guitars? In 2015 no less? Lazy ol' activision.....

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 15, 2015

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Orange Harrison posted:

In addition to what was already mentioned, they only hired a smaller group of extras. What they did was film those people over and over in different outfits so that they could composite those groups into what looks like a big crowd.

My guess is that each outfitted group probably corresponds to one of the career mode songs, so that it'll always be that group down front that seems to have any relevance to the song, and everyone else is too far away for you to notice they don't really change up at all from song to song.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Ugh, as if I wasn't already somewhat uninterested in this, gently caress that setlist. Skrillex? Go gently caress yourself.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Have they explicitly stated whether or not the guitar controllers are hardware-specific? I'm wondering how that's gonna work with the mobile version in particular. Like is there a guitar controller that only works on iPhones? If someone buys the game on Xbox One would they need a whole other controller for their Samsung tablet? I assume they want and expect a lot of crossover between console and mobile players.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Minidust posted:

Have they explicitly stated whether or not the guitar controllers are hardware-specific? I'm wondering how that's gonna work with the mobile version in particular. Like is there a guitar controller that only works on iPhones? If someone buys the game on Xbox One would they need a whole other controller for their Samsung tablet? I assume they want and expect a lot of crossover between console and mobile players.

I'm guessing the Guitars are going to use bluetooth so you'll just sync it up with your iPad/iPhone (Android?)

@Fina I think the monetization is going to be for Premium channels on GHTV. Hopefully it's a one time unlock and the IAP is just a quick fix type deal

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Ultimately, the song selection is the deal breaker for me and I don't even know the majority of these bands or songs, I don't fantasize about playing guitar to any of these. Do guitar solos even exist anymore? Outside of lovely metal?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Dr Zaius posted:

Ultimately, the song selection is the deal breaker for me and I don't even know the majority of these bands or songs, I don't fantasize about playing guitar to any of these. Do guitar solos even exist anymore? Outside of lovely metal?

I don't know if you intended to open the wishlist floodgates with this post, but if you're gonna go full-on crotchety old man I have some suggestions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ObpxB1_TV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jiX-Svw7KQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeKu2U61QMM

But, yeah, I agree with your underlying concern that the Kids These Days aren't listening to as much guitar-driven music. It kinda feels like the alt-rock bloom has mostly died off, outside of a few lingering bands who have incorporated even more electronic elements (Imagine Dragons being a really obvious example). Activision wants to make a game about pop music with a guitar peripheral, and I don't think that's going to work out for them.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Which makes focusing on just guitar again even weirder to me. Even if I didn't find many modern songs with fun guitar parts, a lot of times the drums were interesting at least. And yes, I have long been a grumpy old man with my musical tastes, but usually the setlists have more than a handful of classics that get me really excited and the artists announced so far are so overwhelmingly from the last half decade or so it's disappointing. I guess it makes sense with the FMV part because it seems very much attached to today's aesthetics, so maybe GHTV will be more promising.

It's really all rather moot though because I really don't see me buying a guitar just for this game and I'm already all the way on the Rock Band train.

Dr Zaius fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 15, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dr Zaius posted:

Even if I didn't find many modern songs with fun guitar parts, a lot of times the drums were interesting at least.

I generally find that a modern, repetitive guitar riff is just boring to play, but a basic drum beat is still enjoyable. It's probably the rush you get from hitting things.

werewerewolf
Mar 22, 2001

pksage posted:

For the disc songs, sure, but GHTV is just music videos.

And, I'm going to assume, commercials. They haven't said "commercial-free", so I'm going to assume you get a song or two, then watch a commercial for MTV's Teen Mom XIV or something.

Maybe that's where a subscription comes in and removes ads, just like Pandora/Spotify/etc.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

malformedtag posted:

And, I'm going to assume, commercials. They haven't said "commercial-free", so I'm going to assume you get a song or two, then watch a commercial for MTV's Teen Mom XIV or something.

Maybe that's where a subscription comes in and removes ads, just like Pandora/Spotify/etc.

I agree; my comment was in response to OH's comment about hiring actors for the FMVs.

quote:

songlistchat

Rock Band has long had a firm grip on what makes a good songlist. Even Blitz, which is definitely the most "modern-centric" title to date, was 12 pre-2000s songs out of 25. Admittedly two of those were Give It Away and Spoonman, but whatever.

There's still lots of low-hanging fruit in the '70s and '80s to make a good classic rock representation. If C3 can get stems for some of these, I doubt Harmonix will have any issues.

edit: Also some of the 2010s songs in Blitz owned (Moves Like Jagger, Pumped Up Kicks, Raise Your Glass, Stronger)

pksage fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 15, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Orange Harrison posted:

I guarantee there'll be like 15 pre-recorded skits that are vaguely suited to the genre you're playing, but wont actually match up at all. It'll just play a booing crowd when you gently caress up and a cheering one when you don't. And the crowd has about 10 people in it copy and pasted 100 times.

werewerewolf
Mar 22, 2001

pksage posted:

I agree; my comment was in response to OH's comment about hiring actors for the FMVs.

Oh, I gotcha - I just had the stunning realization as to what "streaming" could imply.

Either way, GHL is a no-go in my house - I never play RB alone, my wife either sings or drums while I guitar/bass or sing, so a guitar-only game is just a non-starter. It's a shame they couldn't at least work in vocals on GHTV ... maybe that'll be DLC.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What will be really funny is how dated the game will look in a few years.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

precision posted:

What will be really funny is how dated the game will look in a few years.

It will definitely be fodder for comedy Let's Plays years in years to come, assuming our grimdark DRM future allows it to play at all.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

It will definitely be fodder for comedy Let's Plays years in years to come, assuming our grimdark DRM future allows it to play at all.

Or doesn't require a multi gigabyte day zero patch and numerous subsequent patches to make the game even remotely function that gets lost to the ether when support for the game and console ends.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rastor posted:

Yeah, that's kinda the main reason I don't want to bother with it...

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://www.reddit.com/r/GuitarHero/comments/32mzxi/i_got_a_chance_to_briefly_try_the_new_guitar_hero/cqdxvuu

phew, that's a relief

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

quote:

The buttons felt a bit too close together (notice there's no space between the three buttons) and I would mash the wrong one occasionally.

This bothers me. It was the main reason I didn't use the slide buttons on the newer GH guitars, and now the main buttons are going to be like this? I need haptic feedback. :ohdear:

Reddit thread also mentions that there might not be any HOPOs at all in the game, and the huge intro for GH:Live songs cannot be skipped.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 16, 2015

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Merijn posted:

This bothers me. It was the main reason I didn't use the slide buttons on the newer GH guitars, and now the main buttons are going to be like this? I need haptic feedback. :ohdear:

Reddit thread also mentions that there might not be any HOPOs at all in the game, and the huge intro for GH:Live songs cannot be skipped.

Sounds kind of like the RB guitars with the buttons being flush with the guitar, hopefully I can get used to it.

There are definitely HO/PO's they are shown in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Qj7uNy3ak

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/guitar-hero-is-back-but-is-it-any-good-the-lobby/2300-6424442/

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 16, 2015

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
If anyone is near these Best Buy stores in LA and NY there will be hands on demos of the new guitar hero on Saturday.

Guitar Hero Live In-Store Demos

Saturday, April 18
1 p.m.–5 p.m.

New York City Store (Store #1531)
52 E 14th St #64
New York, NY 10003

Torrance Store (Store #107)
3675 Pacific Coast Hwy
Torrance, CA 90505

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
@gameinformer
Rock Band 4 Will Support Older Controllers And Equipment

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I guess this is official confirmation that RB4 will support older instruments. And Guitar Hero instruments too?

http://t.co/rDdTMSxixQ

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I don't know, everything is still couched in "we're planning" and "we're doing everything we can".

I'll take it as confirmed when they drop the qualifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

thefncrow posted:

I don't know, everything is still couched in "we're planning" and "we're doing everything we can".

I'll take it as confirmed when they drop the qualifiers.

Yeah, looks like they're just tugging back now that the PR war has begun, by re-repeating what we already knew and making it sound like news.