Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Drifter posted:

All of that stuff Matt Murdock would be doing only to keep up appearances. In public. Nothing he did at home would need to be that way.

So earlier in the comics, when computer screens first became an issue, Matt would just put his hand against the monitor because the writers didn't know better. He did this at S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters once, in the early 90's. The run a few years ago mentioned that some things have actually gotten harder for him. Laser printing of newspapers and money means he can't get as much of an impression, and he can't actually use monitors for poo poo, so he has to scan the bills people hand him with his specialized iPhone to find out what bills they are. Also there were a couple of allusions to him not actually being able to see colors, though that would vary from writer to writer. So he is, you know, limited in some respects. Which makes him more interesting.

They made Hawkeye deaf, but that was a retcon. Some fan asked for a deaf character, and they were like, "Dur, ok, we've never mentioned it before but he's deaf. There you go."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Drifter posted:

All of that stuff Matt Murdock would be doing only to keep up appearances. In public. Nothing he did at home would need to be that way.
...Yes it would? Suit colors labels and special money arrangements are the exact sorts of things he needs. I mean, at home he can use super finger senses to tell money apart, but he can't do that when he's giving people money out in public.

dj_clawson posted:

Also there were a couple of allusions to him not actually being able to see colors, though that would vary from writer to writer..
I've never heard of this. What explanation could they give for him ever being able to see colors?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 15, 2015

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

...Yes it would? Suit colors labels and special money arrangements are the exact sorts of things he needs. I mean, at home he can use super finger senses to tell money apart, but he can't do that when he's giving people money out in public.

I've never heard of this. What explanation could they give for him ever being able to see colors?

I think someone explained it earlier in this thread.

One of my all-time favorite jokes in the comics: after Foggy learns Matt is Daredevil, he mentions the red suit. To which Matt replies, "Red? I always thought it was yellow." But he's just messing with him.

(Also his suit was originally yellow)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

There's a scene where Karen, Foggy and Matt are going through the papers Foggy's ex sneaked out. Matt was using some dynamic braille computer keyboard thingamabob. I presume that's entirely fictional right?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

There's a scene where Karen, Foggy and Matt are going through the papers Foggy's ex sneaked out. Matt was using some dynamic braille computer keyboard thingamabob. I presume that's entirely fictional right?

No it's real. Printed braille is disappearing because of computers, actually.
http://www.baum.de/cms/en/pronto40/

There's an SA gold thread where a blind goon answers questions about this sort of thing. He blew our minds when he told us his computer had no monitor.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I was really surprised they didn't explore the downsides of his sense more beyond the flashbacks. Even the movie showed him getting overwhelmed (granted, because it was very overstuffed).

They show him as sensitive to sudden sound in the flashback. My interpretation of Murdock has always been that he has trained himself through things like meditation and general mental focus to turn down his senses when he wants to, and probably to turn them "up" as well, like focusing on his sense of touch and not paying as much attention to what he hears. So if he wants to sleep he relaxes his hearing and other senses, if he's out fighting a dozen bad guys he brings it back up.

Drifter posted:

There's probably a dozen different descriptions and explanations of the way that Murdock's senses pile together to replace his sense of sight, but no matter how you slice it he isn't seeing things the way we are. Color would be a particular obstacle, as that is purely visual. Motionless items are also more difficult to identify, though clearly not impossible as we saw in the scene in the abandoned warehouse with the Russian. I can maybe buy him identifying bill denominations by touch or his clothes by feeling or hearing subtle differences in them, but if he walks into a clothing store and sees 10 shirts that are different colors on a wall, I can't imagine how he would know what color they are.

Anyway, he can obviously avoid many issues that blind people have. He isn't going to be bumping into any furniture on accident, but I also don't see why he wouldn't use the life conventions of the blind for his own convenience. He clearly either went to a blind school or would have received some instruction on how to live as a blind person following his accident or after his father's death. It does help his cover as a normal blind person to do this as well, of course, so that's another good reason to keep up the habit.

But yeah, I'm overthinking this as usual. I will agree that any argument I make about why Murdock needs to fold his bills to tell them apart is harmed significantly by him being able to dodge bullets as they're fired, hear when people are lying or the million other crazy things Daredevil has done.

Edit: I guess other people have weighed on this as well, cool! Also this:

dj_clawson posted:

There's an SA gold thread where a blind goon answers questions about this sort of thing. He blew our minds when he told us his computer had no monitor.

Yeah, when you think of it of course he doesn't need one, why would he, but it's still mindblowing to think of the memorization needed to do even basic computer functions while blind, even with the help of software.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 15, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

dj_clawson posted:

They made Hawkeye deaf, but that was a retcon. Some fan asked for a deaf character, and they were like, "Dur, ok, we've never mentioned it before but he's deaf. There you go."

Nah, he got hurt. It was a whole thing. Then they made him hearing impaired again just recently.

e: Actually it was more bullshit when they made him able to hear again.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 15, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

Oh that's pretty cool!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously he can detect the photonic micro heat levels of colors or some bullshit that sounds good as long as you don't try to think about it / research it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Light Gun Man posted:

Obviously he can detect the photonic micro heat levels of colors or some bullshit that sounds good as long as you don't try to think about it / research it.

He can sense the color force.

grumblegrumbletheflashspeedforcebullshitgrumble

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The best would be if a completely idiot writer came in and said "well, he can see light!"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Inkspot posted:

- What is Matt's cane budget? There are discarded canes with his DNA all over the city.

I assume he comes back for them, though I did wonder the same.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Can someone take the clip of the hallway fight and put that terrible evanessence song from the movie on top of it?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I prefer it if he can't actually read almost any non handwritten paper (the indendation left behind by a pen or pencil isn't terribly farfetched him for him to feel) or computer screens. If you're going to make him blind, even with super senses, it seems important to make at least SOME things difficult and keep a bit of the whole blind thing authentic.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

He can smell the dyes used on the fabrics even under the smell of detergents and so on. Hes just that good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

Can someone take the clip of the hallway fight and put that terrible evanessence song from the movie on top of it?

No. Do not do this. Or at least don't post it on this forum.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Blackchamber posted:

He can smell the dyes used on the fabrics even under the smell of detergents and so on. Hes just that good.

Yeah that's even better, because then he can also have encyclopedic knowledge of all clothing dyes and tell you that your shirt is specifically "eggshell offwhite #453453" and what country it was made in or whatever.

That would only explain dyes things though.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Wolpertinger posted:

I prefer it if he can't actually read almost any non handwritten paper (the indendation left behind by a pen or pencil isn't terribly farfetched him for him to feel) or computer screens. If you're going to make him blind, even with super senses, it seems important to make at least SOME things difficult and keep a bit of the whole blind thing authentic.

But that is already (mostly) true of the series. Monitors and phones/tablets and so on are useless to him. That's why his ringtone is just the caller's name repeated over and over.

He also has that spoken-word clock that says the time; there are definitely things he can't use because he's blind.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4

The blind people narration is seriously really cool, guys

This is insanely great. I definitely questioned how they'd do anything comparable to how awesome the visuals are, but this is some Raymond Chandler poo poo. I'd listen to this as a non-blind person.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

tsob posted:

It's never Spider-man's fault, no more than it's a cops fault that a serial killer escapes jail to kill again. Spider-man is essentially just a civil servant going out and catching the guy who did it. If it's anyone's fault it's the fault of the people for not asking for better measures or appealing for the death penalty to deal with those people on a permanent basis, same as with any killer. Spider-man might be a vigilante, but that doesn't mean he is or should be an executioner. It's not up to him to decide what to do with Green Goblin or whoever when he stops him, it's up to the system. And the system fails every time.

A few pages back, but that whole argument was one of the many things that pissed me off about The Civil War. Spiderman has about as much legal and moral authority for use of force as any other random citizen capturing a criminal in the commission of a crime. Spiderman catches crooks, then hands them over to the cops to process, and then justice is done. If the people of New York think that the Green Goblin should be executed, then New York needs to revise it's death penalty laws.

And not lay the blame on Spiderman, because Spiderman refuses to be judge, jury,and executioner. Because there is no way that expecting superheros to take those three roles is going to end well.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 15, 2015

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I did wonder in 1x9/1x10 when DD has his confrontation with Fisk and Nobu why no-one just took a swab of his blood. I mean it was everywhere. A quick run through a DNA database and bang, Murdock is outed big styley.

Obviously one of those things you have to forgive but I'd have been all over that poo poo.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sorvah posted:

I did wonder in 1x9/1x10 when DD has his confrontation with Fisk and Nobu why no-one just took a swab of his blood. I mean it was everywhere. A quick run through a DNA database and bang, Murdock is outed big styley.

Obviously one of those things you have to forgive but I'd have been all over that poo poo.

Because he isn't a criminal so I doubt they have his DNA on file as Matt Murdock blind lawyer.

Unless you really think the government has EVERYONES dna on file in a giant database. Some comedian once was talking about the show CSI and he wondered who really has a database of everyones sperm and how they got it all for everytime they find a sample at a crime scene they can just match them up.

EDIT: When I moved to a new city nobody asked me to donate a blood/sperm sample for the local police department. where the hell do you live?!

edit 2: I think the comedian was Chapelle.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 15, 2015

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Sorvah posted:

DNA database

Matt's records might not be in there. His accident was real old so he might not have a medical entry, and I doubt he's had a criminal entry.

Plus the national security nightmares from Cap 2 events might throw all of that to wind either way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I almost want to take the effort to watch the entire show with that narration on. Though I think I'd tire of it after maybe a couple episodes.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
If he's passed the bar in America they definitely have his fingerprints on file...but it didn't even occur anyone. Like everyone must have assumed 'this highly trained violent vigilante can't have had any criminal past, no point in checking.'

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sorvah posted:

If he's passed the bar in America they definitely have his fingerprints on file...but it didn't even occur anyone. Like everyone must have assumed 'this highly trained violent vigilante can't have had any criminal past, no point in checking.'

Well he does wear gloves, complete with those little hardened knuckles that you can buy. I remember there is one scene where he takes em off to feel the map of hells kitchen, but then he puts them back on.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Yeah I meant that more as a Murdock is definitely in some system somewhere.

Look, just let me pretend I'm smarter than these fictional characters will you!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sorvah posted:

It really wouldn't add much to the narrative for them to test for something that's going to end up not giving out anything useful, so if it makes you happy just assume that they did offscreen and didn't get anything of value back.

Comedy option: "The Identity of the man in the mask is... NOBU! Wait poo poo we tested the wrong blood."

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sorvah posted:

Yeah I meant that more as a Murdock is definitely in some system somewhere.

Look, just let me pretend I'm smarter than these fictional characters will you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCWYm7B_B4

Forensics being used to find a suspect. Enhance!

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Sorvah posted:

Just because they have his fingerprints on file doesn't mean they have any usable prints.

I remember reading a thing a while back that fingerprinting experts these days spend most of their time in court explaining that good fingerprints are hard to come by. Take a front door knob for example, you have two people living in a place, leaving their greasy mitts all over the knob, then toss in friends coming to visit, a cable repair man, and they all use the front door.Then the door knob just becomes a big greasy mess of prints that's no good for prints.

They can go for fingerprints on obvious murder weapons like knives, but if someone uses a less obvious murder weapon, like a gun then fingerprints aren't that great.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 15, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I love the little disbelieving glance Wesley gives down and then back up after the first bullet hits.

dj_clawson posted:

I was a fan of whenever the comic touched on this - which was rarely, and only if the writer was interested in blind culture - and it was one of the few things that stood out about the movie. Like how does Matt pick his suits? (they're labeled by color) How does Matt use money? (They're folded differently) They had a blind guy on set as an advisor, talking about how stuff in the movie was written after stories he told to the crew. He talks in the making of doc, which is funny unto itself because you see what a disaster it becomes as it goes along in development because the director was so incredibly bad at his job and they hoped they could fix it all in post, and they couldn't.

I haven't seen the movie since it came out and don't believe I've ever seen the director's cut. Is it worth tracking down a cheap copy to listen to this for the tidbits on how they integrated blind stuff in to the character and stories about how hosed up the film was? I'll probably try and do so regardless, because I don't recall particularly hating the theatrical cut, just finding it mediocre and the director's cut is decent according to most.

dj_clawson posted:

Huh, just went looking one of them up on Youtube to try and get more of a sense of how they work and this honestly looks pretty useful. The demonstrator is wearing it on her hip while she walks around early in the video and it looks like it might be possible to use it while on the move, even if only a bit awkwardly if you were moving around a lot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

tsob posted:

I love the little disbelieving glance Wesley gives down and then back up after the first bullet hits.

There's something about the sped up framerate that makes it funnier, oddly enough.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Karen was pretty cool but then she caused Urich to die and now she's strictly uncool

RIP urich

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Jessica Jones and Luke Cage

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Sorvah posted:

Passing and becoming a member of the bar in NY does not require you to get fingerprinted. At least not when I did it.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 15, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

WickedHate posted:

Did they put the date on the screen or something? I thought Drops of Jupiter playing was meant to indicate it took place in 2001.

I had a funny/depressing "I'm old" moment when Foggy said something about padawans and I was like "those were only in the prequels, which wouldn't have been out when these guys were in college!" Then I realized that these guys are probably like 25-26 and went to college in the late aughts.

Finished the series last night, loved it, but the cribbing from the Nolan movies was a bit much. Police escort scene, "make me a symbol" (which doesn't even make sense, he's not using any Devil imagery besides his little horns), Fisk vs DD being like shot-for-shot Bane vs Batman. I know Daredevil is Marvel's Batman but it was distracting sometimes.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Oh, I'll be so down with some Iron Fist action! Ages me a whole helluva lot, but I've still got a slew of the "Deadly Hands of Kung Fu," large-sized comic magazines Marvel put out a zillion years ago (bought second-hand, mind you) that I've read and re-read more than once.

Love the genre and can't loving wait.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Daredevil movie is worth buying simply to get the extra material about Daredevil in the comics. It is the best I have ever seen from a comicbook movie.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

I had a funny/depressing "I'm old" moment when Foggy said something about padawans and I was like "those were only in the prequels, which wouldn't have been out when these guys were in college!" Then I realized that these guys are probably like 25-26 and went to college in the late aughts.

Finished the series last night, loved it, but the cribbing from the Nolan movies was a bit much. Police escort scene, "make me a symbol" (which doesn't even make sense, he's not using any Devil imagery besides his little horns), Fisk vs DD being like shot-for-shot Bane vs Batman. I know Daredevil is Marvel's Batman but it was distracting sometimes.

Will we ever come to a point where a super hero movie/show can be done realistically/gritty without saying they are just ripping off Nolan?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Blackchamber posted:

Will we ever come to a point where a super hero movie/show can be done realistically/gritty without saying they are just ripping off Nolan?

Sorry if police are involved it just takes me right out of it. Can barely focus its so Nolan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blackchamber posted:

What makes it even better is that they are both using Frank Miller material.