Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The first PV for tri as well as the rest of the cast announcements & actual airdates will be revealed on May 6th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Does that first part say they're streaming the last episode of Adventure?

If so, would that indicate that they're ignoring most if not all of 02?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They will stream ALL Adventure in 3 days leading up to the pv, the 02 ending is a big part of the story for tri

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
That's unfortunate.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

5/4 17:00 Adventure 1-19
5/5 17:00 Adventure 20-38
5/6 16:00 Adventure 39-54
5/6 22:45 tri Event

39-54 is roughly 6~ hours so they'll probably pad it a bit and start the tri stuff shortly after it ends.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

aers posted:

5/4 17:00 Adventure 1-19
5/5 17:00 Adventure 20-38
5/6 16:00 Adventure 39-54
5/6 22:45 tri Event

39-54 is roughly 6~ hours so they'll probably pad it a bit and start the tri stuff shortly after it ends.

That leaves no space for 02 to run, I am content.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do people act like 02 ruined their lives

it was a mediocre show with a couple of okay points and a weird ending

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Endorph posted:

Shipping is Life, man...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I liked 02 alot as a kid. The rewatch has been real rough though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

The thing that sold it for me was the Christmas run of it. Where someone decided to watch through the entire of 02 on the lead up to christmas slowly losing his poo poo more and more.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As a kid I think I liked the Digimon Emperor arc of 02 but everything else wasn't very fun.

I enjoyed it more than Frontier though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So we're clear I am to take it that the airdate is going to be announced at that date, effectively half way through the season they announced previously would be when it would air.

:suicide:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

02's biggest sin in my book (well, one of them anyway) was that it needed one final arc with a villain that wasn't a rehash from the previous series. I thought that what all the dark ocean/dark spore stuff was leading up to but apparently that was just a tie in to the video games. If Tri deals with this and those hell-themed digimon that showed up for like five minutes in a satisfying way 02 would actually move into my "Not Terrible Digimon Series" column.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

So we're clear I am to take it that the airdate is going to be announced at that date, effectively half way through the season they announced previously would be when it would air.

:suicide:

Was Tri ever officially confirmed to begin airing in the spring?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

readingatwork posted:

02's biggest sin in my book (well, one of them anyway) was that it needed one final arc with a villain that wasn't a rehash from the previous series. I thought that what all the dark ocean/dark spore stuff was leading up to but apparently that was just a tie in to the video games. If Tri deals with this and those hell-themed digimon that showed up for like five minutes in a satisfying way 02 would actually move into my "Not Terrible Digimon Series" column.

Well the Dark Spore stuff was a tie-in to Ken's origins in the Wonderswan games, but the stuff with the Dark Ocean was a combination of broken promises and bad politics. That episode was made by Chiaki J. Konaka who was series head of Digimon Tamers among other things, he was apparently promised the chance to do a follow-up to it but never got it because Toei was being crappy.

Edward IV posted:

Was Tri ever officially confirmed to begin airing in the spring?

I believe it was stated to be Spring 2015 a while ago, but this is the first time we got an actual date.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Well at least we have an.. announcement date. That's more than we've had for the past few weeks.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oh.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

vivisecting posted:

Well at least we have an.. announcement date. That's more than we've had for the past few weeks.

Can't wait to find out which one of the Digimon will be running for president!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Craptacular! posted:

Can't wait to find out which one of the Digimon will be running for president!

Demidevimon would make a great politician.

KoB
May 1, 2009
So Ive only seen Adventure and 2, along with bits of Xros Wars because I like big robots and Shoutmon yelling is funny.

What is the deal with all the crazy evolution stuff? How does that one dude fuse with his digimon? How does that other dude transform into a digimon? Is there an explanation to how Masaru can punch Megas in the face?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KoB posted:

So Ive only seen Adventure and 2, along with bits of Xros Wars because I like big robots and Shoutmon yelling is funny.

What is the deal with all the crazy evolution stuff? How does that one dude fuse with his digimon? How does that other dude transform into a digimon? Is there an explanation to how Masaru can punch Megas in the face?

Bullshit and shonen nonsense mostly.

The good seasons offer a relatively well thought out explanation for their nonsense, like Tamers and Adventure.

The not so good ones either don't bother, or it's because of FIGHTING SPIRIT

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

KoB posted:

Same way armor digivolving works, or why you needed crests to reach ultimate in Adventure. It's part of the premise of whatever season to keep it from getting stale.

Sometimes it's attached to the thematic thrust of the show (why the kids have to fuse with their partners to reach Mega form in Tamers, why Masaru can punch dudes in the face like it ain't no thang), other times it's part of the gimmick of the season and isn't really explored beyond that (Armor digivolving, basically anything from Frontier).

Burkion posted:

Bullshit and shonen nonsense mostly.

The good seasons offer a relatively well thought out explanation for their nonsense, like Tamers and Adventure.

The not so good ones either don't bother, or it's because of FIGHTING SPIRIT

What was the thought out explanation behind the magical arrows that are somehow required to reach Mega level?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Classy Hydra posted:

Same way armor digivolving works, or why you needed crests to reach ultimate in Adventure. It's part of the premise of whatever season to keep it from getting stale.

Sometimes it's attached to the thematic thrust of the show (why the kids have to fuse with their partners to reach Mega form in Tamers, why Masaru can punch dudes in the face like it ain't no thang), other times it's part of the gimmick of the season and isn't really explored beyond that (Armor digivolving, basically anything from Frontier).

What was the thought out explanation behind the magical arrows that are somehow required to reach Mega level?

I actually went into what I THOUGHT it meant as a kid earlier in the thread. Regardless of my non supported stuff, Angemon and Angewomon were both very powerful, with Hope and Light being the most powerful elements of all the Kids- Tai and Matt were TK and Kari's brothers and thus they had a super tight link between them.

So using that bond and pushing their elements to the extreme- Matt and Tai having the friendship/courage enough to stand together on an assured suicide pact- mixed with the power of Light and Hope, and there you go. Break the limits, do the impossible, all that bullshit.

An element of that connection remained from then on out, at least with Kari and Tai.

Remember that Tai wasn't the one who made Agumon go War Greymon and murder the poo poo out of Machinedramon- that was Kari. She empowered him with her Light which gave WarGreymon an insane boost in power, enough to overcome Machinedramon's overwhelming power.

I kind of wish we got moments like that more often in the show- kids making a Digimon that isn't their partner Digivolve.

Besides Season 2 anyways. So many interesting ideas in Season 2, so wasted...

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

KoB posted:

What is the deal with all the crazy evolution stuff? How does that one dude fuse with his digimon?

Think of it like a DNA/Jogress evolution. In Digimon Tamers the idea was that the human had an empathic connection to their digimon partner, and that connection is what allowed their digimon to evolve as it got stronger. From that perspective fusing is the most direct final step.

quote:

How does that other dude transform into a digimon?

Spirits. Digimon Frontier's backstory is that a long time ago ten really powerful digimon fought a bad guy, and when they died they left behind their spirits which had their power. If you use a spirit you evolve to a Digimon that has inherited the power of those legendary warriors, regardless of whether you actually were a digimon or not.

quote:

Is there an explanation to how Masaru can punch Megas in the face?

Yes. Digimon Savers has a thing called a Digisoul which some people have that can be channeled to allow for evolution. Most people can summon it at will, but Masaru being a musclehead who thinks with fists can only summon it by punching a Digimon. It turns out over the course of the series that bottled evolution is also a surprisingly effective weapon, Masaru's father with a similar style of Digisoul once created a lake out of a desert just by punching the ground so hard it opened a geyser.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wait so punching digimon in the face directly allows his agumon to evolve? Thats great.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

KoB posted:

Wait so punching digimon in the face directly allows his agumon to evolve? Thats great.

Yup. There are a few battles where an evolved agumon is desperately needed for support so he has to figure out a way to punch the digimon in the face.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

everythingWasBees posted:

Yup. There are a few battles where an evolved agumon is desperately needed for support so he has to figure out a way to punch the digimon in the face.

And in Xros Wars 2, he can murder waves of Belial Vandemon with his fists.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Omnicrom posted:

Think of it like a DNA/Jogress evolution. In Digimon Tamers the idea was that the human had an empathic connection to their digimon partner, and that connection is what allowed their digimon to evolve as it got stronger. From that perspective fusing is the most direct final step.

The other plot point for that was them being in Digitial World to do so, they technically had digital bodies and could pull that off. Its why they needed a McGuffin help to do that when they left it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yosuke posted:

The other plot point for that was them being in Digitial World to do so, they technically had digital bodies and could pull that off. Its why they needed a McGuffin help to do that when they left it.

Also you can see at each step of evolution the bond between partner and digimon increasing, the Trio would take damage when their Perfect Level Digimon battled. Tamers was good about that as its themes. Just like Takato's character growth from being a weak willed crybaby into someone brave enough to fight a God is signified by Dukemon, Ruki's acceptance of femininity and that its a strength along side Renamon characterizing herself as a female (and the show spells it out for you in case your dense) leads to Sakuyamon, and Jian's acceptance that yes, there are battles where you must fight and go full force, leads to SaintGalgomon and literally ALL OF THE GUNS.

And their partners remain good contrast to that from Guilmons Child like Naievity to Renamons strict devotion to being a program to Terriermons playfulness and refusal to take situations seriously.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

nine-gear crow posted:

God, I'd love to see someone do a "why did this thing fail so hard" episode by episode trip report on Frontier similar to the one PoptartsNinja did for Gundam AGE.

That would just be hilarious.

Digimon Frontier Trip Report
Episode 1: The Legendary Warrior! Agnimon of Fire

Takuya Kanbara skipped his brother's birthday to catch a train because of a text message and a voice from his cellphone. He nearly got run over by a truck before making his train. Our protagonist.

Takuya made his train, followed another kid because he thought the kid might have gotten the same message and dove into an elevator as it was closing. I'm not sure if he's suicidal or just stupid.

Takuya and the other kid get on different trains. As Takuya explores his train, he meets three other kids: Junpei Shibayama, Izumi Orimoto and Tomoki Himi. Junpei has a thing for Izumi (the only girl) and Tomoki cries a lot.

The train goes vertical and the kids' cellphones turn into Digivices. We're in the Digital World now!

The talking train tells the kids to find "Spirits." Tomoki starts crying again and wants to go home. so he starts walking back along the rail that is suspended in midair. Takuya goes to save him, but is sidetracked by a bunch of fire and some buildings turning into blue code.

A Digimon called Cerberumon wants a Spirit and tries to fry Takuya and two other Digimon to get it. Takuya saves Tomoki and the two Digimon and finds a Spirit. So, he's really really lucky I guess?

The Spirit burns Cerberumon, but not Takuya. Takuya's Digivice floats over to him, it absorbs the Spirit and Takuya transforms into a Digimon: Agnimon of Fire, one of the ten Legendary Warriors (thanks, random expository Digimon!) Agnimon manages to save Tomoki and the extra Digimon from Cerberumon and beat him super quick. Cerberumon turns into a Digiegg and Agnimon turns back into Takuya.

Final Thoughts: As intro episodes go, this one's not bad. We meet four of the five protagonists, who introduce themselves, we see a little of Takuya and Tomoki's personalities and Takuya finds a Spirit and transforms, clearly setting up a series of episodes where each kid finds a Spirit and transforms. We don't know why the kids were called to the Digital World yet, but it's a solid start.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have a much longer set of thoughts if you guys are interested. I didn't know how much space I should take up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I have a much longer set of thoughts if you guys are interested. I didn't know how much space I should take up.

It's not like we're wrapped in the middle of a deep discussion, take as long as you want.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Some Numbers posted:

Feel free to take as much space as you need, I for one am enjoying vicariously rewatching the show through you. Also im probably just misremebering, but Isnt the fire spirit named Agunimon?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Go whole hog on it. ...Though now I'm feeling kind of guilty for goading you into this. Best of luck with it. :shobon:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Quincytbb posted:

Feel free to take as much space as you need, I for one am enjoying vicariously rewatching the show through you. Also im probably just misremebering, but Isnt the fire spirit named Agunimon?

In the dub they added a superfluous U

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Digimon Frontier Trip Report
Episode 1: The Legendary Warrior! Agnimon

Fire is a good opening, but the lyrics make zero sense.

Our goggle-kid is running down the street, looking at his phone and talking about fate.

He stops in an intersection to kick a soccer ball and nearly gets run over. Smart.

Oh hey, it's in media res. We literally just went back less than 10 minutes. We did learn his name: Takuya Kanbara. Takuya's cellphone gets a text and when he responsed, a voice tells him that he's going to play a game to decide his fate and he has to run for a train.

Oh look, he didn't get run over. Kid's gotta run and make his train.

Headbutting the ATM gave him a train ticket? Why can't that work in the real world?

Takuya guesses, based on nothing, that the kid wearing blue might have gotten the same message and follows him into an elevator. I'm not sure if he's suicidal or just stupid.

The elevator goes way way way further down than it should and dumps the kids in front of a bunch of different trains. Takuya's given a final choice to get on or not.

The camera focuses on three specific kids. I'm sure they won't be relevant.

Takuya manages to get on one of the trains and sees the kid in blue staring stoically from another one. Their trains go down different tunnels.

Takuya begins to explore his train and finds a car with the three kids the camera focused on, to the surprise of no one.

The kids begin conversing and introduce themselves: Junpei Shibayama, Izumi Orimoto and Tomoki Himi. Junpei clearly has a thing for Izumi and Tomoki is a terrified kid who is crying. Tomoki didn't want to get on the train, but some kids forced him on.

The lights go out, the kids lose their balance and we get flashes of...something covering each of them. Takuya's cellphone lights up and transforms into a Digivice. The voice welcomes him to the Digital World.

The train, which has a ton of very pointy teeth, has been driving vertically. The track levels out under a brilliant blue sky. The other three kids also now have Digivices. I'm assuming that they also had cellphones. It's Japan, everyone has a cellphone. Interestingly, their Digivices are different colors.

HOLY poo poo THAT IS A MOUTH. THE TRAIN IS ROARING.

There's a bunch of little white things flying next to the train. One splats itself on the window and really creeps out Izumi.

Oh okay, the ENGINE is a monster with a ton of teeth, the rest of the train is just a train.

The camera pulls out and we see the entire Digital World, which is one planet that has a bunch of holes in it. Do planets work like that?

The train stops, the doors open and bunch of little guys stare at our heroes. Some steam billows up behind them and pushes them out of the train.

Oh hey the train talks. And it says it's not a train. It's a Trailmon called Worm. Sure, okay. The kids are in the Fire Terminal.

Oh good, Tomoki is crying again. He wants to go home.

Worm starts to leave and tells the kids that if they want to go home, they need to find the "Spirits."

Tomoki decides that he's going home no matter what and starts running out on the rail...the rail that runs out into midair for a while. Smart.

Takuya takes charge and tells Tomoki that he'll get him home. Then Tomoki nearly falls off the rail. Before Takuya can go save Tomoki, a fire erupts nearby and a bunch of buildings turn into blue code and disappear. A pair of Digimon come running from the fire and bump into Takuya. They're running from Cerberumon, who is looking for a Legendary Spirit.

Cerberumon breathes fire, which turns the whole area into the same blue code, while Takuya jumps the fire, runs out on the rail and saves Tomoki, all while the two Digimon cling to him. Cerberumon eats the town's "Digicode" and the rail starts to list.

Takuya, Tomoki and the two Digimon manage to slide off onto solid ground. Hitting the ground dislodges Takuya's Digivice, which starts to glow. The Digivice shoots a beam of light into a giant flame, which turns into a pillar of light. Inside the pillar of light is a Legendary Spirit.

Cerberumon jumps down, sees the Spirit and charges. Takuya picks up a pipe and tries to stop Cerberumon. As Cerberumon jumps over him, Takuya grabs its tail and they go into the light together.

Cerberumon gets lit on fire and jumps out of the pillar, but the fire doesn't affect Takuya at all. In Takuya's mind, he and something walk into each other. Takuya's Digivice flys over to him, it absorbs the Spirit and we get our first transformation.

A ring of blue code surrounds Takuya's hand. He swipes his Digivice through the code while saying "Spirit Evolution." The code then wraps around his body and forms into pieces of armor. The armor comes together and Takuya becomes Agnimon.

Everyone expresses disbelief at a human becoming a Digimon and one of those two Digimon takes out a book, identifying Takuya's new form as one of the ten Legendary Warriors, Agnimon of Fire.

Agnimon dodges Cerberumon's flame breath, grabs Tomoki and the two Digimon and deposits them safely with Junpei and Izumi. Also, Izumi speaks Italian, apparently.

As Agnimon is jumping down, Cerberumon uses some named attack called "Inferno Gate" and opens a bunch of holes in the air. Agnimon can apparently jump in midair, because he avoids a couple of them before finally falling into pure darkness. Cerberumon has the advantage for a moment, but Agnimon catches him. Cerberumon breathes fire on him, but it doesn't seem to affect him. Agnimon starts spinning and turns into a fire tornado which engulfs Cerberumon and breaks out of the Dark Area. Agnimon kicks Cerberumon, Tomoki and Izumi think it's great and Junpei looks displeased.

Cerberumon is surrounded by more blue code. Agnimon scans the Digicode and Cerberumon turns into a Digiegg, which flies away. Agnimon is surrounded by Digicode and turns back into Takuya. The voice from earlier calls Takuya a Chosen Child and we see the stoic kid wearing blue in a different train.

Final Thoughts: This was a pretty good first episode. While the episode focused a ton on Takuya, we met four of the five main characters and saw bits of their personality, though right now those are The Leader, The Girl, The Kid and The One Crushing on the Girl. Hopefully they'll get a bit more developed later in future episodes, like when they get their own Spirits.

Quincytbb posted:

The dub calls the Warrior of Fire "Agunimon" and that's not wrong. I'm just going by the subtitles I have.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Onmi posted:

In the dub they added a superfluous U

Ah that would explain it, thanks.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Agni/Agunimon is based off a Hindu deity, and the pronunciation kinda depends on how you stress and draw out the sounds (and a long g does tend to add a 'u' somewhere). Though the english pronunciation probably emphasizes it the wrong way anyhow.

But yeah, I really do like Frontier's opening episode. There's something about the way it handles the world building in a short span that I really like, though I do confess may have been handled better given what they do ultimately go with. Still, I always find something really cool in the train station scene, with dozens if not hundreds of potential heroes called upon in the hopes of getting the few who'll actually make the cut.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

Agni/Agunimon is based off a Hindu deity, and the pronunciation kinda depends on how you stress and draw out the sounds (and a long g does tend to add a 'u' somewhere). Though the english pronunciation probably emphasizes it the wrong way anyhow.

But yeah, I really do like Frontier's opening episode. There's something about the way it handles the world building in a short span that I really like, though I do confess may have been handled better given what they do ultimately go with. Still, I always find something really cool in the train station scene, with dozens if not hundreds of potential heroes called upon in the hopes of getting the few who'll actually make the cut.

That was the neatest part really, It's not that there were the 5 chosen children and they made it, Mysterious Cellphone Messager is desparate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I really like Adventure 01 dub and still enjoy it on re-watch. I remember that Adventure 02 dub was also pretty good when I saw it as a kid, but now I just...I just can't sit through it all again.

"DIGIIIIII ARMORRRRRRRRR ENERRRRRRRRRR GIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!"

Also Cody's english dub va was just awful. Are you whispering or talking buddy? Make up your mind.

Worm-mon was cool though.