Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Shugojin posted:

And that's exactly why Koon wants to find her without Baam.

Looks like that might not exactly be an option anymore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-145/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=226

:f5:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Does anyone else still translate this? Webtoons was particularly bad this week.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sindai posted:

Does anyone else still translate this? Webtoons was particularly bad this week.

Yeah, what the hell was that? It's not normally like that. Whoever was doing it was trying to use American slang without getting it, I guess? Or else they were just so bad that they coincidentally hit some slang.

E: "Shut up, this is an important moment. I mean, I don't know what the gently caress is happening, but it seems pretty dramatic anyway."

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Surprisingly little actually happened this chapter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TWIST FIST posted:

Surprisingly little actually happened this chapter.

It's hard to talk or do things when you're hyperventilating. And for the people not Rachel, Baam, or in the middle of a fight it was probably too awkward to do anything. I mean, they just started hyperventilating like Naruto thinking about Sasuke, and then the conversation turned to why didn't you die when I tried to kill you.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Should I watch the anime or read the manga if I haven't seen either?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

goodness posted:

Should I watch the anime or read the manga if I haven't seen either?

There is no anime for TOG as of yet, not sure if there are plans for it either.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Hirethor posted:

There is no anime for TOG as of yet, not sure if there are plans for it either.

Oh whoops, I thought it was anime when it said seasons, episodes. The main site in the op is down, whats a good one to use?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/en/ Is the official translation site. It has problems, but I think they're the only ones doing it now.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 7, 2015

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
A lot of korean webtoons use the seasons/episodes terminology instead of chapters/volumes. Don't know why that is beyond guesses at "they seem closer to cartoons due to having color and vertical, scrolling layouts like those old animated picture viewer toys you'd scroll through via a crank" though don't think any of them have actually gotten animated. Some of them might've gotten live action? I'm not really familiar with what's actually popular in terms of korean entertainment or I guess korea in general to know why any of this is like it is.

Would probably be an interesting discussion if anybody knows more.

edit: Every time I read a new chapter of this I end up thinking I should start pretending it's a monthly and read the latest 4 chapters the start of each month. The pacing has gotten kind of obnoxious otherwise, in my opinion.

Decus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 7, 2015

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-146/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=227

More build up.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Wow are we finally going to see belligerent Baam? Hell yes

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

How do I put this gently...

Baam, brother, she's just not into you. Don't be a creeper.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mo_Steel posted:

How do I put this gently...

Baam, brother, she's just not into you. Don't be a creeper.

Nah, it's more that his girl tried to kill him, and all these years later when he asks why her answer is "Lol, because I felt like it".

Admittedly, he does need to accept that she's not into him and that the attempted kill wasn't just he world's strongest Neg.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
While Baam is a socially inept dork who can't take a hint, it's important to remember that he grew up in a literal hole in the ground and everything he knew about human interaction he learned from Rachel.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Baam bring revealed as a huge creep would be a welcome and interesting twist considering every reveal he's had since the first arc has been "I can't believe he's the chosen one!!" He's probably the leas interesting character. At least Koon has that smug going for him.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
:yikes:

Guys, we don't know why Rachel tried to murder Baam, but most likely it isn't because he's a stalker and he wants to rape her, so stop being so loving creepy and most of all stop being such white knights for imaginary girls.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I don't need to be a white knight to find Baam's "WHAT???? I AM NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT ... TO YOU???? UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!" disgusting. And I really hope someone beats some sense into him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm pretty sure she tried to kill him because he was stealing the spotlight from her. Rachel wanted to be the hero of her own story but she lacked any of the qualities to fulfill that dream. Baam represents all the things she doesn't have and won't achieve through her own efforts.

Baam has proven himself to have the capacity to actually scale the tower through his determination and irregular abilities. Rachel is being used by others for unknown reason and can't do much for herself. I don't know what Headon was thinking letting her climb up, but her ascent has been aided by Fug and I don't know why.

Baam is being very immature but I wouldn't say creepy. Rachel is something of a mother to him, she taught him things and was the only other sentient creature he knew for his entire life. Him seeking confirmation for why she would betray him so severely is completely understandable. And then essentially throwing a temper tantrum when he finally realized he has been rejected makes sense. He's still a child emotionally and he's been coping for years now by just bottling things up.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I dunno, Baam's whole "irregular" situation seems to fit his mindset in general; he doesn't think or reason like a normal human, and maybe isn't one anyway. The situation he was found in and how he reacts to Rachel and others isn't too surprising or "weird" if you think of it as an alien mimicking human emotions and thought processes. Like yeah, clearly he's really stuck on Rachel, but she's this strange sort of mother/heroine figure who essentially "saved" and raised him before throwing it all away and betraying him for some yet unknown reason.

Rachel is definitely a messed up person, but seeing all these people gather around a source of her fear and someone, or something, she sees in a completely different light is probably really unsettling at a minimum. Baam is definitely creepy, but it's his entire character that's off, not his obsession with Rachel in particular.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Baam looks like a creepy stalker for chasing a girl who wasn't interested in him, but the context makes his quest seems less like obsession and more like a lack of anything better to do.

When Rachel entered the tower, his options were to follow her, or sit alone in darkness forever.

When he got knocked into a coma trying to protect her, she pretended to be someone else and avoided him completely instead of talking to him about why she didn't want him to follow her. Baam knew she was avoiding him, and even if he didn't know why he kept his distance. He went out and made other friends and developed as a person. Rachel was no longer the only light in his universe.

The next time she talked to him was after she got injured, when she lied about the severity of her wound for the express purpose of drawing him closer so she could murder him and ride the pity-train to the top of the tower.

After that, he was understandably upset and probably more than a little curious as to why his oldest friend in the world would betray him, but the main factor motivating him to climb the tower was a desire to protect his real friends from FUG. Rachel became a side quest, he knew that if he kept climbing he would meet her again.

Now he's found her, and he's got questions and unresolved emotions. But it's important to note that when he talks about following her, and having faith in her, he's talking in the past tense. He was holding on to some scrap of hope that she would have a good excuse for betraying him, but that vanished the moment she opened her mouth. Now he's just angry, and justifiably so.

If anyone is obsessed with Rachel it's Koon, that guy can hold a grudge.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Agreement: Baam snapping is pretty :gonk:

Disagreement: Baam doesn't really seem like he had been taking a lover's angle towards Rachel in the past, and while the wording in this chapter kinda supports that better, I would agree with some of the other peeps here that it's like his mom telling him he's worthless to her.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, people seem to gloss over the "Grew up in a cave, alone in the darkness" part of his life. Rachel isn't a friend to him. She's not just some person he was close to. She is the first, last, and only interaction he has had with anything at all ever in his entire life. Not "human interaction", interaction with anything at all. She is quite literally everything to him, as she is the only thing he has to gauge himself against. He *is* like a toddler, and she is like his mother. The world he understands consists entirely of her. When he entered the Tower, he just wanted to find her. He does, she tries to kill him. Next he wants to find out why she did that and protect his friends. And now he finds her and the single defining feature of his entire life says "Eh, I don't really care about you".

It's like his mom telling him he was a mistake, not like some girl refusing to go to prom with him. It's understandable he would be....perturbed.

e: Which doesn't mean this isn't about to get weird, but at least it's weird in a different way!

Mulva fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 14, 2015

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Rachel isn't even bother to lie to Baam anymore to try and manipulate him. He's not even useful as a tool to her. She's completely and utterly cast him away at this point.

And yeah, Baam was completely isolated for the early part of his life. Rachel is the one who taught him how to talk.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
Now I hope we see why Rachels said she was afraid of the night back in season one.

Speaking of season one there was a incident referenced by a series of flashback images of a time before the tower during the crown game. They showed them meeting and then someone holding Rachel by the hair in a clearly distressed pose. This is right before he dose the impossible with living shinso manipulation and takes Redheads eye. I'm wondering if what he did in that flashback is what lead her to fear the Thing she found sealed under a stone in a cavern.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't think Shinsoo exists outside the tower but I've never really thought about why Baam was kept in a hole under the ground.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I don't know why Baam was kept in a hole under the ground, but I'm starting to suspect that Rachel ended up there as some kind of punishment or sacrifice.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

where did baam get his vest and butcher knife

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

where did baam get his vest and butcher knife

I think that will be a good plot point, because creepy or not Baam has hit a braking point. What we see next will show his character under not just stress, but despair.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

zerosix posted:

Now I hope we see why Rachels said she was afraid of the night back in season one.

Baam's name can be translated as "night"...or "chestnut". Given his full name is apparently Twenty-Fifth Baam, it would make more sense if it was night rather than chestnut. According to him Twenty-Fifth refers to the day he was born.

Of course he could also be the twenty-fifth in a line of shinsoo experiments involving chestnuts.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Slime posted:

According to him Twenty-Fifth refers to the day he was born.

Of course he could also be the twenty-fifth in a line of shinsoo experiments involving chestnuts.

It also could mean his birthday was Christmas making him ether prepubescent Santa, Jesus, or heart of the December weapon from the 12 month blade series.

I thought a LOT about his name and the potential symbolism.

i mean heck if we are talking biblical allegory Baam could be chasing his version of Mary Mandolin Mary Magdalene. But I find that way madness lies. :fap::downs:

Edit: Autocorrect!!! :argh:

zerosix fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 18, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zerosix posted:

i mean heck if we are talking biblical allegory Baam could be chasing his version of Mary Mandolin. But I find that way madness lies. :fap::downs:

I'd expect better of our lord and savior's taste in music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfttKiVMjR8

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Glad to see everyone excited about TOG again.

Re: "That's unacceptable" chat, pretty much everything has been covered, but I was just thinking last night how Baam wasn't saying that it's unacceptable that she has some goal or interest that's more important than him, but that it's unacceptable that she literally tried to murder him for her goal. It's perfectly reasonable for him to be pissed, even before you consider how gung ho he is about friendship.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-147/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=228

Oh dear. As the comments said, Baam went full yandere

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Whatever you think about Baam there's something incredibly satisfying about seeing him really cut loose with his powers.

Plus honestly? Screw Rachel. She's done nothing but manipulate/hurt/kill people since she's come into the Tower.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Finally

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
wasn't expecting the bad guys to be into heavy drug use

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

PFlats posted:

wasn't expecting the bad guys to be into heavy drug use

Heroin = Heroine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Fully expecting the final confrontation to actually be on/beyond the train, but drat I'd love to see Baam just mop up all of these dudes in one go. :allears: