Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Jerry Cotton posted:

English really doesn't have another term for it? We call it kehäpäätelmä which roughly translates to loop conclusion.

"Circular reasoning" would work quite nicely.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

English really doesn't have another term for it? We call it kehäpäätelmä which roughly translates to loop conclusion.

https://en.glosbe.com/fi/en/keh%C3%A4p%C3%A4%C3%A4telm%C3%A4

Begging the Question actually is "assuming the conclusion of an argument," and a type of circular reasoning.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pricing and functionality wise this isn't that terrible of a product but one part of it jumped out at me:

quote:

Designer McGowan was adamant the cold, non-interactive nature of remote controls would not be part of Sprout. Instead, a precision human interface was chosen for the front panel: a stepped tactile volume control and input selector mechanism provide both feedback and a connection to the device itself.
I'm constantly wishing I had to get up and walk to my amp to use it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Love that wood panel, makes me feel like I'm in a 2000 Taurus with the fancy interior package.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That webdesign is awful. The images are all different heights so the stuff on the page moves around as it flips through them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

qirex posted:

pricing and functionality wise this isn't that terrible of a product but one part of it jumped out at me:

I'm constantly wishing I had to get up and walk to my amp to use it.

Yeah, I've gotten used to not having remote controls on my stereos, and I kinda get what the writer is saying too -- a really nice volume knob is a pleasure to use if it has good weight to it or clicks a little, or it's cold to touch -- but remote controls are in every single modern device for a really good reason.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Yeah it's really nice to be able to pull out your phone and turn the volume down on your stereo when you are in another room.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, I've gotten used to not having remote controls on my stereos, and I kinda get what the writer is saying too -- a really nice volume knob is a pleasure to use if it has good weight to it or clicks a little, or it's cold to touch -- but remote controls are in every single modern device for a really good reason.

They didn't want to say the real reason was a remote control involves extra engineering / production / cost. Also, it means you need to control volume in software, so you can't just throw a pot on it. Adding a remote to something like that would be a serious redesign for something designed to be mass produced cheaply but look expensive and have huge margins.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

They didn't want to say the real reason was a remote control involves extra engineering / production / cost. Also, it means you need to control volume in software, so you can't just throw a pot on it. Adding a remote to something like that would be a serious redesign for something designed to be mass produced cheaply but look expensive and have huge margins.

yup.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KillHour posted:

Also, it means you need to control volume in software, so you can't just throw a pot on it.
No it doesn't. Plenty of nineties receivers with motorized volume knobs that are just that.

That's extra engineering too, I know. It's not that I don't get that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Flipperwaldt posted:

No it doesn't. Plenty of nineties receivers with motorized volume knobs that are just that.

A lot of current amplifiers still use motorized volume knobs. Look at the current NAD lineup, for example. Plenty of motorized knobs.

I think part of the "problem" is that it's hard to make a motorized stepped volume control, and audiophiles want those stepped knobs filled with expensive precision resistors.

Never mind that most "digital" volume controls actually use resistor ladders internally and thus function as high-precision stepped attenuators.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I hadn't read anything about the sprout's design prior to demoing one (with the designer sitting there) and my first comment was that the volume control felt great. He mentioned that they did spend a lot of time trying different controls to get the feel right. It's a small thing, but it does make the amp better.

I would also say that the amp was designed mainly for headphone and desktop systems where not having a remote has less of a negative effect. But I wouldn't use it in my living room because getting up to change the volume sucks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah, I know. I just didn't bring those up because they aren't particularly common any more (NAD being the exception). Still, the point stands.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Gonna need to get Knob Feel's take on it before I put my order in.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beaten to knobfeel :mad:

e: There's definitely something to these companies trying to make digital gear feel "analog-y," since the kinds of people to whom an $800 t-amp looks affordable really, really like analog stuff.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 15, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

Gonna need to get Knob Feel's take on it before I put my order in.

Holy poo poo, this is the best.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
did they seriously use the bass clef and treble clef as tone knob labels

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BANME.sh posted:

did they seriously use the bass clef and treble clef as tone knob labels

I've seen that done on a bunch of stuff, particularly (pre-remote control) TVs, for some reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What the gently caress are you supposed to label them with, then?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

What the gently caress are you supposed to label them with, then?

"Bass" and "Treble", typically. :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

"Bass" and "Treble", typically. :v:

What do those even mean :confused: Just use the ear-shaped thing and the weird ampersand like normal people.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I would like it if they made a remote control that had a volume knob, but that's a whole other :can:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wasabi the J posted:

I would like it if they made a remote control that had a volume knob, but that's a whole other :can:

I remember using a VHS machine that had a jog dial on the remote control, but I think that's the closest we've gotten.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Devialet does. It's actually a really good remote.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The Chinese amp we repacked didn't have ir so neither does this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pigs are flying - I found an honest to god audible problem caused by my speaker cables. Specifically the banana plugs.

A specific frequency was causing one of the plugs to vibrate in its binding post, causing audible crackling as the connection was made and broken. :haw:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

KillHour posted:

Pigs are flying - I found an honest to god audible problem caused by my speaker cables. Specifically the banana plugs.

A specific frequency was causing one of the plugs to vibrate in its binding post, causing audible crackling as the connection was made and broken. :haw:

Obviously because you spent less than $10k on the cables, scrub.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

AlexDeGruven posted:

Obviously because you spent less than $10k on the cables, scrub.

Is that each or per foot?

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

I don't have a tv, and play music exclusively from my computer. Right now I have some old speakers and their sub-woofer is basically a receiver, but it's all really old and I want to replace it.

I'm willing to pay about $500, is there something I can get that works fine as computer speakers, but also fills up the room better if I am just listening to music?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Caddrel posted:

I don't have a tv, and play music exclusively from my computer. Right now I have some old speakers and their sub-woofer is basically a receiver, but it's all really old and I want to replace it.

I'm willing to pay about $500, is there something I can get that works fine as computer speakers, but also fills up the room better if I am just listening to music?

This is ~$400, though unless you like lots of bass, the sub is probably optional. I don't run one with those speakers and they go deeper than you'd expect for the size of the driver. I'd start without it and then see if you need it. If your current sub has line-level inputs, you could also just keep using it and not attach the satellites. The lepai inputs are in parallel, so you can just attach the sub to the one you're not using as an input.

DAC: http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
Amp: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/
Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/
Sub: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SW-8MK2-Designed-100-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008NCD2PC/

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

This is ~$400, though unless you like lots of bass, the sub is probably optional. I don't run one with those speakers and they go deeper than you'd expect for the size of the driver. I'd start without it and then see if you need it. If your current sub has line-level inputs, you could also just keep using it and not attach the satellites. The lepai inputs are in parallel, so you can just attach the sub to the one you're not using as an input.

DAC: http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
Amp: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/
Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/
Sub: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SW-8MK2-Designed-100-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008NCD2PC/

Cool, thanks. I'll need to get rid of the sub, it's so old that some of the buttons are broken, but I can try with just the speakers.

How far apart do you place them from each other? I'm guessing that's also important.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is that each or per foot?

Truer 'philes measure in inches.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Caddrel posted:

Cool, thanks. I'll need to get rid of the sub, it's so old that some of the buttons are broken, but I can try with just the speakers.

How far apart do you place them from each other? I'm guessing that's also important.

They're not designed as near field speakers but that being said I have mine on the ends of a desk maybe 6 feet apart, so 4ish feet from my ears, and I'm very happy with the sound.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

Caddrel posted:

The optimal position for 99% of speakers is to form an equilateral triangle with your head + speakers as the three points.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This amazing set of objets d'art are currently up on a local auction site, current bid is €100:

What are they?

Why, they're a matching set of porcelain-clad pre/power amps, of course!

I dunno, at least they're different and I could definitely see them fitting in well with certain styles of decor. You would have to find a matching set of speakers, though, maybe some of those old bookcase-size Klipsches or something.

I don't the manufacturer made any sort of audiophile claims about them, or ascribed any audible effect to the porcelain, but I thought they were weird and wonderful enough to post.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 23, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

KozmoNaut posted:

This amazing set of objets d'art are currently up on a local auction site, current bid is €100:

What are they?

Why, they're a matching set of porcelain-clad pre/power amps, of course!

I dunno, at least they're different and I could definitely see them fitting in well with certain styles of decor. You would have to find a matching set of speakers, though, maybe some of those old bookcase-size Klipsches or something.

I don't the manufacturer made any sort of audiophile claims about them, or ascribed any audible effect to the porcelain, but I thought they were weird and wonderful enough to post.

I would purchase those and disguise them as lamps

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Those are completely cool and not dumb.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Those are completely cool and not dumb.

Assuming they work well and aren't $Texas, I agree. I personally think they're hideous, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

Assuming they work well and aren't $Texas, I agree. I personally think they're hideous, though.

Like I wrote, the current bid is €100. The estimated value is set at €535 and there are ~5 days left on the auction.

The power amp is supposedly 105 watts/channel RMS, so there should be plenty of oomph for just about everything.

E: I didn't post them to make fun of them, I just thought they were kinda weird. If I needed a pre/power amp combo, it would amuse me to have something like that setup sitting on my shelf.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 23, 2015