Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

What makes it even better is that they are both using Frank Miller material.

Pfft. This Miller guy sounds like a nobody, otherwise why would they say "Nolan's Batman". I cant wait til Batman vs Superman comes out because that's original material... but lets face it they are gonna be cribbing Nolan again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red Letter Media really ruined internet criticism.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I thought Daredevil was a better Batman series than anything Nolan did in his three films.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

I almost want to take the effort to watch the entire show with that narration on. Though I think I'd tire of it after maybe a couple episodes.

Just the fight scenes, then

Edit: hmm, description for the blind is available on computer browser but not on the iphone app

Haha, when the Netflix and Marvel titles come up, it even describes them

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 15, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Deadpool posted:

I would be surprised if there weren't some. I mean it's a heavy, violent show and I'm sure not everyone's down with that.

The AV Club gave it a B- which I guess isn't exactly "bad" but I still think is unfair and inaccurate.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

The AV Club gave it a B- which I guess isn't exactly "bad" but I still think is unfair and inaccurate.

You think they inaccurately rated their own opinion?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Unmature posted:

Yes, what they really meant was A++, right guys?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

One guy did. They got another guy doing the episode-by-episode reviews and he's given it A-/B+s so far.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Update: audio description for the blind just popped up in the iPhone app now

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
About the mask, I'm pretty sure it has to be possible to see out of it, even with Matt being blind, because the actor and the stunt double would both need to be able to see in order to do their thing.

Plus a few people mentioned in the thread about being able to see his eyes through the mask at times. So I'm pretty sure it was intended to be seen that way by the characters.

Even if the mask was supposed to completely obstruct sight inside the show, someone mentioned that normal people would be more likely to assume that it's somehow see-through rather than think someone's pulling off all these crazy acrobatic flips without seeing anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The audio description of the fight between Matt and Wilson in episode 9 is great. If my ears had eyes they'd have this expression :stare:

As Matt stands, Fisk resumes battering him like a wrecking ball... Enraged, Fisk throws him like a bowling ball against a desk... He takes a mighty swing against Matt's ribs as he's down, and THEN goes completely savage as he beats Matt's face bloody

It looks like some episodes have audio description and some don't

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 15, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished. Full of gore, violence, and asskicking.

This was great! I loved it, and can't wait for more!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Oh, I'll be so down with some Iron Fist action! Ages me a whole helluva lot, but I've still got a slew of the "Deadly Hands of Kung Fu," large-sized comic magazines Marvel put out a zillion years ago (bought second-hand, mind you) that I've read and re-read more than once.

Love the genre and can't loving wait.

Iron Fist is definitely happening and they seem to be drawing from the more recent Matt Fraction Immortal Iron Fist run (which is utterly fantastic). :getin:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

They have to draw from the Matt Fraction stuff it's the only good Iron Fist stories out there.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hollismason posted:

They have to draw from the Matt Fraction stuff it's the only good Iron Fist stories out there.

Claremont's stuff from the 70's is great.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So spoilers are OK now, right? I've avoided this thread since the 10th, until I got finished, because I have no self control when it comes to hovering over the spoilers in threads...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Foggy I want you to touch my face

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Unmature posted:

Claremont's stuff from the 70's is great.

While I've no idea of the quality, he does have another series out right now it could potentially crib from I suppose. Between the mask and the inclusion of minor mystical and ninja elements they seem to have been testing the waters for Iron-Fist pretty heavily with Daredevil, maybe to see how much they could get away with. I am wondering if the mask he wears the majority of the series is meant to deliberately evoke Iron-Fist not just as a nod to him, but to try and tie the two characters together more strongly if they're going to work the Hand/Chaste in to the Heavenly Cities stuff as Stone talking about the doors opening would suggest.

Kurtofan posted:

I kind of felt bad for Foggy in that scene, even before the building next door exploded. On a date with a really hot, fun girl and she's obviously thinking about your best friend while he tries to make the best of it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Well to be frank he's the one bringing up all of these stories about Matt, it felt like he didn't have a lot of self confidence and had to talk about his best friend all the time.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Kurtofan posted:

Nah he's got a lot of adult acne.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

tsob posted:

I love the little disbelieving glance Wesley gives down and then back up after the first bullet hits.

I haven't seen the movie since it came out and don't believe I've ever seen the director's cut. Is it worth tracking down a cheap copy to listen to this for the tidbits on how they integrated blind stuff in to the character and stories about how hosed up the film was? I'll probably try and do so regardless, because I don't recall particularly hating the theatrical cut, just finding it mediocre and the director's cut is decent according to most.

The making of is on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhrS5qA1j6c

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Narrator seems to think Sergei is pronounced Sir Gay.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Narrator seems to think Sergei is pronounced Sir Gay.

You do pronounce it like that, though - with some inconsequential variances.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Unmature posted:

No. I think it's an "inaccurate" rating, like getting a B- on an essay or something, but I agree that I could have worded that better. I still can't come up with the word I'm looking for. Maybe "unfair"?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 15, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BiggerBoat posted:

No. I think it's an "inaccurate" rating, like getting a B- on an essay or something, but I agree that I could have worded that better. I still can't come up with the word I'm looking for. Maybe "unfair"?

It's easiest to just say "wrong" if you don't agree with them.

If you think their score didn't match the text of the review, though, then I guess you could go with "unjustified".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd say I disagreed with the text of the review, considering that the big criticisms were that it was dark and violent, and that there was no levity or humour. The former is... um, yeah? That's kind of the USP of Daredevil in this incarnation, and of the Netflix series in general. And Daredevil has that tone as it's most iconic mode. And the second... I really don't know what show Noel Murray watched. The screeners that critics got were the first five, and if you don't think Foggy and Karen drunkly yelling about eel strength is humour, I'm not sure what to tell you. You can think it wasn't funny, but that's not the same thing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

While there was mention of the director being interested in blind culture and asking questions of the consultant, there's nothing in any of the 6 parts of that that I can see regarding folding money or organizing clothes or what not. Since I'm not seeing anything on Youtube after a quick search either any chance you remember what the extra was called?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

That's loving ridiculous. By your metric that person would say what you're saying is just as inaccurate. Someone isn't wrong just because they don't like a thing that you like.

And the worst part is that a B- is a GOOD review. I liked the show too, but I didn't think it was great. A B- is actually what I'd probably give it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Deadpool posted:

Thank you. Out of all 13 episodes this was the thing I wanted most as a GIF.

Yeah, as soon as I saw that scene I thought "Yup, that needs to be a GIF." :v:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

tsob posted:

While there was mention of the director being interested in blind culture and asking questions of the consultant, there's nothing in any of the 6 parts of that that I can see regarding folding money or organizing clothes or what not. Since I'm not seeing anything on Youtube after a quick search either any chance you remember what the extra was called?

Did you see the bit where consultant talks about his wife dressing up for him? Because I think that's about it. But the other stuff is real to general blind culture.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Holy poo poo, I just realized the old mobster Urich talks to in episode three (the one who felt indebted to Urich he didn't drag his kids through the mud when he reported on him, and was also the same guy that Urich mentioned later a possible source who could corroborate Marlene's story about young Wilson Fisk and had "moved to Florida") that was loving Silvermane.

I checked the credits and sure as poo poo, he's credited as Silvio. Silvermane's friggin' great on his own, but that also opens the door for Silver Sable and other weird poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

dj_clawson posted:

No it's real. Printed braille is disappearing because of computers, actually.
http://www.baum.de/cms/en/pronto40/

There's an SA gold thread where a blind goon answers questions about this sort of thing. He blew our minds when he told us his computer had no monitor.

Where is this? I tried digging through goldmines and couldn't find a blind ask/tell

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I just realized that a game ala Arkham City, but based on this show, might be loving awesome.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, I'm looking forward to seeing that guy's head tooling around on an RC car.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished this today after watching in about 3 sittings. Turned out great. Kingpin is somehow the most interesting character, which I would not have expected. Action scenes were great. I really like the balance they've struck with Matt's "totally not healing factor". Karen and Foggy are great, and I was so worried when they were introduced. I can't believe Wesley is gone, I really liked him as a part of Wilson's formula for success. Hopefully his death will let Vanessa move into that role, so that she gets to be a little more active. The scene of her choosing Wilson's clothes felt like they were showing the she is what makes him the Kingpin. But she didn't do much of anything for the rest of the season, so hopefully season two (anyone who thinks there won't be one is kidding themselves) will have them be an effective power couple.

I wasn't super interested in the other Marvel/Netflix shows because I never followed those characters, but after having seen this, and House of Cards (still in the first season, no spoilers please), and Orange is the New Black, I'm sure these new shows will be good television.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Snak posted:

I wasn't super interested in the other Marvel/Netflix shows because I never followed those characters, but after having seen this, and House of Cards (still in the first season, no spoilers please), and Orange is the New Black, I'm sure these new shows will be good television.

I look forward to learning that Kimmy Schimdt is also in the shared Marvel Netflix universe.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Snak posted:

The scene of her choosing Wilson's clothes felt like they were showing the she is what makes him the Kingpin. But she didn't do much of anything for the rest of the season, so hopefully season two (anyone who thinks there won't be one is kidding themselves) will have them be an effective power couple.

Well its not like she was picking out clothes for him from a store 'making him the Kingpin', those were already all items he purchased that fit with his tastes. Her picking them out, to me, seemed more like he was giving up a bit of power in his life (for a day) to her and may have been a little uncomfortable intrusion of his privacy/routine with breakfast but he ultimately enjoyed it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Snak posted:

Kingpin is somehow the most interesting character, which I would not have expected.

Yeah, I did not expect what we got. I was totally prepared for some brooding Heart of Darkness poo poo..."moral civilization is a hypocritical lie" or whatever, a philosophical antagonist like the Joker. Which would've been...adequate, I guess, particularly with the Satan-as-adversary stuff. But this was way, way better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

Well its not like she was picking out clothes for him from a store 'making him the Kingpin', those were already all items he purchased that fit with his tastes. Her picking them out, to me, seemed more like he was giving up a bit of power in his life (for a day) to her and may have been a little uncomfortable intrusion of his privacy/routine with breakfast but he ultimately enjoyed it.

yeah, but Wilson's "tastes" are that he likes expensive and fine things because he considers them proof of his success. He doesn't actually know how to dress for success. But Vanessa does. One of the things I like about this Kingpin is that he just exudes intimidation naturally. Does he try to be intimidating? Yes, but it's not that he's really skilled at intimidating people, it's that he's scary and dangerous as gently caress and can't be predicted to act in his best interests. Wilson does the things that he does because his is comfortable with them. He wears his father's cufflinks, he buys the painting that reminds him of the wall he stared at as a boy, he eats the same meal for breakfast every morning. He doesn't do these things because they make him successful, he does them because they make him feel safe in his success. Vanessa doesn't have his insecurities, so she isn't hampered by them. Vanessa, in some ways, does for Wilson what Stick did for Matt. She helps him to see past what he considers weaknesses and not let them be distractions. Unlike Stick, she doesn't have issues with commitment.

Wilson says that he's bad at meditation, but really he's just practicing a different form of meditation. While Matt reflects on his reality, his situation, how he got there, and the damage to his body, Wilson meditates on "the man he wants to be". He is a person who is very good at deciding what he wants, but very inexperienced when it comes to being good at getting it. But because of the man he is (not the one he wants to be) people have a hard time stopping him even when he makes mistakes. It's a great take on the character, and easily one of the best adaptions of a comic-book villain to the screen as an engaging character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I want a supercut of all the times someone is just standing in an alley doing nothing and daredevil runs into frame and starts beating him