Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Nah, it's reading "show all" on my watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I have an LG G Watch and it keeps resetting the brightness to 1 for some reason.

Does anybody know what can be causing this? I like it at 4.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I bought a Charge HR and REALLY liked it...except for one problem: the pedometer is way too sensitive. I spend a significant amount of my day driving in vehicles with horrible suspension, and I found that it would record the various bumps and jostles as steps - a lot of them, enough that the data became totally useless.

Anyone else experience this?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, I bought a Charge HR and REALLY liked it...except for one problem: the pedometer is way too sensitive. I spend a significant amount of my day driving in vehicles with horrible suspension, and I found that it would record the various bumps and jostles as steps - a lot of them, enough that the data became totally useless.

My Microsoft Band registered nearly 6,000 steps on a 6 hour drive last week.

I took like 100 steps from my bedroom to my car, drove, and BOOM. Looked like I ran a 5k when I arrived.

I think they all suck at this.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

If they don't go to the watch and they don't show up on the phone, that's not an Android Wear issue. As Technogeek said, you may have set your notification interruptions to "Priority" or "None" mode. On your Android Wear device if you pull down from the clockface you will see the interruption state and can tap it to change it.
Actually it sounds like this is an Android Wear issue, because the post mentions the "mute phone when paired with watch" setting.

There is a bug, either with Android Wear in general or with the Moto 360 specifically, where the watch will just randomly stop receiving notifications. They don't appear on the watch, no vibration, nothing. I get it every few days and I have no idea why. A friend of mine has the same watch/phone combo (360/N5) and has never had this happen. The only way to fix it is to reboot the watch.

If this happens and you also have the mute setting enabled, hooray, you now have no notifications on either device!

Edit: though reading again, if they don't even appear visibly on the phone then that's something else. The mute setting just stops the sound/vibration.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 16, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tunga posted:

Edit: though reading again, if they don't even appear visibly on the phone then that's something else. The mute setting just stops the sound/vibration.
Yeah this is an odd one. bairfanx is it only happening with SMS messages? Have you installed an alternate SMS app such as Hangouts or Messenger? You might try removing such an alternate app and using the stock app, or clearing app data.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yeah, especially on the lovely pothole laden roads you get in the springtime like now.

There is a "driving" activity you can log on the website that voids out steps for a given time period.

Also if you have an Android phone I believe there are a few apps on the store that use Android's automatic driving detection feature to automatically write the driving activity into your Fitbit daily log.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

bairfanx posted:

Nah, it's reading "show all" on my watch

I'd be checking on the phone itself too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

kitten smoothie posted:

Also if you have an Android phone I believe there are a few apps on the store that use Android's automatic driving detection feature to automatically write the driving activity into your Fitbit daily log.

This would be neat, but I can't seem to find any. DriveBit requires you to just manually mark when you're driving...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

This would be neat, but I can't seem to find any. DriveBit requires you to just manually mark when you're driving...

Huh, I must've been hallucinating, I thought there was one out there like that. Maybe I'll write one.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

IuniusBrutus posted:

I know you aren't the only person with this problem so something is going on. Just wanted to let potential Charge HR buyers know that I'm not having this issue and have zero complaints about mine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Do SMS messages show up on android wear when using various OEM's stock messaging apps, or does it only work with hangouts?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Do SMS messages show up on android wear when using various OEM's stock messaging apps, or does it only work with hangouts?
As long as the messaging app is providing notifications, it should work on the Wear device.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Rastor posted:

As long as the messaging app is providing notifications, it should work on the Wear device.

What about replying from the watch?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What about replying from the watch?
Personally I have a Moto X 2014 which is pretty stock, so I can't give a personal assurance, but it ought to work so long as the SMS app is registered as the SMS handler.

Android Wear is pretty simple and straightforward, which is both a weakness and a strength.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Rastor posted:

Personally I have a Moto X 2014 which is pretty stock, so I can't give a personal assurance, but it ought to work so long as the SMS app is registered as the SMS handler.

Android Wear is pretty simple and straightforward, which is both a weakness and a strength.

Yeah, I should have stopped to think about it some more. Google Now can send texts through whatever app you use for SMS as long as it's registered correctly, so I'm sure android wear can also. I think at this point, I'm just holding off for the next 360 to be announced/released.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

gohmak posted:

The silver and gold Huawei Watches looks nice. If they make it compatible with the iPhone I may get one to alternate with my Apple Watch.

Not sure how they would make it compatible since it's Android Wear. I guess they could make their own OS on it, but I think the hardware limits the options for compatibility. Your only option for a similar round watch that is cross platform is the Alcatel OneTouch and its pretty terrible at even being a watch, or so I've read. Also doesn't look really good in general.

I'm more interested in what the team up between google, intel and tag results in, but I don't think we'll see much on that until later this year.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 16, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Not sure how they would make it compatible since it's Android Wear. I guess they could make their own OS on it, but I think the hardware limits the options for compatibility. Your only option for a similar round watch that is cross platform is the Alcatel OneTouch and its pretty terrible at even being a watch, or so I've read. Also doesn't look really good in general.

I'm more interested in what the team up between google, intel and tag results in, but I don't think we'll see much on that until later this year.

Theres talks of Google bringing aw too ios

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

Not sure how they would make it compatible since it's Android Wear. I guess they could make their own OS on it, but I think the hardware limits the options for compatibility.
"Android Wear" in this case means that it runs Android, not that it can't ever connect to anything but Android.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/9/8375931/android-wear-iphone-google-apple-compatible

10Thumbs
Apr 4, 2005
Got an email the other day from Motorola UK with a voucher code for £40 off a moto 360 if anyone wants to use it.

Save £40 on a light finish Moto 360 with your choice of a black or stone leather band. Use promo code UKM360DEAL at checkout to enjoy the savings.*
How to get your discount:
1. Select your Moto 360 band preference
2. Add Moto 360 to your cart
3. Go to your cart to review your order
4. Enter UKM360DEAL below the "Checkout" button and hit "Go"
5. Complete your purchase

http://www.motorola.co.uk/consumers...uy_now_moto_360

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Thinking about getting an Apple iWatch. It looks pretty good.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Citizen Tayne posted:

Is there a joke I'm missing in you posting "good" 4 times about the Apple Watch?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's cool man.

Hey did you know there's an Apple Watch thread?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rastor posted:

That's cool man.

Hey did you know there's an Apple Watch thread?

It's the wearables thread so his thoughts about the Apple Watch are just as valid as the other posts here. Maybe we need a separate Android wearables thread too?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's the wearables thread so his thoughts about the Apple Watch are just as valid as the other posts here. Maybe we need a separate Android wearables thread too?
Thoughts about the Apple Watch are perfectly valid in the wearables thread, but "thinking about getting an Apple iWatch" / "just preordered my Apple Watch sport with green band" etc. isn't much of a thought and would probably be better suited to the Apple Watch thread.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Android wear thread, apple watch thread, and then a fitness tracker/wearables that aren't android or apple thread. And of course a Pebble thread :allears:

Or is that too much?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
As the (long ago) OP, separate threads for the main wearables categories would be great. I'm no longer interested in smart watches that aren't Android Wear. I'd second the AW, other AW, Pebble, other wearables split.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't mind talk about AW and other AW talk, but people who bought MS Bands just make me sad for them. :( And health nuts seem to have nothing in common with the rest of us. I bought a smartwatch so I could move less, not more!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Reverse Centaur posted:

I don't mind talk about AW and other AW talk, but people who bought MS Bands just make me sad for them. :( And health nuts seem to have nothing in common with the rest of us. I bought a smartwatch so I could move less, not more!

Ahem:

There's dozens of us!

(this photo was hard to take)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Citizen Tayne posted:

Agreed!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Tunga posted:

Actually it sounds like this is an Android Wear issue, because the post mentions the "mute phone when paired with watch" setting.

There is a bug, either with Android Wear in general or with the Moto 360 specifically, where the watch will just randomly stop receiving notifications. They don't appear on the watch, no vibration, nothing. I get it every few days and I have no idea why. A friend of mine has the same watch/phone combo (360/N5) and has never had this happen. The only way to fix it is to reboot the watch.

If this happens and you also have the mute setting enabled, hooray, you now have no notifications on either device!

This is it, a reset of the watch did it. For what it's worth, I've got a 360 and an HTC One.

And to keep my lock screen from being loaded if I was already checking stuff with my watch, I disabled lock screen notifications when I synced them up, but I had forgotten about this and thought it was just sending them to my watch instead. My bad for the last part, but thanks for confirming that there's just some weird bug that does this sometimes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
360 is faring better today on battery, thinking I need to run it down to properly calculate the percentage. Hit 45% around noon and then after resetting it slowly came down to 3% at 8:30 where it's just hanging. Going to try and completely drain it.

Came home from travelling and the wife saw the new watch. "Great, now there is a screen physically attached to you"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

360 is faring better today on battery, thinking I need to run it down to properly calculate the percentage. Hit 45% around noon and then after resetting it slowly came down to 3% at 8:30 where it's just hanging. Going to try and completely drain it.

Came home from travelling and the wife saw the new watch. "Great, now there is a screen physically attached to you"

Hey "Wife thinks his new 360 is stupid" Buddy :(:hf::(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone else have a Moto 360 that can't understand a goddamn word they say? Mine always ends up reading like a word salad when I try and send a text.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

My other half loves her gadgets and bought herself a Moto 360 before I did.

Len posted:

Anyone else have a Moto 360 that can't understand a goddamn word they say? Mine always ends up reading like a word salad when I try and send a text.

Yeah, it does happen. Other half sent me this spoken message: "I'm going to die today."

Freaked me out until I got a second spoken message straight after of something like: "No bad watch bad watch."

What she actually said was: "I've booked a plumber today."

Luckily there's that short count down timer to stop word salads being sent, though some are so funny I let them go and she knows what I mean.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Go nuts with your AW talk: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

I clicked this thread expecting it to talk about AW, but it actually was about AW.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

Mine has successfully understood me saying "play the unauthorized biography of reinhold messner," so I think I'm alright.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Apple Watch preorders have been so successful, they've had to push the in-store release date back nearly two months because they don't have stock to meet anticipated demand.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/16/when-can-i-buy-an-apple-watch/

Around a million units pre-ordered in the first three days of availability, supposedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Apple Watch preorders have been so successful, they've had to push the in-store release date back nearly two months because they don't have stock to meet anticipated demand.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/16/when-can-i-buy-an-apple-watch/

Around a million units pre-ordered in the first three days of availability, supposedly.

Exciting news!