Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i am intrigued by the new power management stuff in the new kde beta
https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.2.95.php
anyone here tried it?

how the gently caress is KDE looking more appealing than upgrading my lenovo to win 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
http://tools.suckless.org/ii/

Irc it (ii)
ii is a minimalist FIFO and filesystem-based IRC client. It creates an irc directory tree with server, channel and nick name directories. In every directory a FIFO in file and a normal out file is created.

The in file is used to communicate with the servers and the out files contain the server messages. For every channel and every nick name there are related in and out files created. This allows IRC communication from command line and adheres to the Unix philosophy. example

Join a channel as follows: $ echo "/j #wmii" > in and ii creates a new #wmii (channel) directory with in and out files.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

The_Franz posted:

looks like the pull request for kdbus was sent in a couple of days ago

it's pretty much going how you would expect

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:20:34AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > We're all forced to use cgroups, systemd, udev unless we want to have busybox
> > as userland. That's a fact.
>
> Is that a problem?

I'm amazed that you're really actually asking that question :-(

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
write your own userland then

nosh is the only systemd-like alternative userland that anybody has actually bothered to sit down and code, but i guess programming is hard and bitching at other people to do your programming with your preferred colour of bikeshed is easy.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

The nosh package is a suite of system-level utilities for initializing and running a BSD or Linux system, and for managing daemons.

It is originally intended for use on BSDs, and to fill the gaps where BSD users, Hurd users

wait a fuckin minute here

quote:

Hurd users

lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Gazpacho posted:

http://tools.suckless.org/ii/

Irc it (ii)
ii is a minimalist FIFO and filesystem-based IRC client. It creates an irc directory tree with server, channel and nick name directories. In every directory a FIFO in file and a normal out file is created.

The in file is used to communicate with the servers and the out files contain the server messages. For every channel and every nick name there are related in and out files created. This allows IRC communication from command line and adheres to the Unix philosophy. example

Join a channel as follows: $ echo "/j #wmii" > in and ii creates a new #wmii (channel) directory with in and out files.

Do they add to that site every april fools?

Edit:

Proud to be allistic.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 16, 2015

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
im the arch decisions based on a platform where you really need to think about if its appropriate to use the plural or singular version of user

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
re: endless, loving good job and im glad to see this poo poo start to spin up. coworkers wondering if you can put windows on it, eugh

how open is it for people to work on? is it the kind of thing the local uni students can start putting together improvements for and kick upstream or is it going to be a more locked down structure

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't understand resource misers. You paid for 2gb of ram and two cores, why not use it. Do these people buy 6,000 sq. ft. homes and live in a closet too?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

re: endless, loving good job and im glad to see this poo poo start to spin up. coworkers wondering if you can put windows on it, eugh

how open is it for people to work on? is it the kind of thing the local uni students can start putting together improvements for and kick upstream or is it going to be a more locked down structure

Currently we don't have the resources or capacity to review stuff that people send to our GitHub, and most of the apps are closed-source right now.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I don't understand resource misers. You paid for 2gb of ram and two cores, why not use it. Do these people buy 6,000 sq. ft. homes and live in a closet too?

because modern computers are barely faster than computers from the turn of the century despite being 50x more "powerful" and that's kind of wack imo

most of the speedup can be attributed to SSDs as well, put a rotating disk into modern hardware and the speedup is more or less completely erased.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
And their capabilities got better in turn. You couldn't drive 2x 1920x1200 monitors in full color with transparency, hardware acceleration, and desktop effects (previews in alt-tab). Nor could you run as many applications at the same time.

As computers get better, people expect them to do more and more and keep up with the workload. So they don't "seem" faster but they totes are, and you're just naturally doing more before they start to slow down again.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Mr Dog posted:

because modern computers are barely faster than computers from the turn of the century despite being 50x more "powerful" and that's kind of wack imo

most of the speedup can be attributed to SSDs as well, put a rotating disk into modern hardware and the speedup is more or less completely erased.

:pram:
:derp:
:hurr:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ahmeni posted:

like theres a shortage of cheap poo poo running windows out there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

And their capabilities got better in turn. You couldn't drive 2x 1920x1200 monitors in full color with transparency, hardware acceleration, and desktop effects (previews in alt-tab). Nor could you run as many applications at the same time.

i have a unix workstation from circa 2001 that has no problem with this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have a unix workstation from circa 2001 that has no problem with this

how much did it cost in today's dollars?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

how much did it cost in today's dollars?

a decent 6.5 figgies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
capabilities haven't changed that much but prices have changed a lot

this is true for a lot of communications technology. the telegraph was as revolutionary as the internet, in its day. but sending messages over the internet is like 1/1,000,000th as expensive as telegraph messages were

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Mr Dog posted:

I'm not capably of mocking this the way it deserves to be mocked. Personally I'm a fan of having my software do as much as it can for me. I can always buy a faster computer, but I will never be able to buy more time.

Wasting my time by re-solving an adequately solved problem when I don't have an academic interest is stupid.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is true for a lot of communications technology. the telegraph was as revolutionary as the internet, in its day. but sending messages over the internet is like 1/1,000,000th as expensive as telegraph messages were

How large is this workstation and how fast does your electric meter spin when its in use?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can hold either capability or price constant, if the capabilities really haven't changed. I think they have -- driving 4K video at 60Hz wasn't feasible even on the Origins. Wireless networking, the speed of storage (I'd have loving killed a man for today's $200 SSD+SATA2 setup when I was squeezing perf out of 10K fiberchannel arrays), resolution of displays. You can carry a system that's more powerful than a SPARCStation 20 out of the Apple Store between 2 fingers, and it has a better display than the 20 could drive and a responsive touch interface.

quote:

"sending instantly across the world" is a pretty important capability.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32329525

"""
But Carolina Milanese, chief analyst at Kantor Worldpanel ComTech says Endless faces an uphill challenge, especially given its $169 starting price.

"I struggle to understand why Endless is picking users who are not at the bottom of the economic bellcurve", she told the BBC.
"""

maybe because the middle of the bellcurve, is, by definition, the widest part? the market where most people are? lmao if an analyst cant figure that one out

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

looks like the pull request for kdbus was sent in a couple of days ago

it's pretty much going how you would expect

"omg this is complicated and scary make something simpler!"

hey, you had your chance to just use Mach. you insisted on reinventing it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tanenbaum was right :byodood:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

the real problem is all the inefficient code that's everywhere these days. people are just too lazy to optimise properly and will insist on using hilariously inefficient languages for everything. the end result is that the average program could run much, much faster if it was designed properly and written carefully in a low-level language, but actually runs like molasses because the idiots chose to half-rear end it in c++, in this popular opinion from the 1990s

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
except for the part where your computer is doing things your 80s/90s computer just literally could not do.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

you can hold either capability or price constant, if the capabilities really haven't changed. I think they have -- driving 4K video at 60Hz wasn't feasible even on the Origins.

you could purchase a configuration for exactly this. it was called the onyx. an origin stuffed full of graphics boards

back then the only uses for 4k video were arena-size projectors and dumb vr room poo poo. cost-prohibitive

Subjunctive posted:

Wireless networking, the speed of storage (I'd have loving killed a man for today's $200 SSD+SATA2 setup when I was squeezing perf out of 10K fiberchannel arrays), resolution of displays. You can carry a system that's more powerful than a SPARCStation 20 out of the Apple Store between 2 fingers, and it has a better display than the 20 could drive and a responsive touch interface.

yeah SSDs have changed the game considerably

i do not miss working with paired RAID0 SCSI arrays to try and get reasonable random write perf

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 16, 2015

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
remember when alpha transparency and smooth rotations in games was the hottest poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How large is this workstation and how fast does your electric meter spin when its in use?

about the size of a desktop pc

i want to say it's 750 watts

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

remember when alpha transparency and smooth rotations in games was the hottest poo poo

curved geometry was the poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

except for the part where your computer is doing things your 80s/90s computer just literally could not do.

a 15 year old computer does everything my current one does, it just cost a lot more to get it done

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
running firefox instead of netscape and sublime text instead of emacs isn't "progress"

it's barely even change

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
did your computer run two 1920x1200 monitors in true 24-bit color?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Dual head 2048x1536 baby.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you could purchase a configuration for exactly this. it was called the onyx. an origin stuffed full of graphics boards

InfiniteReality was indeed insane (like 200GB of video RAM?), but I didn't think it had a display connection with a high enough data rate to drive 4K@60, even if it could render a scene that fast. (Parallel video decode is rare, so likely only one of those cards mattered perf-wise, in the unlikely event that it could accelerate H.264 or equivalent anyway.) I can't find a reference though.

does your 2001 workstation drive 4K@60?

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Suspicious Dish posted:

i know nobody burns cd/dvds anymore, but burning in the mid-late '90s was a pain in the rear end, even with a scsi burner you couldn't do anything else while it was burning.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
more importantly: is that numberwang?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dolomite posted:

i know nobody burns cd/dvds anymore, but burning in the mid-late '90s was a pain in the rear end, even with a scsi burner you couldn't do anything else while it was burning.

i forget who but a desktop manufacturer had a (then) amazing demo about how you could play two videos simultaneously on a machine that didn't cost $5,000

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dolomite posted:

don't forget to disable the screensaver, hang-up the modem and unplug the network cable (which you probably didn't have in 1995). tiptoe out of the room just to be safe.

*comes back 10 minutes later*

ok, let's see how it doing...

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The_Franz posted:

don't forget to disable the screensaver, hang-up the modem and unplug the network cable (which you probably didn't have in 1995). tiptoe out of the room just to be safe.

*comes back 10 minutes later*

ok, let's see how it doing...

gently caress

that poo poo didn't get any better until early-mid 00's and I don't remember why