Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Deadpool posted:

I thought the intro titles were red wax, like the candles in a Catholic church, not blood. Fits more with the theme of the show. Plus it didn't look like blood at all.

Same here. I also saw it as a metaphor the way Matt sees, like someone else posted.

That's one thing I think the show could do better; actually showing how Matt experiences the world and not just when it's convenient to the story. Most of the time he doesn't even really come off as blind and his heightened senses are mostly just shown as him being able to eavesdrop and occasionally smell things.

DarkCrawler posted:

I liked the show but hated the Kingpin. He was a cold cartoon villain at one second and then a raging retard the other. What is this "I want to make the city a better place" crap? Why do I need to walk through half a dozen mega-awkward love speeches? Why does the character keep whining all the time?

Did you miss the flashback scenes with his family, especially his father? I think it pretty clearly showed why Wilson is the way he is. I love the portrayal of Kingpin in this series and can't get why some people don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Deadpool posted:

I thought the intro titles were red wax, like the candles in a Catholic church, not blood. Fits more with the theme of the show. Plus it didn't look like blood at all.

Also I think the suit looks great.

It's definitely candle wax, you can get a good look at it dripping when they zoom in on the watertower.

The suit looks great but I worry it might have the superhero suit problem of restricting the actor's movement too much. It looked like it might have the stiff neck problem you hear about Batman suits getting. It's hard to tell from the 5 minutes we get to see it in action.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Maduo posted:

It's definitely candle wax, you can get a good look at it dripping when they zoom in on the watertower.

The suit looks great but I worry it might have the superhero suit problem of restricting the actor's movement too much. It looked like it might have the stiff neck problem you hear about Batman suits getting. It's hard to tell from the 5 minutes we get to see it in action.

Nah, it really seemed like there's a whole lot of elastic cloth around the neck. I think he can movie fine with it. It's just bulk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only thing I don't really like about it is the black face plate. I recognize that you can't just stick dudes in spandex no matter how cut they are. What looks good on the page doesn't necessarily look good in real life.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The red suit looked awful, I thought. I pretty much immediately thought of

I think it's the way it sits around his neck, mainly, that makes it suck. Charlie cox has quite slight features, but the suit makes his cheeks look kind of fat maybe?

And Wilson was great. His cartoon villainy and his almost nobler moments weren't inconsistent, he was a sociopath who deluded himself into thinking the reason he he was doing these terrible things was justified and that he was the hero of his story, cries some crocodile tears because a good guy would totally feel bad about this then forgets about his victims immediately. He acknowledges he is full of poo poo towards the end though and I quite liked that. Note that he's tearing down the lovely place he grew up. His real reasons for what he does are pretty clear, I thought, even if he never specifically acknowledges it.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 16, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the suit looked great in motion, but static it's a little awkward.

And jesus, the people saying 'make it not red and lose the horns' would fuckin' love it if they'd ditched the ears and cape in The Dark Knight, then? Just had Christian Bale in hockey pads and a balaclava?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Gaz-L posted:

And jesus, the people saying 'make it not red and lose the horns' would fuckin' love it if they'd ditched the ears and cape in The Dark Knight, then? Just had Christian Bale in hockey pads and a balaclava?

I like DDs comic suit, I liked the black suit, but I think they missed something here. I actually preferred Afflecks suit over what we have here. I really hope they can rework it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is neat:

Source
The original

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like the suit, I like that it looks weird and off, but I never felt like it cross the line into looking bad.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

I think the suit looked great in motion, but static it's a little awkward.

Depends on how it looks, but I'm open to the idea. Why not? Batman isn't defined by his suit and neither is Daredevil. It's iconic and a fairly big part of it sure, but not essential to me and I'm curious to see what could be done with the characters if creators didn't feel beholden to include every single element every single time. Change is good after all, and frankly comics could do with a bit more change being encouraged. Or do you think Daredevil should still be running around in a yellow body stocking with a red leotard over it? If that change was okay because people felt it didn't work in the medium, why is another not if some people feel the comic design doesn't carry over that well?

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 16, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, please change thread title to Netflix Marvel: Daredevil, Avocado At Law

EDIT:^^^ Then yeah, you don't want a comic book show. Which is fine, but you should probably not watch one and torture yourself with how much more you'd enjoy it if it wasn't what it is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

teagone posted:

It's implied that the cop at the end saw Murdock doing crazy parkour poo poo up a scaffolding after subduing Fisk while asking what he should call him. It then cuts to the media coining the name Daredevil. I thought it was pretty clear why he was given a superhero name. The press/media coined the name Iron Man too.

Plus some army functionary chose "Captain America", "Hawkeye" and "Black Widow" are SHIELD codenames, "Thor" is Thor's real name. All the Guardians of the Galaxy but Quill just go by their real names. Honestly the only MCU character to definitely pick his own superhero name is Star Lord...and he gets consistently mocked for it until the very end of the film!

(The Hulk is in a weird place since he's already "The Hulk" when he appears in The Incredible Hulk, and no one's sure if Ang Lee's Hulk actually happened or not. And according to the trailer, Ant-Man doesn't pick his own codename either.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have never seen a name origin story that made any kind of organic sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Widow is the name of the Soviet program she went through, and its graduates.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

EDIT:^^^ Then yeah, you don't want a comic book show. Which is fine, but you should probably not watch one and torture yourself with how much more you'd enjoy it if it wasn't what it is.

Oh gently caress off. I enjoy comic book shows just fine, this one included. Flash is great tv most of the time, I enjoyed the first two seasons of Arrow. Just because I have different criteria than you doesn't mean I suddenly magically don't enjoy them. Him wearing a suit I don't like isn't going to kill my enjoyment of the show, just like him wearing one I do like isn't going to guarantee my enjoyment of it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I liked the knots Whedon tied himself into to try and make 'Avengers' make sense. Considering in Avengers #1 it's literally because Wasp thinks it sounds cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I liked the knots Whedon tied himself into to try and make 'Avengers' make sense. Considering in Avengers #1 it's literally because Wasp thinks it sounds cool.

X-men are by far the worst about this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Also I think the suit looks great.

Yeah, it's wax. It's really obvious on the shots with bridge where it dries exactly like a melted candle.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

tsob posted:

Depends on how it looks, but I'm open to the idea. Why not? Batman isn't defined by his suit and neither is Daredevil. It's iconic and a fairly big part of it sure, but not essential to me and I'm curious to see what could be done with the characters if creators didn't feel beholden to include every single element every single time. Change is good after all, and frankly comics could do with a bit more change being encouraged. Or do you think Daredevil should still be running around in a yellow body stocking with a red leotard over it? If that change was okay because people felt it didn't work in the medium, why is another not if some people feel the comic design doesn't carry over that well?

They've kind of done that already sometimes. The X films rework loads of people heavily, to the point of making jokes about it in wolverines case. I guarantee we won't see powerman in his classic getup either.

Out of interest, where are the Blade rights these days?

Gaz-L posted:

I... Don't think thats very reasonable. Look at loving Smallville. For however terrible a show it was no less a superhero show that flash or arrow are and Clarks suit didn't show up basically at all. Also, Batmans Iconograph is far more engrained in the character than DDs is, if they kept DD in the black suit it's not going to hurt who he is. Matt isn't scrawling devil horns and wings on everything he touches.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 16, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

zoux posted:

X-men are by far the worst about this.

We all know Xavier is lying about not naming the team after himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mr.capps posted:

We all know Xavier is lying about not naming the team after himself.

Whoa! Codenames in the field!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I liked how they humanized Kingpin at first, but it went too far. At a certain point he stopped being scary and just kinda seemed like a big wimp to me. Especially the way he waddled away from Daredevil before the fight in the last episode like a little bitch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ShineDog posted:

I... Don't think thats very reasonable. Look at loving Smallville. For however terrible a show it was no less a superhero show that flash or arrow are and Clarks suit didn't show up basically at all. Also, Batmans Iconograph is far more engrained in the character than DDs is, if they kept DD in the black suit it's not going to hurt who he is. Matt isn't scrawling devil horns and wings on everything he touches.

That was a combination of Welling's neuroses, and the producers for the first 7-8 years being terrified of the source material's 'silly' parts.

And I very much disagree that the contrast of the Catholic lawyer and the vigilante in devil horns isn't as iconic as the bat. One of the most enduring images from the comics and the Affleck film is Daredevil draped over a cross. Doesn't work as well if he's a dude in a black bandana.

Plus, the entire point of the subplot with the priest is to justify the look of the suit, in the same way that him being cut to poo poo constantly justifies the armour.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Gaz-L posted:

And I very much disagree that the contrast of the Catholic lawyer and the vigilante in devil horns isn't as iconic as the bat. One of the most enduring images from the comics and the Affleck film is Daredevil draped over a cross. Doesn't work as well if he's a dude in a black bandana.

Plus, the entire point of the subplot with the priest is to justify the look of the suit, in the same way that him being cut to poo poo constantly justifies the armour.

Sure, the catholic angles works, it absolutely does. But you would still have a valid take on the character without it. The guy you were arguing wasn't saying NEVER USE THINGS FROM THE COMICS he was saying if they have a take that works then go for it, and I agree.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

That was a combination of Welling's neuroses, and the producers for the first 7-8 years being terrified of the source material's 'silly' parts.

The entire point of the subplot is to justify Matt's vigilante actions, suit included, not to justify the suit specifically and you're deluded if you think that's true. And while the image of him draped over a cross works best if he's in a devil suit, it doesn't really matter if the image never shows up. Why can't the show be free to define it's own iconic moments or aspects instead of having to ape the comics' ones, even if only in spirit? Even if you team wanted to include that image, then whoever sticks him on the cross can add some horns and/or red paint for extra humiliation based on his nickname. Job done.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 16, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel has the Blade rights.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Unmature posted:

I liked how they humanized Kingpin at first, but it went too far. At a certain point he stopped being scary and just kinda seemed like a big wimp to me. Especially the way he waddled away from Daredevil before the fight in the last episode like a little bitch.

Every person I heard this opinion from I end up laughing because I hear it in the voice of Fisk's father.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel has the Blade rights.

I hope they can get Sticky Fingaz back.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
When you consider that most heroes (male and female) are basically drawn naked and then coloured in it's something of a relief that they don't take too much inspiration from the comics.

Although that'll be a drat shame when the Ms Marvel film comes out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Actually, what codename is she going by now, given that there's a teenager running around as Ms. Marvel last I heard? And doing well critically and commercially from what I gather. Will they make her Ms. Marvel again around that time I wonder, call the movie Binary or whatever, or just not care about the difference in name? I hope that film goes well, I liked the run she had a few years back when I was still buying comics and think she's a fun character in general, though I wish she was used more for cosmic stuff.

In thinking about it, I don't know that there's really all that much that's iconic about her character either, since her outfit has changed fairly radically over the years, as has her name, as has her place within the comics universe, both physically and socially. I guess it'll be about an air force pilot who gets superpowers from an alien army of some kind, but beyond that they could make her terrestrial or cosmic, have her be the strongest character in the MCU or generic strong woman below Thor's level, a militant feminist or a more archetypal military woman etc. and it'd all be true to the character's history. That's pretty cool to think about as I writer I would imagine, since it gives you a lot of freedom to make the character your own.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Marvel.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

Did you miss the flashback scenes with his family, especially his father? I think it pretty clearly showed why Wilson is the way he is. I love the portrayal of Kingpin in this series and can't get why some people don't

I get why he is what he is, but what he is lame. "HURR...you ruined everything...I KILL YOU! RARRGH!" It's absurd.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The movie was already announced as Captain Marvel.

DarkCrawler posted:

I get why he is what he is, but what he is lame. "HURR...you ruined everything...I KILL YOU! RARRGH!" It's absurd.

See, I found that refreshing.

When Fisk kills the Russian brother, he doesn't say it's about violating the privacy rule. Nothing about ruining his plans or whatever. He's killing him because he ruined his date. He's straightforward with that when he Hulks Out on him.

It's the same with Wesley. When he beats the guy it's about nothing more than Wesley was his friend.

He's emotional. That's different in a villain.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 16, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DarkCrawler posted:

mr.capps posted:

Every person I hear this opinion from I end up laughing because I hear it in the voice of Fisk's father.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

tsob posted:

... Batman isn't defined by his suit? Are you on drugs?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Abner Assington posted:

No, I'm just pretty sure his origin story regarding shot parents and obsession, his true personality being Batman while Bruce Wayne is a front, his obsession with training, solving crime and catching bad guys dominating his life to the exclusion of a real personal life, fun or family until it's forced on him, his rogues gallery, Gotham, Arkham etc are all pretty important aspects of the character too. Even the Brave and the Bold, the most fun take on the character in about 50 years at this point kept every part of that.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

^^^ dressing up as a bat is in there somewhere chief, can't just say nah that's not a thing ^^^

Matt's first costume wasn't yellow, show ruined, 2/10.

Matt's wearing a costume, show ruined -1/10.

etc etc

Abner Assington posted:

That too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fuckin' every topic even tangentially related to comics ends up in a huge argument about Batman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Fisk was fantastic because he wasn't the Kingpin. Not yet. The show was as much his origin story as Daredevil's. Moreso. And they were fantastic origin stories because they didn't concern themselves with the practical details of their origins as much as the emotional and psychological ones. I mean, yeah, we get a scene with li'l Matty getting blinded, training with Stick, wee Willy killing his dad, etc. but those aren't portrayed as singular defining moments as much as paving stones on the road to who they will become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

Spider-Man? Batman? Iron Man? RoboCop? Captain America? I think they make sense.

DarkCrawler posted:

OK, but I don't see him that way. I see an insecure giant trying to mask the fear and insecurity he feels brought about by his father and his sadistic upbringing. The parts where he rages out and loses his poo poo echoed his father beating his mother and his father ordering him to "kick him again" when they hunted down the guy who called him a loser.

It makes perfect sense to me so far (9 episodes in). I'm actually refreshed to see the Kingpin played as a conflicted, somewhat insecure person who always appears to be battling his emotions. Deep down, he still sees himself as a a frightened child covered in blood, at least until he meets Vanessa. I think D'ONofrio gives a wonderfully nuanced performance in this series. All of the actors do.

Abner Assington posted:

edit: beaten

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 16, 2015