Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Michael Jackson posted:

please buy an 290x. it feels like i am the only one who bought it :(

This dude bought four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why did a bunch of Strixes just appear in open box for newegg
Idiots freaking out over the 4Gb thingy, I'd guess?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

He gonna be really mad when Star Citizen never actually comes out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Beautiful Ninja posted:

He gonna be really mad when Star Citizen never actually comes out.
I guess at least he's playing Elite?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

cisco privilege posted:

Lol if you didn't buy a custom-cooled 3-year warranty 290 for like $180-$200 when you had the chance.

Stop making me hate myself.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Inzombiac posted:

Looks like Amazon isn't doing the Witcher combo but almost every other retailer is. Went through Newegg for
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127850
Usually don't go for the dumb limited edition colors but it was the same price as a standard model and has the features I want so whatever.

And a new MOBO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132132

and get to take my "old" CPU and RAM with me into the new build, which is nice. Even with paying for 2-day shipping, I'm saving around $50 over Amazon.

They are on some cards atleast

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Super-Clocked-Graphics/dp/B00NVODXR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429211284&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx970

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I swear I looked at that exact model and it wasn't available 4 hours ago.
Then again, I'm really stupid.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I bought a reference 290 for 200 a year ago and besides the jet engine I enjoy it

Kind of want a quieter card though

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
That is the drawback for sure

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chalets the Baka posted:

Just in case anyone is interested, this MSI 4GD5T GTX 970 is $309.99 after mail-in rebate and you get a voucher for the Witcher 3. It's the same one I just ordered yesterday.

I just got $30 in amazon cards from this promotion from my power company, so I jumped on this. Upgrading from an old AMD HD5830 that I bought when I was cash-strapped, so it should be a great upgrade.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Glass of Milk posted:

I just got $30 in amazon cards from this promotion from my power company, so I jumped on this. Upgrading from an old AMD HD5830 that I bought when I was cash-strapped, so it should be a great upgrade.
This will be you IRL: :tviv:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I currently have this card - EVGA GTX 760 SC DX12

I think I found the cheapest way to improve performance. After the promo code, it's 147$, and I've got an EVGA 750W G2 to support the configuration.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FaustianQ posted:

I currently have this card - EVGA GTX 760 SC DX12

I think I found the cheapest way to improve performance. After the promo code, it's 147$, and I've got an EVGA 750W G2 to support the configuration.

You'd be better off selling the 760 and buying a 970. You get extra VRAM (increasingly relevant, since some newer games will need more than 2gb) about the same max performance (and that's assuming SLi works optimally in every game you want to play, which it often doesn't) and you don't have to worry about SLI drama.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Its not the worst idea for $150 but I agree in this case to sell and 970 it up

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

You'd be better off selling the 760 and buying a 970. You get extra VRAM (increasingly relevant, since some newer games will need more than 2gb) about the same max performance (and that's assuming SLi works optimally in every game you want to play, which it often doesn't) and you don't have to worry about SLI drama.

I'm kinda waiting on the 300 series to be released before buying new gen. Plus, I have a toxx on whether the 390 is any good, this'd end up being a lot cheaper than 350+500.

I'll guess I'll just stick with a single card for another couple of months, there is always Ebay at some point. Next build is going to be ITX because apparently crossfire and SLI are never worth it, death to ATX.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't understand the appeal of SLI as far as price is concerned. The performance increase is never double but you're paying double and introducing a host of headaches.
Unless you are professionally doing CG or something, it's just nerds wasting money to see bigger numbers.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

I don't understand the appeal of SLI as far as price is concerned. The performance increase is never double but you're paying double and introducing a host of headaches.
Unless you are professionally doing CG or something, it's just nerds wasting money to see bigger numbers.

Sounds like you do understand the appeal.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Inzombiac posted:

There's been some time in history when SLI made sense, particularly SLI 8800GT. Most of the time you're better off buying a single bigger card.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Inzombiac posted:

It makes sense if you're a crazy person that has a stupid amount of disposable income and you want something stronger than the current flagship

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Inzombiac posted:

At the highest end SLI is the only way to get reasonable performance. Where "The highest end" is ultra high resolutions and/or surround setups. It's never really been worth it based on price, outside of a few rare cases where the planets happen to align and you get a good deal.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Not really, previously you could get a setup worth more than what a single card could do for you with SLI (within the same generation). For example, 2x $250 760's could outperform (ideally) a 780ti which cost over $700 at the same time. 2x 770's could outperform any single card available at the time for $660.

The real problem was that these benefits were only realized if you played games that supported SLI, or if the only games that you played that didn't support SLI didn't really require a lot of GPU anyways. Frankly that case fits a lot of people, but not everybody. The downsides to me were heat and power more than anything. There were some other quirks I noticed, although minor, that a single card was just better at as well but thats been explained a lot.

This generation is likely to be a little different, although 970 SLI does kick rear end simply because the 970 kicks rear end (when it applies above), the performance gap between that at the 980ti and 970 SLI (just assuming it will perform and be priced *roughly* around here) will probably be small enough to make SLI too unappealing.

I think the downsides of SLI are overstated for a variety of reasons. However single cards are simply better in virtually every way. If a single card is an option to be at a performance level you want to be at at a financial point you're willing to pay, always go for it.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 17, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Hace posted:

It makes sense if you're a crazy person that has a stupid amount of disposable income and you want something stronger than the current flagship

Hi, let me tell you about triple 1440 monitors and 4k resolutions.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
what a baller

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
posting again because I'm actually emasculated by only having one 1440p g-sync monitor and sli 970s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think SLI for the 970 might actually make sense. You could buy one 980 or you can buy a 970 now and get another one later. I might actually do it once nvidia's one GPU per eye stereo rift/vive thing happens. Looks really interesting. The only time I ever did SLI was when I let my ex-brother in law convince me that two 7600s would be better than one 7800. That was dumb and I replaced them both with an 8800GTX with some crazy aftermarket cooler and overclocked the hell out of it. Going from two mediocre cards to the best card on the market was amazing. Wish I could afford to do it again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Hi, let me tell you about triple 1440 monitors and 4k resolutions.

Hi I can tell you about it too!

Get a single 21:9 3440x1440 monitor for games, it works better than a triple 1440 setup from an enjoyment point of view (more support, no bezels, easier to run while still being way beyond the FOV you'd get from a standard ratio monitor) and you don't have to do anything weird, it just works. It's also a good res to just use so productivity is up and you don't have to strain or do UI scaling either.
After rolling with 780tis in SLI and a triple 1440 setup I don't recommend it for gaming. Setups like these are going to die soonish anyway, VR completely stomps their whole angle in games. Maybe with the consumer VR launches and NVIDIA's SLI VR thing they talk about SLI can have a place again, but man, totally not worth it. For productivity though triple monitor setups own.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

Hi I can tell you about it too!

Get a single 21:9 3440x1440 monitor for games, it works better than a triple 1440 setup from an enjoyment point of view (more support, no bezels, easier to run while still being way beyond the FOV you'd get from a standard ratio monitor) and you don't have to do anything weird, it just works. It's also a good res to just use so productivity is up and you don't have to strain or do UI scaling either.
After rolling with 780tis in SLI and a triple 1440 setup I don't recommend it for gaming. Setups like these are going to die soonish anyway, VR completely stomps their whole angle in games. Maybe with the consumer VR launches and NVIDIA's SLI VR thing they talk about SLI can have a place again, but man, totally not worth it. For productivity though triple monitor setups own.

Ya, I managed to snag a third 24" for my work setup. I have an ancient 30" HP that my boss didn't want when he replaced the previous one. It's super nice to have email open in one window, the ticketing software in the other and whatever I'm working on in the middle. I wanted to like the 21:9 monitors, but I've had triple screens going back to when the 5870 launched so I'm used to it. I'm not planning on upgrading until curved monitors come out with a resolution of at least 4k. The bezels don't bother me, mostly because I've had the setup for so long that I'm used to it.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I own a 670, I think it's a Galaxy branded card. While a 970 is a tempting upgrade, I'm hoping I can wait until the next series of cards come out before I build a new computer. I've never overclocked a GPU, but I'm wondering if some aftermarket cooling and some overclocking would be a nice step up for the next year. Any advice?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Overclocking the card like with afterburner might help performance, but I wouldn't spend anything on aftermarket cooling for it since any kit is going to be around $60 and up minimum and you'd be better off saving it for a newer card. If you already had a universal cooler like a recent Accelero it'd be worth swapping in, but not if you had to buy one.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

cisco privilege posted:

Overclocking the card like with afterburner might help performance, but I wouldn't spend anything on aftermarket cooling for it since any kit is going to be around $60 and up minimum and you'd be better off saving it for a newer card. If you already had a universal cooler like a recent Accelero it'd be worth swapping in, but not if you had to buy one.

If it's possible to put it in numbers, how much more performance could I get from overclocking? I don't mind throwing a few bucks at it now if it will hold me over to the next generation

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Drunk Badger posted:

If it's possible to put it in numbers, how much more performance could I get from overclocking? I don't mind throwing a few bucks at it now if it will hold me over to the next generation

Best thing to do is get some thermal paste, repaste it, overclock with afterburner. Aftermarket cooling and stuff isn't going to help in any practical way in the way you want. You can flash your bios to increase voltage further and get like another few percent out of it but thats about it.

I'd recommend repasting and overclocking. Think about 10% more from this.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

FaustianQ posted:

I'm kinda waiting on the 300 series to be released before buying new gen. Plus, I have a toxx on whether the 390 is any good, this'd end up being a lot cheaper than 350+500.

I'll guess I'll just stick with a single card for another couple of months, there is always Ebay at some point. Next build is going to be ITX because apparently crossfire and SLI are never worth it, death to ATX.

So you're waiting until probably Aug-Nov. Su (The CEO) already said the 3xx series is going to be 2H. In business speak we all know that means Q4 but it's possible they'll get it out late Q3. Good luck in your wait.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx970dcmoc4gd5
That's the card for an ITX gaming machine, good luck waiting for something similar from AMD.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume that has less power than a normal 970?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I assume that has less power than a normal 970?

Looks like it might have less overclocking capabilities, but other than that it is a normal GTX 970. It only has a 8-pin PCI-E connector.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's a normal 970, the only limit is just going to be staying under the thermal cap with a smaller heatsink. So maybe not as much OCing.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Darkpriest667 posted:

So you're waiting until probably Aug-Nov. Su (The CEO) already said the 3xx series is going to be 2H. In business speak we all know that means Q4 but it's possible they'll get it out late Q3. Good luck in your wait.

Rumor is they're going to debut at Computex which is June 2 - 6. I don't know what the delay from debut to actual sales will be but I would guess that it'll be june or july.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Just get something like a CoolerMaster Elite 130 and be able to use a normal video card. I had a EVGA 680GTX Classified crammed in mine, no problem. It was pretty lol

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gwaihir posted:

It's a normal 970, the only limit is just going to be staying under the thermal cap with a smaller heatsink. So maybe not as much OCing.

There are plenty of itx cases that let you use a full size gpu, including super tiny stuff like the Silverstone rvz01. No reason to compromise with an itx edition 970.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Best thing to do is get some thermal paste, repaste it, overclock with afterburner. Aftermarket cooling and stuff isn't going to help in any practical way in the way you want. You can flash your bios to increase voltage further and get like another few percent out of it but thats about it.

I'd recommend repasting and overclocking. Think about 10% more from this.

Yeah, I may have to look into that. Just ran the Valley benchmark, and even with the fan at max (80% in afterburner) the card hits 90C. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a ton of dust in it, but I'm thinking I'll just go for a 970. Did 970s ever go on sale since their release, or should I just get one now if I want one?