Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hey pregnancy thread!

My wife is just entering her third trimester and I'm trying to put together a surprise for her. That's where I'm a bit lost.

So far I've booked her a prenatal massage but I also want to get her a little basket of nice things she may not have thought to get yet.

Any suggestions? Leaving this open. So far I've got movie tickets, a robe, and the massage. What else could be nice to come home to and be surprised with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
A pedicure.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Our son has the same issue and it really does hurt our hearts. We tried probiotics and that helped a little bit but what really helped was trying block feeding to control my wife's over supply issues. Our baby was a preemie so she had to pump and ad a result produced way too much milk. Within a day of trying block feeding, our son no longer writhes in pain when we put him down. It's only been 48 hours but we're hopeful.
http://www.mother-2-mother.com/blockfeeding.htm
Thus website does seem to caution you in case you really interfere with your supply.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Walked posted:

Hey pregnancy thread!

My wife is just entering her third trimester and I'm trying to put together a surprise for her. That's where I'm a bit lost.

So far I've booked her a prenatal massage but I also want to get her a little basket of nice things she may not have thought to get yet.

Any suggestions? Leaving this open. So far I've got movie tickets, a robe, and the massage. What else could be nice to come home to and be surprised with?

A clean house.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Funhilde posted:

A clean house.

Heh, this is so true. I'm at 37 weeks now and my husband suggested a spa weekend for me to relax. Nope, I'm full of energy and all I want to do is clean the house.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cool. I've already been cleaning all morning. So clean house, massage, new robe, and a movie all on the agenda!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks for the advice and info everybody. This is all very exciting. I think I'm going to reschedule our weekend getaway for another time since it probably wouldn't be cost effective or fun to spend the whole time puking!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

pwnyXpress posted:

Thanks for the advice and info everybody. This is all very exciting. I think I'm going to reschedule our weekend getaway for another time since it probably wouldn't be cost effective or fun to spend the whole time puking!

Yeah. We went to mexico in the 2nd trimester and I had a great time. It would have been miserable in the 1rst.

We have hit 6 weeks as well with our babby. She is doing great. We do seem to be having some reflux issues but nothing severe. Now we have to figure out how to entertain her more as she is gaining more awareness every day. It is pretty amazing.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Walked posted:

What else could be nice to come home to and be surprised with?

A delicious mocktail. A lot of people tend to get stuck on boring soda or just water when they can't have booze, which just makes you feel like you're missing out, but there are so many awesome drinks you can make!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I bitched about my bf once in this thread. I feel bad about that, as in the last few weeks he has really stepped up to the plate.

I'm being induced monday. I've been unable to walk unassisted much of the time since Tuesday, with pelvic pain/instability. Yesterday sucked most of all - I'm in constant pain, can't sleep or get comfortable, and one of my pets died yesterday to top it all off.

Bf has been helping me dress, get up and down, walk to the bathroom, and is cooking meals. After putting in long hours to build up more leave, yesterday he stayed home from work to take care of me. Had to take me to the vet appointment, after doing all the laundry and setting up the baby seat in the (borrowed)car.

In the evening he went out to get me fake wine and KFC, and spent forever setting up the birthing pool(which I won't get to use for its intended purpose, but at least it got some use) for me just so I could have a warm bath somewhere other than my tiny tub I can no longer fit into.

This is after someone rear ended his car last week(it was a write-off too, great timing!), and he spent a few days feeling like crap himself. Now he has to help me step in and out of pants ffs.

I hate feeling like an invalid, but it's nice to have someone to look after me :) I have to think of something nice to do for him once all this is over. Suggestions welcome!

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 10, 2015

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Charmmi posted:

Tell me about silent reflux? I'm starting to think that's the reason my six week old wakes up gasping for breath and crying and trying to go back to sleep at the same time. I know most babies have some form of reflux and her case is probably pretty minor since she is gaining weight well and has normal pee/poops. She just seems so uncomfortable and it hurts my heart. We just had the worst night since she was born. She spent maybe 2 hours total sleeping flat, the rest of the time she was being held or worn upright. I'm starting to second guess her cues, what if I feed her and it makes her feel worse? If this is something we have to grit our teeth and wait through until her body figures it out, I'd appreciate some encouragement. If there's some trick or maneuver that helped you make your babies more comfortable, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

We found a Fisher Price Rock n Play to be invaluable for our reflux babies. Technically, they're not "supposed" to sleep overnight in it, but it worked amazingly well for us.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

skeetied posted:

We found a Fisher Price Rock n Play to be invaluable for our reflux babies. Technically, they're not "supposed" to sleep overnight in it, but it worked amazingly well for us.

Uh yeah our baby slept in ours for like the first four months. That thing was amazing.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
edit:double posted :(

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 13, 2015

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

skeetied posted:

We found a Fisher Price Rock n Play to be invaluable for our reflux babies.

The angle is perfect + I suggest buying the deluxe which will rock automatically for an extra $10 or $20 too, well worth it. Our baby has minor gas which always picks up around 4am with grunting in her sleep and this still settles her during daytime sleep.

Charmmi posted:

Tell me about silent reflux? I'm starting to think that's the reason my six week old wakes up gasping for breath and crying and trying to go back to sleep at the same time. I know most babies have some form of reflux and her case is probably pretty minor since she is gaining weight well and has normal pee/poops. She just seems so uncomfortable and it hurts my heart. We just had the worst night since she was born. She spent maybe 2 hours total sleeping flat, the rest of the time she was being held or worn upright. I'm starting to second guess her cues, what if I feed her and it makes her feel worse? If this is something we have to grit our teeth and wait through until her body figures it out, I'd appreciate some encouragement. If there's some trick or maneuver that helped you make your babies more comfortable, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

FYI - for babies with gas/colic/reflux it's suggested to hold them upright and/or head elevated after feeding for up to 30mins. I find our baby is much, much happier this way even after they start to relax + don't be afraid to feed if they *are* crying in the middle of the night because that extra milk can soothe the strong stomach acid and/or just put her back to sleep altogether. Doing the upright for 30 mins/not in the middle of the night is your call and easily situational, though.

Every baby is different. Mine hates having her feet covered by anything, not even the super lightweight baby blanket. She'll take her socks off and happily shove her cold feet under mom's arm/stomach too. If she wakes in the middle of the night my wife typically will: while cradling her, bounce on an exercise ball if crying hardcore or: try to nurse her back to sleep, or: walk around and rock her. In the mornings and/or sometimes before sleep I do "gassy time" with the baby, which consists of singing to her + doing baby bicycles, tummy massages, help her on her back to get her legs into a squat position and apply light pressure /all sorts of things to help her fart/poop so that it isn't an issue in the middle of the night - sometimes this has to be done in the middle of the night. If we catch her as she wakes before it's a full on cry, we can look at her and keep our eyes closed for a minute or so and she will close hers and go back to sleep.

=These are things you could try/ideas, but there's no guarantee any in specific are the thing for your child. These are what work for us specifically, and we also cosleep (just under 4 months old daughter). Only you can know best :)

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 13, 2015

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Ok I've got a newborn question. I'm 38 weeks now and everything is going well. I have a close friend who lives across the country who wants to visit us for two weeks in June. I thought that might be a bit long but she offered to stay in a hotel for one of the weeks, and it turns out my husband has to be away for a business trip for the other week anyway so it might be nice to have another adult around to help. Right now I'm leaning toward saying yes, but I'm not completely sure I'll want someone other than immediate family staying over for that long when the baby is so young. I know a lot of this depends upon the personalities in question but is there a "baby factor" I haven't considered?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
How close of a friend is she? It'd be nice to have someone there while your husband is gone, but if she's expecting you to entertain while you have a tiny newborn, it's probably best she waits to visit.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

1up posted:

How close of a friend is she? It'd be nice to have someone there while your husband is gone, but if she's expecting you to entertain while you have a tiny newborn, it's probably best she waits to visit.

Yeah. Will she be willing and able to help you with things? Does she have her TDAP booster updated? Maybe if she has a hotel as a back up option it could work out.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Funhilde posted:

Will she be willing and able to help you with things?

This. If she's sufficiently close to you that you won't need to put up a cheerful front, but can cry in front of her with your boobs hanging out, and she doesn't expect you to cater to her in any way but will instead help out and make you feel better, then sure! Especially the week your husband is gone - some newborns are easy, but if you get one of those that need to be held and rocked all the time, an extra pair of hands is invaluable for your sanity.

The important thing is to do what YOU want. If you think it'll be nice to have her around, do it. If you don't really want to, but feel like you should say yes, then don't. The post partum period is hard enough without adding extra stress factors, this really is the time to be totally selfish and put yours and your babys wants and needs before everyone elses.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The angle is perfect + I suggest buying the deluxe which will rock automatically for an extra $10 or $20 too, well worth it. Our baby has minor gas which always picks up around 4am with grunting in her sleep and this still settles her during daytime sleep.

FYI - for babies with gas/colic/reflux it's suggested to hold them upright and/or head elevated after feeding for up to 30mins. I find our baby is much, much happier this way even after they start to relax + don't be afraid to feed if they *are* crying in the middle of the night because that extra milk can soothe the strong stomach acid and/or just put her back to sleep altogether. Doing the upright for 30 mins/not in the middle of the night is your call and easily situational, though.

Every baby is different. Mine hates having her feet covered by anything, not even the super lightweight baby blanket. She'll take her socks off and happily shove her cold feet under mom's arm/stomach too. If she wakes in the middle of the night my wife typically will: while cradling her, bounce on an exercise ball if crying hardcore or: try to nurse her back to sleep, or: walk around and rock her. In the mornings and/or sometimes before sleep I do "gassy time" with the baby, which consists of singing to her + doing baby bicycles, tummy massages, help her on her back to get her legs into a squat position and apply light pressure /all sorts of things to help her fart/poop so that it isn't an issue in the middle of the night - sometimes this has to be done in the middle of the night. If we catch her as she wakes before it's a full on cry, we can look at her and keep our eyes closed for a minute or so and she will close hers and go back to sleep.

=These are things you could try/ideas, but there's no guarantee any in specific are the thing for your child. These are what work for us specifically, and we also cosleep (just under 4 months old daughter). Only you can know best :)

Thanks, this is very helpful and reassuring. I was sad about "20-30 minutes upright after feedings" because nursing back to sleep in the middle of the night is just so easy. I felt like I was cheating and doing it out of laziness. We'll try Gassy Time too, that sounds like a great Dad-tivity. I got a Deluxe Rock n' Play today because I have heard over and over again how great this is to help babies sleep.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Thanks for the advice about my friend. She does have the tdap booster. We're definitely close enough and I think her heart is in the right place, I'm just not sure how much help she'll be. She doesn't do the cooking, cleaning, or grocery shopping in her own home (long story) so I'm not sure why she'd help me with mine. When she visited to "help out" the week before my wedding she kind of just tagged along while I did everything. It was fun but not a lot of actual help.

I think she views this as more like a "visit the new baby" than a "help out your friend" trip, which I understand, but it's a long time to have a houseguest even without a newborn. So I explained to her today that I'll be feeding and changing diapers >10x/day and won't be taking the baby out in crowded places since it's before the baby's dtap. In other words, it won't be a vacation and if she wants that she's welcome to visit when the baby's older.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Baja Mofufu posted:

I think she views this as more like a "visit the new baby" than a "help out your friend" trip

Oh no, you definitely don't need that kind of visitor for two weeks with an infant in the house. If you do want to see her, maybe you can compromise on a two-day visit with her staying in a hotel the entire time.

(In addition to the feeding and the diapers, you're likely to be pretty hormonal still, so even small worries and stress factors can seem huge and horrible when you're in the thick of it. I don't think there's a single new mother who didn't burst randomly into tears at times, be it due to "oh my god, I love that little meatloaf so much!" or "oh my god, I'm never going to get to take a shower again." It's totally normal, and it will pass, but it's definitely not the time to have a non-contributing visitor/houseguest who just wants to have baby cuddle fun time.)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I did a thing

edit: tired person forgets to use tags properly :v:

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 15, 2015

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
That is one gigantic adorable baby! Congratulations!

Edit: It's not gigantic anymore, but it's still adorable :3:

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 15, 2015

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
:3: Beautiful baby, Big Big Hug. Congratulations!

I'm coming up on 35 weeks and getting friggin' excited! 4 or 5 weeks ago, my excitement was occasionally peppered with moments of, "HOLY poo poo WHAT THE HELL AM I GONNA DO"-type feelings, with regards to the birth process more than anything, but now I just feel happy and ready. This will be my first child, so I fully expect those feelings to return at some point, but for now I'm just trying to remain relaxed.

I've been keeping busy by getting my bag packed for the hospital now. Any good tips on what to bring that might not be mentioned on any of the standard online/baby book checklists?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

eselbaum posted:

I've been keeping busy by getting my bag packed for the hospital now. Any good tips on what to bring that might not be mentioned on any of the standard online/baby book checklists?

I was most thankful for my own underwear and pads. My own pillow and nursing PJs were a close second.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My hospital had a newborn photographer come through (who was reasonably priced!) so we had a cute outfit and blanket just in case. Even though we did our own pics later, I really treasure the ones we took in the hospital when she was less than one day old.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Funhilde posted:

I was most thankful for my own underwear and pads. My own pillow and nursing PJs were a close second.

Haha, on the flip side I loved the giant hospital mesh panties, and stole both panties and a bunch of gigantic pads home with me.

Bring a few nursing tank tops/bras (expect to get yaked on repeatedly, and you don't really get to do laundry at the hospital), and comfy and slightly roomy clothes.
I basically lived in my maternity tights, a nursing tank top and a cardigan, not only at the hospital but for the first two weeks at home as well ;)

(And the most amazing thing I brought for myself, turned out to be a bag of homemade cinnamon buns. Instantly available delicious food I could eat one-handed was a godsent.)

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Sockmuppet posted:

Haha, on the flip side I loved the giant hospital mesh panties, and stole both panties and a bunch of gigantic pads home with me.

Bring a few nursing tank tops/bras (expect to get yaked on repeatedly, and you don't really get to do laundry at the hospital), and comfy and slightly roomy clothes.
I basically lived in my maternity tights, a nursing tank top and a cardigan, not only at the hospital but for the first two weeks at home as well ;)

(And the most amazing thing I brought for myself, turned out to be a bag of homemade cinnamon buns. Instantly available delicious food I could eat one-handed was a godsent.)

i wasn't bleeding too bad so that may be why. I was only in the hospital for 36 hours after delivery too. Labor at the hospital was 24 hours.

I remember my other favorite thing- my fuzzy non-slip slippers. I could shuffle around in them, they fit my swollen feet and kept my feet warm.

Post pregnancy I wish I had known about sitz baths earlier- really helped with my hemorrhoid pain.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Seconding you own pads - at my hospital, the pads weren't adhesive and that was annoying. And my own pillow. Non scratchy toilet paper might be good. My bathrobe was indispensable. And snacks. Hospital food is crap!

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 16, 2015

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I had a c-section and stayed a few days afterward. When I finally felt good enough to have a shower, I realized I'd forgotten shampoo and had to wash my hair with my exfoliating face scrub. The hospital towel was also tiny and scratchy.

It was still the greatest most refreshing shower I've ever had, but next time I'll definitely bring shampoo and a big soft towel.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
Thanks for the responses! I tend to be an over-packer, so having an idea of what's useful and what's not is very helpful for me.

Saw my midwife today, which always puts me in a good, reassured mood. :) GBS test in 2 weeks - wish me luck!

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Bring some goddamn socks and shoes. Sounds stupid but with my second kid, I labored around my apartment in slippers and went out the door in them and in the midst of going "OH GOD gently caress THIS poo poo I HATE BEING IN LABOR" no one noticed that I didn't bring proper shoes and socks until we checked out of the birth center a couple of days later. It was late November too so my feet were pretty cold on the way to the car. I felt pretty dumb.

Anyway, checking into this thread with my third pregnancy. It's an I-was-on-the-pill-goddamnit baby so my husband and I are still kind of drifting through our days in a shocked coma. We already have a 3 1/2 year old and a 17 month old and weren't planning on another until he finished up his Master's degree, if at all. On the other hand if we're having a third it might be nice to just get it over with this year and then we're done for sure, forever. :haw:

I think I'm around 6 weeks along. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to find out for sure. Thing is, I have way fewer symptoms this time than I did with the other 2. I had migraines, vomiting, took 3 hour naps almost every day, etc, by 6-7 weeks along and this time I'm kinda nauseous here and there and have a weird craving for fish sticks and broccoli and that's it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to not be fighting endless migraines while trying to care for 2 other kids this time as well but I can't help but worry about having so few symptoms this time. Intellectually I know "every pregnancy is different" and I should be thrilled that maybe this pregnancy will be way easier than the last two, but emotionally part of my brain is freaking out that something is wrong. I just want to see that fuzzy white blur on the ultrasound already.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord

Pata Pata Pata Pon posted:

Bring some goddamn socks and shoes. Sounds stupid but with my second kid, I labored around my apartment in slippers and went out the door in them and in the midst of going "OH GOD gently caress THIS poo poo I HATE BEING IN LABOR" no one noticed that I didn't bring proper shoes and socks until we checked out of the birth center a couple of days later. It was late November too so my feet were pretty cold on the way to the car. I felt pretty dumb.

Oh my god seconded, I did this exact same thing. Put some in the bag just to be sure. When it was time to go to the hospital, I absolutely could not put on proper shoes or even sit down to have somebody else do it. I stepped into a pair of ballet flats, went to the hospital in the lovely spring weather, was discharged from the hospital after three days of snow. Besides my feet being cold, they looked stupid with sweatpants.

Speaking of which, I produced this:

Josefin, march 19th, weighed 3700 g

It was kind of insane, my water broke at 2 AM but I wasn't having regular contractions so the hospital told us to stay home (which is super fun when you're sloshing amniotic fluid everywhere). Suddenly started having contractions like crazy at around 2 PM. Got to the hospital at 4.30 PM and she was out by 8.20. I was like "what the hell just happened?" This was simultaneously the craziest, most horrible and most amazing thing I've ever experienced.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
^ Cuuute! ^ And she and I share a birthday!

I should hope the weather will be nice by the time my due date rolls around in May, but I live in MN, so you never know! Your thoughts on bringing real shoes are duly noted.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I couldn't fit in my regular shoes because my sweet were so swollen.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Me either. I had to wear my slippers home. Speaking of slippers, bring ones you can easily just slip on. Mine had backs and I couldn't bend down to put them on myself. I got fed up trying to find a nurse to put them on everytime I had to get out of bed and ended up shuffling around in my ted hose.

An Cat Dubh fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 18, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Did you know that adult humans have between 4.7 and 5.5 liters of blood in their bodies?that sounds about right to me, because this morning I saw 2.6 liters of it gush out of mrs canyoneer. :stare:

That's what happens when you give birth to a 10lb11oz (4850 gram) baby with a 15" circumference noggin. He's totally fine, but we got a code called on us and suddenly the room floods with 12 extra people. I was surprised to see how fast they can transfuse 2 liters of blood (4 bags, less than 20 minutes).

So, yeah, glad we gave birth in a hospital instead of someplace else.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Christ, that sounds scary! Glad to hear that you're all ok :) And congratulations!

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord

Holy moley that is a big baby! Well done mrs canyoneer :eek:
Glad to hear everybody was OK, congratulations to you both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

After the longest few weeks of our lives (two weeks after the due date,) and what felt like the longest labor ("only" 25 hours), we had Saoirse on Tuesday night. All has been great so far, but today her umbilical stump started to smell pretty strongly. There aren't other signs of infection, no redness beyond what is expected, no pus, etc, but the smell is not very pretty. Is this abnormal? We've asked our siblings that have had kids and they said it wasn't abnormal, but as is usual with internet searching so many alarming results pop up that you can work yourself in to a state.

Other than that, she seems to be perfect. Feeding well, sleeping well, we've had multiple followups with the birth center and everything was great.

She is going to hate us for that name when she is in school.