Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I haven't been able to find any hard reviews of the G6. Just fluff "look at the new Samsung!!! ::ejaculate everywhere::" pieces.

The thing shaping up to be pretty awesome? I know it's glass now and that looks pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Do you currently have a Samsung?

I've had my S6 since Monday but my answer depends on whether you're familiar with Touchwiz/other Samsung phones.

Edit: here's a good review http://engt.co/1BTG825

Gravitee fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 3, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Assuming you mean the S6:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/31/8317743/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-review

Here's one of a G6:
http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/g6/
:D

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
So what exactly is the "SCORE!" program with prepaid accounts?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Beefstorm posted:

So what exactly is the "SCORE!" program with prepaid accounts?

Basically you pay $5 a month. After 6 months you can get a entry level smart phone like the Alcatel Evolve 2 for free after 6 months. If you wait a year you can get up to $150 off any phone.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I called T-Mobile and asked them to unlock the prepaid phone I got the last time I was in the US. They said it had only been activated for 5 months and I needed to call back after 6 months to get a free unlock code.

T-Mobile also deactivates prepaid SIMs after 6 months of inactivity. :saddowns:

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

eXXon posted:

I called T-Mobile and asked them to unlock the prepaid phone I got the last time I was in the US. They said it had only been activated for 5 months and I needed to call back after 6 months to get a free unlock code.

T-Mobile also deactivates prepaid SIMs after 6 months of inactivity. :saddowns:

They are wrong. Here is the policy.

Unlock eligibility for pay in advance (prepaid) phones, tablets and mobile internet devices
The device has been active on the T-Mobile network for more than 1 year on the requesting line.
If the device has been active for less than 1 year on the requesting line, the Pay in Advance account associated with the device must have had more than $25 in refills for basic phones or $100 in refills for smartphones or tablet since device first use date.
The account must not be canceled and in good standing.
T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

Source: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 20, 2018

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Is the Nerd plan limited to 4G (HSPA+) speeds or is it balls out LTE? Seems a bit cagey the way they say 'up to 4G speeds for the first 5GB' when they are very careful to use 4G and 4GLTE everywhere else to distinguish between them.

Was going to switch to Cricket when my Moto X 2014 comes in but with the T-Mobile SIM already in it figure I might give them a try for immediate gratification.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Red Warrior posted:

Is the Nerd plan limited to 4G (HSPA+) speeds or is it balls out LTE? Seems a bit cagey the way they say 'up to 4G speeds for the first 5GB' when they are very careful to use 4G and 4GLTE everywhere else to distinguish between them.

Was going to switch to Cricket when my Moto X 2014 comes in but with the T-Mobile SIM already in it figure I might give them a try for immediate gratification.

It's full LTE.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

IOwnCalculus posted:

Second, is there any reason to not buy these to refill?

I too would like to know if this is legit. Seems like there are a few different sellers are doing the same thing, you supply the number for the refill to be applied. legit?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Burden posted:

They are wrong. Here is the policy.

Unlock eligibility for pay in advance (prepaid) phones, tablets and mobile internet devices
The device has been active on the T-Mobile network for more than 1 year on the requesting line.
If the device has been active for less than 1 year on the requesting line, the Pay in Advance account associated with the device must have had more than $25 in refills for basic phones or $100 in refills for smartphones or tablet since device first use date.
The account must not be canceled and in good standing.
T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

Source: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

I'm aware of that. Nonetheless, that's what the rep said. Anyway, the rules actually used to be more generous: only 40 days of activity and $50 of refills to unlock a pre-paid phone. I probably should have done that when I had the chance. Now they say you can get an unlock code for free after just one entire loving year, but they'll cancel your account after 6 months of inactivity so no, not really.

I only got this phone as a backup in the first place because it wasn't available in Canada at the time and I though it would be useful to have a US SIM for occasional travel but no, it's just an inconvenient hassle.

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

As much as I love T-Mo I'd be wary of anything an internet CSR says. I remember trying to figure out things for some changes to my account, and at least TWO CSRs said they could and did make the changes I requested. But when nothing happened I called Customer Service on the phone and that rep said that the internet CSR didn't have the authority to do what I asked. :psyduck: This was about a year ago, so YMMV.

Update:

Called on the phone and successfully converted my pay as you go (pay by the day) account to the Nerd plan. Here's how the conversation went, to the best of my recollection.

Me: Hello, I've been on the pay by the day, pay as you go plan, and I bought a SIM starter kit from Wal-Mart for the $30/month Wal-Mart plan with 5 gigs of data. I'd like to change my account to use that.
CSR: Yes ma'am. What is your phone number?
Me: 555-555-5555
CSR: Thank you, miss.
Me: no problem.
CSR: And what is your pin number, dear?
Me: XXXX
CSR: Great, thank you.
CSR: Oh, I'm so sorry, dear. That $30/month Wal-Mart plan isn't available.
Me: I don't understand. Why is it not available?
CSR: I'm sorry miss, but it's only for new accounts, not for existing accounts.
Me: Oh, okay. Well I suppose I'm going to have to consider whether I should cancel this account and start a new account with a new phone number.
CSR: Oh no ma'am, please don't do that. Here, let me check with the support team. *Waits half a second* Yes, it turns out that we can do that for you. I've converted your paygo account to the $30/month Wal-Mart plan.
Me: Oh, thank you so much!
CSR: Please turn off your current phone and put in the new SIM card, then turn it on again. In a couple of hours, it should update and you should receive text messages showing that your plan has changed.
Me: And my current balance will carry over, in addition to being able to keep my phone number?
CSR: Yes, miss, of course.
Me: Excellent, thank you so much!
CSR: You're very welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you today, dear?
Me: No thank you. Thank you again for all your help!
CSR: You're very welcome. Have a good day, ma'am!

So I'm using the new Wal-Mart SIM with my old crap smartphone until I get a new fancy phone (like the Zenfone 2 when it finally comes out), at which point I'll put the new Wal-Mart SIM in that.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

r0ck0 posted:

I too would like to know if this is legit. Seems like there are a few different sellers are doing the same thing, you supply the number for the refill to be applied. legit?

Do these work with nerd plans?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191544296700?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Yes they will.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Burden posted:

Yes they will.

Proof? Those look like they're for different prepaid plans.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
Does anyone have any recommendations for best value camera phone from T-Mobile(That is not an Iphone)? I've started doing a lot of traveling and would like a better phone for taking pictures. Since I pretty much just take a backpack, hop in my car and go out for the weekend.
I currently have a Lumia 635 and the camera is pretty lack luster. I'd like to avoid getting a high end phone if I can help it. I have zero problems ordering a refurbished phone, because I really dont use my phone for much besides pictures now and texting.
I was looking at the Z1S or H8, they both seem to have really nice cameras and are pretty reasonably priced.

Any suggestions?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443724483"]
Proof? Those look like they're for different prepaid plans.

I work for Tmobile. It's a prepaid card. You'll have $100 added to your prepaid account. The nerd plan is a prepaid plan.

The Mango
Oct 20, 2003

Burden posted:

I work for Tmobile. It's a prepaid card. You'll have $100 added to your prepaid account. The nerd plan is a prepaid plan.

Is it usually the case that these ebay auctions for T-Mobile refills that are priced very low, like 15-35% off, are refills that were purchased with stolen credit cards, and people who buy them will have their T-Mobile account frozen until they pay T-Mobile the full regular price to get those minutes back?

I've heard that that happens.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

The Mango posted:

Is it usually the case that these ebay auctions for T-Mobile refills that are priced very low, like 15-35% off, are refills that were purchased with stolen credit cards, and people who buy them will have their T-Mobile account frozen until they pay T-Mobile the full regular price to get those minutes back?

I've heard that that happens.

In my almost 10 years at T-mobile I have never heard of that happening. Not saying it didn't, but I have never heard of that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I decided to take a flying leap on one of those, and within half an hour I got this:

quote:

Free T-Mobile Msg: $100.00 has been added to your account. Your new balance is $130.00. Thanks for refilling!

Not bad for $68, effectively making the $30/mo nerd-plan a $20.40/mo super-nerd-plan.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Speaking of the thread title, if you don't follow Legere on Periscope, you need to. He's on right now in his hotel room, dropping F-bombs and trashing other CEOs in general for being yes men. His honesty is refreshing and makes me want to leave AT&T (but I can't because I need Montana coverage).

Edit: he's on now at one of the call centers. He asked for a blonde female employee's number, telling her and everyone she's hot.

Wall Street must be terrified of Periscope and Legere. He's a loose cannon, lol.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 10, 2015

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Apparently I'm getting free data for the rest of the year for being awesome. Thanks TMo!

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I just found out the Z3 isn't being sold by T-Mobile anymore. Do you think any of the stores will have them in the back? Or are they not even supposed to physically sell them at all? Also If I jumped on the 2 lines of unlimited data for $100 deal, could I split this with someone? And what will happen if they decide to not pay?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
SMS people in the know:

What would be causing my phone to receive text messages from an alerting system and making a new text message convo for every alert, rather than showing the alerts under a single contact for the device that is sending them?

Picture attached is of the way alerts come in: http://i.imgur.com/65URsgs.png

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Wicaeed posted:

SMS people in the know:

What would be causing my phone to receive text messages from an alerting system and making a new text message convo for every alert, rather than showing the alerts under a single contact for the device that is sending them?

Picture attached is of the way alerts come in: http://i.imgur.com/65URsgs.png

It looks like the message is coming from a different number each time. That's why it is coming up as a different conversation thread.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Except it's not, and that's not even a real phone number, thereby doubling my confusion :(

This also happens with other alerting systems we use (legit, open source ones like Zabbix).

I used to be on Sprint and had this problem, but was able to fix it by using a different email address for my phone number (SMS vs MMS), but T-Mobile only seems to have a single email (number@tmomail.com)

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

b0nes posted:

I just found out the Z3 isn't being sold by T-Mobile anymore. Do you think any of the stores will have them in the back? Or are they not even supposed to physically sell them at all? Also If I jumped on the 2 lines of unlimited data for $100 deal, could I split this with someone? And what will happen if they decide to not pay?

Just buy it straight from Sony. That's what I did (Z3C) and no problems whatsoever. Great phone.

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
Hey t-mo folk!

I'm looking into switching to t-mobile from verizon and have a few questions.

1. With the unlimited 2 lines for $100 promotion, is this unlimited with no throttling, or do speeds slow down after some amount of gb?

2. I have a couple of verizon phones (iphone 5 and galaxy s4) and am having trouble finding whether the radios will work with t-mobile's LTE service. Will these phones work, and more importantly, could someone explain how to look at a phones radio LTE bands and determine which bands are pertinent to work with a given network? (teach a man to fish!)

Thanks!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mr. Bubbles posted:

Hey t-mo folk!

1. With the unlimited 2 lines for $100 promotion, is this unlimited with no throttling, or do speeds slow down after some amount of gb?

2. I have a couple of verizon phones (iphone 5 and galaxy s4) and am having trouble finding whether the radios will work with t-mobile's LTE service. Will these phones work, and more importantly, could someone explain how to look at a phones radio LTE bands and determine which bands are pertinent to work with a given network? (teach a man to fish!)

Thanks!

You having T-Mobile buy your Verizon contact out? Because if so you need to give them the old phones for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Bubbles posted:

Hey t-mo folk!

Thanks!
1) T-Mobile reserves the right to throttle after 5 GB, but it's probably only to happen when the network is congested. It's right in the terms.

2) Generally just searching for info on them (both the phone and the carrier). GSMArena.com is a good place to search for phones, and Wikipedia lists the LTE bands in various lists. Apple lists the bands by model number on their website. No idea about Samsung, though it's probably there. I can tell you without even looking that you'll want to trade in the iPhone as it will not have LTE service and will have limited 3G.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Endless Mike posted:

2) Generally just searching for info on them (both the phone and the carrier). GSMArena.com is a good place to search for phones, and Wikipedia lists the LTE bands in various lists. Apple lists the bands by model number on their website. No idea about Samsung, though it's probably there. I can tell you without even looking that you'll want to trade in the iPhone as it will not have LTE service and will have limited 3G.

According to that giant grid on the Wikipedia Galaxy S4 article it looks like the situation with it will be the same as the iPhone: no LTE and limited 3G. Here are the bands you want for T-Mobile, listed in order of importance:
  • 2G GSM/EDGE: 1900 MHz
  • 3G UMTS/HSPA: 1700/2100 MHz (a.k.a. "1700", "AWS", "Band IV", "Band 4"), 1900 MHz (a.k.a. "Band II", "Band 2")
  • 4G LTE: band 4, band 2, band 12
Band 12 LTE is fairly new so don't expect to find it on any models from last year or earlier. T-Mobile also only has the licenses to deploy it in certain areas (and even within those areas they may be blocked from using it by TV stations broadcasting on channel 51) so don't let its absence be a deal-breaker for you.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any thoughts on the Amazon Fire phone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wormil posted:

HAHAHAHA

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

wormil posted:

For actual content, consider:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/08/01/amazon-fire-phone-review-its-not-terrible-its-just-pointless/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Uthor posted:

HAHAHAHA
Its down to $70 after discounting the $100 for prime...But this is still the proper response.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Mr. Bubbles posted:

Hey t-mo folk!

Thanks!

1st. The 2 for $100 will get you unlimited high speed. It won't throttle. I use about 20 gigs a month and haven't been throttled. I see customers who use 100+ gigs a month and they haven't been throttled so you are good to go.

Your second question has been answered but yeah you won't get LTE but should get 3g without issue. I'd recommend trading in those phones to get T-Mobile phones. You'll have a better expierece and will get features like Wi-Fi calling and voice over LTE, and HD voice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

So a good phone crippled by FireOS, kinda what I expected.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr.Radar posted:

Band 12 LTE is fairly new so don't expect to find it on any models from last year or earlier. T-Mobile also only has the licenses to deploy it in certain areas (and even within those areas they may be blocked from using it by TV stations broadcasting on channel 51) so don't let its absence be a deal-breaker for you.

It's not a deal breaker, sure. But it is available on a selection of phones from last year:

Note 4
Note Edge
Nexus 6

New phones that officially support it:

Galaxy S6/S6 Edge
HTC One M9

No other phones officially support it. I wouldn't be worried about lack of Band 12 for this 2 year cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

ruby idiot railed posted:

It's not a deal breaker, sure. But it is available on a selection of phones from last year:

Note 4
Note Edge
Nexus 6

New phones that officially support it:

Galaxy S6/S6 Edge
HTC One M9

No other phones officially support it. I wouldn't be worried about lack of Band 12 for this 2 year cycle.

I said don't expect it, not that you won't find it. :v: Also the Galaxy Avant, the (recently discontinued) Sony Z3 T-Mobile edition, and the (also recently discontinued) ZTE ZMax should be getting software updates soon to enable band 12.