Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
To the posters that wanted a Daredevil suit left out entirely, and regarding Batman, you have to remember that it's never just about adhering to the comics, there are, and were, pretty logical plot reasons for it usually that have to do with symbolism.

In this show, you have Matt straight out say he wants to become a symbol. He's already seen (heh) firsthand that rumors of a man in black saving people can get normal everyday people to do altruistic things, like Claire helping a hurt stranger when there's a good chance it would bring danger to her doorstep. So, this Matt at least thinks that by an anonymous Man In Black becoming a more, let's say, public figure, he can inspire more and more people (like Mrs.Cardenas) to do what's right and stand up for themselves. Kind of like what Fisk tried to do, but his intentions weren't as noble.

Batman is similar, except, as someone already said, his motive falls more on the inspiring fear part because Gotham is usually treated as so hosed up that there is little hope to be had.

Superman seems to be a character who falls on the inspiring hope side of things when it comes to the suit and etc, etc.

Now that I think of it, this whole "shadowy and anonymous do-gooder transitions into a more well-known, inspiring figure" thing must be some sort of Cambellian archetype that goes back a ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pretty good foreshadowing: Bill Fisk hammering a nail into the top of his head on a campaign sign

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Unmature posted:

Also D'Onofrio could've done a little work on his arms. Next to his fat head and barrel-y torso they looked pretty spindly.

It's got to be the Suburban Truck Doors machine weights and high reps with low weight resistance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4

Yeah, lots of reps, good cardio but not enough weight.

TEAH SYAG fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 17, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

Now that I think of it, this whole "shadowy and anonymous do-gooder transitions into a more well-known, inspiring figure" thing must be some sort of Cambellian archetype that goes back a ways.

Yeah I think something like that happened once, maybe you heard about from some old book? :catholic:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Hahaha:

Apparently there's a bowling-themed supervillain named "Tenpin" with the same name as the assassin that Daredevil defends in 1x03, Healy, the guy that killed Prohaska with a bowling ball. Because of course there is.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 17, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I really liked the priest character mainly because having lived by my church for most of my life he was pretty accurate to how most priests that have been at my church have acted in semi-casual situations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I just got a rewatch this week, and I think what's more believeable is the way that he eventually becomes Daredevil is more organic in nature and there's not one singular event that causes him to go " I must become the night!"

Like he has tragedies but not one singular tragedy, him being blinded, his father dying, Sticks training, makes him go " I must become the night".

It's finally him just being fed up with poo poo and wanting to gently caress poo poo up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I just got a rewatch this week, and I think what's more believeable is the way that he eventually becomes Daredevil is more organic in nature and there's not one singular event that causes him to go " I must become the night!"

Like he has tragedies but not one singular tragedy, him being blinded, his father dying, Sticks training, makes him go " I must become the night".

It's finally him just being fed up with poo poo and wanting to gently caress poo poo up.

What's most interesting to me is that his inspiration to help people comes from his literal inability to tune out the pain of others.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McSpanky posted:

Yeah I think something like that happened once, maybe you heard about from some old book? :catholic:

Yeah because the Bible was the first story ever communicated from one human to another. :rolleyes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

XboxPants posted:

What's most interesting to me is that his inspiration to help people comes from his literal inability to tune out the pain of others.

If you think about it his abilities almost make him omnipotent almost and he's the wrath of a angry god, very Old Testament as well.

He goes through trials and tribulations, but doesn't succumb to being evil. Then he goes to change his world.

Similar in nature to Job.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Steve Yun posted:

Pretty good foreshadowing: Bill Fisk hammering a nail into the top of his head on a campaign sign

Man, loving layers. This show is full of them.

I had to imdb it, but Fisk's douchebag dad is the douchebag cop from the Wire.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Kingpin is a "whiny baby" of sorts in this show. That's how he sees himself because of his father's "toughen up, kid. Be somebody! Stand up for yourself! Kick him again!" way of raising him. He was pressured and frightened by his father for being a "wimp" and then permanently scarred and traumatized by what he and his mother did to the old man. He's pretending not to be these things and the cloak of strength, reclusiveness, power and ultimately the public face he wears is his costume. His "suit". But he still can't look in the mirror without seeing a scared "whiny baby" until he won Vanessa.

She's is an obvious extension of his mother ("What you did is OK. Here's what you need to do now, etc. etc.") Notice how he looks to her for acceptance and approval after the speeches he gives and how he accepts her guidance without question. You don't have to be Freud to glean this from the show.

Wilson's written as a person who's scared and insecure but feels like he needs to be strong and he's played wonderfully nuanced. I'm not seeing the problem with his portrayal at all. If there's a weak link in the cast, it's Foggy but even he's pretty darned good.

I also take back "I wish they explained Matt's powers better" because I just watched "Nelson v. Mudock" and it summed it pretty well. But I think it'd have been better if they explained it earlier. Sometimes Matt just doesn't act blind. For example, hen he wakes up after Foggy finds him and he's beaten half to death, he immediately "sees" the bandages and poo poo next to his bed just by glancing at it.

I agree with the interpretation and I think its good for the most part, my issue is is it hammers it home a bit too often, it have been sufficient just to see occasionally of the infantile-fisk leaking out in critical scenes, but he's hitting the same notes pretty much every time he's on screen.

The episode which is fisk focused is great, but from that episode on after you've seen explicitly the guys private motivations whenever he freaked out I was like "Ok I get it already".

massive spider fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 17, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

XboxPants posted:

Hahaha:

Apparently there's a bowling-themed supervillain named "Tenpin" with the same name as the assassin that Daredevil defends in 1x03, Healy, the guy that killed Prohaska with a bowling ball. Because of course there is.

this is amazing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dj_clawson posted:

I wonder what it's like making a career out of the fact that your face just screams douchebag

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'm sure that everyone noticed this because it's super obvious, but I don't actually remember anyone mentioning it...

Before his name is found out, on Ben's conspiracy board, Fisk's card is the king pinned at the top. Literally they are like "there's someone at the top. we don't know who it is" cut to Ben pinning the king at the top. Which made the shot of his dad hammering the nail into the top of his head on the sign like, both a callback and a foreshadowing.

edit: As far as I know, they haven't actually said the word "Kingpin" in this show.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Weirdly, the priest character isn't any of the priests that show up in daredevil comics, but the priest that the Runaways chill with for a while.

Also I don't think anyone was really "THE SUIT SHOULD GO" were they? Just "If the creators have a story or angle they want to pursue and it's good, go for it" I agree.

I don't have any problem that they did go for it and I was expecting and excited to see it all along, I just didn't like that it ended up looking entirely laughable while the black suit looked pretty cool.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ShineDog posted:

Also I don't think anyone was really "THE SUIT SHOULD GO" were they? Just "If the creators have a story or angle they want to pursue and it's good, go for it" I agree.

I don't think anyone was dumb enough to think they'd backtrack on at least some kind of suit, but yes people here were saying they'd rather there had been no suit at all, but I think from the operating assumption that it was just done for the suit itself and not also for other reasons like the one I mentioned.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

ShineDog posted:

Well, there were a few people that wanted the black 'costume' to come back and didn't like the red one.

That one guy kinda went off the deep end with projections projecting and all that jazz so I didn't want to derail further.

I agree that the red one seemed a wee bit overdeveloped.

XboxPants posted:

Hahaha:

:allears: comics.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

Man, loving layers. This show is full of them.

You had to imdb it? I knew exactly the moment he even said a word.

Just finished the show and it was pretty loving rad. Very surprised that it was even good, it's better than most of the MCU marvel films.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I just wish they had more shots where we could see the suit clearly without the harsh shadows covering up like 50% of it.

I lean more to the side of liking the idea of the suit, but I couldn't see the drat thing to make a good judgement call.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Maybe this has been posted before, but I've never seen it. From an interview with Stephanie Maslansky, the costume designer:
http://fashionista.com/2015/04/daredevil-costume-design

quote:

What about the final red iconic costume that blew up the Internet, via Marvel's tweet?

I have to be honest about this: I did not create that costume. That costume was conceptualized by Marvel, and it was a huge deal. Fabrics were created, pieces were manufactured. The costume was created by utilizing a variety of craftsmen — let’s put it that way — and it really came together over time. What I've been led to understand is it’s typical of the superhero costumes in the Marvel cinematic universe that they are more or less created by comic illustrators themselves, because they're the ones that conceptualize these things. It’s kind of an odd way to work. I have the feeling that if it happens again, then I will get more involved. I told them that I want to. I think that it would be more efficient that way, but that said, I am really happy with the costumes that they came up with.

So in other words, she was trying to find a nice way of saying it was "design by comittee" and it sounds like the main costume designer wasn't even allowed into the process. Pretty much what I expected to begin with.

Please, Marvel, you're getting so good at loosening your grip on everything else, just loosen it on this too. It'll end up in a better costume for your purposes, too, instead of the Homer Car of superhero suits.

(okay it wasn't that bad, but it really wasn't very good and is probably the worst Daredevil costume on film, including the actually quite good "put on random clothes from my dresser" costume and the Ben Affleck trainwreck movie costume)

She also goes into some blindness stuff, like "how does he coordinate his outfits if he can't see colors" and what her answers were for that and they're pretty good if you wanted to see that topic addressed.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 17, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
His cotton shirts and pants are grey, his nylon/cotton blend shirts and pants are black, his silk ones are navy, et cetera. Hahaha.

I'm sure he could just as easily have a small tag or thread attached to each article of clothing with one or more stitches/knots representing a color. That's what I'd do if I were blind and had lots of clothes. :colbert:
(If I were blind I'd totally just wear Hawaiian tourist style clothes)

It's not quite the speed force but it's certainly Daredevil.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

Hahaha:

:staredog: And I thought Silvermane was kind of out there

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

XboxPants posted:

Maybe this has been posted before, but I've never seen it. From an interview with Stephanie Maslansky, the costume designer:
http://fashionista.com/2015/04/daredevil-costume-design

So in other words, she was trying to find a nice way of saying it was "design by comittee" and it sounds like the main costume designer wasn't even allowed into the process. Pretty much what I expected to begin with.

Please, Marvel, you're getting so good at loosening your grip on everything else, just loosen it on this too. It'll end up in a better costume for your purposes, too, instead of the Homer Car of superhero suits.

That makes a lot of sense. Even if you don't hate the costume it just didn't fit the aesthetic they had built up throughout the Season.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I liked the 2003 suit actually, and really don't mind the new one except for the fact that it looks a little bulky.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They will undoubtedly tweak the suit down the track. They've done it with all the other MCU characters at some point.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
You guys ever wonder if the suit was deliberately shown obscurely, so they can tweak as needed between seasons?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daredevil was the second most pirated show after GoT last week which goes to show that even if you offer something cheap and easy to get people will still steal it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I get the feeling that it's not about convenience for a lot of those people, but some sort of misplaced "stickin' it to the man" attitude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmmm

I'm linking it because it's the barest of comics spoilers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

I get the feeling that it's not about convenience for a lot of those people, but some sort of misplaced "stickin' it to the man" attitude.

Also Netflix isn't free, nor has everyone the internet for streaming.

Personally i viewed it both ways.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

quote:

For “Daredevil,” Brazil led all territories on piracy, with 190,274 torrent downloaders from last Friday through Thursday, according to Excipio. (Note that Netflix has offered streaming service in Brazil since 2011.) The next biggest countries for piracy of the show were India (149,316), the U.S. (144,351), the U.K. (119,891), France (105,473) and Australia (101,025). Except for India, Netflix currently offers streaming service in each of those nations.

Wonder if this is because of pricing for Brazil and uni students in UK/US.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah, one thing that our "barriers to season 2" speculation has missed is that the MCU might snatch them up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Musluk posted:

Wonder if this is because of pricing for Brazil and uni students in UK/US.

Those are only tracked torrents too, private trackers and Usenet aren't counted.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

zoux posted:

Hmmmm

I'm linking it because it's the barest of comics spoilers.

You know, I was kind of wondering about that. We never saw that guy's face and I wondered briefly if that might be their version of Bullseye, since he was an assassin working for Kingpin. His role was kind of pivotal to the storyline and it was odd to me that we never found out anything about that sniper at all. Of course I was actively looking for that character to show up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was just thinking this morning how one of the big themes of this season is the "hiding the truth is the enemy". Superficially, the major struggle of our heroes is uncovering the what's really going on and what Fisk is really doing. But more than that, all of the problems our heroes have in their little group is because of lying to each other. Matt lying to Karen and Foggy, Foggy lying to Karen, Karen Lying to Matt, Foggy, and Ben, it's the reason they all feel so lost and alone. One part that sticks in my mind, is soon after Karen kills Wesley, Matt is talking about Fisk and says "You can't just go around killing people and call yourself a human being" and it's obvious that Karen is thinking of herself when she hears this. Furthermore, if Karen has any responsibility for Ben's death, it's not because she dragged him to the nursing home, it's because when she told him "They knew about us going to see Fisk's mom" and he asked how she knew, she said it was just a feeling and not "Oh one of them abducted me and asked me about it but I killed them, I don't know who else knows".

Wilson and Vanessa are strong together because they explicitly do not lie to each other.

This show is so good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Fisk's big moment at the end is when he accepts the truth about himself, on top of all that.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I'm surprised that Matt couldn't immediately tell what Karen had done considered all the things he might be able to smell on her including Wesley and a fired gun. Not to mention her obvious distress.

I think the costume did immediately make the whole show a bit campy but then again there was literally a scene where an old woman threw Matt across the room before flying into outer space.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Matt might have some idea but there's no way to confront her directly about it without exposing his own secret. You can kind of see him trying to tease a confession out of her in the last couple of episodes, but she stays quiet. Whether that means he has a definitive idea of what happened or that he just senses somethings off about her, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ravel posted:

I'm surprised that Matt couldn't immediately tell what Karen had done considered all the things he might be able to smell on her including Wesley and a fired gun. Not to mention her obvious distress.

I think the costume did immediately make the whole show a bit campy but then again there was literally a scene where an old woman threw Matt across the room before flying into outer space.

That's a good point and another perfect example of how Matt's powers are inconsistently portrayed in the series (and often downright ignored) and only featured when it's convenient to the plot. I hadn't thought of that but you're right.