Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

From the Engadget review.

It's sort of misleading to quote that as a realistic number for everyday use, though. Nonetheless, I guess you can technically get 10+ out of it in that situation, but the same could then be said for almost any flagship they've reviewed using that method; the iPhone 6 lasted over 10 hours in that same test, and the 6+ lasted 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Not sure why I waited so long to use the Google Now launcher but drat I like it. Does my layout get backed up along with the rest of my apps? As in, if I switch to a new phone, will it re-create my layout when I tell it to use that launcher?

[edit] Talking about specifically the Google Now launcher. I know I can use a backup tool/app to save my layouts in general, which I've done for Apex for example.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 17, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Reverse Centaur posted:

This is how the pros check their phone battery life (green circle)

Is that watch face available on the Moto360?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
So my the screen on my S6 Edge just cracked, a splintering pattern starting from where the glass meets the metal rim. What did I do to crack it? Set it down on a table, gently, with a case on. :wtf: :psyboom:

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Hungry Computer posted:

So my the screen on my S6 Edge just cracked, a splintering pattern starting from where the glass meets the metal rim. What did I do to crack it? Set it down on a table, gently, with a case on. :wtf: :psyboom:

Obviously your fault.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CraigSlice posted:

I'm probably going to grab a moto x today since its the last day the coupon works, but have two quick questions.
Is it worth the extra 50 to go from 32gb to 64gb?
And what is a good small case for it, also just thinking of going caseless.

Upgrading from a nexus 4

Yes, you should spend the extra $50 to double the storage. If you end up needing it, that's your only chance to do so. If not, when you sell it, you'll almost certainly make up the majority of that $50 selling the higher capacity version.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Hungry Computer posted:

We told you about Samsung bro.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Whizbang posted:

We told you about Samsung bro.

You dummy it's Samsung hardware good, Samsung software bad.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

kensei posted:

Is that watch face available on the Moto360?

Yes, it's Pujie Black.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

vyst posted:

You dummy it's Samsung hardware good, Samsung software bad.

There's no proof Touchwiz didn't break his glass. :colbert:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

The only thing I can think of is it must have already been damaged somehow in my pocket. But that really just raises more questions. I don't keep anything else in that pocket, and I didn't bump in to anything. I was just at the store where I purchased it and of course they don't believe me... Not that I would either if I hadn't seen it happen.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Not much to be done I am afraid. Probably a defect in the glass

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hungry Computer posted:

The Galaxy S6 disintegrates under normal use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

comper posted:

It's sort of misleading to quote that as a realistic number for everyday use, though.

I didn't though. I said the phone can get 10+ hours of SoT, not that its something you would see under all use cases.

I've personally seen juuuust shy of 10 hours streaming Netflix over WiFi when I was trying to run the battery down when new. So, I could very easily see doing over that with local media without too much effort.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Normal usage for my Droid Turbo is maybe 12 - 15 hours from 100 - 8% with 2-3 hours SOT and 4-5 hours of PocketCasts. Maybe 1/2 of the podcasts I listen to at 1.2x speed.

I also use Bluetooth headphones and have an LG G Watch so Bluetooth is going near constantly.

WiFi is on since I have WiFi at work and at home and I have GPS set to battery saving.

Usually SOT is 25-35% of battery usage and PocketCasts is 20-25%. The rest is Android System, Bluetooth, Android OS, etc. at 7-10% each. Cell Standby is usually around 11%.

If I don't listen to podcasts and turn most things off then I can get 24 - 36 hours with maybe 2-3 hours SOT.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 17, 2015

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Edit: removed

datajosh fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 18, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

Not sure why I waited so long to use the Google Now launcher but drat I like it. Does my layout get backed up along with the rest of my apps? As in, if I switch to a new phone, will it re-create my layout when I tell it to use that launcher?
Yes it does.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hungry Computer posted:

I've seen/heard/read of this happening to all sorts of devices. My only guess is that the screen gets damaged in some microscopic way that leads to it really failing. I do know with tempered glass in other situations (like windows and the like) the glass is under a lot of internal stress that in just the right circumstances can result it in failing with just the littlest pressure.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Here's the cracked screen. Kinda looks like a hosed up 16 legged spider. At least the LCD and digitizer appear to be unharmed.

(click for huge)

Also I didn't appreaciate how much better the S6's camera is until I went back to the N5 for this shot.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

BoyBlunder posted:

Yes, it's Pujie Black.

Bought, thanks! The Moto 360+Droid Turbo are a wonderful combination.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

Here's the cracked screen. Kinda looks like a hosed up 16 legged spider. At least the LCD and digitizer appear to be unharmed.

(click for huge)

Also I didn't appreaciate how much better the S6's camera is until I went back to the N5 for this shot.

Sent you a PM about this

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

(click for huge)

Good grief. I guess the youtube video of the guy violently thrashing it on concrete without a case was an early attempt to trick users into getting Samsung'd.

It made the S6/Edge out to indestructible. Of course it hit the internet via a grainy 480p video just as the phone was released (and nobody had one yet).

Now, you gently lay it on a table and it explodes into a million shards of glass. Guess Squaretrade's scary video was true.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Samsung is obviously in cahoots with Big Case. :tinfoil:

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
Big Case is very powerful and their influences run deep.

They are basically The Illuminati of mobile devices.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Thermopyle posted:

I've seen/heard/read of this happening to all sorts of devices. My only guess is that the screen gets damaged in some microscopic way that leads to it really failing. I do know with tempered glass in other situations (like windows and the like) the glass is under a lot of internal stress that in just the right circumstances can result it in failing with just the littlest pressure.

Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13B5K_lAabw

Edit: I tried to post a youtube timestamped url but the forum keeps eating it. The relevant thing happens around 4:12.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
When the S3 was super popular I remember hearing a few times a month about people's phones spontaneously breaking while in their pockets or their car. I've heard it with the M7 and G2 as well and I'm betting it can happen to any device out there. Just a weird manufacturing issue.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hotsauce posted:

Good grief. I guess the youtube video of the guy violently thrashing it on concrete without a case was an early attempt to trick users into getting Samsung'd.

It made the S6/Edge out to indestructible. Of course it hit the internet via a grainy 480p video just as the phone was released (and nobody had one yet).

Now, you gently lay it on a table and it explodes into a million shards of glass. Guess Squaretrade's scary video was true.

Aren't the yields of that curved glass horrible in the first place? I'd imagine that the regular S6 is slightly more durable than the edge.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since upgrading my Nexus 4 to 5.1, I've noticed that it sometimes momentarily quits charging. I notice this when it's plugged into my computer and it'll unexpectedly play the "device disconnected" sound. However, the phone still claims it's charging, showing the lightning bolt in the battery meter. Any ideas what's going on?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
:siren: Deal alert :siren:

Refurb 32GB Dev Edition Moto X XT1060 (Verizon model) on sale for $150 / free shipping on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-X-Deve...9999&rmvSB=true

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Since upgrading my Nexus 4 to 5.1, I've noticed that it sometimes momentarily quits charging. I notice this when it's plugged into my computer and it'll unexpectedly play the "device disconnected" sound. However, the phone still claims it's charging, showing the lightning bolt in the battery meter. Any ideas what's going on?

Probably coincidence. The USB controller board on the 4 is notoriously prone to failing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Probably coincidence. The USB controller board on the 4 is notoriously prone to failing.

Is that on or the same as the daughter board? I replaced that around November because it wouldn't charge at all (I think).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Is that on or the same as the daughter board? I replaced that around November because it wouldn't charge at all (I think).

The USB controller is on the daughter board, yes. It might be the cable itself if it's just the data disconnecting and its still charging but it's hard to say considering most 4's die from USB failure.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

I didn't though. I said the phone can get 10+ hours of SoT, not that its something you would see under all use cases.

I've personally seen juuuust shy of 10 hours streaming Netflix over WiFi when I was trying to run the battery down when new. So, I could very easily see doing over that with local media without too much effort.

Well you mentioned how it would be very difficult to run it down during a day of work when you can get 10+ hours, so that's what it sounded like. Either way, the guy in question is in bad circumstances for any phone so he's only getting 4.5-5 hours in his case so that sucks.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I just bought a s6 edge cause it's shiny and I hated the battery life on my n4 and apps crashing. Still need to order a diztronic, I'm worried I'll break my phone if I keep it in my back pocket though (not many pockets wearing scrubs). Any tougher case recommendations? Squaretrade is kind of tempting me since I've never had a phone this fancy and seems like a way better deal than tmobile's $8 a month

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anandtech's review of the Galaxy S6/Edge is up

quote:

...the Galaxy S6 is the phone to beat right now.

...the display, camera, SoC, fingerprint sensor, battery life, and design are all strong points...

...the Galaxy S6 charges incredibly quickly when using the USB charger out of the box. However, the wireless charger is noticeably slower than the wired charger...

(regarding battery life) The Shannon 333 modem and Samsung’s other RF front-end components seem to be competitive with Qualcomm’s implementations, but given just how close WiFi and LTE battery life was with the Snapdragon 801 generation I suspect Qualcomm still holds an edge in average RF system power.

Overall, other than some small issues the user experience of the camera is solid and Samsung has managed to do a great job on improving the camera experience here. Compared to the HTC One M9, the Galaxy S6 has a much higher resolution preview with no visible frame rate issues and much better focus latency.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007
I know some of you guys look down on the OnePlus One and Cyanogenmod, but I just got a bunch of sandstone black 64GB OnePlus One invites for anyone interested:

https://account.oneplus.net/invite/claim/GLQI-K7B4-KBTI-YPEW
https://account.oneplus.net/invite/claim/GL0O-ASPK-O03J-QH4K
https://account.oneplus.net/invite/claim/GLU1-3SOA-ZAK7-QUYP
https://account.oneplus.net/invite/claim/GLK6-8TAZ-HSQL-9KJC

Do what you will.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Anyone updated a Nexus 4 to 5.1? I've delayed on going to 5.0 because of how many issues Lollipop has had, but I was hoping everything was running properly now.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Two things I'm most jealous of are the nicer camera and fingerprint sensor. Man I wish the N6 had the latter especially. Front facing speakers and larger screen are a decent tradeoff though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I guess with Smart Lock in the house, office, and car, I don't find myself caring so much about a lack of fingerprint unlock on the N6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

kitten smoothie posted:

I guess with Smart Lock in the house, office, and car, I don't find myself caring so much about a lack of fingerprint unlock on the N6.

Mine doesn't work well at all at my house and the pocket detection has worked zero times. But in theory you're totally right.