Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Kenshin posted:

Relevant to cultural appropriation conversations that happen often in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KJRRSB_XA

If she looks familiar, that is Amandla Stenberg, aka Rue in The Hunger Games

Real talk Good Hair is an awesome movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i was way behind on this thread but it sounds like B6 is the most polarizing poo poo to come out since whatever the last significant release was. also:

alansmithee posted:

lol if white people had any sense of guilt there'd be mass suicides all over the country.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Crumbletron posted:

We're there ever plans for Tha Tour pt. 2? Seems kinda weird to tack that on the original title

RHQ apparently wanted to work on his solo career a bit or something (in between being a Bond villain) so didn't want to do another rich gang album. Thugger kinda called him out for it ("bitch homie quan" lol).

Biggest problem I'm having with Barter 6 is kinda the same problem so much similar stuff has-it's just way uneven. There's some really amazing songs, then some meh junk. 56 Nights shits all over this (although that's a much darker album).

Yuzenn posted:

Azaelea Banks and J Cole get totally drowned out when they talk about cultural appropriation all the time.

But about Riff Raff? She couldn't be more right, that dude is performing some modern day blackface right there.....
Azalea kinda played herself. Her whole career now seems to consist of getting in twitter fights and posing naked (sometimes those things intersect). And I'm with you on Riff Raff 100% but lots of dudes here get of on minstrel poo poo so you're not gonna get much traction there. Also he kinda proved himself to be largely irrelevant so w/e.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...
Weird, it seems like everyone's feeling Future's 2015 tapes but me. Last year's Monster was great, but I haven't really enjoyed Beast Mode or 56 Nights all that much. When it comes to the latter, only a couple tracks off it have proven to have any staying power - March Madness and Purple Coming In.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Perpetual Ascent posted:

Weird, it seems like everyone's feeling Future's 2015 tapes but me. Last year's Monster was great, but I haven't really enjoyed Beast Mode or 56 Nights all that much. When it comes to the latter, only a couple tracks off it have proven to have any staying power - March Madness and Purple Coming In.

I was mixed on Monster/Beast Mode, but I've been really loving 56 Nights. Like I'd name the highlights for me but it's pretty much the whole tape. Think part of it is the length-it's 8 songs, most are medium length or smaller. Every thing just seems to pop, and before it can wear itself out there's a new song.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Young Thug: Chuck E Cheese I'm 'bout pizza and my rol' on. [whisper] I'm a gangster I don't dance baby, I poke.

Yo! NMD Raps: This poo poo Bangs.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

alansmithee posted:

I was mixed on Monster/Beast Mode, but I've been really loving 56 Nights. Like I'd name the highlights for me but it's pretty much the whole tape. Think part of it is the length-it's 8 songs, most are medium length or smaller. Every thing just seems to pop, and before it can wear itself out there's a new song.

Yeah. I was pretty into it when it first came out, but for some reason it didn't latch onto me like I'd hoped. I do like some other songs on there - Trap Niggas and the title track, especially.

Hell, I don't even know what the gently caress I like apparently. 56N may very well be better than B6, but I'm new to this whole Young Thug thing and what really draws me to it is how it comes across as an evolution of the sound he's been bringing the past year or two. I'm not in love with all of the songs on it, but some of them are so loving good that I just don't notice - Dream is my favorite Thug song already, I think.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Perpetual Ascent posted:

Yeah. I was pretty into it when it first came out, but for some reason it didn't latch onto me like I'd hoped. I do like some other songs on there - Trap Niggas and the title track, especially.

Hell, I don't even know what the gently caress I like apparently. 56N may very well be better than B6, but I'm new to this whole Young Thug thing and what really draws me to it is how it comes across as an evolution of the sound he's been bringing the past year or two. I'm not in love with all of the songs on it, but some of them are so loving good that I just don't notice - Dream is my favorite Thug song already, I think.

Not sure how much of his stuff you've listened to, but just in case you haven't definitely check 1017 Thug and last year's Rich Gang Tha Tour tapes. I still think those are both the best things he's done, easily. (although Just Might Be is undoubtedly one of his best songs)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I never really got into Beast Mode but 56 Nights is way better than I thought it would be at first. It's one of those things I go back to frequently for listens. Dunno how you could like Future and not Monster though :shrug:

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Not sure how much of his stuff you've listened to, but just in case you haven't definitely check 1017 Thug and last year's Rich Gang Tha Tour tapes. I still think those are both the best things he's done, easily. (although Just Might Be is undoubtedly one of his best songs)

I have listened to them actually, 'cause I've been following the thread for a while but just ventured into his music recently. It's funny, because I feel 1017 Thug is one of the weaker projects of his, but I think B6 is right up there with Tha Tour Pt. 1 as his best work so far.

And Tha Tour Pt. 2 was super underwhelming, please tell me I'm not alone in thinking this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJeK5xeyIRE

Like the only good song on the tape

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not up on old Thugger, first stop should be the ICFN tapes. He's got bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnauHk5b8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFKMS_rQvqI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4Y2lS8XFU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hrmm im so used to listening to young thug and rhq together that b6 sounds kinda empty without him so far

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

RHQ apparently wanted to work on his solo career a bit or something (in between being a Bond villain) so didn't want to do another rich gang album. Thugger kinda called him out for it ("bitch homie quan" lol).

Biggest problem I'm having with Barter 6 is kinda the same problem so much similar stuff has-it's just way uneven. There's some really amazing songs, then some meh junk. 56 Nights shits all over this (although that's a much darker album).

Azalea kinda played herself. Her whole career now seems to consist of getting in twitter fights and posing naked (sometimes those things intersect). And I'm with you on Riff Raff 100% but lots of dudes here get of on minstrel poo poo so you're not gonna get much traction there. Also he kinda proved himself to be largely irrelevant so w/e.

Azalea hosed up by taking a really solid and complicated complaint and using it to 100% advance her own buzz and career, the getting naked part completely undermines her whole argument and if there's one thing the Black community will demonize you for it's selling out. She's also very dark skinned which is already unpopular in the modeling and beauty world (another long winded topic for another thread).

And while yes, there are more people that get pretty offensive with their content, Riff Raff completely co-opted a stereotypically black persona dead rear end seriously and has a following like you wouldn't believe in this day and age. He's far from irrelevant since he is performing every week at pretty big venues for the next 3-4 months and it is sickening. He is culture vulturing at it's highest level and I'm surprised that people aren't as shocked as I am about it. Money talks and he has no shortage of people paying him to perform, make records and shoot expensive music videos. Macklemore I can at least respect at some level for the fact he's at least semi talented even though he's carried by Ryan Lewis's production, but he loves to totally ignore and forget to appreciate the culture he heavy handedly steals from all the drat time. Riff Raff though? He gets no such pass for his crap.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 17, 2015

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Don't think this has been posted yet but tunji made another banger a bit ago.
I hope he can make a consistent mixtape next time

https://soundcloud.com/raremp3s/moving

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
212 is still a good song though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Profondo Rosso posted:

barter 6 is cool and i like it but it certainly isn't as good as carter 1 through 3 and prob on par with carter 4. kinda disappointing? ill just keep listening to cherry bomb i guess

edit: even as good as carter 4 might be a stretch. for trying to make a sequel to one of (imo) the best rap album of series it really shouldn't just sound like a bunch of generic thug songs with birdman all over it. the tour tapes are better

No loving way.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Profondo Rosso posted:

Don't think this has been posted yet but tunji made another banger a bit ago.
I hope he can make a consistent mixtape next time

https://soundcloud.com/raremp3s/moving

I'm really into Tunji Ige, dude has something going.

Yuzenn posted:

Azalea hosed up by taking a really solid and complicated complaint and using it to 100% advance her own buzz and career, the getting naked part completely undermines her whole argument and if there's one thing the Black community will demonize you for it's selling out. She's also very dark skinned which is already unpopular in the modeling and beauty world (another long winded topic for another thread).

And while yes, there are more people that get pretty offensive with their content, Riff Raff completely co-opted a stereotypically black persona dead rear end seriously and has a following like you wouldn't believe in this day and age. He's far from irrelevant since he is performing every week at pretty big venues for the next 3-4 months and it is sickening. He is culture vulturing at it's highest level and I'm surprised that people aren't as shocked as I am about it. Money talks and he has no shortage of people paying him to perform, make records and shoot expensive music videos. Macklemore I can at least respect at some level for the fact he's at least semi talented even though he's carried by Ryan Lewis's production, but he loves to totally ignore and forget to appreciate the culture he heavy handedly steals from all the drat time. Riff Raff though? He gets no such pass for his crap.

Are you guys talking about Iggy Azalea or Azealia Banks?

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
If Iggy Azalea spoke out on black issues more I think rue from the hunger games would take offense to that as well.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Iggy Azalea the Dark Skinned Rapper.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

That song is amazing though :colbert:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
No the white Australian one, whichever one that is.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Thought of this song too

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm really into Tunji Ige, dude has something going.

Are you guys talking about Iggy Azalea or Azealia Banks?

The latter....mind fart on my behalf

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Iggy Banks

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yeah I don't know anything fits that profile as well as I'm God does. God damnit Clams. What's he up to these days anyway?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

The noise that thuggeriveli makes at 0:16 on Dome needs to be preserved by the library of congress for historical significance

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Wezlar posted:

That song is amazing though :colbert:

Yeah I'm God is amazing and was the moment Lil B revealed himself as The Based God.

The real answer is French Montana's career.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Clams would be nothing without lil b.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
barter 6 is just okay. I like a few songs off it. Not as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Yeah I'm God is amazing and was the moment Lil B revealed himself as The Based God.

paging a3ther to the thread, thats the french troll right??

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

temple posted:

barter 6 is just okay. I like a few songs off it. Not as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Honestly its not even my favorite tape to come out this week

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I don't regret the time I spent listening to Barter 6.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

alansmithee posted:

I still don't understand what is even remotely interesting about French Montana's music. Or how he got such a ridiculous rap name.

temple posted:

I'll agree with that. I thought it'd be a bit more upbeat but I actually enjoy almost all of it which considering my regular tastes in hiphop surprises even me. I've yet to find much by Future or Lil Wayne that I really like so I'm not sure why I enjoy Barter 6, but maybe my tastes are changing/expanding.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 18, 2015

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Kenshin posted:

I still don't understand what is even remotely interesting about French Montana's music.

thats ok, you don't have to

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Yuzenn posted:

I guess its a pretty good discussion start though, Azaelea Banks and J Cole get totally drowned out when they talk about cultural appropriation all the time.
What has J Cole said?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
T Pain is sitting next to me on this flight. He's playing some kind of card based fighting game on his phone. That's your TPain Update.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

bows1 posted:

T Pain is sitting next to me on this flight. He's playing some kind of card based fighting game on his phone. That's your TPain Update.

Ask him to buy you a drank.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I would but he is very into his cell phone games. Also, drinks are free.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
In other news Pusha's verse on Runaway is still v good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

bows1 posted:

In other news Pusha's verse on Runaway is still v good.

The whole album is stacked with some GOAT feature verses.