Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
These pod casts are worth listening to http://www.ejscott.com/ej-podcast-063-charlie-cox/ interview with Charlie Cox before Daredevil was released so is spoiler free.

Interview with Steven Deknight after Daredevil was released http://www.ejscott.com/ej-podcast-066-with-daredevils-steven-deknight/

Richard Gere was wanted by some of the production team for Kingpin.

Cheese Bridge Area fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's a scene where Matt holds her hand briefly, and it occurred to me that he could almost certainly smell the GSR on her hands and know that she's fired a gun. But how would he call her out on it. And possibly she's just been going to range because she's scared. It's neat because the three of them KNOW that their secrets are tearing them apart, but it's their fear the prevents them from coming clean with each other.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a good point and another perfect example of how Matt's powers are inconsistently portrayed in the series (and often downright ignored) and only featured when it's convenient to the plot. I hadn't thought of that but you're right.

Doesn't he come out and say that he has to concentrate on specific things in order to filter out all of the incoming information? He doesn't just instantly sense everything. It's like being in a crowded room where everyone is talking but you only want to hear one conversation. They make it a point in the show to show you when he's doing that, but he isn't doing it all of the time.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Who was Gao supposed to be anyway

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Oh yeah, one thing that our "barriers to season 2" speculation has missed is that the MCU might snatch them up.

I honestly kinda doubt this based on Daredevil's content alone. Unless Marvel is willing to eat a potential PR problem they're probably gonna ghettoize the Defenders shows from the rest of the franchise; putting Daredevil in Infinity War is gonna make kids interested in MCU Daredevil, and when little Timmy sees a head get smashed in with a bowling ball poo poo could very definitely go down.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The whole Marvel Netflix/MCU franchise is going to get me buying comics again like a huge nerd. Thank god I only read Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and not a bunch of mainstream stuff...

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I really expect that there's an item in MCU actors' contracts that allows someone in the movies to say "We need every hero on earth to fight this threat", and everybody makes a cameo all at once.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ravel posted:

Presumably something tying in to the Iron Fist mythos.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snak posted:

The whole Marvel Netflix/MCU franchise is going to get me buying comics again like a huge nerd. Thank god I only read Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and not a bunch of mainstream stuff...

There is a connection

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Pretty good foreshadowing: Bill Fisk hammering a nail into the top of his head on a campaign sign

I also like how on Urich's board Fisk was represented with a pinned King card. :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

There is a connection

I'm well aware that TMNT was basically a parody of Daredevil originally. It's why they fight The Foot clan of ninjas...

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Ravel posted:

Lazy guess is Crane Mother

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bioalchemist posted:

What.... how? :stare:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Gilok posted:

You know, I was kind of wondering about that. We never saw that guy's face and I wondered briefly if that might be their version of Bullseye, since he was an assassin working for Kingpin. His role was kind of pivotal to the storyline and it was odd to me that we never found out anything about that sniper at all. Of course I was actively looking for that character to show up.

I was thinking about it, the only thing that dissuaded me is that the cop guy lived, and Bullseye wouldn't make that mistake. Still it would awesome if it was and he shows up in Season 2.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ravel posted:

I'm surprised that Matt couldn't immediately tell what Karen had done considered all the things he might be able to smell on her including Wesley and a fired gun. Not to mention her obvious distress.

I think the costume did immediately make the whole show a bit campy but then again there was literally a scene where an old woman threw Matt across the room before flying into outer space.

I can't remember, how much time passed between her being kidnapped and killing Wesley and the next time she ran into Matt? Depending on how long and what she did, it's possible there wouldn't have been much there for him to sense. Also does he have Wesley's sent memorized? I'd think that with all the various stenches that, from his perspective, cling to everyone personal odors are probably closer to the little things you only notice about people you're close to. I mean you can only smell so much trace fecal matter on everyone before you refuse to delve so closely on how they smell.

I'd think his recognition of people would be more based off of personal sounds and such. Like heartbeats, breathing patters, favorite watches, walking rhythms, etc.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Steve Yun posted:

What.... how? :stare:

I can't imagine what that would've looked like.

That said, Vincent D'Onofrio is easily one of Marvel's best "gets," as actors go. His casting was what made me invested in Daredevil.

David Tennant and Krysten Ritter are also super great choices. I'm not familiar with Mike Colter, but Netflix Marvel's casting choices have earned a lot of good will with me, so I'm in.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Marvel's casting choices across all of their properties have been pretty amazing overall, with the arguable exception of Ed Norton.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This was fantastic, and so brutal.

I hated Stick, "grrr, why won't this literal child be a soldier, he wants a stupid dad, what a baby grrrr", worst rear end in a top hat mentor ever

The "buddy finds out that the MC is a superhero and feels betrayed" scene was pretty straightforward but I liked that Matt also started crying instead of the usual stonefacedness that usually happens.

Keeping his identity from Karen is pretty dumb and I predict dumb drama.

Dude that made the costume said it was unfinished, does that mean it will eventually look like the comic one?

Whens season 2?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sad about Wesley because I was hoping he was really Bullseye the whole time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rocksicles posted:

Also Netflix isn't free, nor has everyone the internet for streaming.

Personally i viewed it both ways.

Netflix gives a free month. That's what I used.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I'm up to episode 12 of the show and I think its been good, but I can't really handle the Kingpin actor. His voice is really weird, and his cadence and inflection are unsettling in a bad way. Also his mandarin is terrible, but not too many people would get that.

I'm still catching up on this thread (page 19/49, holy poo poo), but just came across this. Fisk's speech, his pauses and cadence, etc, reminded me of someone, and I only just now figured it out. Does DiNofrio's performance ad Kingpin remind anyone else of DeVito's performance as the Penguin in Batman Returns?

I'm assuming Gao is Crane Mother, the ruler of Ku'n Zi. The emblem on her heroin is remarkably similar to the emblems on Iron Fist's and Davos the Steel Serpent's chests.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 17, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gyges posted:

I can't remember, how much time passed between her being kidnapped and killing Wesley and the next time she ran into Matt? Depending on how long and what she did, it's possible there wouldn't have been much there for him to sense. Also does he have Wesley's sent memorized? I'd think that with all the various stenches that, from his perspective, cling to everyone personal odors are probably closer to the little things you only notice about people you're close to. I mean you can only smell so much trace fecal matter on everyone before you refuse to delve so closely on how they smell.

I'd think his recognition of people would be more based off of personal sounds and such. Like heartbeats, breathing patters, favorite watches, walking rhythms, etc.

He knew Wesley by the ticking of his watch. That's how he followed him on the streets, and how he knew he was in the courtroom both times in Epsiode 3.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
This is somewhat minor on the grand scheme of things, but it's refreshing to see a cast of actors that look and dress like actual everyday people. It makes them much more relatable than say the cast of Arrow/Flash where everyone looks like they stepped out of an Express catalog. Same for their living arrangements and the setwork, too.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 17, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bioalchemist posted:

These pod casts are worth listening to http://www.ejscott.com/ej-podcast-063-charlie-cox/ interview with Charlie Cox before Daredevil was released so is spoiler free.

Interview with Steven Deknight after Daredevil was released http://www.ejscott.com/ej-podcast-066-with-daredevils-steven-deknight/

Christ, how does someone with such an awful audio setup get such good guests? I had to run a noise removal on that second one just to listen to it, that's like sub-iPhone recorder quality.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

AbsolutelySane posted:

Doesn't he come out and say that he has to concentrate on specific things in order to filter out all of the incoming information? He doesn't just instantly sense everything. It's like being in a crowded room where everyone is talking but you only want to hear one conversation. They make it a point in the show to show you when he's doing that, but he isn't doing it all of the time.

Yeah wanted to chime in on this and say any scent left from the gun she fired would have been really obscured by the heavy scrubbing she gave herself in the shower afterwards, followed by all the alcohol she was drowning herself in, above all the other junk girls do to smell nice normally. If there was anything left to detect I'm sure he wouldn't have picked it up without trying hard to screen for it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah wanted to chime in on this and say any scent left from the gun she fired would have been really obscured by the heavy scrubbing she gave herself in the shower afterwards, followed by all the alcohol she was drowning herself in, above all the other junk girls do to smell nice normally. If there was anything left to detect I'm sure he wouldn't have picked it up without trying hard to screen for it.

Yeah, Matt clearly suspects something went down, but it seems entirely based on her evasive behavior. The specificity or her having fired a gun isn't part of it, I don't think.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Christ, how does someone with such an awful audio setup get such good guests? I had to run a noise removal on that second one just to listen to it, that's like sub-iPhone recorder quality.

He's Deborah Ann Woll's boyfriend.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

AbsolutelySane posted:

He does. That's fair.

One thing I haven't seen anyone bring up is Melvin Potter (The Gladiator). Like most of the cast, he was really good. When Melvin tossed the circular saw blades at Matt when he went to get his costume built, it was a clever recall to the Melvin's Gladiator persona.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
For some reason I've always disliked Richard Gere in everything, so I'm glad THAT didn't happen.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Musluk posted:

Wonder if this is because of pricing for Brazil and uni students in UK/US.

Yeah, Netflix seems to just blindly use the same price everywhere. So it's still ~$8 USD per month in Brazil, despite them having a fifth of the USA's average income. This made for an amusing article when Netflix was made "available" in Cuba to the, like, 3 people who could both afford it and had the internet/media setup to watch it.

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a good point and another perfect example of how Matt's powers are inconsistently portrayed in the series (and often downright ignored) and only featured when it's convenient to the plot. I hadn't thought of that but you're right.

Is that when she had her Hot Lady Shower Scene? Scrubbed away all the smells.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

This is somewhat minor on the grand scheme of things, but it's refreshing to see a cast of actors that look and dress like actual everyday people. It makes them much more relatable than say the cast of Arrow/Flash where everyone looks like they stepped out of an Express catalog. Same for their living arrangements and the setwork, too.

To be fair, Arrow features multiple billionaires and their families/friends while Matt and Foggy are poor lawyers, one of whom is blind.

Longbaugh01 posted:

For some reason I've always disliked Richard Gere in everything, so I'm glad THAT didn't happen.

I don't know, watching him get punched in the nuts by Louis Gossett, Jr. was entertaining.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

AbsolutelySane posted:

I don't know, watching him get punched in the nuts by Louis Gossett, Jr. was entertaining.

I don't like Gere either but Primal Fear was pretty good.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Regarding 1x02:
The hallway thing was a single shot, which was pretty amazing. I'm curious about if they had one Daredevil through all of that, or if there was a series of stuntmen hiding in each room and trading off every time Daredevil entered and left one of the side rooms. That seems like it'd be hell for a single guy to do all of that, but I know very little about how movies/TV is made.

Also, regarding 1x13
How dark is it that the climactic final battle of the series is Daredevil cornering Fisk in a dark alley and beating him with a pipe?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

demota posted:

Regarding 1x02:
The hallway thing was a single shot, which was pretty amazing. I'm curious about if they had one Daredevil through all of that, or if there was a series of stuntmen hiding in each room and trading off every time Daredevil entered and left one of the side rooms. That seems like it'd be hell for a single guy to do all of that, but I know very little about how movies/TV is made.

At one point early on in the fight they swap Charlie Cox out for his stunt double, then later on towards the end he gets swapped back in.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Oh my god did he just decapitate a guy with a car door

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

grapecritic posted:

Oh my god did he just decapitate a guy with a car door

Now go back and watch that scene, but turn on the audio descriptions for the blind - then close your eyes and let the magic happen.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't like Gere either but Primal Fear was pretty good.

The best thing about The Jackal was the humor derived from hearing Gere's appalling Irish? accent.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Richard Gere's best role was as himself in "Make Love The Bruce Campbell Way", and he didn't even voice himself in the audio book. That's not even a knock on him honestly, since I've barely ever seen him in anything so I've no real opinion on him, it's just a really fun book made better when it's read by Bruce Campbell.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ravel posted:

I'm surprised that Matt couldn't immediately tell what Karen had done considered all the things he might be able to smell on her including Wesley and a fired gun. Not to mention her obvious distress.

I think the costume did immediately make the whole show a bit campy but then again there was literally a scene where an old woman threw Matt across the room before flying into outer space.

Before ever seeing Matt she got home, got incredibly drunk, took a shower, got even more drunk, slept, and went around and did things for a while before he had a chance to get a whiff - I'm pretty sure at that point 'fired a gun' wasn't a smell he noticed. I don't think he's even just been able to flat out smell which people a person has been in contact with either, or even recognize most people he doesn't know well by smell alone, even in the comics, unless the person had some really distinguishing and obvious smell for some reason (like Mr Bad Cologne).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He smelled Foggy's lunch from three days ago.