Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Terper posted:

How could she be? Dude's in Eren. Her dad never had the rear end in a top hat genes*, those were all his memories she saw.

*I mean, technically.

Coincidentally, "Dudes in Eren" is the title of my next Comiket doujinshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Eren definitely has some rear end in a top hat genes

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Eren definitely has some rear end in a top hat genes

His biggest problem is rear end in a top hat Jeans

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No I'm pretty sure he wears khakis.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
So we all know how this is going down, right?

Baron Harkeren is gonna get iced by his sister/great-*granddaughter and then all the Titans are gonna latch onto Historia who will become the God-Empress of the world

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Alternatively, all the Titans merge with grape ape to become the Time Devourer and so the gang's gotta go across dimensions to stop Lavos

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

visceril posted:

So we all know how this is going down, right?

Baron Harkeren is gonna get iced by his sister/great-*granddaughter and then all the Titans are gonna latch onto Historia who will become the God-Empress of the world

Can Jean wear the eagle shaped thong?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It'll turn out that the Titans were actually upholding the natural order of the world and killing them all starts the rapture.

Historia's last line makes me think she's getting possessed already

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think she's just knows the role she's going to have to play now that they've knocked over the rest of the royal family. The people are more likely to fall in line if they spin this as family politics rather than a new military government.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Historia's last line makes me think she's getting possessed already

Possessed by what though? Her dad didn't didn't have the first king's will in him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

She's just showing some ambition is all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

She's just showing some ambition is all.

Yeah, this. Basically by doing this she is showing that she is different from Reiss and the people who came before. She isn't hiding in the shadows while the people under her rule are being massacred. Shes out in the open, taking charge and risking her life by jumping into the front lines to protect people. That's a 180 from the royal family's previous mo and the first king's will.

Basically she's being a badass.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is there a point to announcing you're the legitimate heir to the secret king nobody knows about? I mean don't you just sound like a crazy person?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Is there a point to announcing you're the legitimate heir to the secret king nobody knows about? I mean don't you just sound like a crazy person?

I don't know. Maybe it's better to point out being an legitimate heir than a fake one?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Krinkle posted:

She just murdered the Colossal Titan's Kentucky fried brother. People are going to listen anyway.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Erwin & Friends are gonna declare her Queen in a couple days anyway. They might think she's cuckoo right now but then they'll be like "oh daaayum"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

She just murdered the Colossal Titan's Kentucky fried brother. People are going to listen anyway.

"I decree chicken nuggets for all!"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Darth Walrus posted:

Truly, Rod Reiss ist das Essen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Say Nothing posted:

"I decree chicken nuggets for all!"

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Truly, Rod Reiss ist das Essen.
Essenjetzmussen!

precision posted:

lit. "[I] must consume [it] right now"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jackard posted:

Essenjetzmussen!

Bless you.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Doesn't everybody know the king is a fake/puppet by now?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

RBX posted:

Doesn't everybody know the king is a fake/puppet by now?

I can't remember at all what the people have been kept abreast of. I think they probably know there's a military coup going on.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
I just realized something.

Eren's dad looks really Asian, and he clearly had links to the "outcast"community, and lived and worked a lot with the people at the furthest edges of the Walls even in the Wall society.

Asians and other ethnic minorities are immune to the memory stripping power of the First's King's power. Eren's dad might have been from a line of doctors kept around to preserve medical knowledge that the First King's ideology wanted out of the hands of society as a whole, which would explain his extraordinary medical skills and links to the rulers of the Walls. And he knew Historia's older sister, the one with power over memory.

Anyhow, there are memories stored in the basement.

e: They also know Historia, or her allies, command a Titan. I'm pretty sure that is as big as news to them as it was to Eren and Co. when he transformed.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 15, 2015

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
You know, that's a pretty solid piece of speculation. We've seen Eren and Historia unlock memories by touch. It's possible there's an idiot-savant Titan chained inside of the basement.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
You know, I don't really care about the basement too much. It's gonna be the standard "These answers raise only more questions" type of reveal.

What I really want to see is Mikasa's tattoo. It's going to be an American flag or a Crips symbol or something like that. Just to gently caress with the readers.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Nike Swoosh.

EDIT: I actually think the tattoo has been retconned out. The anime didn't mention it at all - I think it was replaced with an vaccination or something.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 15, 2015

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Squidster posted:

Nike Swoosh.

EDIT: I actually think the tattoo has been retconned out. The anime didn't mention it at all - I think it was replaced with an vaccination or something.

A cross-stich pattern, I think. Too bad, even as a dropped plot thread I think that a tattoo suits Mikasa better.

One of my favorite parts about reading the manga is seeing how it evolves as the anime becomes a second-draft of some minor details. For instance, in the manga it was Armin's parents that died in the so-called Reclamation of Wall Maria, but in the anime, Armin's parents had already died trying to go to the outside world and his grandfather had died in the Reclamation instead. Then in a recent chapter in the manga, when Eren was naming all the people who had died because of the Titan powers Grisha put in him, he only mentioned Armin's grandfather.

That probably means that in the montage scene of all the people that Military Policeman had tortured and killed, the young couple who were were trying to go over a wall in a hot air balloon were probably Armin's parents. :negative:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They say everything in the chapter, the common people think the military is trying to show off its power, and remember the king being harmless compared to them.

But then everyone saw a titan peering over the walls and the military killing it.

Should be pretty easy to spin: titans can be manufactured from humans, counter-revolutionaries activated this secret weapon as a last ditch effort to regain power, and scouting legion killed it and saved thousands in the process. If anything, this solidifies the power of the scouting legion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

But then everyone saw a titan peering over the walls and the military killing it.

Should be pretty easy to spin: titans can be manufactured from humans, counter-revolutionaries activated this secret weapon as a last ditch effort to regain power, and scouting legion killed it and saved thousands in the process. If anything, this solidifies the power of the scouting legion.

There isn't even a huge amount of spin there - that's pretty much what happened.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

My guess is Mikasa's tattoo would have shown up on Kenny and Levi but that would have spoiled any surprise or been more awkward so it was just ignored.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

My guess is Mikasa's tattoo would have shown up on Kenny and Levi but that would have spoiled any surprise or been more awkward so it was just ignored.

I think it was from the other, Asian side of her family.

I kind of wonder if the Ackerman thing weren't originally from being Asian, but then the criticisms of the series' nationalist subtext early on caused him to rethink that element. It's certainly one of the places Isayama ends up giving the middle finger to anyone trying to read the series as fascist.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

I think it was from the other, Asian side of her family.

I kind of wonder if the Ackerman thing weren't originally from being Asian, but then the criticisms of the series' nationalist subtext early on caused him to rethink that element. It's certainly one of the places Isayama ends up giving the middle finger to anyone trying to read the series as fascist.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But I suspect the genetic superpowers deal in the story will eventually be revealed to be because of genetic engineering and not because of racist caricatures. The Ackerman family's super strength will be because the king needed super powerful bodyguards. Hell with how Isayama answers pretty much every question you could ask so far in the series I'll go so far to suspect every human in the story will have genetic engineering. If the 3dm gear worked in real life you wouldn't be able to stop, would have to use goggles, and would pass out / kill yourself from the extreme speeds. This will probably be handwaved away by saying everyone has genetic manipulation that allow the this superhuman ability to use them that seems mundane.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But I suspect the genetic superpowers deal in the story will eventually be revealed to be because of genetic engineering and not because of racist caricatures. The Ackerman family's super strength will be because the king needed super powerful bodyguards. Hell with how Isayama answers pretty much every question you could ask so far in the series I'll go so far to suspect every human in the story will have genetic engineering. If the 3dm gear worked in real life you wouldn't be able to stop, would have to use goggles, and would pass out / kill yourself from the extreme speeds. This will probably be handwaved away by saying everyone has genetic manipulation that allow the this superhuman ability to use them that seems mundane.

I'm not sure Mikasa actually has super strength. That one time with the knife seems to have been Eren giving her a boost with the Coordinate. I mean, she's hella strong, yeah, but not super strong.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not sure Mikasa actually has super strength. That one time with the knife seems to have been Eren giving her a boost with the Coordinate. I mean, she's hella strong, yeah, but not super strong.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1j4fR4BTHAw/VGAgxXYE43I/AAAAAAAAUSM/JP9X092dM24/034.png?imgmax=3000

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hqCN4QfaWOE/VGAg3FPeoAI/AAAAAAAAUSU/8SsIN91-0VA/035.png?imgmax=3000

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

It's been established that Eren gained his power AFTER that event.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

There's a new live-action movie trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njH4Y1UBucw

The way they're not showing a single instance of 3dmg in use is, uh, not a good sign.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SchrodingersCat posted:

It's been established that Eren gained his power AFTER that event.

He obviously had the true power inside all along.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Squidster posted:

The way they're not showing a single instance of 3dmg in use is, uh, not a good sign.

I guess, but i thought the Colossal titan looked pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Squidster posted:

The fact Hanji has a goddamn STINGER launcher as well as an RPG-7 kind of has a lot of weird implications. It seems like it's going to be, technologically, a big difference.