Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

He smelled Foggy's lunch from three days ago.

I was thinking about that during that scene, and I'm not sure that's true. He knows what Foggy ate for lunch three days ago, but it could be just because he remembered smelling it then. But that implication is definitely there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
At that point, why lie?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phylodox posted:

At that point, why lie?

Foggy hadn't brushed his teeth or changed his clothes. He's a mess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

At that point, why lie?

I didn't mean it in the sense that he was lying. if Foggy ate lunch by himself 3 days ago, and has no reason to believe Matt knew what he ate, it's still an example of Matt's invasion of privacy and still demonstrates Matt's super powers. Maybe we are supposed to belief he can tell what people ate for lunch three days ago. That's fine. I just think there was enough ambiguity in that specific example that it's not clear cut.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

I didn't mean it in the sense that he was lying. if Foggy ate lunch by himself 3 days ago, and has no reason to believe Matt knew what he ate, it's still an example of Matt's invasion of privacy and still demonstrates Matt's super powers. Maybe we are supposed to belief he can tell what people ate for lunch three days ago. That's fine. I just think there was enough ambiguity in that specific example that it's not clear cut.

No dude, he wasn't lying or exaggerating. He was literally saying he could smell his food. You people come up with the weirdest things.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Foggy might just not clean himself or his clothes as well as Karen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You guys are ignoring context. Matt isn't trying to highlight Foggy's slovenly lifestyle. He's trying to impress upon him the extent of his abilities. Given that, the odds are that Matt was able to smell gunpowder residue on Karen and chose not to pursue the subject, either because he respected her privacy, figured she'd tell him in her own time, or because he was preoccupied with his own myriad problems.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope Matt at least gets people to get checked by their doctor when he smells their cancer.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Christ, how does someone with such an awful audio setup get such good guests? I had to run a noise removal on that second one just to listen to it, that's like sub-iPhone recorder quality.

It's weird how many big podcasts have terrible audio quality sometimes. I dunno what the deal is, 'cause audio is all it is, you'd think they wouldn't mess it up so bad so often.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

No dude, he wasn't lying or exaggerating. He was literally saying he could smell his food. You people come up with the weirdest things.

But he didn't say he could smell his food. He said he knew what he ate for lunch three days ago. Is there an implication that he can tell by smell what Foggy ate three days ago? Yes. Is there any hard evidence, to us, the viewer, that Matt Murdock is able to smell what someone had for lunch three days ago? No. That's all I'm saying. Normally, poo poo like this wouldn't matter. But this is a comic book discussion, which inevitably will at some point involve discussing the specific nature of what Daredevil can and cannot do. So I was just pointing out that the line of reasoning "Showering won't stop Matt from smelling gunshot residue based on the fact that Matt can still smell what you ate three days ago" is making a lot of assumptions.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Phylodox posted:

At one point early on in the fight they swap Charlie Cox out for his stunt double, then later on towards the end he gets swapped back in.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't even think about it watching the scene. Obviously there's a lot of stunt double work in the series, but for whatever reason I always saw it as Charlie Cox doing sick parkour and standing flips and whatnot. Guess that means they were doing their job!

The other Marvel Netflix series have a lot to live up to, Daredevil pretty much knocked it out of the park.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
This was probably mentioned before but I love how the front page of the newspaper in 1x13 is literally a comic book cover
Newspaper(mild spoiler)
Cover

I just love Maleev's stuff, glad he's getting some recognition

neosloth fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 18, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

superstepa posted:

This was probably mentioned before but I love how the front page of the newspaper in 1x13 is literally a comic book cover
link (kind of a spoiler)

I just love Maleev's stuff, he is probably my favorite comic book artist. I'm glad he got some recognition

Can you link the actual cover? I knew they were playing off the comic-book art style as an "artists rendition" and really liked it. I didn't know it was a real Daredevil cover.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Snak posted:

Can you link the actual cover? I knew they were playing off the comic-book art style as an "artists rendition" and really liked it. I didn't know it was a real Daredevil cover.

I edited it in, just took me a couple of minutes to find. Here's some of his other stuff:

neosloth fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 18, 2015

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

BiggerBoat posted:

Jackie Chan?

Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat 1995?

Edit: meaning that was a western martial arts film with an Asian lead.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Not enough Leland love going on up in here.

"What did she say?"
"She quoted a fortune cookie or some mystical poo poo"

It was like he saw the end costume early in the process and thought "this is going to be loving terrible so I'm going to not give a poo poo and look annoyed at everything" and it just happened to turn out incredible which makes his acting even funnier

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

"What did she say?"

It was like he saw the end costume early in the process and thought "this is going to be loving terrible so I'm going to not give a poo poo and look annoyed at everything" and it just happened to turn out incredible which makes his acting even funnier

I like the bit in which he tried to hold the Kingpin hostage by making a rational argument.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tony Stark could probably gently caress over Fisk with an hour of computer hacking or some poo poo. He really is a jerk.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

"What did she say?"

I love when Daredevil confronts him in the parking garage, he just tases him, calls him an rear end in a top hat, and drives off. Doesn't kick him while he's on the ground or try to kill him or anything, or try to get any sort of payback for the troubles he has caused. He just gets annoyed with him.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

I was thinking about that during that scene, and I'm not sure that's true. He knows what Foggy ate for lunch three days ago, but it could be just because he remembered smelling it then. But that implication is definitely there...

Maybe Foggy was just blowin it up in there and he could figure out the food from that.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Maybe Foggy was just blowin it up in there and he could figure out the food from that.

Or just bad breath and poor oral hygiene, maybe.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This is brilliant.

I finished watching last night and I think my only complaint is that this show ruins all other tv superhero shows for me now. I've been able to enjoy Arrow and The Flash for all their faults, but man now they are just too much.

I think the suit is just fine.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014
Just finished watching the show a few hours back. Reeeeeally great. Best thing out of the MCU yet, yadda yadda.
I like the costume as it stands, but mainly from the standpoint that's it's pretty obviously meant to be just a step above his first costume, y'know? It looks solid for its role.

Also, on that note, could someone get a gif of that part where Melvin Potter's hella stoked about his Yoohoo? :allears:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SomeIdiot posted:

Just finished watching the show a few hours back. Reeeeeally great. Best thing out of the MCU yet, yadda yadda.
I like the costume as it stands, but mainly from the standpoint that's it's pretty obviously meant to be just a step above his first costume, y'know? It looks solid for its role.

Also, on that note, could someone get a gif of that part where Melvin Potter's hella stoked about his Yoohoo? :allears:

Speaking of that, they did a pretty good job keeping the product placement low-key in this show. I never even notice it anyway unless it's really obscene (it usually just makes things look real to me; stupid fake brands can stand out just as bad) but I haven't seen anybody complain about it here. There was some Reese's stuff at one point too, like an ad in a browser or something. I hope they brought in some good money 'cause hey, these guys fuckin' deserve it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Was there ever anything to implicate Gau in poisoning Fisk's girl or was that all just Leland blustering? I'm not sure it matters, but if they left it completely ambiguous and I'm not just dumb that's really cool.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

kater posted:

Was there ever anything to implicate Gau in poisoning Fisk's girl or was that all just Leland blustering? I'm not sure it matters, but if they left it completely ambiguous and I'm not just dumb that's really cool.

Leland and Gao arranged it together to take out Vanessa. They intimate as much just before Gao leaves for mystical wherever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

Speaking of that, they did a pretty good job keeping the product placement low-key in this show. I never even notice it anyway unless it's really obscene (it usually just makes things look real to me; stupid fake brands can stand out just as bad) but I haven't seen anybody complain about it here. There was some Reese's stuff at one point too, like an ad in a browser or something. I hope they brought in some good money 'cause hey, these guys fuckin' deserve it.

Only one I really noticed was the Microsoft tablet early on because I already watch for those now thanks to Arrow where it's hilariously blatant. Maybe the phones were windows phones too? Not sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Only one I really noticed was the Microsoft tablet early on because I already watch for those now thanks to Arrow where it's hilariously blatant. Maybe the phones were windows phones too? Not sure.

I think Foggy's phone had the bright colour back that MS's Lumia line normally have, yeah.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gaz-L posted:

I think Foggy's phone had the bright colour back that MS's Lumia line normally have, yeah.

If only giant corporations paid out more. They could've gotten Hawaii 5-0 product placement.

"Going home? To China?"

"Far further than that...fortunately, I have my Lumia 940 on the Verizon Network. Not even the Steel Serpent can defeat the user experience of Windows 10 on Verizon's expansive network!"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

"Foggy I can tell what you ate three days ago, a Subway sandwich made anyway you wanted it"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

After seeing the first image of the Daredevil black suit and mask, my first thought was, "That looks dumb", followed by, "It reminds me of the Dread Pirate Roberts...".

Once I saw it in action, though, it looked pretty good. I also like his red suit.

As for the phones, for the most part, it looked like everyone had Android or Windows phones. I think I only saw one or two iPhones. And, of course, various flip phones. "Yo, Matt! Where you at? BOOST!".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not had time to collect my thoughts until now. I was slightly annoyed by Netflix changing the show's tile here in the UK, don't know if it happened elsewhere but initially it was the title and the image from the billboard ads of Matt proudly showing his busted knuckles, but around Saturday it was switched to one of him in the costume, which undermined the reveal a bit.

I think the main thing is that there didn't seem to be any weak performances or under-realised characters, I found myself really liking Leland. Neither Foggy nor Karen had the problems I thought they might, both proving to be far from useless. Karen has stuff to deal with, but doesn't want saving by anyone else, and Foggy is far from an oblivious dofus forever failing to see evidence of Matt's sideline work. His episode when he finds out was incredible character work, and I liked how how straight away he said lying to Karen was a big deal, and it really made you buy this was someone who found the entire relationship between him and Matt was not as he thought.

I'm sure there's been talk of a second season, and they'd be crazy not to, I think. By doing complete season releases they can dodge oversaturation. And with the themes they deal with, I think Bullseye has to be a dead-cert to show up. Shame and guilt is a recurring theme, and Bullseye is prideful. Really want to see what they could do with a projectile based fight, and the costume should be good too. I figure he'd start as a hired gun sent to kill Daredevil, but after being beaten a few time he turns into someone primarily motivated by a desire to beat and antagonise Daredevil, up to getting a costume made.

I might watch again with the audio description on, that was really interesting and well-done, and I want to hear the description of the costume reveal. It was also interesting to see all the aids for the blind in the show, I had no idea there were mechanical braille things like that for using computers, and the simplified smartphone interface that announces callers. I'm guessing there was a deal with Android, everyone seemed to have really big displays that you could see the OS on.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Eh! Frank posted:

I love when Daredevil confronts him in the parking garage, he just tases him, calls him an rear end in a top hat, and drives off. Doesn't kick him while he's on the ground or try to kill him or anything, or try to get any sort of payback for the troubles he has caused. He just gets annoyed with him.

It was a great payoff to his "I'm getting my stun gun out of storage" line, too. I was devastated when we lost Leland.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's okay, there's always Leland Jr. who I sincerely hope is played by Eric Roberts.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Finished watching this yesterday. Amazing show. I'm in love with Karen Page. And also Foggy.

The only thing I found jarring was the transition from episode 1 to episode 2. When Matt was found in the dumpster, I thought I accidentally skipped an episode or something. It was really bizarre that they didn't include anything about him fighting the Russians and losing. It was just him hearing the kid being kidnapped at the end of episode 1, and then ending in the dumpster.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I finished it last night myself. A few random observations and questions:

- Count me in as not liking the costume. It looked like a repurposed version of the Captain America suit and took me out of the moment. I much prefer the Affleck suit. I thought it looked kind of goofy. Cap's costume doesn;t bother me because it's supposed to look goofy and cheesy.
- The last episode was probably my least favorite one. The final fight was so loving over the top it had me rolling my eyes. I get that Matt (and Wilson) can take a terrific beating but Matt especially should have been loving dead at that point.
- How did Fisk go from "I'm laying low and hiding in the shadows" to having half the FBI, the police force and the local SWAT teams totally on his side and in on his plan when he got sprung from the police transport on his way to jail? He only had a few minutes before he realized the gig was up and he used those to give Vanessa the ring. If felt like the "Gordon is alive, Dent set a trap" scene in the TDK.
- I was really bummed that they killed Ben Urich and Leland Owlsley, two characters that they could really use in future seasons. I loved Leland's character but didn't like they made him too old to be The Owl.
- The acting in this series is just great. I can't think of a single weak link. Even when the script is weak, which isn't often, the actors still manage to sell it. Urich, Matt, Fisk, Karen, Vanessa, Owlsely, Wesley, Foggy, Stick are all very well portrayed. Cox, Curtis-Hall and D'Onofrio are just fantastic.
- I could have dealt with a FEW less kung fu battles and more street fights. Maybe even fewer fights in general and a little more courtroom stuff. Everyone in this loving movie knows martial arts and poo poo. Even a lot of the mooks. Almost all of the fights are chop sockey and over the top brutal.
- I was glad they didn't get too much into The Hand and all of the mystical poo poo. It might fit eventually but would have been too much in the context of season 1.
- I liked the various easter eggs, callbacks and innuendos the show used to pay homage to the comics and to characters we never see. Melvin Potter throwing the saw blade and "whatever happened to that Greek chick?", for example.

That sounds like a lot of negative poo poo but I loved the series. I'd give it an A or an A- overall. Not sure how I feel about tying this into the Marvel Universe though.

Lastly, does anyone know how this show is doing from a ratings/views standpoint? I haven't really heard a lot of buzz that would suggest it's kicking rear end, which would be a shame because I want more seasons.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BiggerBoat posted:

- How did Fisk go from "I'm laying low and hiding in the shadows" to having half the FBI, the police force and the local SWAT teams totally on his side and in on his plan when he got sprung from the police transport on his way to jail?
I thought he just had Vanessa hire a bunch of mercenaries to spring him.

quote:

Lastly, does anyone know how this show is doing from a ratings/views standpoint?

Netflix knows and they aren't telling.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wolpertinger posted:

Before ever seeing Matt she got home, got incredibly drunk, took a shower, got even more drunk, slept, and went around and did things for a while before he had a chance to get a whiff - I'm pretty sure at that point 'fired a gun' wasn't a smell he noticed. I don't think he's even just been able to flat out smell which people a person has been in contact with either, or even recognize most people he doesn't know well by smell alone, even in the comics, unless the person had some really distinguishing and obvious smell for some reason (like Mr Bad Cologne).

Phylodox posted:

He smelled Foggy's lunch from three days ago.

Drifter posted:

Foggy hadn't brushed his teeth or changed his clothes. He's a mess.

Drifter posted:

Snak posted:

But he didn't say he could smell his food. He said he knew what he ate for lunch three days ago. Is there an implication that he can tell by smell what Foggy ate three days ago? Yes. Is there any hard evidence, to us, the viewer, that Matt Murdock is able to smell what someone had for lunch three days ago? No. That's all I'm saying. Normally, poo poo like this wouldn't matter. But this is a comic book discussion, which inevitably will at some point involve discussing the specific nature of what Daredevil can and cannot do. So I was just pointing out that the line of reasoning "Showering won't stop Matt from smelling gunshot residue based on the fact that Matt can still smell what you ate three days ago" is making a lot of assumptions.

If we're going to discuss this we should atleast get the facts right. I did something really silly like watched the episode again and what he said was:
Foggy hadn't showered in a day and a half
He did wash his face in Matt's sink
Matt could smell the ONIONS he had in his lunch 2 days ago.

So he did say he smelled his food, helped by the fact that foggy hadn't done his hygiene routine in the last 2 days.

Could he smell the gunpowder on Karen, now I doubt it cause apparently Matt could only go back 2 days with Foggy since he hadnt showered, whereas Karen cleaned up and boozed up.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Can you assholes please stop sperging out over this

There isn't going to be an episode in the second season where Foggy inquires about the time he said he could smell onions or Matt's onion smelling power is temporarily reduced via monologue explanation of why it doesn't work that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrianWilly posted:

So yeah, I'm just gonna let you know right now that they're not gonna get rid of Daredevil's horns or make Daredevil completely black. Like, let it sink in that it's never gonna happen before you get too attached to the idea.

Yeah, about that: