Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Any beginner's tips for a Risk of Rain player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Find and activate the teleporter, THEN kill things and gather loot. You'll be quite a bit behind the curve if you try to clear out levels beyond maybe the first.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

By the way, while I'm here. Could anyone give me some beginner tips on Caves of Qud?

Roll up an Esper with Light Manipulation, Time Fugue, Sunder Mind, Spontaneous Combustion, and max ego, then wander around killing things with your physic death rave crew. The Spontaneous Combustion trait doesn't kick in all that often and when it does you can put yourself out by pouring a few units of water on your head (I think 3 is always enough). Amphibious is also a decent negative trait since water is pretty plentiful for high-Ego characters.

Use Time Fugue any time you see a large group of enemies, before you start firing your lasers (because your time clones inherit the cooldowns on your abilities). Don't equip grenades unless you like the idea of your clones throwing them, because they're really not discriminate about where they end up. You can spend your first 9 or so mutation points on buying random extra abilities, since your Ego is so high you won't be able to upgrade your abilities anyway.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

The Commando is a solid class even after you unlock others, especially if you get items that proc per hit. The Huntress is a great class for beginners because of her ability to kite but she doesn't unlock until you collect enough monster logs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also, the difficulty descriptions lie: you can get almost every unlock on drizzle. I think the only ones that don't pop are game completion ones and the ones that require specific difficulties.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Roll up an Esper with Light Manipulation, Time Fugue, Sunder Mind, Spontaneous Combustion

You can't take Combustion as an Esper. (Unless you mean an Esper in spirit instead of in morphotype :v: )

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Amphibious is the superior water tax since you can see it coming and it barely costs more than usual.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lprsti99 posted:

You can't take Combustion as an Esper. (Unless you mean an Esper in spirit instead of in morphotype :v: )

Oh right, that's a physical defect. Okay, take Evil Twin then. It's legit dangerous but it's awesome so who cares?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does anyone here play Our Darker Purpose? Is there a strategy for the Disciplined King other than hoping the game doesn't roll him?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The new version of Ultima Ratio Regum is out today, which adds building interiors and objects. After this it's NPCs, and then onward to actual gameplay.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Does anyone here play Our Darker Purpose? Is there a strategy for the Disciplined King other than hoping the game doesn't roll him?

Be Moar Good. I never used to be able to beat him but now I usually do despite not having figured out any particular strategy.Maybe you need more unlocks or just get lucky with the upgrades.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If I get to him with a good damage item I'm probably just going to spam that. With how he moves and game's hitboxes he's the hardest thing to hit I've encountered in the game, with I (I think) no less health to compensate. I'd take Mask of Infamy any day.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
CoQ report:

Rolled a Trueman Eunuch, for maximum shootymans. Got the Red Rock quest, found and entered the dungeon. Blew my ammo on plants and trash mobs, thought I had more. Bow and arrows became an acceptable substitute. Found an electrified dagger, was badass. Found a bear on level 2 that had an AV score higher than I could penetrate. I couldn't get away. RIP.

Gonna try wandering the world a bit first next time.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I like playing a trueman praetorian but I never have a clue what skIlls are useful and good to invest in.

I should try other trueman backgrounds, but praetorian just starts off so nice.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
You can still play Curious Expedition alpha for free until tomorrow, and you all should def. do thay.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks, Galaga! That's super helpful. I think I was using 5.3, so that could be part of my problem. How do you tell which direction something is facing? I have a hard time even telling what stuff is on the map until it shoots or I shoot at it. (For instance, my commander will ID an enemy tank, but until one of us shoots I can't figure out if it's a Pz IV or a Panther or what.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Your mouse is actually functional! You can mouse over enemies to learn their ID, facing, and status (moving, in woods, hull down, etc). You can also right click them to get a description and some basic info.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
CoQ just froze up on me. Was on my initial "Get a few levels wandering around Joppa killing poo poo and taking it's stuff to sell" trip, tried to go back into Joppa. Game froze trying to thaw Joppa. Too bad, I had 270lbs of crap to unload on the Dromad merchant.

Edit: After getting back into the game, there was an option to continue, which took me to a screen asking me to load my save. There were no saves files to load. When I backed out, the option was no longer available. Decided to quit so I could update this post, game froze again and had to manually kill it. Win 7 64bit if that helps any. Tried to search the game files for an error log, saw output_log.txt but there isn't really anything helpful in there.

The game is lots of fun when it works, although I kind of wish trying to pick up mysterious tubes didn't automatically default to using them instead. Gotta slow down my button mashing I guess.

Son of Edit: Tried again, game has now soft-locked on the map screen. Can't move or do anything, but the .exe is still doing stuff according to task manager so windows thinks it's running just fine. I've been letting it sit for about five minutes now. No changes. Just manually killed it, going to try a reinstall.

It's version 2.0.5570.38772 if that helps any.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 19, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

CoQ just froze up on me. Was on my initial "Get a few levels wandering around Joppa killing poo poo and taking it's stuff to sell" trip, tried to go back into Joppa. Game froze trying to thaw Joppa. Too bad, I had 270lbs of crap to unload on the Dromad merchant.

Edit: After getting back into the game, there was an option to continue, which took me to a screen asking me to load my save. There were no saves files to load. When I backed out, the option was no longer available. Decided to quit so I could update this post, game froze again and had to manually kill it. Win 7 64bit if that helps any. Tried to search the game files for an error log, saw output_log.txt but there isn't really anything helpful in there.

The game is lots of fun when it works, although I kind of wish trying to pick up mysterious tubes didn't automatically default to using them instead. Gotta slow down my button mashing I guess.

Son of Edit: Tried again, game has now soft-locked on the map screen. Can't move or do anything, but the .exe is still doing stuff according to task manager so windows thinks it's running just fine. I've been letting it sit for about five minutes now. No changes. Just manually killed it, going to try a reinstall.

It's version 2.0.5570.38772 if that helps any.

Reinstall appears to have fixed it for now. Weird.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Anyone that is cool like me and still plays Desktop Dungeons can rejoice!

Free update with new classes, quests, a daily challenge dungeon, and fixes :woop:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 20, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my first game of qud:

:haw:

e: also is there supposed to be sound? i get no sound at all

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

So is Jupiter Hell ever happening? I've been chomping at the bit ever since DoomRL stopped getting updates.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is there something I'm missing about the Intercept ability in CoQ? Most enemies only move next to you once, so you get a one-off 0.5% chance of one free attack per enemy? Seems pretty underwhelming.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 21, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Would kiting proc the ability? You keep moving away, the enemy keeps moving adjacent to you. It's been a while and I never dinked around with it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Even if it does you'd still have to kite them an average of 200 tiles to get one free attack. Hardly seems worth the effort.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Porcupine stance makes it proc every time for 15 attacks or 30 rounds, whichever comes first, doesn't it?

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Awesome! posted:

my first game of qud:

:haw:

e: also is there supposed to be sound? i get no sound at all

No sound (yet).

I really want to spruce up the death screen.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Anyone that is cool like me and still plays Desktop Dungeons can rejoice!

Free update with new classes, quests, a daily challenge dungeon, and fixes :woop:

I should really get back to that, but I hit a difficulty wall in trying to break into the harder dungeon tiers or class challenges that I just couldn't seem to get past. Did they update the play-by-web client?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

Is there something I'm missing about the Intercept ability in CoQ? Most enemies only move next to you once, so you get a one-off 0.5% chance of one free attack per enemy? Seems pretty underwheleming.

Most of CoQ's weapon skills are really low rate procs. I can't say I'm a fan of them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hand of luke posted:

No sound (yet).

I really want to spruce up the death screen.
there is an equipment slot for "floating nearby" and i am excited about that

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Most of CoQ's weapon skills are really low rate procs. I can't say I'm a fan of them.

So you're saying that it's the size of the boat that matters rather than the skill of the skipper when it comes to CoQ?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tetrakarn posted:

So you're saying that it's the size of the boat that matters rather than the skill of the skipper when it comes to CoQ?

Sometimes you ride the CoQ, and sometimes, it rides you.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Hey guys, it's a homonym for cock. That means penis. Penis joke. Cock balls cum jizz. He he

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

andrew smash posted:

Hey guys, it's a homonym for cock. That means penis. Penis joke. Cock balls cum jizz. He he

You mean homophone.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 21, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Has the corpse with the headlamp been removed from the river under Joppa? Cleared it three times now and not found him.

Also wow. Don't gently caress with sawhanders. RIP.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

Has the corpse with the headlamp been removed from the river under Joppa? Cleared it three times now and not found him.

Also wow. Don't gently caress with sawhanders. RIP.

IIRC it's semi randomly placed like the rest of the river.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The miner corpse is placed really randomly somewhere on one of the underground river maps, and seems to be fully capable of showing up in a little side room that can't be accessed from the main cavern without digging.

Sawhanders are probably the deadliest poo poo you can possibly encounter in the wilderness, outside of totally insane legendary combos and nonsense like wandering into the Deathlands or descending to level 80 of "," via ruins staircases.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They're somewhat less so if you're not a turtle, since their whole gimmick is AC ignoring and axe skills. And 3/4 of the animal kingdom has axe skills.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Awesome! posted:

there is an equipment slot for "floating nearby" and i am excited about that

Oh man I'm having dikumud flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Dross posted:

So is Jupiter Hell ever happening? I've been chomping at the bit ever since DoomRL stopped getting updates.

Believe in the dream. Also, activity in Chaosforge in general looks to be kicking off moreso in the 2015 still to come, so odds are DoomRL and at least some of the other projects in their stable should be seeing updates in the remaining months to come.