Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Kenshin posted:

I'll agree with that. I thought it'd be a bit more upbeat but I actually enjoy almost all of it which considering my regular tastes in hiphop surprises even me. I've yet to find much by Future or Lil Wayne that I really like so I'm not sure why I enjoy Barter 6, but maybe my tastes are changing/expanding.

I know this is about a single song and not Young Thug in general, but I feel like it kind of applies to a lot of his music.

noz posted:

Those clips of Drake and Kanye turning up to “Danny Glover” do a great job of precisely illustrating what that record does to all human beings - it zombifies them into nothing but rap hands and shoulders. Or at least that should be the response. I know everybody has dramatically different standards of what a rapper is supposed to do these days but I find it hard to believe that any self respecting fan of the genre could hear “Danny Glover” loudly and feel nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kenshin posted:

I still don't understand what is even remotely interesting about French Montana's music.

Harry Fraud production.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

I AM BRAWW posted:

Young Thug: Chuck E Cheese I'm 'bout pizza and my rol' on. [whisper] I'm a gangster I don't dance baby, I poke.

Yo! NMD Raps: This poo poo Bangs.
On Old English he says "my jewelry gold like the tokens at Chuck E Cheese." I guess now we know where thugga likes to dine.

Wezlar posted:

I know this is about a single song and not Young Thug in general, but I feel like it kind of applies to a lot of his music.

To answer Noz' question, I feel like I'm being vaguely cheated somehow. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, seriously correct me. But basically, what we've decided is, is that to be a hit rapper, all you need to do is have interesting/goofy ad-libs? loving ad-libs? That's what makes a rap star in 2015?

I guess I just haven't drank the kool-aid or something. I've listened to enough of Thugga's music over the past year to give him a chance, since he's gotten such insane hype, but he is just completely loving terrible. He's not even like Flocka or someone, who admit's he can't rap (though he's actually getting pretty good at it), but who makes energetic and fun music.

I don't need anyone to explain the appeal to me or whatever, since I can decide whether or not I like music by myself. But... goddamn, man.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Im with you on Thug. He does absolutely zero for me outside of interesting hooks but different strokes and all that but I dont see him having much staying power

God I miss Jeezy's old ad libs so much

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

vanbags posted:

What has J Cole said?

Cole has a couple bars on Fire Squad that goes:

"History repeats itself and that's just how it goes
Same way that these rappers always bite each others flows
Same thing that my nigga Elvis did with Rock n Roll
Justin Timberlake, Eminem and then Macklemore
While silly niggas argue over who gon' snatch the crown
Look around, my nigga, white people have snatched the sound
This year I’ll prolly go to the awards dappered down
Watch Iggy win a Grammy as I try to crack a smile
I'm just playin', but all good jokes contain true poo poo
Same rope you climb up on, they'll hang you with"

He explains his own reasoning for those bars (which he even says in the song itself that it's in jest) here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqY9kWa6vrc (I queued you to the part about the verse but the entire interview is a pro watch)

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

dethkon posted:

To answer Noz' question, I feel like I'm being vaguely cheated somehow. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, seriously correct me. But basically, what we've decided is, is that to be a hit rapper, all you need to do is have interesting/goofy ad-libs? loving ad-libs? That's what makes a rap star in 2015?

I think the biggest appeal of Young Thug isn't his ad libs or his lyrics but that his vocal delivery is really musical in an exciting/interesting/different way. His ability to rap in the traditional technical sense is definitely questionable (though I think he's at the very least average for popular rap in 2015 whatever that says) but he brings something fairly unique and awesome to his songs and when they hit (especially like Stoner or Danny Glover) they really hit.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 18, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

the_american_dream posted:

God I miss Jeezy's old ad libs so much

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm still amazed at how much I stopped caring about Jeezy in 2010. That was also the year I got into Gucci, who I find to be way more interesting. Not to mention has amazing adlibs. I've had "BURR" as my text ringtone since 2009 so I might be a bit of a Stan. JK, I am.

Still haven't listened to TPAB or Barter 6, although I'll listen to the latter today. I dunno. I've been feeling a bit of a disconnect from rap, although I've definitely been digging Father. Why hasn't he been brought up? Not insanely new, but doing his own production is p cool and they're catchy songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfhRMGlFUdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJPTxr17xE

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Kenshin posted:

I still don't understand what is even remotely interesting about French Montana's music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH53kXi79Fo

+ Harry Fraud production. Mac & Cheese 4: The Appetizer is immaculate.

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 18, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yuzenn posted:

Cole has a couple bars on Fire Squad that goes:

Cole has never rapped a memorable verse in his whole career.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought 2014 Forest Hills Drive was decent but to be fair I had to google the album's name right now to remember wtf it was called

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I thought 2014 Forest Hills Drive was decent but to be fair I had to google the album's name right now to remember wtf it was called
This post is like the perfect summary of J Cole's career.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Cole has never rapped a memorable verse in his whole career.

He got his buzz entirely from his "coulder than the shoulder of a gold diggin ho" line on that poo poo jay-z song and he rode it into the ground shortly afterwards by being the human eeyore

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shrug I like Cole, don't think he's second coming like his stans do. Jesus say anything bad about Cole and they start talking about how he's Nas or some poo poo.

But his Mixtapes were good, and I liked 2 of his 3 albums.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

J Cole really killing the homeless 25 year old look

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Cool Buff Man posted:

He got his buzz entirely from his "coulder than the shoulder of a gold diggin ho" line on that poo poo jay-z song and he rode it into the ground shortly afterwards by being the human eeyore
He had everyone going crazy for a few days after he murdered "Looking For Trouble" during the GOOD Fridays period. If Jay put half the effort into Cole that Kanye put into Pusha T I think things would have turned out differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yUlxfY1yfs

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, Kanye is probably one of the best at promoting those he signs.

Pusha was everywhere with Kanye, and had a ton of features. Ditto with Sean. Like hes promoted the loving hell out of Big Sean.

Vic Mensa is going to be loving everywhere by the end of this year. And his ceiling I think is higher as a mainstream guy than Sean.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I think he wrongly gets portrayed as disloyal because he chose Jay over Dame, but he maintains a relationship with Dame to this day and pretty much everyone who helped him along the way. That on top of the way he treats his GOOD Music artists, I think he's one of the most stand up guys in hip-hop.

But if you're an up and coming rapper I can't think of a solid reason to sign under Jay unless your only aspiration is 15 minutes of fame. Since Rocafella he has a 0% success rate of developing and marketing artists. J Cole is his biggest success, which is saying a lot.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

vanbags posted:

I think he wrongly gets portrayed as disloyal because he chose Jay over Dame, but he maintains a relationship with Dame to this day and pretty much everyone who helped him along the way. That on top of the way he treats his GOOD Music artists, I think he's one of the most stand up guys in hip-hop.

But if you're an up and coming rapper I can't think of a solid reason to sign under Jay unless your only aspiration is 15 minutes of fame. Since Rocafella he has a 0% success rate of developing and marketing artists. J Cole is his biggest success, which is saying a lot.
Rihanna was nurtured under Jay Z and Jay Z was Def Jam for a few years. The problem with Jay Z is that he is a typical suit looking to market dumb stuff instead of growing good stuff. There is no reason for Maybach music, Brick Squad, and TDE to pull artists up from the gutter with half the resources.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dexo posted:

Yeah, Kanye is probably one of the best at promoting those he signs.

Pusha was everywhere with Kanye, and had a ton of features. Ditto with Sean. Like hes promoted the loving hell out of Big Sean.

Vic Mensa is going to be loving everywhere by the end of this year. And his ceiling I think is higher as a mainstream guy than Sean.

That's one thing I always appreciated about Kanye is that when he's into an artist, he seems to have no problem promoting them and putting them out front.

vanbags posted:

I agree with your general point, but to be fair J Cole's fairly successful (despite all the poo poo he gets around here-which I do believe is largely justified).

temple posted:

Rihanna was nurtured under Jay Z and Jay Z was Def Jam for a few years. The problem with Jay Z is that he is a typical suit looking to market dumb stuff instead of growing good stuff. There is no reason for Maybach music, Brick Squad, and TDE to pull artists up from the gutter with half the resources.
I agree with this 100% (although wasn't Rihanna already big when she started hooking up with Jay Z?). I think it's largely because of how he makes music-people probably don't agree but he seems to aim for making inoffensive, mildly pleasant pop stuff. And he tries to do that to most of his artists. I mean dude's been sitting on Jay Electronica's stuff for years now and he had to have known Jay Electronica wasn't gonna make some corny pop stuff.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
best thing jay-z ever did to promote another artist is probably
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuyxX5P5Xug

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

(although wasn't Rihanna already big when she started hooking up with Jay Z?).
Rihanna was known prior to Good Girl Gone Bad but that album (and Umbrella ft Jay Z) is what pushed her into the upper echelon. Then Chris Brown assaulted her and Rated R came out. Its been sown up since.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

temple posted:

Well I was primarily talking about rappers, I guess I should have clarified. Rihanna and Rita Ora have both flourished, but then you have Uncle Murda, Tru Life, K Koke, Jay Electronica, and to a lesser extent Lady Sovereign who actually released an album but only ended up selling like 300k worldwide. And that's just from his post-Rocafella days.

Remember when Tru Life went to war with Dipset in Jay's honor, on wax and off wax, and this is the closest thing to a verse he could get out of Jay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDVi9npIpM

vanbags fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 19, 2015

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg9tVVufmUQ

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
welp 2/3rd of migos got arrested last night (actually, in the middle of a show they had to ask the DJ to cut the music and quavo, offset were taken backstage where the police were waiting or something liek that): misd marijuana, felony sched 2 narcotic + a gun charge for offset...

https://twitter.com/Migos/status/589649921336340480

ah just saw it was at georgia southern university which is in a hick as gently caress county. was local pd.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 19, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

That's pretty lovely. Isn't Offset on probation?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wezlar posted:

That's pretty lovely. Isn't Offset on probation?

the gun charge was possession of firearm by convicted felon so i assume so

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

thathonkey posted:

ah just saw it was at georgia southern university

and part of the charges are for being in a "school zone" gently caress

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Robawesome posted:

and part of the charges are for being in a "school zone" gently caress

:cripes:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

don't these guys have people to hold guns for them

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Do rappers even need guns? Have rappers really ever been drug dealers and gang members? I always thought that was marketing. I just can't see how you go from slinging crack to getting your demo in the hands of a sony exec.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

rear end Catchcum posted:

Do rappers even need guns? Have rappers really ever been drug dealers and gang members? I always thought that was marketing. I just can't see how you go from slinging crack to getting your demo in the hands of a sony exec.

They got shot at on a highway after a show like a month ago lol

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

Do rappers even need guns? Have rappers really ever been drug dealers and gang members?

lol jfc

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Obie Trice and Proof would like a word with you. :(

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yall should keep on responding to the troll who peaked with the Weird Al thing

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

thathonkey posted:

welp 2/3rd of migos got arrested last night (actually, in the middle of a show they had to ask the DJ to cut the music and quavo, offset were taken backstage where the police were waiting or something liek that): misd marijuana, felony sched 2 narcotic + a gun charge for offset...

https://twitter.com/Migos/status/589649921336340480

ah just saw it was at georgia southern university which is in a hick as gently caress county. was local pd.
Wish there were more details about this. I don't give a gently caress about Migos but that sounds suspect on the police dept's part.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

vanbags posted:

Wish there were more details about this. I don't give a gently caress about Migos but that sounds suspect on the police dept's part.

Sounds like someone got tipped off

Snitches get stiches

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

theres bits on Barter 6 where Thug sounds so much like Wayne it's crazy

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX6FPbNHv1Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's just a bunch of speed rapping for the most part but it's at least pretty impressive in that aspect. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any reason for this track to exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBwVRNOL70

It is interesting hearing both Tech N9ne and Eminem on the same track at least--Eminem might be a bit faster but Tech enunciates a lot better.