Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

So yeah, I'm just gonna let you know right now that they're not gonna get rid of Daredevil's horns or make Daredevil completely black. Like, let it sink in that it's never gonna happen before you get too attached to the idea.

Jedit posted:

Yeah, about that:

But that costume isn't completely black :question:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

But that costume isn't completely black :question:

And it has horns?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
By that logic there's a realistic chance Superman is gonna be blue, white, and crackling with electricity by the end of Dawn of Justice.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

WickedHate posted:

By that logic there's a realistic chance Superman is gonna be blue, white, and crackling with electricity by the end of Dawn of Justice.

Now I'm hoping that actually happens, just to see all of the tears and outrage as a result.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So today I had to edge someone's lawn with just a shovel. It was hot, and I was getting a lot of sweat in my eyes, so I took off my black T-shirt, wrapped it around my head, and after a second, realized what I had done...

...Then I punched a few dudes because why not, I mean I'm dressed for the occasion anyway. Shouldn't waste it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ok so this show is pretty good but holy god is this child actor loving terrible.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, Daredevil is the only superhero who can get away with a pair of double-D's that doesn't make the artist look very lonely.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Loved the show but holy crap, the actors who played both Wilson and Karen were awful.

Wilson had this weird vocal thing going on, and the girl who played Karen thinks that if you make your voice waver and break, that means you have emotion. Thea on Arrow has the same problem.

The show also took a dive in quality towards the end, especially with dialogue. It avoided stupid corny moments at the start then relied on then more and more.

Overall pretty good though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CelestialScribe posted:

Loved the show but holy crap, the actors who played both Wilson and Karen were awful.

Wilson had this weird vocal thing going on, and the girl who played Karen thinks that if you make your voice waver and break, that means you have emotion. Thea on Arrow has the same problem.

The show also took a dive in quality towards the end, especially with dialogue. It avoided stupid corny moments at the start then relied on then more and more.

Overall pretty good though.

?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ok so this show is pretty good but holy god is this child actor loving terrible.

I thought they were both ok, probably really good as far as child actors go.

In other news the ultimate collection of Daredevil (the Bendis stories) is sold out on amazon.co.uk and the marketplace sellers have raised the price by £10-12 so the tv show has had some effect.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WickedHate posted:

We've already had all the pieces put into place for Shadowland, though?

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

He's sort of right about the child actor, I haven't seen one so bad since Daniel Radcliffe in early Harry Potter movies.

I think the main thing I disliked wasn't the actual fighting or the costume, I mean yeah the costume was bad but what really made it look like rear end was every time he started using the dual batons. The way he held them just looked so comically stupid, pun intended.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

He's sort of right about the child actor, I haven't seen one so bad since Daniel Radcliffe in early Harry Potter movies.

I think the main thing I disliked wasn't the actual fighting or the costume, I mean yeah the costume was bad but what really made it look like rear end was every time he started using the dual batons. The way he held them just looked so comically stupid, pun intended.

Hey man cut the guy a break, he learned to fight from a blind guy. I doubt he could check his form very well. Also practicing in front of a mirror was probably out.

Edit:

Matt: Stick are you a black belt?
Stick: How the hell should I know?

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 19, 2015

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

CelestialScribe posted:

When thinking about awful actors, the first name that comes to mind would be legendary star of stage and screen, Vincent D'onofrio.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

D'Onofrio's voice was strange though, as if he was constantly trying to talk deeper than his natural voice.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Doctor Butts posted:

D'Onofrio's voice was strange though, as if he was constantly trying to talk deeper than his natural voice.

Which played into the "child trying to act like a man" persona. His dialogue was stilted and unnatural, but in a way that made sense for the character. You get the feeling he's such an introvert that every word out of his mouth is a painful ordeal. He's a man who's more comfortable crushing a man's head in a car door than talking to other people, but desperately wants to be anything other than that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There were times I was completely sure it was the guy from Criminal Intent, but said "Nah, it can't be" before finding out it actually was. He has a very distinctive way of talking.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Angular Landbury posted:

When thinking about awful actors, the first name that comes to mind would be legendary star of stage and screen, Vincent D'onofrio.

I don't think he's an awful actor, just that he was awful in this role. The forced delivery of the dialogue didn't do it for me.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

He -does- have a fairly high pitched voice for a man his size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxalkMk7cTM

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I actually liked the suit and Kingpin's forced voice. It sold to me how broken the Kingpin really was, psychologically at least.

The only thing that really bothered me was how Daredevil started to do these ridiculous and unnecessary full body spins in the last few episodes. The final confrontation was especially bad when it comes to that.

Overall a really good show though, I hope we get a 2nd season.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

WickedHate posted:

There were times I was completely sure it was the guy from Criminal Intent, but said "Nah, it can't be" before finding out it actually was. He has a very distinctive way of talking.

Close, but he's actually Thor.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Yeah, the comic book Kingpin has always been a very bwahaha type of Villain. It wasn't until the Miller years and afterwards that he started really developing some vunerability (which was mostly centered around his inability to get rid of Daredevil and various issues with his own son). Nowadays he bounces between being a vaguely broken, but still cunning and brilliant criminal or just being a typical moustache twirling crime boss depending on how good and consistent the writer working on him is.

D'onifrio's really stunted, awkward and yet aggressive and oddly confident delivery totally worked for me, sorry it didn't for you.

(He really sold Gao as being the scariest person on the show as well. I don't know if thst character wold have worked as well without Fisk basically quaking in fear during all of their conversations.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked that Fisk could go toe to toe with Daredevil. I don't care that he's a god drat ninja and neither does Fisk. "I'm a big tough strong son of a bitch mother fucker, gently caress your ninjas", is basically what he's saying anytime they actually meet as he just punches the poo poo out of him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Last few episodes went by in a blur but someone in the production really likes The Sum Of All Fears.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Doing another rewatch ,but I can't get over how great Leland Owlsley is , you miss his eye rolling cause of all the other scene stealers but he's loving hilarious. He's so fed up with everyone's bullshit in every scene.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hollismason posted:

Doing another rewatch ,but I can't get over how great Leland Owlsley is , you miss his eye rolling cause of all the other scene stealers but he's loving hilarious. He's so fed up with everyone's bullshit in every scene.

I was honestly more beat up over his death than Wesley's

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

Wow, you are so wrong it's not even funny. Karen was awesome.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tvb posted:

It was a great payoff to his "I'm getting my stun gun out of storage" line, too. I was devastated when we lost Leland.

There were a lot of just random things that had great payoff, but that was the best.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Phylodox posted:

Which played into the "child trying to act like a man" persona. His dialogue was stilted and unnatural, but in a way that made sense for the character. You get the feeling he's such an introvert that every word out of his mouth is a painful ordeal. He's a man who's more comfortable crushing a man's head in a car door than talking to other people, but desperately wants to be anything other than that.

I agree. You can even see it in the episode where he goes on his first date with Vanessa. He act's like he's going into some dangerous mob meeting or something and the way he told Wesley "stay here, I need to do this myself" just seemed like he was going in to bust some heads and it seemed like a super big deal. Revealing he was just going out on a date really hit home how introverted he really is.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Shadoer posted:

I agree. You can even see it in the episode where he goes on his first date with Vanessa. He act's like he's going into some dangerous mob meeting or something and the way he told Wesley "stay here, I need to do this myself" just seemed like he was going in to bust some heads and it seemed like a super big deal. Revealing he was just going out on a date really hit home how introverted he really is.

That was also Wesley at his most Smithers.

I appreciate in these kinds of stories when the villain isn't arbitrarily always a villain. It's such a cliche to show how ruthless a bad guy is through how cruel he is to his underlings. But Fisk and Wesley clearly have this mutually caring connection...it's much more nuanced than the plot requires.

Fisk kissing Wesley on the forehead is such a disarming moment, after finding his body. It's so tragic, in a way I definitely didn't expect.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shadoer posted:

Doesn't he say that the first time he goes into the gallery to awkwardly ask her out?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fisk seemed pretty normal to me, but since I'm also painfully introverted and shy that's not saying much.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Doesn't he say that the first time he goes into the gallery to awkwardly ask her out?

I don't even know if half the people posting about the show actually watched it, Fisk as a character says and does things several times that are supposed to clue you in that he has asperger's or some other severe personality disorder. Just completely off the top of my head

-He repeatedly says he finds it difficult having conversations with people
-Repeatedly says he prefers to be alone
-Everybody around him says repeatedly that he doesn't normally show emotion
-When he does show emotion it's almost always childish anger

Like seriously what show were people watching that they thought it was just quirky old Vincent D'Onofrio butchering lines?

But more importantly if you go back to that scene where he and Vanessa wake up the next morning in bed Fisk holds the covers up over his moobs just like a chick does on basic cable, made me :lol:

Vag Assault Weapon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 19, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When he asks her out he's nervously fiddling with his cuffs and has trouble looking her in the eyes, and gives up easily. But then something happens when she goes "That's it?" Knowing that she didn't want him to give up, he musters up his courage and looks at her more directly, approaches her closely, has more engaging conversation. It's a great moment.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 19, 2015

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You might be right, I'm not sure. I remember loving the scene, and I think it occurs right before the date, but it might be before asking her out. (drat you bing watching)

Still the point is there are tons of indications in his acting that he's suppose to be extremely introverted. The man's smart, he fights like a bulldozer, but gently caress if he could actually deal with people with a regular basis.

In fact, one thing I did notice was that his whole "we don't say his name" and him staying out of the limelight had probably more to do with his fear of dealing with people as opposed to any tactical benefit it gave him. Until he is shown to be talking to Vanessa, we see nothing of him. The more and more their relationship progresses, the more other characters are shown interacting with him.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

WickedHate posted:

Nah, it's Edgar Bug.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Fisk as a character says and does things several times that are supposed to clue you in that he has asperger's or some other severe personality disorder. Just completely off the top of my head

I didn't read him as autism spectrum. 12-year-old Wilson strikes me as fairly normal, if somewhat introverted because of his abusive dad.

As an adult, he definitely has anxiety problems, and has trouble socializing. But those things all seemed circumstantially true. I viewed them as a result of severe psychological trauma. I mean, his dad routinely insulted and abused him, and brutally beat his mother. Then he killed his own father as a 12 year old boy.

He wasn't born that way. Which is, itself, thematically relevant. The criminal nature of Hell's Kitchen is depicted as a systemic disease. Every victim is a victimizer and vice-versa.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

Fisk kissing Wesley on the forehead is such a disarming moment, after finding his body. It's so tragic, in a way I definitely didn't expect.

He's like, "if only you'd have let me crush this beauty in a door."

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Not sure if this had been mentioned before in this thread, but did anyone else notice (in the scene where Owlsley is getting suited for body armor) that Owlsley mentions that his son is named "Lee?" (presumably short for Leland as well, making him Leland Owlsley Jr)

Presumably they put that in there so they could set it up so that they have the option to use the son as the person named Leland Owlsley who becomes "The Owl" if they so choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

I thought the child actors were OK, but not great. If you think that was bad, then you've never seen that drat Weiner kid from Mad Men. The show runner cast his own kid, and every time Glen shows up, people are convinced that he is a budding serial killer.