Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Elysiume posted:

I wonder if real police have this problem.

Ambulances do. I saw an ambulance with full lights and sirens go through an intersection where everyone was stopped, and someone hit the ambulance in the side right by the rear tire. It was loving ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Cleretic posted:

I picked up Age of Wonders III on a recommendation from a friend. It plays like a combination of Civilization and Heroes of Might and Magic, both of which I like, so I'm totally on board. I boot it up, and the game suggests playing the Elven campaign to start off. I do, assuming it to be a pretty decent tutorial.

It is not a decent tutorial. It teaches you how to stack units, open the in-game encyclopedia, pick a research and enter a fight. After that you're on your own, aside from a single instance where it tells you battering rams and trebuchets are good for sieges (without explaining to you why). This would be relatively okay by itself, if it weren't for the fact that the matchup the game gives you is absurdly unfair for an ostensible tutorial.

Ultimately, the map is between you playing an Elven Rogue, and an enemy playing an Orcish Theocrat. This is actually an awful matchup, especially for a tutorial; elves are squishy and heavily range-focused, and rogues are extremely technical and focused around exploiting stuff like flanking. An Elven Rogue can work really well, but you need to know how to use them quite well, and hit the lategame. Meanwhile, orcs are really burly, and theocrats are heavily support-focused, so that goes together in a really simple way that's useful all game, but especially good early-on.

So basically, the map intended for 'beginners' gives you an extremely high-skill setup, and then pits you against a setup with really natural synergy.

Oh, so I'm not just loving terrible at the game, then? I mean, I'm not great at tactical games to begin with, but I'd get down to the first city you can capture and then that dude would just flood me with armies and I'd lose.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kruller posted:

Oh, so I'm not just loving terrible at the game, then? I mean, I'm not great at tactical games to begin with, but I'd get down to the first city you can capture and then that dude would just flood me with armies and I'd lose.

It took me three tries to win that map, because on top of the whole thing being stacked against you, it also never tells you how to (or even that you can) send several armies into the one fight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I wonder if real cops ever experience the phenomenon I did in True Crime NYC, where pedestrians constantly would leap from the sidewalk into the path of my car, killing themselves instantly and tanking my Good Cop Points.
Only in Ferguson.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I picked up Age of Wonders III on a recommendation from a friend. It plays like a combination of Civilization and Heroes of Might and Magic, both of which I like, so I'm totally on board. I boot it up, and the game suggests playing the Elven campaign to start off. I do, assuming it to be a pretty decent tutorial.

It is not a decent tutorial. It teaches you how to stack units, open the in-game encyclopedia, pick a research and enter a fight. After that you're on your own, aside from a single instance where it tells you battering rams and trebuchets are good for sieges (without explaining to you why). This would be relatively okay by itself, if it weren't for the fact that the matchup the game gives you is absurdly unfair for an ostensible tutorial.

Ultimately, the map is between you playing an Elven Rogue, and an enemy playing an Orcish Theocrat. This is actually an awful matchup, especially for a tutorial; elves are squishy and heavily range-focused, and rogues are extremely technical and focused around exploiting stuff like flanking. An Elven Rogue can work really well, but you need to know how to use them quite well, and hit the lategame. Meanwhile, orcs are really burly, and theocrats are heavily support-focused, so that goes together in a really simple way that's useful all game, but especially good early-on.

So basically, the map intended for 'beginners' gives you an extremely high-skill setup, and then pits you against a setup with really natural synergy.

I cheesed it bu just spamming cavalry at them. You're right, and as tutorials go, it's just above STALKER. "You can jump" is the only piece of helpful advice the game ever gives you.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I cheesed it bu just spamming cavalry at them. You're right, and as tutorials go, it's just above STALKER. "You can jump" is the only piece of helpful advice the game ever gives you.

loving STALKER

"Here's gun, go make me money"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I wonder if real cops ever experience the phenomenon I did in True Crime NYC, where pedestrians constantly would leap from the sidewalk into the path of my car, killing themselves instantly and tanking my Good Cop Points.

They do in Russia.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ElGroucho posted:

loving STALKER

"Here's gun, go make me money"

That is why that game is awesome.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Call of Pripyat is even more ridiculous

loving dropped in a field with a gun

Who the gently caress am I? What am I doing? Who is this loving guy over here? What the gently caress?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Both games have intros that explain everything you need to know?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

2house2fly posted:

Probably not but they do experience a lot of people objecting to having drugs planted on them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona Q: On normal difficulty, nothing in this game except the Reaper (basically a bonus boss, you aren't supposed to be able to beat it easily) is too unreasonably tough… until they cast an all-party dark or light attack, which will instantly kill pretty much anyone who doesn't specifically resist those elements.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
The PC port of Force Unleashed 2 is janky as poo poo. Just getting it to run is a mess; right now the game launches to black, then opens a second "Active Movie Window" which plays the LucasArts logo about half the time before everything crashes. I managed to get about halfway through the game, but now it's an every launch issue. It doesn't help that the game is pretty awful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jaramin posted:

I don't really remember STALKER explaining what that big glowy circle over there is or giving any sort of help other than dumping me in a city with poo poo gear. I put the game down and never went back. I don't demand hand holding but christ I want something. At least goddamn Dark Souls kind of guides you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jaramin posted:

I think I clicked past the one i pripyat, I was so loving lost for the first 20 minutes of gameplay.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

I think I clicked past the one i pripyat, I was so loving lost for the first 20 minutes of gameplay.

But there's a very obvious land locked vessel sitting right in front of you. How do you people get lost in that game.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Persona Q: On normal difficulty, nothing in this game except the Reaper (basically a bonus boss, you aren't supposed to be able to beat it easily) is too unreasonably tough… until they cast an all-party dark or light attack, which will instantly kill pretty much anyone who doesn't specifically resist those elements.

What dragged the game down for me was that your party, too, can cast those spells, and running both of them makes the entire game a breeze.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PhrenzZ posted:

What dragged the game down for me was that your party, too, can cast those spells, and running both of them makes the entire game a breeze.

I love that complaint. "Using these abilities trivializes everything! Too easy!" Why use them then?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

I love that complaint. "Using these abilities trivializes everything! Too easy!" Why use them then?

People don't like having to intentionally avoid useful obvious strategies, it's straight up bad game design.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Brother Entropy posted:

People don't like having to intentionally avoid useful obvious strategies, it's straight up bad game design.

Persona Q is also half Etrian Odyssey: using everything at your disposal to win is how EO games roll.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

Because a tightly-designed challenge where you have to use all the abilities at your disposal to overcome varied challenges, is lessened by every encounter having a magic win button to press.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brother Entropy posted:

And what's the excuse for Skyrim? How many times has "It's too easy to break the game." been posted in here?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

And what's the excuse for Skyrim? How many times has "It's too easy to break the game." been posted in here?

Elder Scrolls games are far more about player empowerment and open-world exploration than providing strategic challenges, like SMT and EO games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

My problem with Skyrim isn't that it's easy to break, it's that it's boring to break. Whoop-de-do, my inherent regeneration outdoes a dragon's DPS and my sword does a hefty amount of lightning damage.

Oblivion, for all its faults, was hilarious to break. Perfect invisibility, jumping three times your height, exploding arrows, town-sized frenzy spells... really, once you cracked open the spellcrafting and enchanting in Oblivion then everything has potential hilarity in it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

Because gamers have absolutely no willpower.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So GTAV came out on PC and it's pretty fun, aside from a few really annoying things. Like the load times. The last time I played a game with load times this bad was Sonic '06. I'm not really exaggerating, I've just been spoiled by games that didn't take forever to load the most minute thing. Secondly, unlocking things online isn't that bad unless you want to unlock everything. Most guns have a "kill 400 players..." cosmetic unlock which is insane and to get all of the car customizations you have to win races against other people online. Even if you're just exploiting the game and racing with a friend to get 50 races in each category as fast as you can, that's still a lot of time just spent doing boring races. My last complaint about the game is that while the best part is the chaotic open world aspect, Rockstar apparently disagrees and they really frown on doing things like shooting other people. Or blowing up their cars. Blowing up another person's car will get you marked as a "bad sport" and eventually land you in a server pool exclusively of other bad sport players, people who chronically quit games and the like.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's a fun game but rockstar seems to have forgotten what made GTA fun in the first place.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Accordion Man posted:

Because gamers have absolutely no willpower.
If you make a game that is supposed to offer a challenge to the player and balance it horribly, it's a badly designed game. People shouldn't need to intentionally gimping themselves to make up for shoddy design.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i haven't played Q but from what i learned by playing 3 and 4, light and dark are insanely costly SP wise, so just spamming them at everything will leave you pretty drained in short order

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alouicious posted:

i haven't played Q but from what i learned by playing 3 and 4, light and dark are insanely costly SP wise, so just spamming them at everything will leave you pretty drained in short order

Persona Q's sub-persona system gives you a supply of SP that refills after every fight. It is in fact enough to cover the cost of a Mahamaon.

So, yes, Naoto can just one-shot every random encounter at no cost, and the limit to your exploration is how much swag you can carry back with you.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Dragon age inquisition: I wish my group members WOULD GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Persona Q's sub-persona system gives you a supply of SP that refills after every fight. It is in fact enough to cover the cost of a Mahamaon.

So, yes, Naoto can just one-shot every random encounter at no cost, and the limit to your exploration is how much swag you can carry back with you.

tbf that's basically my experience with the tail end of Persona 4 Golden too so I don't really see the problem

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Fifteen of Many posted:

The PC port of Force Unleashed 2 is janky as poo poo. Just getting it to run is a mess; right now the game launches to black, then opens a second "Active Movie Window" which plays the LucasArts logo about half the time before everything crashes. I managed to get about halfway through the game, but now it's an every launch issue. It doesn't help that the game is pretty awful.

It worked fine for me but if you got halfway through, you were probably on the last level because from what I played, it was laughably short and disappointing.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
It's important in game design that an optimal strategy not be boring or trivial. I think singleplayer sandbox type games can get away with breaking this rule because that's kinda what the audience is there for? But Persona is all about using tactics that protect your weaknesses and attack the enemy's and if a thing just lets you bypass that, well, that seems bad.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pillars of Eternity has a formation button but what it needs is a no really stay in loving formation button.

I like the gameplay but I just can not get into the story at all. It's kind of like Amalur where every aspect of the story revolved around the "fate" gimmick which I didn't car about so it made no impact. In PoE the story revolves around the "souls" gimmick which I don't care about so it's not making an impact. I just made it to act 3 and all I can tell you is that I'm chasing some guy and that I have powers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alouicious posted:

tbf that's basically my experience with the tail end of Persona 4 Golden too so I don't really see the problem

The massacre begins at level 13 and never stops. The 1st dungeon is the only area that could possibly threaten you as it's before any Personas learn Impure Reach and Naoto learning Mahama and Mamudo. And even then, everything is weak to one and/or the other, so she's still scoring free kills. I don't think you understand how quickly random encounters just become bait to her, and how the game never quite lets random encounters just not die instantly.

Keep in mind that she's just one character of your party of five, and that turning her into the random encounter eliminator takes one of her available optional skill slots. It's easy to let her also apply statuses and binds with that high luck and also be team medic, and still have a few skill slots open to deal damage if somehow that strikes your fancy.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Being able to spam light/dark skills didn't bother me too much in Q, but the other badly balanced thing about it is the fact that offensive magic is very expensive in SP cost, yet not all that strong even when you hit the enemy's weakness. Late-game physical techniques vastly outstrip late-game magic techniques.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Light and dark poo poo pales in comparison to anything phys related in Q though, I got a lvl 19 Sentata with some insanely strong multi hitting phys attack and Kanji was doing nearly 600 damage without crits.

My main issue with Q was two fold, first the dungeons are to loving big, they outstay their welcome to fast and the other is all the FoE based puzzles, they're just annoying.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've been playing through Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and while Birth By Sleep was my favourite KH game the first time through, it really drags on a second play-through because for all intents and purposes it has three early-games (which I feel are the weakest parts of the series) and the episodes don't last long enough to get really powerful (the most enjoyable parts), especially since grinding the Command Board is much more tolerable, I not outright fun, on a handheld when you can do it as a time-waster instead of having to use the TV and dedicate time to it. It sucks because I wanted to take a shot at the final mix content but it's not worth grinding and deck-building a second time.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The Moon Monster posted:

I like the gameplay but I just can not get into the story at all. It's kind of like Amalur where every aspect of the story revolved around the "fate" gimmick which I didn't car about so it made no impact. In PoE the story revolves around the "souls" gimmick which I don't care about so it's not making an impact. I just made it to act 3 and all I can tell you is that I'm chasing some guy and that I have powers.

Same here. I loved the BG/IWD games and really got into the stories but i'm actually skipping a lot of the dialogue in PoE :/

It's not very well written and the text descriptions of peoples appearance/actions before nearly every sentence spoken in a conversation is just loving annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chthon
May 29, 2013
Divinity II: Developer's Cut
The combat in this game is generally bland and the boss and mini-boss fights are by far the worst. Since it's pretty easy to gain more experience/skill points than you actually need due to the large number of side quests, enemies never really pose a real threat after a certain point, and for at least half of the game your health will regenerate faster than any enemy can inflict damage upon you. To make matters worse, your damage output doesn't really grow in proportion with your health so all boss fights pretty much consist of you rapidly clicking the left mouse button for minutes at a time while facing no real danger yourself.

But the absolutely worst thing about the combat in this game is that enemies love to heal themselves/each other frequently, unnecessarily drawing out these clickfest battles without actually making them more challenging. For regular enemies it's somewhat tolerable but for many boss fights where it takes literally two or more minutes of constant clicking just to whittle away half of their health bar, only for them to instantly heal back to 100%, it's drat infuriating. At least with the bosses they only heal a set amount of times before letting you very slowly empty the other half of their health bar which brings me to my next point.

At a certain point in the expansion (Flames of Vengeance) you come across three regular, fairly high-level (although still probably several levels beneath yourself at this point) enemies that just will not stop healing each other. Since they technically aren't bosses, they don't have a hard-coded healing count limit, but they are also many times hardier than any other regular enemy in the game for some reason, rendering them virtually unkillable unless you have been focusing on an extremely high dps build in anticipation of only this single encounter (my character is a melee-focused soldier dude so it's not like my specific build is lacking in dps in the first place). It's not a game-breaking issue, for now I've just been running/jumping around them as I complete quests while they futilely hurl spells at me, but it's a pretty questionable choice by the developers and I really don't get how it was even possible for this issue to get into the Developer's Cut (never played the original release so I have no idea how this encounter compares to that). Overall, it's just really making me dread the final boss battle and I'm considering uninstalling but I've already spent 48 hours on this game and apparently only have a couple more to go so eh.