Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Man, it's really odd to go from listening to all of Carlin's HH library and moving onto Mike Duncan. I wish I had done it the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

If anyone likes hearing about statistics and probability, I recommend BBC's More or Less podcast. The host and his team take on "dodgy" :britain: statistics with their tongues firmly planted in cheek. It's a fun listen and the only downside for me, as an American, is that some of the topics/segments are a bit UK-centric. That's a small complaint, though.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I'll second that recommendation. It's informative and fun, and will change the way you look at stats in the news for the better.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait, Brian Dunning is still in jail, right? The newest Skeptoid listener feedback ep has him back and I was like OH poo poo. is this the podcast equivalent of Shyne recording parts of his rap album in jail because that'd be awesome.
I guess it's just prerecorded, but still I hope this becomes a reality soon because I'm running out of Skeptoid eps and the mealymouthed dudes he gets to guest host aren't very listenable

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wait, Brian Dunning is still in jail, right? The newest Skeptoid listener feedback ep has him back and I was like OH poo poo. is this the podcast equivalent of Shyne recording parts of his rap album in jail because that'd be awesome.
I guess it's just prerecorded, but still I hope this becomes a reality soon because I'm running out of Skeptoid eps and the mealymouthed dudes he gets to guest host aren't very listenable

I came to ask this exact same question. Wikipedia says he was sentenced to 15 months in August of 2014, and I don't think they give you early release for good behavior on a sentence that short... Right?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

That drat Satyr posted:

I came to ask this exact same question. Wikipedia says he was sentenced to 15 months in August of 2014, and I don't think they give you early release for good behavior on a sentence that short... Right?
Dude probably used the true magic secrets he learned from crystal skulls at Bohemian Grove to break out of prison, no wonder he was trying to keep poo poo like that under wraps.

"the world's major religions can kiss my rear end"- Brian Dunning
wow this dude is hardcore

also wow he talks about his mother being attacked and raped when he was young and how it led to his interest in Big Foot

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 26, 2015

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

That drat Satyr posted:

You can look him up on the federal prisoner database. http://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/ He's there until October. I think it's harder to get out of Federal prison than state prisons, but that notion comes from TV shows and movies so I have no idea how true it is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So I finally bit the bullet and bought the HH Episodes 1-39 pack. What the hell, it costs roughly the same price as a video game these days, and I'll get way more out of it. And I was dying for more content, having gone through all of the free stuff over the past several months. I started with the Death Throes of the Republic episodes, because it's one of my favorite eras of history. But I glanced at the first episode and it's like 16 minutes? Keep in mind, this is not a complaint, but I'm curious. When does he start getting into the operatic length episodes?

Also, anything else that was different early on? What episodes should I absolutely get to sooner rather than later? Other than the Punic Wars ones everyone raves about.

I'm so excited. (And such a nerd.)

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I'd double check that download, the first 5 Death Throes of the Republic episodes should be approx 1.5 hours each, and the final episode is 5 hours long. Most of his really early episodes were under an hour though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

I'd double check that download, the first 5 Death Throes of the Republic episodes should be approx 1.5 hours each, and the final episode is 5 hours long. Most of his really early episodes were under an hour though.

Oh no, I'm sorry, I meant the first first episode. Alexander versus Hitler. I see now how I was unclear.

edit: The final Republic episode is 5 hours long? Yikes.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Oh no, I'm sorry, I meant the first first episode. Alexander versus Hitler. I see now how I was unclear.

edit: The final Republic episode is 5 hours long? Yikes.

The most recent episodes are pretty much all that long, or at least the WW1 and Mongol sagas have been.

I'm currently reading The Twelve who Ruled, and the Reign of Terror in Revolutionary France would make an amazing Hardcore History episode. As great as the WW1 series has been, I'm really excited for him to get back to more one-off episodes in the vein of Prophets of Doom.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone on the HH forums said he was doing a chronological listen to the show, and that sounded good to me. I bought the big episode pack as well and am just now into the second episode of death throes of the republic. It's an interesting way to go through it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

thrawn527 posted:

So I finally bit the bullet and bought the HH Episodes 1-39 pack. What the hell, it costs roughly the same price as a video game these days, and I'll get way more out of it. And I was dying for more content, having gone through all of the free stuff over the past several months. I started with the Death Throes of the Republic episodes, because it's one of my favorite eras of history. But I glanced at the first episode and it's like 16 minutes? Keep in mind, this is not a complaint, but I'm curious. When does he start getting into the operatic length episodes?

Also, anything else that was different early on? What episodes should I absolutely get to sooner rather than later? Other than the Punic Wars ones everyone raves about.

I'm so excited. (And such a nerd.)

Punic Nightmares: 3 hours, 51 minutes
Ghosts of the Ostfront: 5 hours, 42 minutes
Death Throes of the Republic: 12 hours, 49 minutes
Wrath of the Khans: 8 hours, 27 minutes
Blueprint for Armageddon: 17 hours, 51 minutes and counting.

His content (minus the finale of Death Throes) has been pretty reasonable up until Blueprint where he's gone completely off the deep end in regards to running length and boxing analogies.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

The final HH episode will be a 100 hour in depth history of boxing with war analogies.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Trabandiumium posted:

The final HH episode will be a 100 hour in depth history of boxing with war analogies.

"This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier.
My memory's not what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed."

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012
Has anyone bought any of the HH "Extra" episodes- are they any good?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Trabandiumium posted:

I'd absolutely listen to Carlin talk about the history of boxing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ZeusJupitar posted:

I'd absolutely listen to Carlin talk about the history of boxing.

oh my god a Dan Carlin episode specifically about Mohammad Ali would be quite incredible.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"It's a couple bucks a month that you'll never miss, but it's everything to me...I'd love to have you become my partner in this."- Brian Dunning

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
By the way, I REALLY like how Carlin handles the money stuff. It seems like he gets most of his income from donations/ads but he never begs for it and the ads are never annoying.

I actually bought some of his older series (ghosts of the ostfront and punic nightmares) twice because my father also wanted to listen to them. I could have given him my MP3s but I think Dan really deserves to get the extra dollars.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's just a buck a show, Ben needs to eat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's just a buck a show, Ben needs to eat.

If there is a Ben

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

If there is a Ben

I'm pretty sure at this stage that Dan is also Ben. Or maybe not.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If you think Eminem/Miley Cyrus/Beyonce/Justin Bieber is worth your dollar, then let's make this a two-way street.- Brian Dunning :smugdog:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I don't know why but I think it is really funny that you can pay with bitcoin in Dan's shop.

Also I just bought Thor's angels because I want to listen to it again.

I just finished Death Throes of the Republic again and I was just amazed how much more I got out of it this time.
I think I want to know more about the late republic/early empire. Are there any books you would recommend?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Rubicon by Tom Holland is pretty good. And the History of Rome podcast by Mike Duncan is great too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Any idea when Mike Duncan's audio quality in Rome gets decent? Listening to Revolutions first, it's got great audio quality throughout the whole series, but trying to start the History of Rome series from the very beginning it's obvious a lot of them are super old and I really can't be bothered with the audio quality.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Any idea when Mike Duncan's audio quality in Rome gets decent? Listening to Revolutions first, it's got great audio quality throughout the whole series, but trying to start the History of Rome series from the very beginning it's obvious a lot of them are super old and I really can't be bothered with the audio quality.

Are you still in the first 10 episodes? It improves a bunch by the mid-20s, ditching the weird echo, then slowly improves over the rest of the run.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Is there a rough point where he starts to slow down in his delivery as well? It's OK during Revolutions, but after listening to the first 10 or so of HoR it really just comes off as him reading out an essay like a first-year university student.

And after switching back and forth between those two and Hardcore History, I really prefer Dan Carlin's delivery. Especially since with the way Carlin speaks (and builds his narrative), you don't have to worry about losing track if you zone out for 10 seconds. I find that with Mike Duncan's podcasts, if I space out for more than a few seconds I lose track of what he's talking about and have to rewind.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It takes any new podcaster about a dozen or so episodes to really get their feet under them. It's why I generally skip ahead to episode twenty when I'm picking up a new podcast. Some people never improve, of course, but that's a good line for working out if someone will be worth sticking with.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

webmeister posted:

Is there a rough point where he starts to slow down in his delivery as well? It's OK during Revolutions, but after listening to the first 10 or so of HoR it really just comes off as him reading out an essay like a first-year university student.

And after switching back and forth between those two and Hardcore History, I really prefer Dan Carlin's delivery. Especially since with the way Carlin speaks (and builds his narrative), you don't have to worry about losing track if you zone out for 10 seconds. I find that with Mike Duncan's podcasts, if I space out for more than a few seconds I lose track of what he's talking about and have to rewind.

His pacing definitely improves as he goes, and he does start working in the occasional joke or goofy comment to lighten things up.

Looks like another month until we get a new Revolutions along the main narrative, but at least there's some supplemental content planned for the next few weeks.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I would also say that they have fairly different styles, in that Carlin tends to really focus on certain points and explore their significance, while Duncan tends to move quickly and be pretty detail-heavy, but making clear what the actual big, must-remember things are. Not saying either is better, each one is probably the best way to approach the specific kind of podcast they're setting out to make.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

The Real Quaid posted:

Has anyone bought any of the HH "Extra" episodes- are they any good?

I enjoyed the Logical Insanity Extra a lot. I did listen to the Mongols and Thor's Angels Extras but they weren't as memorable. He gets a little more specific into the military side of things in the Extras.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Looks like Dan Carlin is finishing Blueprints For Armageddon with the next episode:
https://mobile.twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/587676300564770817

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Anyone else ever listen to You Must Remember This? Podcast about early Hollywood, occasionally moving into later 20th Century stuff. Really well done on every level, definitely a solid evening/night-time listen. You can pretty much start on any episode, although I remember this one about Montgomery Clift being super interesting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TontoCorazon posted:

Looks like Dan Carlin is finishing Blueprints For Armageddon with the next episode:
https://mobile.twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/587676300564770817
Ah, that's cool. I kind of hope we get something next that isn't just another war. Like some of my favorite HH eps are things like Thor's Angels but especially Prophets of Doom because I hadn't even heard of that event in history before. I always prefer that sort of thing to more military/world war talk (though at least it wasn't WWII again, if it's gonna be war-themed at least it's nice when it's a lesser discussed war like WWI, don't get me wrong I really enjoyed Blueprints For Armageddon).

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah I don't get why Dan Carlin was so apologetic about Prophets of Doom when it was easily one of his most incredible and entertaining Episodes ever, every moment of that episode was thrilling, especially his delivery of it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah I don't get why Dan Carlin was so apologetic about Prophets of Doom when it was easily one of his most incredible and entertaining Episodes ever, every moment of that episode was thrilling, especially his delivery of it.

I just listened to this episode the first time about a week ago and I think he gets really self-conscious when he doesn't have a lot of solid source material. He brings it up half a dozen times in that show in particular and along with the "I am not a professional historian" disclaimers he throws around all the time he might just be uncomfortable treading on what he thinks is 'thin ice'

Personally I agree, he did a great job bringing the story and characters to life. But he was also right about a dearth of sources in English language. The Wikipedia article for the Munster Rebellion lists 5 English language sources, one is his podcast, one is an article from a contemporary Ana-Baptist publication, another 2 are short history blog posts, and the fourth is a BBC radio series.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

I just listened to this episode the first time about a week ago and I think he gets really self-conscious when he doesn't have a lot of solid source material. He brings it up half a dozen times in that show in particular and along with the "I am not a professional historian" disclaimers he throws around all the time he might just be uncomfortable treading on what he thinks is 'thin ice'

Personally I agree, he did a great job bringing the story and characters to life. But he was also right about a dearth of sources in English language. The Wikipedia article for the Munster Rebellion lists 5 English language sources, one is his podcast, one is an article from a contemporary Ana-Baptist publication, another 2 are short history blog posts, and the fourth is a BBC radio series.

Also the sources we have are almost universally from a certain slant in the event, and I think in a big way he was conscious of not just presenting the event for the sake of how thrilling it was, but I'm glad he did as in a larger way it is illustrative of not just descent into cult psychology but also the chaos of that period of the Reformation. Hardcore History is always best when it's focusing on providing a "human" perspective on the events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

420 Gank Mid posted:

I'm listening to it at the moment as well, and yeah it's obvious in places how uncomfortable he is. I think he's pretty aware that despite his "I'm not a historian" disclaimer, most of his listeners aren't that likely to do further research for themselves - especially if there isn't a whole lot more detail available. Talking about religious conflict is always fraught with danger since it's obviously something people will (still) feel passionate about, so it's a pretty brave choice for a topic all things considered.